Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

Peasants!

Yeah, you can laugh, but if you look a little deeper you'll see for yourselves that there's actually a fun element to the map as well.

You can zoom in on the map and click on the little coloured circles to see what that person has said. A lot of them use the default text, but then again, a lot of them don't. I've been watching the comments from North Korea for example, bloody hilarious:

"I'm feeling ronery"
    "Fire the missiles!"
    "Help!"

Haven't spotted any of my Peasant Girls yet but it's fun watching it, so get posting you boring bunch of peasants!

Your comment won't show up until it routinely refreshes, but it will show up soon enough if you actually post something:
    http://www.freeandopenweb.com/?utm_source=freeandopen&utm_medium=hp&utm_campaign=fo-p2-hp#loc=3/8.0000/22.0000

Post edited by pumeco on
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Len, you just have absolutely no idea of what's being said and what's (not) going on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9730618/Mayan-apocalypse-panic-spreads-as-December-21-nears.html

:eyeroll:

edited December 1969

Peter, shut-up while I take opportunities ;-)

And anyway, if I believed for even one moment that the world was about to end I would have bought a ticket to Japan by now. I would have a line of Asian babes standing in-line outside my Love Hotel room, and I'd be giving my Spore a bloody good workout and to hell with the consequences!

As it is, I'm sat here talking to you instead, and what that means it that I either have a fetish for fur or there'll be no Armageddon.

Guess which :mrgreen:

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Jamahoney:
    Calming, surreal render - I like the colours.

@Horo:
    Ohnoes... I'll again have to separate these two images to appreciate the stereo effect (crosseyed). I can only say that I already enjoy the smoothness of the shape and the material ;)

@TheSavage64:
    I like the first and 3rd version of embossed logo - just the colours seem to be the most realistic for these.

@pumeco:
    Thanks!

Horo said:
    Well I got home from tonight's gig and decided to continue with the sheath for the knife... So I added a bit more detailing... luckily it doesn't need covering in snow. :-)

Pam's snowy renders are looking really good, I think the trick with snow is to have no detail in the material. Snow has such a high reflective index that all detail within the material is easily bleached out by any light hitting it... Having said that, David's last sample with the blob sat on top of the sphere would make a fairly convincing polystyrene.

As for the renders of gems... they are all looking really nice. I've been wondering for some time if the refraction of Bryce materials would react in the same way as in the real world... and if you shine a white light onto a transparent prism, would the light split into it's spectrum colours?
    Maybe I'll have a look tomorrow.

I've also been wondering if you can get a light source to accurately simulate how a laser acts and reacts in the real world?

No, the prism doesn't work. I've experimented on this quite a while ago (which doesn't exclude the possibility that somebody comes up with a smart idea eventually). You can use Refraction to create a magnifying glass (or a telescope) using transparent 2D faces. At refraction 300, you get a x3 magnification. 2D faces can be stacked to increase magnification.

I think the prism doesn't work for the same reason light is not reflected in a mirror.

Sheath looks great!

[strike]Nope, it's not possible in Bryce because of fake caustics - not really reacting to light bouncing inside refractive objects[/strike]

So here's a little Brycean prism from me:
    - lit with white diffuse sphere with single radial of intensity of 500 (with the sphere included into influence)
    - TA on, 256 spp
    - ray depth = 8, TIR = 4
    - 3 channels - just combined w/o further postpro: R IOR = 1.4, G IOR = 1.5, B IOR = 1.6

This image is also a proof that real caustics (bent according to refractions) are achievable through the rendering with use of TA

8_prism.png
    600 x 400 - 539K
    edited December 1969

Wow, nice work and tinkering, great stuff dwsel_, another big-time Bryce tinkerer methinks :-)

edited December 1969

PS: Would love to see that at a higher RPP, would look very nice!

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Dwsel, Fantastic prism renders all around!!! I wonder if there could be a way to do this without compositing?

Len,
    I'm guessing it will only work properly with Boost Light enabled. But only Dwsel can say for sure. Hopefully you've begun to change your mind about Boost Light. When used properly it achieves much greater realism in my opinion than TA without Boost Light in most situations.

edited December 1969

To be perfectly honest Rash, I don't even know what Boost Light really does even though it's been shown, been demonstrated to me, and whatever else. I just feel really out of the loop because even a lot of what was discussed on the Committee has just disappeared from my mind completely. Even discussions about stuff that was prominent, I've forgotten a lot of it because I had little use of Bryce at the time as you know, and even less use since.

I've a lot of catching up to do before I'm up to speed on what we have now compared to what we had before. I'm not much wiser than those that had to wait to get a completed release really. Sounds ridiculous I know, but I'm just being honest, it's absolutely true.

edited December 1969

dwsel_ said:

So here's a little Brycean prism from me:
    - lit with white diffuse sphere with single radial of intensity of 500 (with the sphere included into influence)
    - TA on, 256 spp
    - ray depth = 8, TIR = 4
    - 3 channels - just combined w/o further postpro: R IOR = 1.4, G IOR = 1.5, B IOR = 1.6

This image is also a proof that real caustics (bent according to refractions) are achievable through the rendering with use of TA

Congrats, dwsel_.

When reading the prism discussion, I knew from my fiddling with Bryce5 TA that refraction would work to some extent with TA light. This is as far as I got tonight setting up a demo scene using DB's obscure lights. Not very encouraging but it's a render of sorts...

crash.jpg
    1307 x 639 - 150K
    edited December 1969

That's another new one on me, never seen a bunch of windows pop up like that before!
    I only get the one and even then that's only if it decides to actually give me one.

Annoying.

edited December 1969

They were all nested together in one spot and I pulled them apart. I suspect a lot of apparently single crash alerts may be multiples. It happened when I started messing with the materials on one of the "Background" labelled spheres.

David's gel light noise reduction trick is great at reducing Boost Light horrors, but it's still bleedin' noisy compared to normal light.

edited December 1969

Boost Light is far too perverted for me to absorb right now, but as for the error reports, I'm curious, were there eight of them?
    Maybe it's firing one off for each core or something :-D

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

ok did some testing with textures and the specular halo seeing if I could fake the prism effect without doing any post work.

here is where I am so far,

specular_testing.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 804K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Horo,
    That's a very cool surface effect. It somehow pops off the page. The hdri is doing wonderful things in the reflections. Very nice!

Dwsel,
    Yummy. Serious loving it. The demonstration looks better than expected. Beyond splendid.

Rareth,
    This is a promising preliminary result. If you can find a way to combine this approach with a more traditional one where the diamond looks more like a weighty stone, it might improve things even more. Also you might as well tip the guy onto his side, since rarely in life is a diamond stood up on its pointy end.

Peter,
    Terrible crash! Yes, Boost Light is noisy, but it is at least going about the light gathering process in a more genuine manner. Rpp is the simple answer, or maybe some further optimization of David's again brilliant gel noise solution.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Those are some mighty fine images. I really like that prism.

@Dave: Of the logos you showed, my choice is the indented logo. It's looks more like what would be on a real sheath. Nice job.

@chohole: That's a really cute image you posted. I'm a sucker for those.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Here's my attempt at faking the prism effect.
    It's subtle and not true to physics, but it gives the correct impression and is ridiculously easy to set up with no post work.

Gems.jpg
    800 x 500 - 149K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I want to say THANK YOU! to Horo and David!
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13080/

P.S. How long does the download stay?
    I have only weekends to download ...

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    ok did some testing with textures and the specular halo seeing if I could fake the prism effect without doing any post work.

here is where I am so far,

Interesting effect - looks like an iridescence for me:
    http://image0-rubylane.s3.amazonaws.com/shops/its-a-basketcase/MR-2085.2L.jpg
    http://www.gemgate.com/Diamond/Advanced/Section7/Images/irradiated_diamonds3.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridescence

pumeco said:
    PS: Would love to see that at a higher RPP, would look very nice!
    Difficult to perform, because I've already hit the maximum. I'd have to render in higher resolution and then downscale

Dwsel, Fantastic prism renders all around!!! I wonder if there could be a way to do this without compositing?

Len,
    I'm guessing it will only work properly with Boost Light enabled. But only Dwsel can say for sure. Hopefully you've begun to change your mind about Boost Light. When used properly it achieves much greater realism in my opinion than TA without Boost Light in most situations.

Dunno... Comping is quicker for me anyway from rendering the image through the complex optical system, and spectral unbiased renderers have my main interest in these areas. That was just the proof of concept of rendering prism and another test of mine to render the real caustics.

This one uses Boost Light, without it would look bland and contrastless. It uses realistic materials (realistic in the meaning that sum of main components is not exceeding 100%) so you won't get fireflies.

They can appear for example when you hit the object with non-realistic material with 25% light that gets amplified to 125% (5x amplification) then it bounces from another object that material's reflects 2/5 light strength so the light strength is then 125% * 2/5= 50% and when by accident (random thing depending on light size) it again bounces of the first object it's again amplified by 5 times, now having the 50% * 5 = 250% strength. The 125% strength can be easily blended using the AA settings and more samples per pixels, but it's not that simple for 250% light strength and stronger ones.

When I'm dealing with lots of weird/unbalanced materials I sometimes prefer to clamp the output (turn Boost Light off).

They were all nested together in one spot and I pulled them apart. I suspect a lot of apparently single crash alerts may be multiples. It happened when I started messing with the materials on one of the "Background" labelled spheres.

David's gel light noise reduction trick is great at reducing Boost Light horrors, but it's still bleedin' noisy compared to normal light.

Ouch....!
    That's bad - hope you haven't lost your whole setup. The thing with changing material of Background named objects that caused crash sound very reasonable considering the Bryce identifies objects by names not by ID. You might accidentally have tried to change the structure of real background material that doesn't have specific property you wanted it to have. Have you tried lighting a sphere or cube with the sphere dome light or a single radial with that object in the influence? It might have similar effect.

Here's my attempt at faking the prism effect.
    It's subtle and not true to physics, but it gives the correct impression and is ridiculously easy to set up with no post work.
    Nice and soft effect - looking for my eyes similar to the Rashad's Carter 'spectral dome' he mentioned in the post #954 http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9770/P945/#184939 (page 64)

edited December 2012

SELF-EDIT: Unsuitable for thread.

Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 2012

SELF-EDIT: Unsuitable for thread.

Post edited by pumeco on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

You're more than welcome. At least until the end of the year. If you need more time, just tell us.
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Kerya said:

You're more than welcome. At least until the end of the year. If you need more time, just tell us.

Thank you! End of year is really long enough. :)

edited December 2012

Horo,
    That's a very cool surface effect. It somehow pops off the page. The hdri is doing wonderful things in the reflections. Very nice!

Dwsel,
    Yummy. Serious loving it. The demonstration looks better than expected. Beyond splendid.

Rareth,
    This is a promising preliminary result. If you can find a way to combine this approach with a more traditional one where the diamond looks more like a weighty stone, it might improve things even more. Also you might as well tip the guy onto his side, since rarely in life is a diamond stood up on its pointy end.

Peter,
    Terrible crash! Yes, Boost Light is noisy, but it is at least going about the light gathering process in a more genuine manner. Rpp is the simple answer, or maybe some further optimization of David's again brilliant gel noise solution.

working on getting the mat to be a bit more subtle, more like small flashes of the colors instead of looking like they are, I'm probably going down a dead end with this, as the specular colors are not being shown on the ground plane its sitting on.. more work to do I think.

edit* well if I make the ground and backdrop just a tad reflective I can see the object, not the same though.

Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 1969

Grasshopper mind gets easily sidetracked again!

Title: Van Gogh's football

Van-Gogh.jpg
    500 x 500 - 234K
    edited December 1969

ok got the specular halo colors to be a bit less flamboyant.

specular-testing3.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 422K
    edited December 1969

And a variation:

Van Gogh's Bauble.

Van-Gogh2.jpg
    500 x 500 - 296K
    edited December 1969

Grasshopper mind gets easily sidetracked again!

Title: Van Gogh's football

football or bowlingball? either way its a nice effect, looks great as does the bauble

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Good to see this thread continues to charge ahead with some really neat and interesting renders. I particularly like the prism effect. A pity that the overhead to achieve this is so large. OK well, I've been in and out doing odd jobs, but I left my computer rendering... Here's another mix and match experiment with some materials and obscure lighting.

The model thanks to Horo for getting that from the Stanford scanning repository and also, thank you Horo for hosting our Christmas gift to the community. Hope you all find it interesting.

Example_scene_5_2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 571K
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Seaboard

Seaboard.jpg
    750 x 500 - 268K
    edited December 1969

ok starting to figure out how I got what I did, still tweaking things

specular-testing4.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 464K