Carrara Challenge #28: “Marriage” WIP Thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

I think a formula wedding ring might be in line for glint.  You may have created a glint monster. 

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited October 2016

MDO, Great... thanks... just what I was looking for. I also added "Easter Star" effect in addion to the glint with another bulb. Will have to play with some more. "Flare" is a first... don't think I ever tried that option. Below is a test render before adding to the scene.

Thanks again, And for posting those extra renders.

There seems no end to the limits that Carrara can achive. As Dart says... Carrara Rocks!

Sword_InStone_01b.png
    640 x 480 - 310K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on

Contest, Content and Modeling comments.

• Every Carrara Challenge I walk away learning more than one thing.  This alone is worth entering.  Most important is to not overlook any "Edit" button. I've found how to add a Light Cone.  Thanks to MDO201 for pointing me in the direction of Lens Flare and it's many functions.
    • This time I've chosen to use some Carrara content purchased recently.  If you buy something then you should use it.
    • Additionally I modeled a few boulders... all of these are partially hidden underneath Dartanbeck's wonderful "Woodlands Environ Kit".  This round I decided not to use one of my own Terrain nor model a new one.

Modeling in Carrara is Funnnnn!   Oh yeah... Carrara Rocks!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

MDO, that glint effect is waay cool, and I never knew about it. Definitely going to use it lots now! laugh

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited October 2016

Even Superheroes do knot the tie.......

Lets see where this brings me .... 

Doc1.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 126K
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I'm liking the lacey catwoman outfit!

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574

Thanks PhilW. All homemade... I'll have to give him a bit better costume, fitting for a wedding ..

Lol!

edited October 2016

MDO, that glint effect is waay cool, and I never knew about it. Definitely going to use it lots now! laugh

TA,  Be sure to try out some of the other effects... I'm using Glint along with Easter Star... one each for 2 bulb lights... I've a 3rd bulb but it was overkill so I made it "invisible"... just in case I want to go back and explore, tweak, it more.

Note to All,  As MDO stated earlier "Lens Flare" is a Post effect which Carrara will do after the entire image is rendered. If you don't see the effect during the render you will have to wait until the entire image is rendered... Afterwards the effect(s) are applied/added to the render.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited October 2016

sorry to have not contributed - busy moving house still and catching up on abandonned projects

this is work from an en plein air show I am in soon (one work done en plein air - one work in the Studio derived from  that first work)

so the marriage is of the digital and the traditional (Age of Armour;s Studio Paris)

and also of En Plein air and the Studio

I haven't managed to work Voldemart's cloth plug in yet sadly

Doc3.jpg
    900 x 900 - 535K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited October 2016

Very great work folks!

I have broken the ice this time by being entry#1 ... only 14 days till entry thread closes and voting begins.  Hmm perhaps I may squeeze in another project... naa... probably not.

edited October 2016

Way to start us off right, wgdjohn.  Love the atmosphere, and the glint really worked out well.

Here are updates on my traditional wedding concept, using lots of formula objects.  In addition to the ring and the boquet holder, all of the background and forground flowers are formula objects.  EDIT" the flowers in the boquet are lisa botanicals.  There are still several issues to address but it is almost done. Some remaining problems include the eyebrows for the G2F, and a split on the sleeve of the G2M, and a wierd blue dot above the G2M ear.  For the background, I am trying to choose between two approaches.

This one uses a volumetric cloud to create some atmosphere (I hope).

This one excludes the cloud to make the background close to the ring brighter.

backdrop 800 by 1280 wedding.jpg
    800 x 1280 - 22K
    backdrop 2 flowers 800 by 1280.jpg
    800 x 1280 - 170K
    pp01 wedding render cloud.jpg
    800 x 1280 - 98K
    pp02 wedding render cloud.jpg
    800 x 1280 - 117K
    pp03 assemble room.JPG
    1780 x 968 - 392K
    Post edited by Diomede on

A very original approach with the surround - and for what it's worth, I prefer tbe second image.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

He is not watching what he is doing,  just follow his eyes.  

He is distracted. But in a totally realistic way. devil

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

saw the entry thread.  means deadline is comin!

Thanks, Chohole, for the helpful comment.  Despite my cheeky response, I am adjusting his posture so that he is actually paying attention while putting the ring on her finger.  While I am waiting for the render here is a reminder about the schedule.

Still plenty of time, Misty.  The entry thread is open for 16 days this time.

Entry Thread Opens: Thursday 6 Oct 2016 2016

Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: 12.00 Midnight Saturday 22 Oct 2016

edited October 2016

diomede, Thanks.  I can't take credit for all of the atmosphere... the fog is thanks to Woodlands from Dartanbeck... all I did for the background was to change the camera angle and one setting for the main lighting. I did tweak the FX I added for Glint/Star/Light Cone, add/adjust shaders of the swords material domains and create a few boulders/their shaders... finally place my stuff and grab some HowieFarkes plants/sm trees to add more life to the foreground. I'll have to admit that the glint was a "happy accident"... when I copied the bulb lights over from my test render to the final scene I had to re-adjust things... one bulb light didn't work properly at all so had to start over from scratch with a different one for the "easter star"... whent a bit overboard but it did look rather good IMO and besides it shows what Carrara is capable of... Cool!

edited October 2016

OK, now the G2F is looking slightly off despite setting the "point at" modifier.  Anyway, steady progress I think.

pp04 revised.jpg
    800 x 1280 - 119K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    head wax said:

sorry to have not contributed - busy moving house still and catching up on abandonned projects

this is work from an en plein air show I am in soon (one work done en plein air - one work in the Studio derived from  that first work)

so the marriage is of the digital and the traditional (Age of Armour;s Studio Paris)

Nice concept, as all the WIPS here, as usual. :)

Moving is such a drag...I sympathize

Beautiful paintings! I haven't painted outdoors since my student days...meaning mid 90's...but I know the folks in one organiziation here, the Tucson Plein Air Painters Society...I just need some outdoor portable gear and a kick in the butt.

edited October 2016

Here, I vertex modeled a wrapper then applied some modifiers to warp and bend it.  You can see a wrapper as default and as modified.  Might go in a different direction (peanut butter jar and chocolate bar) but this suggestion by wgdjohn is worth exploring. Also, I modified the peanut butter bump shader so there are fewer vertical lines to better mimic teeth.  Dart got it (well done).   As always, more suggestions welcome.

packaging wip.jpg
    800 x 600 - 16K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    diomede said:

I never knew that.  Thanks, Mark.

I love the Glint effect and have been using it for years. You see it a lot in my renders ;)

wgdjohn said:

?? I have a few things yet to learn. These are things I wanted to try out for added effects. ??

• Add a glint or starbust to the blade of the sword. Is there something in Carrara or will I need to add it in post?
    • Add a light cone shining down on the sword and stone.
    • I know everything else... :)

I added a spot light and made adjustments but it could use something else.  I also added bits from Howie Farkes scenes... grass, ferns and some saplings. Looks a bit better than the render I just posted.

Couple of suggestions, if I may...

It can add some dramatic effect to you scene if you:

• Angle the sword just a bit so that we're not seeing such a perfect side-on shot of it's profile
    • Since it's the Star of the show, perhaps scale it up to make it stand out in the scene (very much optional, but...)
    • When giving it it's own light (light linking) try to not make that ight blast it full of light, but rather come at it from behind and/or above to add more light to one part of the sword to highlight it, which will bring it out more. A great eample of this technique is the "3 point Lighting" example in the scenes tab > lighting.

It really is looking cool! I love Camelot stories!

PhilW said:
    diomede said:

I'd love to! So TangoAlpha's from UK? Yeah... Rosie and I are planning to checking it out some time... when and how are the other things. She really wants to. Me, on the other hand... I like it here - I know the rules (at least two of them anyways) and I can almost always walk home ;)

But I'd still LOVE to go!

Other parts of the world, too!

Let me know if you and Rosie ever make it to the UK!

Awesome! I certainly will! :)

diomede said:

Agree, Dart, you should get to the UK and check out the stuff.  Some of it is even theirs.  I spent some college time there (hesitate to say I studied there).

I know there is a pile of rocks - http://www.stonehenge.co.uk/

.but frankly the saunas are little out of date

I don't remember much from the school in Scotland
    that I attended  https://www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk/training/training-courses

but I'm sure people get a lot out of it.

Dart, you should see the world while it's still here: we got . . . stuff! laugh

Where? What stuff? diomede... what's he talking about? surprise

I'd love to! So TangoAlpha's from UK? Yeah... Rosie and I are planning to checking it out some time... when and how are the other things. She really wants to. Me, on the other hand... I like it here - I know the rules (at least two of them anyways) and I can almost always walk home ;)

But I'd still LOVE to go!

Other parts of the world, too!

Yeah, Oxford. Home of the dictionary, & only city to have its own comma! You'll have seen bits of it in movies from Harry Potter to X-Men (it's quite photogenic), and a bunch of TV shows -- Morse, Lewis, Endeavour -- are set here.

Nice!

Varsel said:

Even Superheroes do knot the tie.......

Lets see where this brings me .... 

Love this! yes

head wax said:

This is really cool!!! Love the concept - love how you've put your own en plein air painting in there!!! That is so cool!

diomede said:

Here, I vertex modeled a wrapper then applied some modifiers to warp and bend it.  You can see a wrapper as default and as modified.  Might go in a different direction (peanut butter jar and chocolate bar) but this suggestion by wgdjohn is worth exploring. Also, I modified the peanut butter bump shader so there are fewer vertical lines to better mimic teeth.  Dart got it (well done).   As always, more suggestions welcome.

Couldn't help it... I eat a lot of Peanut Butter cups. Just talking about them makes me want to cross the street and... well... I'll be back!

PhilW said:

A very original approach with the surround - and for what it's worth, I prefer tbe second image.

Me too. But I also like the cloud effect - it's just a bit dirty and dingy for a wedding scene. Those things are darned versatile though. ither changing brightness, color, Silver Lining, or even just hitting  them with their own, personal lights can really brighte  them up into more of a Rock and Roll Stage type effect.

Great work, diomede! Love the WIP showing! (as always)

edited October 2016
    wgdjohn said:

?? I have a few things yet to learn. These are things I wanted to try out for added effects. ??

• Add a glint or starbust to the blade of the sword. Is there something in Carrara or will I need to add it in post?
    • Add a light cone shining down on the sword and stone.
    • I know everything else... :)

I added a spot light and made adjustments but it could use something else.  I also added bits from Howie Farkes scenes... grass, ferns and some saplings. Looks a bit better than the render I just posted.

Couple of suggestions, if I may...

It can add some dramatic effect to you scene if you:

• Angle the sword just a bit so that we're not seeing such a perfect side-on shot of it's profile
    • Since it's the Star of the show, perhaps scale it up to make it stand out in the scene (very much optional, but...)
    • When giving it it's own light (light linking) try to not make that ight blast it full of light, but rather come at it from behind and/or above to add more light to one part of the sword to highlight it, which will bring it out more. A great eample of this technique is the "3 point Lighting" example in the scenes tab > lighting.

It really is looking cool! I love Camelot stories!

Everyone's "suggestions" are always welcome.

I do have it entered already but am rendering again right now, takes about an hour to see how your suggestions work out. I did angle it just a bit towards the light cone... also scaled it up from 150% to 175%... had to change my point at helper, the 2 glint and star FX bulbs. Good point angling the blade... straight on is just too perfect... never want anything like that if one is aiming for a realistic look.

Too often I forget and use only one light, never straight on but above and a bit to one side... thanks very much for reminding me.  I often use 3 point lighting... not always but sometime even more Fill lights to help lighting particular places of the main char/element.

For those not knowing about lighting a 3 point system... you have a Key light providing the main lighting and best above and off to one side to provide more light to one side than the other, a Fill light at a much lower setting and opposite the Key light to make shadows not too harsh and a Back Light to provide a bit of highlight by creating shadow to the outline of the main character/element... note the the Back Light can be placed very low and is aimed upwards and it's light will not affect the background... better is 3D where where can have it only affect certain objects. All the lights should be placed and light values set for your liking for the best render.  Keep in mind that the more lights you add the render time will increase... for most renders keep it at 3 but don't hesitate to add more if the scene needs it to look better. Check out 3 point Lighting as Dart mentioned above... he knows what he is talking about more than I do.

I first learned about multiple lights, more than 3, in a photography course many years ago for basic and portrait lighting...many other photography related things like film developing and the Rule of Thirds... most of what I learned apply to 3D... but sometimes can be approached a bit different. Best of all is I don't have to develop any film... instead it's developed by rendering.

Dart,  I ran into something I've not yet figured out yet... in Woodlands Environ Kit... I've had one light which was very distracting... I checked all lights in the group but all were set to not show in 3D view... only when I selected the main group, see pic, was I able to hide it. Just an annoyance as it does not render... just was a bit distracting. Still need to check out all the options for Woodlands... looks very cool.

[Oops fogot to add the pic... it's posted later]

edited October 2016

Alert to All:  Seems that the the DAZ3D site inculding the Forums are experiency problems. See Missing renders in gallery which kinda explains why many images do not appear.. including nearly all but the latest ones of mine and many others.  Some images are shown while others are not. Note if you see the tiny version for an image  you will most likely get a 404 image/page not found error.

I've made Help/Support aware that I'm not impressed by this since it's still going on.