3D Comic Book Tips And Pictures

1394041424345»

Comments

• csaacsaa Posts: 812

3Diva said:

I've been away for a LONG time, so I haven't been keeping up with the thread much. But I wanted to say this is awesome! I really love how this turned out! Nicely done!

3Diva.

Thanks for the kind remarks! smiley

Yes, you've been away for a while. I remember you were sharing very interesting techniques and samples using Sketchy and generative AI. I'm still exploring NPR and having a blast at what a Daz-Blender-CSP workflow could do. Here's something I was working on last night.

Cheers!

• BrashFinkBrashFink Posts: 89

csaa said:

BrashFink,

The characters look striking and the even palette matches the gritty cyberpunk (or post apocalyptic) setting.

Cheers!

Thanks, appreciate it. Your stuff is progressing nicely as always.

I watched a number of video on the tool you use. It's facinating. I am actually starting to lean completely the other direction though. I am taking a figure drawing class next semester. This re-inking I have been doing seems to be rekindling my drawing skills. I may be switching using daz as a reference and just basiclly redrawing the whole thing and manually coloring it. We'll see how things progress.

edited May 8

Hey guys... I was asked to do the cover for a comic my university makes to showcase student art. This is the cover...

Post edited by BrashFink on
  • David RDavid R Posts: 227

BrashFink said:

Hey guys... I was asked to do the cover for a comic my university makes to showcase student art. This is the cover...

Absolutely dazzling! laugh 

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,803

that's some really cool work, congrats!

• Xandyr78Xandyr78 Posts: 104

BrashFink said:

Holy smokes that looks great!  Forgive me if this exists earlier in the thread (45 pages is a lot to sift through), but I'd love to see a breakdown of your settings/process!

Linwelly said:

Your stuff is stellar, Linwelly!  I've loved keeping up on Globalcomix.  I will say that sometimes the dialogue is a little hard to follow, as it's not always conversational English.  I hope this isn't an offensive statement, but if you're ever interested in having someone assist with localization, I'd be happy to offer help.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,803

Xandyr78 said:

Linwelly said:

Your stuff is stellar, Linwelly!  I've loved keeping up on Globalcomix.  I will say that sometimes the dialogue is a little hard to follow, as it's not always conversational English.  I hope this isn't an offensive statement, but if you're ever interested in having someone assist with localization, I'd be happy to offer help.

thanks a lot for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed it, part three will start out soon on Globalcomix.

About the language, I'm not a native speaker, but in 90% of the cases the odd use of the language is quite intentional (I'm aware that there are still some real mistakes in there I keep missing)

if you're interested to join my discord server, send me a DM here so I can give you an invite. That way it might be easier to go over the things you found difficult to read and I can see if I intended it the the way it is or not

Xandyr78 said:

Holy smokes that looks great!  Forgive me if this exists earlier in the thread (45 pages is a lot to sift through), but I'd love to see a breakdown of your settings/process!

Thanks! I have semi explained, but not in detail, Maybe I will post something with more detail.

The short answer is...

1. Pose and Render
    2. Multilayers in Photoshop
    3. Layers altered via some Photshop plugin work... Colors... Lines... and additional black areas
    4. Export whole mess to Procreate on an iPad
    5. Some Colorwork fixed on iPad (maybe 10% of image)
    6. Lastly a LOT of linework (probably 70% or more) is literally redrawn with an Apple Pencil.
  • bugbearbugbear Posts: 7

Wow, some great work in this thread!

I've recently begun a comic project of my own, mainly for personal enjoyment and to try new things.

Here's the first two pages:

TWR_IP001.jpg
    656 x 900 - 704K
    TWR_IP002.jpg
    655 x 900 - 564K
  • bugbearbugbear Posts: 7

BrashFink said:

There's been a few posts rightly praising your technique on this one, but I want to complement the actual image design. I love the look of the futuristic city being built in, around, on top of, and in place of the older buildings. It's a vibe that's very familiar to anyone living in a modern-day city. The composition is also vibrant and exciting.

BrashFink said:

Xandyr78 said:

Thanks! I have semi explained, but not in detail, Maybe I will post something with more detail.

The short answer is...

1. Pose and Render
    3. Layers altered via some Photshop plugin work... Colors... Lines... and additional black areas
    6. Lastly a LOT of linework (probably 70% or more) is literally redrawn with an Apple Pencil.

I don't use Procreate or an Apple Pencil (I'm sadly a luddite PC fella).  Do you use a multi-pass render setup to get your layers?

bugbear said:

I've recently begun a comic project of my own, mainly for personal enjoyment and to try new things.

Two pages in, and I already want to know everything.  I have so many questions and MUST READ MORE!!

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,481

I will always be interested in a story set in Toronto.

edited May 22

Xandyr78 said:

BrashFink said:

The short answer is...

1. Pose and Render

I don't use Procreate or an Apple Pencil (I'm sadly a luddite PC fella).  Do you use a multi-pass render setup to get your layers?

I use both PC and Mac. PC is for gaming and Daz. Daz works on my Mac, but I do almost everything else on my Mac, so I can have the PC rendering while I go do other tasks.

No, the layers are made in photoshop using different plugins. I make use of Filter Forge quite a bit.

The renders are actually pretty low quality since I am just going to just use plugins anyway. The size is pretty large, most pages are 6300px tall, but they typlically only render for 35-45 mins.

edited May 22

bugbear said:

Oh sorry, I missed this before. Looking good. I especially like the last panel.

EDIT: Oh one small thing. Page 2, panel 4... This panel layout is usually avoided because it is confusing which should be panel 5. Normal convention is to go right. On top of that, the dialog is in the upper part of that panel, which makes peoples eyes want to go there next. In your panel though, it kind of works because you can sort of dance back and forth down the page.

The bottom half of this page talks both about the panel issue and flow of dialog on the page. It's pretty facinating...

https://globalcomix.com/news/details/243/creator-tips-and-tricks-7-paneling-and-flow-in-comics