PC+ sale here now, any must-buys for Cararra? The Wrap-up and unfinished business

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Welcome home, Kaz!!! Thanks for your incredible generosity!!! This really ROCKS!!!

• 3DAGE said:

HI Wendy ;)

ironically I made this the other day in Carrara though Chohole informs us they grow everwhere but Scotland, they certainly grow in my yard in Australia, are noxious weeds.

They do actually grow in Scotland,. there are several different varieties here, including the Scottish thistle. ...they grow all over the UK.

you made me realise I'd never tried to make a thistle.

not enough prickly bits, but it's a start.

have you got hairs on your thistles?

very nice yes

mine waa just a response to a D|S user looking for one.

• rk66 said:

I have found this links only, but not the other two. Send her a mail. Look here: http://www.decarlojewelryart.com/BE/BlueprintsEzine.html

I think yes. Look here: http://carraracafe.com/news/new-shaders-for-carrara/#more-5223

Sorry, I had missed earlier where Kirk was mentioned in the text.  Got it, thanks.  Can't be many guys with that last name, so he may be the one.smiley  Looks like I will be busy tracking down stuff for a while.

In the meantime, don't forget that Carrara ships with some really nice shaders examples! ;)

• kaz42kaz42 Posts: 63

In the meantime, don't forget that Carrara ships with some really nice shaders examples! ;)

It really does, and Carrara is capable of doing some procedural stuff that leaves the Nobiax pack in the dust. My pack is just plugging in images to channels, and adjusting a few sliders to make it look right. You can go way deeper down the rabbit hole with procedurals. TBH, I was brand new to Carrara when I made that, and did it as practice. You can learn a lot by reverse engineering the existing shaders that come with Carrara. Do a simple scene, apply a shader, then start messing with it.

There is software out there that can do procedural shaders better - Substance is my favorite, and relatively cheap if you do the buy-to-own subscription model - but Carrara is the most capable older program I'm aware of that can run procedural textures so well. Other than Bryce, of course. The materials lab in Bryce is INSANE. If they updated Bryce to be able to bake a procedural texture onto a model and export it, I'd use Bryce for everything.

Welcome home, Kaz!!! Thanks for your incredible generosity!!! This really ROCKS!!!

Thanks so much, Dartanbeck. :) Considering I wouldn't know anything about Carrara without your tutorials, that means a lot.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

My next question will probably be about where to load these shaders.

You can add any folder, on any drive to your Browser,.  :)

add these into the Shaders section.

On the top right of the browser, there are a couple of little icons,. one of those allows you to "add folder" then browse to wherever your folder is,.

when you choose a folder to add,. Carrara will ask what type of files,. (colour shaders) is generally what you want for shaders.  

Alternatively: you could extract them into your existing "My Shaders" folder,. which should be in your "My Documents / Daz3D / Carrara / My presets /

That's where any of the stuff you create and save to the browser ends up. (My Scenes, My Objects, My Shaders) etc

but that's a big lump of shaders and textures,.. you may want to stick those on an external drive

Being a Carrara newbie gets a little bit old after a while

We've all been there,. :)

Some of us know some parts of Carrara pretty well,.and together, this forum can answer most users questions,.  but we're all still learning new things.

Carrara is a big program, with lot's of tools, some are easy and simple, some are more complex with multiple options, and some take time to learn,. so,. don't be bashful about asking questions, there's no such thing as a stupid question. 

.. but we'll all laugh anyway :)

Wendy :) yes,. it's hair spikes and top plume bit,.  plus some hair on the stem and leaves, but that needs more work..

Andy :)

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    kaz42 said:
    rk66 said:

He got me in IMs... I've still been around from time to time, but mostly working with Daz/Iray lately... and doing the writing parts of my project, when I haven't been tied down with work. Work situation just changed, so I'll be around and focusing more on my art stuff now.

The link on ShareCG for the Carrara pack is broken (you linked the Daz Iray version above) but the file is still there. The link in the Daz forums still works, and the original thread (and the link) for the pack is here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/52849/free-collection-of-328-carrara-shaders-made-from-nobiax-s-freebie-textures-link-fixed-i-hope#latest

Edit: I'm not sure what happened with the ShareCG side of things, I think they removed the link either because it was Nobiax's original work (even though I had and mentioned his permissions in the description) or some users with really bad internet couldn't get it to download and reported it as broken. It IS almost 2GB due to all the image files involved, but I assure you it works. :P

Down loading them now no problem thank you very much.

kaz42 said:

It really does, and Carrara is capable of doing some procedural stuff that leaves the Nobiax pack in the dust. My pack is just plugging in images to channels, and adjusting a few sliders to make it look right. You can go way deeper down the rabbit hole with procedurals. TBH, I was brand new to Carrara when I made that, and did it as practice. You can learn a lot by reverse engineering the existing shaders that come with Carrara. Do a simple scene, apply a shader, then start messing with it.

There is software out there that can do procedural shaders better - Substance is my favorite, and relatively cheap if you do the buy-to-own subscription model - but Carrara is the most capable older program I'm aware of that can run procedural textures so well

I totally agree. The biggest reason that keeps me glued to Carrara's native render engine is its amazing shader creation power! I still haven't been using Baker or some of my other cool plugins (there are a LOT of Awesome plugins for Carrara shaders!!!) and still... I'm in heaven in the texture room!

LuxusCore beta has me really interested in trying out Substance products and just learning the Luxrender 2.0 shader process in general. Luxus for Carrara (using Luxrender 1) is also really cool. I'm just always so engulfed in getting stuff (animated scenes) built that time has been my limiting factor on that.

There's a thread around here about Substance - and I was sounding pretty negative in there - but I'm really not. I've been seeing some amazing work coming from that line of software. My point was that I love how easily I can just use tools right inside of Carrara to create really nice materials. Add in some map creation and we can seriously do anything we want!

I especially love how Carrara lets us even plug avi and/or sequenced image animtations into nearly anything! I've got some really cool things going on for characters that get shot or cut or bruised... it's just darned fun!

Instead of Substance, I've been using Howler. I can just click on "Make Animation" and paint on bruises forming or blood trickling, sweat dripping... whatever I want. Fun!!!

kaz42 said:

There is software out there that can do procedural shaders better - Substance is my favorite, and relatively cheap if you do the buy-to-own subscription model - but Carrara is the most capable older program I'm aware of that can run procedural textures so well. Other than Bryce, of course. The materials lab in Bryce is INSANE. If they updated Bryce to be able to bake a procedural texture onto a model and export it, I'd use Bryce for everything.

Man... before I bought Carrara or Bryce or Daz Studio Pro or Hexagon (due to lack of funds - not interest!!! LOL) I downloaded the manuals for each of them, printed them all out and bound them like a softbound book (except Carrara is hard-bound!).

I've started reading the Bryce 5.5 manual from the beginning - and then started skipping forward - glancing at this and that. I can't believe that I haven't learned this software at all. It just looks so cool! I've seen stuff on the Bryce Discussion Forum that just makes my jaw fall completely off my face - then I have to go looking for it under the furniture.

One day I'll have to just drop everything and fire that bad-boy up and have some fun. I'm glad I own it.

Looking at how we can use mesh to cut holes into mesh... and then there's that crazy materials lab... it just looks fun. 

kaz42 said:

Thanks so much, Dartanbeck. :) Considering I wouldn't know anything about Carrara without your tutorials, that means a lot.

Thanks Kaz! I appreciate that! ;)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited November 2016

Not to worry.  I get the message that it will be wise to get comfortable with the native shaders before going shader crazy.

However, my original question was simply about finding - or making - a Carrara equivalent to the Genesis supersuit shaders.  I had no idea that shortly afterwards I would be downloading about 500 freebies...

They will remain uninstalled until I get further in Phil's material.  Hows that for discipline?smiley

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • And back to the original topic of this thread...

Did you notice that the Daz Original product in BYOB is made for Carrara?

http://www.daz3d.com/quad-racer

Probably old news to you guys, but I was excited!  It will only be there today, so I'm grabbing it.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Ha - just tempted me into getting a second bundle of stuff that I'll probably never use!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

how many bundles can one build?

--ms

• mindsong said:

how many bundles can one build?

--ms

You can make as many as you want.  The only limit is on the total number of BYOB items you have listed.  I'm guessing that a lot of you folks have a bunch of this stuff already.  If so, and you want the car by itself, it is only $1.99.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

indeed, I built a (2nd) bundle and it priced out - $2.99 - I thought it was a one-time thing.

So... like philw, I just bought 8 more things I'll probably never use!, but at 37cents each, my day is now complete...

tnx for the info.

--ms

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

yeah they roped me in the other day and I got 3 bundles of stuff.

• I think I am on my fifth bundle after initially struggling to get one as they added stuff.

All those traveller plants and rocks,  clinched it for me.

I picked up a lot of Littlefox toon figures too.

I tried and it didn't show up as 2.99

edited November 2016

I tried and it didn't show up as 2.99

You may need to have exactly 8 BYOB items.  Too few is OK, but too many and it may not work.

ahhh... that was it, then

edited November 2016
    Post edited by 3DAGE on

Wow. Thanks 3DAGE! This thing is really cool!!!

• Yay, free Carrara plant!  3DAGE, thank you very much.

For petipet fans (like me) there is a new release item today which is also PC+.  OK, it's not specifically for Carrara, but its petipet!

http://www.daz3d.com/oberon-station

Yay, free Carrara plant!  3DAGE, thank you very much.

For petipet fans (like me) there is a new release item today which is also PC+.  OK, it's not specifically for Carrara, but its petipet!

http://www.daz3d.com/oberon-station

I LOVE petipet!!! And I love that new scene kit!!! It will be mine... it WILL be MINE!!!

I have a LOT of his stuff - but I want to eventually have ALL of it. His Poser versions work beautifully. Morphs dials fire up the flames on his starship models (we have to drag the map in the color channel (Holding Ctrl key) into the Glow channel for them to glow just perfectly! Holding Ctrl as you drag the texture map will copy the map and paste it where you let go of the left mouse button ;)

petipets kits are so cool - I'm just beside myself that they're PC items. I was a PC member for quite a while before he(?) came aboard. First came in as "GeekAtPlay" and I have a couple of his products when they were still under that name - Starship Needle and Harpoon ship.

I just keep collecting them and excitedly open them and optimize their shaders and I've never once been disappointed!

Harpoon in EnvironKit - Underwater Realms

Still in Underwater Realms, petipet's Technopolis and pirahna starship

Yup... I'm a Fan!!! :)

• OK grabbing your dancing weed Andy, will need to do video with it and kitty sometime heart

edited November 2016

Someday they won't laugh at my dancing. sad

There's IK set-up on it , you just need to add some helpers if you want to animate with those.

otherwise,. it's select and rotate as required to pose,. or you can select the "tip" of the leaves, or the head,. and pull around using the IK

Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited November 2016

After finding that Carrara car, I got interested in searching to see how many Daz Originals are geared towards Carrara.

The results were disturbing.  Other that the variations of Carrara itself, and some product bundles with dubious Carrara connections, there were less than 20.  Less than 20!

Putting that aside for the moment, there were two PC+ items that I would like to know more about, the Yosemite packs.

http://www.daz3d.com/hdr-prosets-yosemite-pack-one

http://www.daz3d.com/hdr-prosets-yosemite-pack-two

Are these worth getting?  Or, is there some hidden issue?  They look almost too good to be true..

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2016

I like the HDRI packs very much.  I don't know of any hidden issues.  Here is a very quick render.  I literally just double clicked one of the yosemite scene presets to start a new scene, dragged a moose model in the scene, posed its neck, inserted a plane, changed the texture of the plane to a shadow catcher, and hit render.

I think this is pretty good straight out of the box.  Obviously, someone could get even better results by putting some time into it. 

ll01 yosemite moose.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2016

Same scene, different camera angle that has sun on Moose instead of behind moose.

LL02 moose different angle.jpg
    800 x 600 - 69K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • diomede said:

I like the HDRI packs very much.  I don't know of any hidden issues.  Here is a very quick render.  I literally just double clicked one of the yosemite scene presets to start a new scene, dragged a moose model in the scene, posed its neck, inserted a plane, changed the texture of the plane to a shadow catcher, and hit render.

Wow, if it looks that terrific out of the box... I'm impressed.  Thanks!  Money well spent.