Carrara Challenge #28: “Marriage” WIP Thread

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

I will not have this done in time for entry... this is an updated version. I have added a few walls and tweaked the statue shaders. I'd been having problems with the statue not catching lighting very well before this render in which I turned on SSS at it's default settings... looks a lot brighter but now still needs some tweaking with lights and/or SSS or other shader settings to bring out detail. This renders uses 3 spotlights and 4 bulb lights. I can probably turn off the bulbs now... I'd been messing with Caustics before and after adding the spotlights. I've included shader pics for the statue which is a modified version of a marble and the oddball shading on the walls which use Iridescent from Shoestring Shaders, DCG I believe.

G3_Ninive6_onBase_10.png
    480 x 640 - 372K
    StatueShader.png
    1425 x 771 - 288K
    StrangeWallShader.png
    708 x 771 - 152K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

wow... catching up on the WiPs

awesome reading and renders from peanut butter to Dr Whoish stuff and girls with guns!

don't blink or you'll miss something.. yes

Only 5 entries in Entry Thread today... come on folks... get your entry(s) in... only a few days to go. :)

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited October 2016

Here is something I have been working on.

Marraige of light and dark using Urbans Sprawl 3 and fixing the roads as per this thread

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1330236/#Comment_1330236

Post edited by chickenman on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    wgdjohn said:

Only 5 entries in Entry Thread today... come on folks... get your entry(s) in... only a few days to go. :)

thanks will do as ap

;)

chickenman, your image isnt showing

Cool.... chickenman look forward to seeing it.
    head wax, just wanted to be sure you didn't forget post your wips :)

With only 5 entries so far I've started thinking I might have a chance... even though I know better. What really matters is that I'm happy with mine. Thanks to all who have helped me out... I'd not be as far along with learning to create scenes if not for you folks. Still room for improvement which will never end of course... there is always room for improvement... for everyone... even those who have incredible abilities now.  The end of learning would be the beginning of boredom.

Since I ran out of time for another entry I created a new model, yes it's simple right now, which I'll post a render of today in my Modeling thread.

edited October 2016

Here's something different, basically the same scene as last with the statues - buit different approach with shaders

'Alien Wedding" - m4 and v4 draped with a plane using the Voldemort plugin and Philemo's bridge , then added a glass shader and used caustics in the render.

The distortion in the periphery of the large is done in post 

alienwedding2.jpg
    2000 x 2769 - 5M
    alienweddingt.jpg
    1990 x 1479 - 3M
    alienweddingsetup-1.jpg
    2431 x 1295 - 900K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • @head wax,

Impressively creative

You never stop to amaze me.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

still time. >.< cuttin it close.  panic. mostly harmless.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Headwax, another fantastic approach.  I could get lost in that image, in a good way.

Chickenman, can't see your image but looking forward to Carrara-optimized Urban sprawl.  I continue to wonder if there is a market for Carrara-optimized shaders of Studio-sets the way there are Iray products for those or the way Ringo did for character sets.

Wgdjohn and Misty, still some time if you want to get these newest idead in.

Varsel, actually stopped by the thread to comment on the entry that you already submitted.  This line in your description really made my day.  "And after some romantic misunderstanding, I went for the Mahogany wood."  LOL   Many of us identify with that.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    diomede said:

Dart, you got peanut butter on my chocolate!  LOL.  Will anyone marry cookies and cream in a carton of ice cream?

Linked video

Worth paying a few more bucks for the good stuff, IMHO.

In my opinion as well!

Is that where my PB went? I already opened a new jar (and it's almost gone already) so you may keep that, if you like! No... believe me... it tastes GREAT!!!

Philemo said:

@head wax,

Impressively creative

You never stop to amaze me.

thanks Philemo - :) it's all about playing, I guess I never growed up yet ....

I forgot to mention your excellent bridge - that's now fixed,

thanks so much for making it!!!

looking forward to your next wizardry

diomede said:

Headwax, another fantastic approach.  I could get lost in that image, in a good way.

thanks diomede - your chocolate and peanut butter just added 3inches to my waist band :)

head wax said:
    diomede said:

thanks diomede - your chocolate and peanut butter just added 3inches to my waist band :)

Mine too! Did I mention that he got chocolate in my Peanut Butter? Thing is... it's darned good! Can't seem to stop eating it!

BTW, do you have any more chocoalate? I've still got several jars of PB left!

Hey everybody... some really nice art going on!

Trying to get something in... we'll see.

• wgdjohn said:

Be careful what you wish for devil

This one is gonna be about love bugs (lol) ...

Cheers smiley

LBScreenshot1.jpg
    1023 x 650 - 100K
  • Here is more geometry, case for the bugs ...

Cheers smiley

LBScreenshot2.jpg
    658 x 531 - 113K
  • Done, now to UVs and texturing, this was fun and simple ...

More screenshots tonight smiley

(reference photo included)

LBScreenshot3.jpg
    728 x 592 - 185K
    BugsRef.jpg
    1000 x 634 - 307K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited October 2016

Very fun and cool models, FifthElement.  Thanks for posting the reference photo.  I always learn from your posts, and seeing both the container and the mesh side by side is great.  I can't remember what you use.  Is it Silo?  Would you mind including a screen grab of the uvmap?  Don't worry about it if it will be trouble.  

Post edited by Diomede on
    diomede said:

Very fun and cool models, FifthElement.  Thanks for posting the reference photo.  I always learn from your posts, and seeing both the container and the mesh side by side is great.  I can't remember what you use.  Is it Silo?  Would you mind including a screen grab of the uvmap?  Don't worry about it if it will be trouble.  

+1 yes

try this if you cant see my picture.

I can upload to the gallery but not the forum now.

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/233581/

In that case, just copy the address from the gallery and use the image tool, like this:

Awesome image, by the way! Fantastic!

Tried that but it did not work for me when I tried.

Tried that but it did not work for me when I tried.

I wonder if they're still ironing out some of the web wrinkles? I'm glad it's fixed here... 'twas a bit of a pita for a while there

Trying to figure out how to get the light to show as it is shining down from the street lamps. 

I have the fog but the lamp head isn't lighting up with the light.

• diomede said:

Thanks, no problem, just got home, so here is more screenshots ...

I used Silo 2 for modeling and UVs, BTW.

Images below are: UV seams and imported objects with textures in Carrara, off to render it now. I'll post the whole Carrara scene when I'm totally done so you can take a look.

Little warning though, I do not carefuly place and hide seams anymore, because Substance Painter takes care of seamless painting for me, my only concern with this workflow is to have minimal distortion and not too many UV islands ...

Cheers smiley

CaseUV.jpg
    1481 x 748 - 422K
    LBScreenshot4.jpg
    1555 x 875 - 467K

Trying to figure out how to get the light to show as it is shining down from the street lamps. 

I have the fog but the lamp head isn't lighting up with the light.

It can be tricky. I've used several methods over the years.

In this one (Urban Sprawl 1 - Street Lights - kit-modded with Coflek Gnorg's Techno Town) I've used a spot light scaled down small enough to fit up inside the reflector cone, and set the half-angle to 90 degrees to light up the inner reflector - which then casts light down shadowed by the reflector.

Then I duplicated that spotlight, raised it up above the light fixture, set the half-angle much lower, like 30 or less, then applied the light cone effect with 3d shadows set to Invert, so it only shows after the fixture. 

I also spent a long time tinkering with that cone effect to make it subtle, yet visible. With that set up for one light, I duplicated it once (the light-cone effect light parented to the main light) and moved it to a new position, then changed both lights just a bit for a bit of variation. I did that once more to have three slightly different lights. Then I was able to finish duplicating to get a whole row done, grouped them all, and duplicated that group over the rest of the city.

For specific shots, I'll select whichever lights will never either be seen or whose effect isn't needed, and delete them.

In other set-ups, I've 'faked' it by using another low-powered spot light under the light facing upwards into it to light up the underside. It depends on how I can make it work with the fixture I have in the scene.

Oh... I forgot to mention that in the above image, I've also made the inside of the light reflector Glow White, and then also added the Aura effect for extra punch by the light itself.

Thanks I was looking at the shaders and wondered if I could get the anything glows to work on the bulb so am trying it now.

I also need to also figure out how to get it to work for the bus and truck.

Here is a test with Anything glows.