Carrara Challenge #28: “Marriage” WIP Thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

This might get deleted, but it is offered for its educational value for our buddies across the pond, not for its commercial status.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Been spared that. For a long time I thought a Twinkie was something rude . . . (still never had one)

Yup... they're rude alright!

diomede said:

Thanks.  Click on this to see at higher render settings (caustics for the refleciton).  I think the chocolate is working pretty well.  Still trying to get the peanut butter right.  Might need to replicate a few crumbs.

I tried one of those for the first time last week (they're not generally available in this country) - yum indeed! smiley

I been living in USA for more then 20 years and I still do not like peanut butter, lol, Fact: they have the worst commercials on the TV I have ever seen laugh

Yeah... I've never left this country (US) and I don't watch TV - mostly because of those dreaded freaking stupid commercials! Argh!

Love Peanut Butter though! That's a US thing?

I keep a good stock of PB on hand - and recently started putting globs of it on a branch outside for the squirrel, whom just loves the stuff now too! He doesn't even move away when I come out with the jar anymore - so we sit together and enjoy PB! Pals!

wgdjohn said:
    diomede said:

Still trying to get the peanut butter right.  Might need to replicate a few crumbs.

What is going on with the vertical lines in the peanut butter?  If I were doing this I'd use a lot of Bump... perhaps make a tug here and there to give some parts a very uneven look. I buy plenty of indiviual packed peanut butter cups for the kids each Haloween and end up finishing off what's left over. I usually break them in half instead of biting into them... then eat one half a pb cup at a time. Mmmm... almost that time of year.

Teeth marks, they look like to me

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Dart, you should see the world while it's still here: we got . . . stuff! laugh

@Diomede I'm saying nothing!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited October 2016

Peanut Butter is great to use on mouse and rat traps.. gets them every time yes

actually that has just given me an idea for the challenge devil

Post edited by Stezza on
    edited October 2016

And here is a start on a more traditional project.

I loaded the skirt twice and then applied a lace texture map to the alpha map of the outer skirt. 

The G2F is wearing the pincess gown by cute3d.  All the textures had to be redone.  The veil is a vertex object.  The G2M is wearing the Edwardian evening suit for David 3 with shaders redone.  The flowers are by Lisa Botanicals (morphed to fit in boquet holder). 

The boquet holder is a formula object from "that great French site.".

a=5;
    p=2*PI*u;
     q=4*v;
     x=a*cos(p)/cosh(q);
     y=a*sin(p)/cosh(q);
     z=a*(q-tanh(q));

The ring is another formula object.

d=1+p1;e=1+p2;
     p=2*PI*(u-0.5);
     q=2*PI*(v-0.5);
     x=(d+e*cos(q))*cos(p);
     y=(d+e*cos(q))*sin(p);
     z=e*sin(q);

The background is a bigradient in the background scene channel and a volumetric cloud wth its color adjusted to a slight tint of yellow placed in the distance.

assemble room wedding.JPG
    1523 x 1008 - 188K
    wedding traditional.jpg
    800 x 1280 - 86K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Killer render, diomede!!! Love it!

@Diomede I'm saying nothing!

Where? What stuff? diomede... what's he talking about? surprise

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

This is the time old marriage between mouse and cheese and that trap.. and how to get around it..

Spent this arvo making a mouse trap, wall with mouse hole and the floor before the NRL Grand Final starts..  as well as decking out the mouse in his gear... that will be it for the next 24 hours,, hic... 

trapWiP1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 146K
    wall WiP.jpg
    883 x 653 - 117K
    Mission Impossible sketch.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 115K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    diomede said:

And here is a start on a more traditional project.

I loaded the skirt twice and then applied a lace texture map to the alpha map of the outer skirt. 

The G2F is wearing the pincess gown by cute3d.  All the textures had to be redone.  The veil is a vertex object.  The G2M is wearing the Edwardian evening suit for David 3 with shaders redone.  The flowers are by Lisa Botanicals (morphed to fit in boquet holder). 

The boquet holder is a formula object from "that great French site.".

a=5;
    p=2*PI*u;
     q=4*v;
     x=a*cos(p)/cosh(q);
     y=a*sin(p)/cosh(q);
     z=a*(q-tanh(q));

The ring is another formula object.

d=1+p1;e=1+p2;
     p=2*PI*(u-0.5);
     q=2*PI*(v-0.5);
     x=(d+e*cos(q))*cos(p);
     y=(d+e*cos(q))*sin(p);
     z=e*sin(q);

The background is a bigradient in the background scene channel and a volumetric cloud wth its color adjusted to a slight tint of yellow placed in the distance.

that's a beautiful render diomede 

@stezza, I can see your heart is in this design :)

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited October 2016

Thought I'd better get busy... downloaded some swords during fast grab... too busy/lazy to simply model one.  Finally got to work on changing shaders... entirely replaced all texture map shaders with procedurals except for the blade and the handle which I'm modified while leaving the texture maps intact. Blade has reflection added... wanted something different for handle so made quite a few changes.

Sword at left is with texture maps only while sword on right is what I've modified... could use a bit more tweaking but close enough if I don't get back to it. Now onto modeling something to Marry this to. Hmmmm....

Oops... forgot to mention that everone is doing Quite Well... Keep those cards and renders coming... me likes!

Sword_DAZ_103.png
    640 x 480 - 589K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited October 2016

Agree, Dart, you should get to the UK and check out the stuff.  Some of it is even theirs.  I spent some college time there (hesitate to say I studied there).

I know there is a pile of rocks - http://www.stonehenge.co.uk/

.but frankly the saunas are little out of date

I don't remember much from the school in Scotland
    that I attended  https://www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk/training/training-courses

but I'm sure people get a lot out of it.

Post edited by Diomede on

Fantastic idea.  Can't wait to see the mouse super-theif gear. 

Stezza said:

This is the time old marriage between mouse and cheese and that trap.. and how to get around it..

Spent this arvo making a mouse trap, wall with mouse hole and the floor before the NRL Grand Final starts..  as well as decking out the mouse in his gear... that will be it for the next 24 hours,, hic... 

Great job on the textures.  Can see the improvement in the blade.

wgdjohn said:

Thought I'd better get busy... downloaded some swords during fast grab... too busy/lazy to simply model one.  Finally got to work on changing shaders... entirely replaced all texture map shaders with procedurals except for the blade and the handle which I'm modified while leaving the texture maps intact. Blade has reflection added... wanted something different for handle so made quite a few changes.

Sword at left is with texture maps only while sword on right is what I've modified... could use a bit more tweaking but close enough if I don't get back to it. Now onto modeling something to Marry this to. Hmmmm....

Oops... forgot to mention that everone is doing Quite Well... Keep those cards and renders coming... me likes!

diomede said:

Agree, Dart, you should get to the UK and check out the stuff.  Some of it is even theirs.  I spent some college time there (hesitate to say I studied there).

that I attended  https://www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk/training/training-courses

I'd love to! So TangoAlpha's from UK? Yeah... Rosie and I are planning to checking it out some time... when and how are the other things. She really wants to. Me, on the other hand... I like it here - I know the rules (at least two of them anyways) and I can almost always walk home ;)

But I'd still LOVE to go!

Other parts of the world, too!

edited October 2016
    Stezza said:

Man! Do the next image up on the ledge... the other mice cranking up the gear - empty and mangled.

The scientist mouse in the background scratching his head... "Back to the ol' drawing board" LOL

EDIT:

Forgot to add - Very cool concept and work, Stezza!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited October 2016

Working on my sword Marriage again... Next step put in in a scene from a well known PA.

Sword_InStone_01.png
    640 x 480 - 295K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    diomede said:

cant get mars bars in the States.  had to order from UK

cant get true Quark cheese, marzipan, butterscotch cadbury,  true Guiness

pretty much deprived  lol

Mars bars? We have those and even Zagnut in Wisconsin. We even still have Clove gum!

They have Bars on Mars? :)

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    wgdjohn said:

They have Bars on Mars? :)

As shown in this documentary: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100802/ laugh

edited October 2016

Using "Environ Kit - Woodlands" by Dartanbeck to place the sword and a few of my modeled stone into.  Now onto adding a few more elements and effects to accent the Sword in the Stone.

[Edit - 8am - I've already improved the scene further by adding a light to shine only on the Sword and add some light glow to the top of the stone... now off to add some more content to dress up the scene a bit without overwhelming it]

Sword_InStone21.png
    800 x 450 - 492K

?? I have a few things yet to learn. These are things I wanted to try out for added effects. ??

• Add a glint or starbust to the blade of the sword. Is there something in Carrara or will I need to add it in post?
    • Add a light cone shining down on the sword and stone.
    • I know everything else... :)

I added a spot light and made adjustments but it could use something else.  I also added bits from Howie Farkes scenes... grass, ferns and some saplings. Looks a bit better than the render I just posted.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited October 2016

If I'm reading this correctly, a Huge Congratulations is in order to my dear friend/mentor!

Congratulations, Phil!!! 

It's been eighteen years for Rosie and Me - and it's by far the BEST thing I've ever done in my entire life! She's my reason for living as are our children - now grown and living on their own (I adopted them at ages 8 and 12). My life has become so much better with them in it.  

It's not me - I have been very happily married for over 36 years, it is one of our four sons who is getting married to a lovely girl, so we are all thrilled, but also very busy (with lots of things actually, not just the wedding), hence I'm only just getting a chance to catch up with this thread!  The theme was my idea but my thanks to Chickenman for running it - I know it is in safe hands!

Post edited by PhilW on
    diomede said:

I'd love to! So TangoAlpha's from UK? Yeah... Rosie and I are planning to checking it out some time... when and how are the other things. She really wants to. Me, on the other hand... I like it here - I know the rules (at least two of them anyways) and I can almost always walk home ;)

Let me know if you and Rosie ever make it to the UK!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    diomede said:

Yeah, Oxford. Home of the dictionary, & only city to have its own comma! You'll have seen bits of it in movies from Harry Potter to X-Men (it's quite photogenic), and a bunch of TV shows -- Morse, Lewis, Endeavour -- are set here.

Ah, the city of dreaming spires - and aspiring dreams! My family (briefly) lived on the Banbury Road in Oxford when I was about 8 years old...

edited October 2016
    wgdjohn said:

?? I have a few things yet to learn. These are things I wanted to try out for added effects. ??

• Add a glint or starbust to the blade of the sword. Is there something in Carrara or will I need to add it in post?
    • Add a light cone shining down on the sword and stone.
    • I know everything else... :)

I added a spot light and made adjustments but it could use something else.  I also added bits from Howie Farkes scenes... grass, ferns and some saplings. Looks a bit better than the render I just posted.

You can add a light glint as a post-effect right inside Carrara:

1. Insert a light bulb
    2. Set the range very low, the falloff to 100% and the intensity to 1% so that it is not actually lighting anything
    3. On the effects tab for the bulb, click "Edit" under Lens Flare
    4. Select the "glint" preset from the dropdown
    5. Adjust settings to taste from there

Before and after, with the glint and without, just using the default settings for the glint preset:

BEFORE - no glintAFTER - with glint

You can stack multiple effects on one lightbulb or duplicate the bulb and add a different effect to each one to get all kinds of cool combinations.  I usually go the one effect per bulb route just to have more control, because some of the various effects take their color or strength from the light's settings.

Glint000setup.JPG
    1433 x 949 - 151K
    Glint001setup.jpg
    1367 x 1011 - 207K
    Glint002before.jpg
    480 x 640 - 22K
    Glint003after.jpg
    480 x 640 - 22K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

I never knew that.  Thanks, Mark.

edited October 2016
    diomede said:

I never knew that.  Thanks, Mark.

laugh

I love Carrara's Lens Flare - it is super versatile.  The same effect that creates that glint above also created the light effects around the spotlights in this image:

...the glow around the lights in this one:

...and the more traditional lens flare effects in these two:

I highly recommend playing around with the presets on the lens flare if you never have before.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on