Dynamic cloth + related Carrara plugins - Best Practices, Tips and Renders

Comments

• BagboyBagboy Posts: 170

Test one a success!  Yay!laugh

BsgboyTest1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 19K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Sweet!

Yeah, when it comes to new, and completely foreign tools that we're not used to, sometimes it helps to just get 'something', 'anything' in there so we can look at what buttons we have to press and what-not.

I didn't actually mean a cylinder and sphere, but that's cool too! I was actually thinking of something more like a single Michael 4 figure with a t-shirt or something like that. Something very much like what Biscuits use in her videos.

Bagboy said:

It might help if we knew what you were trying to load into it.

If it's causing an error message, there might be an issue there. Have you tried something simple just to try out the software and get a grasp of it?

Thanks again, Dart!

My plaesure. I hope we all get this thing working how we'd like it to be - it's really exciting, isn't it? Like some strange dream evolving into truth, somehow! LOL  yes

Best wishes!!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Philemo said:

@Bagboy

Just sent you a PM

thanks Philemo

Bagboy said:

Test one a success!  Yay!laugh

great news :)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

You're on your way! wink

I didn't actually mean a cylinder and sphere, but that's cool too

angel I figured I'd start as low as I could to avoid most chances that complexity was the culprit.

It's amazingly easy to set up once you learn the basic steps!

Now, to see if I can get my models to work. I'll take out the extras, like the hair, one by one, and see if I can't arrive at a place where it works with these items.

It's the "angel" sleeves of the blouse I'm most concerned with.

Thanks Dart, Phil, Head, and Philemo!

HippyGirl2sm.jpg
    480 x 720 - 35K
    edited January 2017

Pleasure :) those sleees should work a charm

here's some more from me

the skeleton one is the P4 Skeleton dropped into a box - the p4 skeleton being the cloth in this case.

the spacey one is M3 draped over the p4 skeleton - then M3 being the cloth and then given a glass shader

skelM3.jpg
    1746 x 2729 - 3M
    skel-HDR.jpg
    1637 x 1110 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on

Head Wax - you are being so creative with these - brilliant!

Thank you PhilW, just pushing it to the max the stepping back and watching. Eg M4 and k 4 won't melt, m3 has no problem , so I'd rather be an m4 on a hot day here in oz ;) 

but seriously, this plugin has so much to offer, I just spent half an hour shrink wrapping kochina clothes to k4' and they work very well, better than posers fitting room, but still as ugly when made into figures unfortunately , so its drape all the way with vwd , ! 

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I can't figure out what is VWD?

Have a look on Rendo - dynamic cloth and hair simulation, originally for Poser but our own Philemo (or Philemot over there) then developed a bridge from both Carrara and Daz Studio to integrate it into those programs. It is not perfect but it fills a massive hole in what Carrara can do, it has never had a good cloth sim available, and I would not be without it!

I've found vwd plugin and bridge for Carrara on Renderosity, but I've never used neither Poser nor V4. Just a little of M4, but for very short time. Hope to be forgiven by admirers of Victoria4, but I get sick just seeing her horrible armpits.

You don't need Poser or V4, VWD runs independently of Poser, it is a Python program.  And it can be used with any figure - or indeed no figures at all, if you would like any form of dynamic cloth simulation, it is the best we have for Carrara.

Wow! That's great! If so, I have to make a plan to try this program.

Vyusur said:

Wow! That's great! If so, I have to make a plan to try this program.

go for it, well worth it, trust me !

note to self: better wayback machine (or similar)  this thread 

edited January 2017
    head wax said:

Pleasure :) those sleees should work a charm

here's some more from me

the skeleton one is the P4 Skeleton dropped into a box - the p4 skeleton being the cloth in this case.

the spacey one is M3 draped over the p4 skeleton - then M3 being the cloth and then given a glass shader

Now that's thinking out of the box!

Very cool and eye opening!

Thanks again!

Post edited by Bagboy on

Now that's thinking out of the box!

Very cool and eye opening!

Thanks again!

thank you Bagboy :)

Man, Head Wax truly lives outside the box... I swear!

Fantastic imagination, my friend!

So it's Hot in Oz, eh? We're completely covered in ice right now! Almost impossible to stand outside! LOL

edited January 2017

Greetings Dart, ah  yes, it's so hot here I paddled out in the water the other day and my watch fogged up - because of the temperature change  - it's a g-shock but it mustr have a good shock I think

here's a play with the vwd plug in again, tjis time fitting 

http://www.daz3d.com/ichiro-clothing-pack-5-mr-claus to K4

left hand side shows finished (almost) job - right hand side shows what it looked like  before hand :)

of course you could do this in xdresser, and these aren't rigged clothes - but they are ready to go :)

method _ 

I lined the clothes up when when they werent conformed to k4

the important thing is that the orifices of the clothing eg the wrist openings, surround eg K4's wrists, the neck part, his neck etc

vwd will fix the poke through in most cases before it starts the draping

I did the pants first using k4 as the collison target

then the tunic using k4 and the pants as collision targets

then finally the coat using k4 and tunic as the collison objects

kf-cluas.jpg
    1702 x 930 - 198K
    Post edited by Headwax on

Just a recent image with the dress made in Marvelous Designer and draped in Carrara with the cloth plugin, to keep this thread alive. I'm certainly getting my money's worth from this!

Natasha-GlamourDressFinal.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 343K

That is Really, REALLY nice, Phil! Very nicely done!

You're certainly making me consider looking into Marvelous Designer!

Very nice!

She looks pretty decent from the other direction too - to show off the strappy back of the dress.

Natasha-GlamourDressRearFinal.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 381K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

And what looks really good about that dress (compared to 90% of the stuff in the store): It doesn't look like it was fitted to her with a vacuum pump! yes

And what looks really good about that dress (compared to 90% of the stuff in the store): It doesn't look like it was fitted to her with a vacuum pump! yes

Yes. If I ever do get serious into using the Genesis line of figures, I'll be getting the product that helps eliminate that. Model something that fits G2F, and then have DS make it a conforming item, when we apply shape morphs the shrink wrap occurs even if we didn't model it that way. I already have the no-poke moorphs, and they work really nice, but I'd still need the other one.

edited January 2017

That's one of the reasons I really like using cloth dynamics, everything just seems to sit more naturally on the figure. I know it is generally more work than using conforming clothing, but there are definite benefits. And of course if animating, you get more natural movement.

Post edited by PhilW on
    PhilW said:

That's one of the reasons I really like using cloth dynamics, everything just seems to sit more naturally on the figure. I know it is generally more work than using conforming clothing, but there are definite benefits. And of course if animating, you get more natural movement.

beaut render PhiW, you certainly have mastered this one.

thank you for sharing once more

To follow up:

I finally got my models to List correctly in VWD.  I never did find out why my one file wouldn't List, but I did find a workaround.  For me, anyways. wink

I ended up saving my original Carrara-generated models into the My Objects Browser. I loaded it into a scene I'd been working on for a while and, VOILA! It Listed! Yay! laugh

I have no answers why, but, it worked.  With that in mind, your milage may vary.

So, from this:

Groupie5-cropped.jpg
    437 x 640 - 55K
    edited January 2017

...to this!

Unfortunately, I could not get the hair to work.  I believe it's because it is a very big and complicated model (I did not create it). 

In sumary, this plugin is a game changer for me and my adventures in Carrara!

Groupie8-cropped.jpg
    446 x 639 - 53K
    Post edited by Bagboy on

By the way, a hat-tip to Philemo for his help on this matter! While we did not discover what that matter was (for now!), his aid kept me hopeful and was greatly appreciated. smiley