edited November 2016 in Bryce Discussion
  • 22nd Daz3D Bryce Render challenge

•  

• Now Sponsored by Daz 3D

•  

•  Theme for this challenge is ~~"SPORT"~~

•  

• Orbital said 

As a theme, I'd like to suggest Sport seeing as we have just had the Olympics and the Paralympics are now underway.
    So anything to do with a type of sport.

As usual postwork allowed but Bryce should be the dominant feature.

Can you think outside the box with this one? or would you rather be traditional. 

Your imagination is the only limit.

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before the render is transferred to the actual Contest thread for judging. You don't have to do that.we collect up all the finished ones and make the thread, with each render given a number and title, but no artist name shown, so it's a blind judging thread for the judging panel.

Rules

• 

All renders must be new renders.
  • 

You can enter up to 3 renders.
  • 

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS
  • 

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.
  • 

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.
  • 

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.
  • 

The winner of the Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the next contest.
  • 

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the minimum of delay between contests.
  • 

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

Please don't post your entry renders anywhere else until after the Challenge is judged, as judging is done in a blind judging thread, so the Judges don't know who has done which image.

Challenge ends on 31st October :- Midnight DAZ 3D time

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist Place $30
2nd Place $20
3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D Store Credit will be given to the people whose renders are selected as the Honourable mentions,
$10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team and guest judges.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,355

Lovely theme, hope to see many awesome entries.

I'll pass on this challenge unless I can come up with something without people or animals.

In the meantime enjoy an old animation - not an entry - Dolphins heading a ball

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/504192120757390254/

• S RayS Ray Posts: 399
    edited September 2016

Fishing……….Some call it a sport, some call it a hobby. Green Girl does it for food & fun.                

GreenGirl_01.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 1M
    Post edited by S Ray on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,884

Nice work, S Ray!

Like Mermaid, I don't really know what to do with this theme. Though I do have some people and animals, making a great Sport render requires maybe too much people posing for me. But, some inspiration might come later.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115

S Ray : very nice render !

Same here : no inspiration, maybe later .....

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,499

S Ray - I like the idea and how it came out. Good POV, too.

• I'm no sport fan at all, but I can think of plenty of sport renders I could do...

As "inspiration" seems to be an issue for this challenge for some, here are a few ideas to help people out:

Sports equipment (bats & balls, darts, goalposts, motorsport etc.)

Sports settings (stadiums, golf courses, swimming pools etc)

Sports Trophies (medals, cups etc)

Abstract themes: Teamwork, effort, training, acheivement etc.

smiley

Dave - thank you for your inspirations, no sports enthusiast, either. I add injuries and accidents and on a more positive side scuba diving, climbing, wing-suit and parachute flying.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Thinking outside the box

Full Definition of sport

1. intransitive verb

2. 1a :  to amuse oneself :  frolic <lambs sporting in the meadow>b :  to engage in a sport

3. 2a :  to mock or ridicule somethingb :  to speak or act in jest :  trifle

4. 3 [2sport] :  to deviate or vary abruptly from type (as by bud variation) :  mutate

5. transitive verb

6. 1 :  to display or wear usually ostentatiously :  boast <sporting expensive new shoes>

7. 2 [2sport] :  to put forth as a sport or bud variation

• @ S Ray: Very nice idea, great view and good rendering.

And that with a difficult topic this time because I do not have much on sport for Bryce.
    Therefore here's a very simple, first try:
    Free climbing.

Free Climber .jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
  • Chohole said:

Thinking outside the box

The theme of sport and the word "box" conjours up unpleasant images indecision laugh

SRay - nice start to the challenge.

Dave - thanks for the ideas and nspiration yes

Drachenlords - your simple render is awesome

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited September 2016

Just quickly set up and rendered one of my renders....

Title: In The Rough

InTheRough.jpg
    975 x 975 - 516K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • Thanks S Ray.

@ Dave: Thats is a very cool Render and a great idea..

• drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821
    edited September 2016

My second attempt:

Diver

Diver.jpg
    1600 x 1194 - 1M
    Post edited by drachenlords on

drachenlords :  Climbing is a nice image, good idea.

Diver is a superb image.

Dave Savage : cool idea, nice render

Drachenlords - Diver is a great render.

Dave Savage - lovely idea, inspiring by examples, thanks smiley

Drachenlords: Two wonderful renders. I specifically like the free climbing, because of the POV.

Dave Savage: Very good idea and very well made. And thanks for the inspiration.

Chohole: Thanks for the definitions; let's frolic! I would like to add, that we should not be limited to English, should we? a sport in Dutch (next to the same meaning as in English) also is a 'rung' or step of a ladder.

Drachenlords - great climbing scene, very nice rock and the lady od well posed. Diver looks very natural in a natural environment, very convincing.

Dave - cool idea, well done golf course.

edited September 2016
    Hansmar said:

Drachenlords: Two wonderful renders. I specifically like the free climbing, because of the POV.

Chohole: Thanks for the definitions; let's frolic! I would like to add, that we should not be limited to English, should we? a sport in Dutch (next to the same meaning as in English) also is a 'rung' or step of a ladder.

The trouble with allowing that is that only people who speak or understand Dutch would get the connection.    English does tend to be the norm across the general interenet, even if it has variations, like American english etc.

• Chohole said:
    English does tend to be the norm across the general interenet, even if it has variations, like American english etc.

Which variation of English is the term; 23nd? laugh laugh laugh

edited September 2016
    Chohole said:
    English does tend to be the norm across the general interenet, even if it has variations, like American english etc.

Which variation of English is the term; 23nd? laugh laugh laugh

I think it could be related to English gobbedygook,  but it would more likely simply be english gibberish.    engobbledygook   or engibberish for short.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited September 2016

Then maybe a little edit of this thread's title is required Chohole laugh

My second attempt: With a few tweaks to the leatherette material and the grass done in a different technique to make it look more like Astroturf.

Title Football Ball

FootballBall2.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 789K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on

Wow Dave, lovely image - definitely inspired to do entries for this challenge, Thankswink

edited September 2016
    Chohole said:
    Hansmar said:

The trouble with allowing that is that only people who speak or understand Dutch would get the connection.    English does tend to be the norm across the general interenet, even if it has variations, like American english etc.

Of course, I thought of that. So it would be very clear that we would also need a couple of Dutch judges. Preferably some vintage one, because I think that many young Dutchmen don't even know the meaning of sport anymore cheeky

So, I'll keep to the sweaty, exhausting kind, if I make a render.

Fantastic leather texture, Dave!

Post edited by Hansmar on
  • Thanks for the nice comments.

@Dave: This ball look so realistic. Fantastic!

And here my last entry:
    Motocross

Motocross 2.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M

Dave Savage : great leather texture

drachenlords : wow..... great render !

Hansmar : I also speak Dutch, but (in my opinion) we should stick to the English language, which is (like Chohole says) the norm on the net.

Dave - the soccer ball looks really great.

Drachenlords - great motocross scene, very well done.

• Thanks adbc and Horo.

• S RayS Ray Posts: 399
    edited September 2016

drachenlords , great underwater caustics. Especially the volume light...Motorcross reminds me when I was young, nice dust trail.

Dave Savage…wow the detail. Are those  models ( Scoccer & Golf ) or texture mapping  spheres? Nice camera blur to

Post edited by S Ray on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,298

I've only just noticed this contest so I thought I'd better take a look:

S Ray - great idea, interesting viewpoint and nice water and vegetation.
    drachenlords - three entries already! The rock-climbing is a really good idea and nicely done. The diving is even better (I especially like the light rays, caustics and bubbles). The motocross though is just brilliant!
    Dave Savage - thanks for all the ideas (though I still can't think what to do). Your golf render looks really good, the football has a very realistic look and the astroturf effect came out well.