Getting on the 9 train, or not

Comments

• alienareaalienarea Posts: 514

Richard Haseltine said:

CHWT said:

What I find amusing is that how frequently we have new lingerie after the launch of G9, instead of unisex clothes, which defeats the supposed purpose of G9 (well at least the boys can now play with girls' makeup). Making clothes to suit all sexes requires extra work, I know. So I am looking forward to G10 already, G10M and G10F to be more precise.

A lot of lingerie isn't surprisng - it's popular and relatively easy to rig, if not necessarily model. There have been other products that do benefit male characters, however - whether that has been a greater proportion than with separate figues I don't know. It also isn't the only benefit of using a common base - for example, quite a few people have picked up on its making it easier to give mixed groups of characters a family likeness by using the same morphs on each.

Family likeness in real life works different. The parents look rarely similar, because they  come from different families. The children may or may not have similar faces.

• NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256

alienarea said:

The parents look rarely similar, because they  come from different families.

LOL, I don't think anyone needed this explained to them.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,513

Ninefold said:

alienarea said:

No, the goal is usuaully to have siblings share characteristics with each other and with their parents or other blood relations.

• NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256

Richard Haseltine said:

Ninefold said:

alienarea said:

No, the goal is usuaully to have siblings share characteristics with each other and with their parents or other blood relations.

Yes, I think this is pretty obvious and alienarea intentionally missed the point. 

• dirtriderdirtrider Posts: 21

I tried 9 but just couldn't dial in the body shape the way I can with 8/8.1 plus I can do whatever I want with 8. I also am not a fan of the high midriff/waist style thats been popular since around the time 9 came out for shorts, skirts and the like so I decided to stick with 8 and focus on sets, props, and pbr shaders so I can personalize my scenes more to my liking.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,728

alienarea said:

From my observations at DeviantArt there is probably a bigger demand for NSFW content  than for similar looking siblings.

DA is only the tip of the iceberg on that score. I dare not say more. surprise

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,169

Ninefold said:

alienarea said:

With my two daughters, one looks like my wife, one looks like a female version of me. They look utterly unrelated. Victoria 8 & Charlotte 8 look more related than my daughters. Reality is messier than simple assumptions. Regards, Richard.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,770

richardandtracy said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Ninefold said:

alienarea said:

With my two daughters, one looks like my wife, one looks like a female version of me. They look utterly unrelated. Victoria 8 & Charlotte 8 look more related than my daughters. Reality is messier than simple assumptions. Regards, Richard.

It must be difficult for you to pick a favourite.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,785

I'm super slow to upgrade figures unless pushed by a commission or something. My upgrade from generation 4 figures didn't happen until Genesis 8, lol.

I can't fathom how much I've spent over the years and have never used or only used once. So trying to make wiser buying habits. 

• johnjohn808johnjohn808 Posts: 143
    edited May 15

I gave it a fair shot and spent a small fortune of G9 stuff. But those unnatural looking bend, and wierd armpits make me return to 8.1 because it doesn`t look like they are interested in fixing it.

PA`s are now pumping out mostly G9 stuff here, so I have been giving most of my money to RH as most there are still making 8/8.1 assets and not hopping on the G9 train.

Yeah the bends look ok with clothes on, but I only make adult art so other than hight heels, my characters detest wearing clothes wink

Post edited by johnjohn808 on
  • PraxisPraxis Posts: 241

johnjohn808 said:

I gave it a fair shot and spent a small fortune of G9 stuff. But those unnatural looking bend, and wierd armpits make me return to 8.1 because it doesn`t look like they are interested in fixing it.

PA`s are now pumping out mostly G9 stuff here, so I have been giving most of my money to RH as most there are still making 8/8.1 assets and not hopping on the G9 train.

Yeah the bends look ok with clothes on, but I only make adult art so other than hight heels, my characters detest wearing clothes wink

I'm surprised meipe (or...?) has not yet (that I know of) made full neck-down GeoGrafts for G9, to provide detailed base-resolution meshes optimized for the human male & female, with all the desired detail for breasts, navel, genitals, glutes, hands, feet, etc.  Looking at this thread I imagine the potential market to be "quite huge".devil

edited May 15

Praxis said:

johnjohn808 said:

I'm surprised meipe (or...?) has not yet (that I know of) made full neck-down GeoGrafts for G9, to provide detailed base-resolution meshes optimized for the human male & female, with all the desired detail for breasts, navel, genitals, glutes, hands, feet, etc.  Looking at this thread I imagine the potential market to be "quite huge".devil

Yeah meipe has made G9 versions of both male and female "elements" but both the Female " lower" and  "chest' products seems really off compared to the 8.1 versions, so I dont use them. The male element is ok though. 

3feetwolf`s gens are a lot more natural looking and I`ve been using those on G9 if I`m not doing the old torso (Body on G9) paste trick on Daz`s Anatomical Elements.

Post edited by johnjohn808 on
  • alienareaalienarea Posts: 514

johnjohn808 said:

+1

xyer0 said:

richardandtracy said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Ninefold said:

alienarea said:

It must be difficult for you to pick a favourite.

That's very easy, as they both know. My favourite is feline.

I am still at the point where the train is travelling without me. I have bought 5 G9 characters, all discounted, some very discounted. They're Mousso Dola & Red, CB Lores and Thorne's Nala. And V9. The sum of the frequency of my use of the five G9 characters is not as high as my usage of V3. I am really that enamoured with G9...

Regards,

Richard.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,513

johnjohn808 said:

on the bends, was Base Joint Correctives set to 100%?

• So, the other day I rendered a G9 character, Fabrice (part of the Starter Essentials). I was doing some NPC portraits for an RPG I am running & thought, "What the heck, why not use a G9?" Did take me a few minutes to figure out the new bones but easy otherwise. I used a G3F hair and the pants & shoes were from a G3M set. The G3 clothing autofit easily. The shoes might not be a perfect fit but I didn't need them to be for this project. I used one of the included poses and tweaked it. The props were for G8 and loaded close to where they needed to be which surprised me.

Since this trial worked well, I probably will start using the Essentials characters, & the free Kin character, a little more. I doubt I will purchase much for G9 any time soon due to budget, however. 

Richard Haseltine said:

johnjohn808 said:

on the bends, was Base Joint Correctives set to 100%?

Thanks RIchard, yes its enabled. 

All of the 6 which originally came turned off are turned on by default after one of the updates.

FACS  Detail Strength - 100%
    Eye Resting Focal Point - 100% 
    Eye Look Automatic - 100%
    Body Pose Detail Strength - 100%
    Flexion Automatic Strength - 100%
    Base Joint Correctives - 100%

I think it`s just G9`s anatomy design. 

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,275
    There's too many hoops to jump through to get an acceptable looking male out of G9 for me. Maybe G10 will be better, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,953
    edited May 17

I'm currently at the front shoveling in coal, as this is a steam engine after all! ;^)

Can't believe G9 is over 2 years old already!

Before manning the engine of the train, I was waiting for UNBM and picked up Natural movement packs, which pretty much solves most of the bend issues, (However, some areas are not as developed which is why I love my ZBrush!) but most people should just get one or the other as some morphs clash horribly when used in conjunction with each other, unless you have ZBrush and don't mind creating compatibility morphs, which is half the fun!

EDIT: I also am still using G3/8 as they are still viable, and really, some of the best generations of characters!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • I only render in 3Delight and with everything being Iray I can't really make the leap to 9.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,829
    edited May 19

I keep on shoping for G8 stuff or environment props only.
    G9 and (that other thingy, that I won't mention here, in order to not distract from this topic), are almost breaking my fun in playing with DAZStudio, and making the voice in my head reminding me to learn Blender even louder.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

So not been about for ages and have no real plans to come back unless G10 is different.

Any rumours about G10?

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,829

nicstt said:

So not been about for ages and have no real plans to come back unless G10 is different.

Any rumours about G10?

I'd be all open about G10 as I have been about G9 before its release. 
    It is just to early to even think of G10.
    Let's talk about G10 in three years again.

Masterstroke said:

I keep on shoping for G8 stuff or environment props only.
    G9 and (that other thingy, that I won't mention here, in order to not distract from this topic), are almost breaking my fun in playing with DAZStudio, and making the voice in my head reminding me to learn Blender even louder.

I understand. It's probably a good idea to learn some Blender, anyway - If not the whole program, at least the parts you want/need to do what you want to do. As I'm in it for the lulz and enjoy playing with my content-toys of various generations, I'm still happy in DS. I ignore that other thingy. I've used my adblocker to make site links to all that vanish - Same with forum threads. That makes it a lot easier and less stressful for me to get along here.

Obviously, I've let the G9 train leave without me. I don't feel I'm missing out as I am using items through G8.1 . I;m accumulating some G9 despite it all, I suppose I'll have to address that sooner or later. Mostly, it's later.

nicstt said:

Any rumours about G10?

I expect G10 would be somehow connected with DS5. Yet, DS5 increasingly looks like vaporware. So, only DAZ knows.

• TobiasTobias Posts: 107

Timbales said:

There's too many hoops to jump through to get an acceptable looking male out of G9 for me. Maybe G10 will be better, but I'm not holding my breath.

This right here.  I've gotten a few G9 characters when they are on a deep discount but generally use them fully clothed. 

Then, of course, finding male content for G9 is such a chore.  You have to wade through a ton of female content to find anything useful for the guys. I generally don't bother anymore.

Most of the G8/8.1 stuff left here are things that I have already passed over multiple times over the last couple of years in various sales.

Most of what I buy here now are evironments, props and shaders when they are on sale.  

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,988

Torquinox said:

nicstt said:

Any rumours about G10?

I expect G10 would be somehow connected with DS5. Yet, DS5 increasingly looks like vaporware. So, only DAZ knows.

With the sudden out of nowhere implementation of Daz AI Studio. One does wonder whether we will see Daz Studio 5 at all, since it has been just total radio silence from Daz about it.

@Ghosty12 : +100!