PC+ sale here now, any must-buys for Cararra? The Wrap-up and unfinished business

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

To use an object as a shadow catcher, go to the top line of the shader tree, choose LIGHTING MODEL : SHADOW CATCHER.  Typically, you just need a plane to serve as the ground.  But, sometmes you might use a cylinder on its side to be a log, or a cube to be a wall, or staggered cubes to be a staircase.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited November 2016
    petipets kits are so cool - I'm just beside myself that they're PC items. I was a PC member for quite a while before he(?) came aboard. First came in as "GeekAtPlay" and I have a couple of his products when they were still under that name - Starship Needle and Harpoon ship.

Are those products still available?

I just keep collecting them and excitedly open them and optimize their shaders and I've never once been disappointed!

You probably also noticed the PC Anniversary Bundle #4 - I've avoided these pay bundles up to now - has 10 items, and 5 are petipet products!  And I didn't have a single one of those items (but one was on my wish list).  Lucky me! 

Dart, there is another petipet product in BYOB today.  It's a bit off the wall, even for petipet.  I'm getting it anyway, of course.smiley

http://www.daz3d.com/resort-lagoon

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

and that new petipet item (big fan too) qualifies as a 'new/debut' item, so stuff in the 'featured items' PC+ list get dropped from 4.00 to 2.79 or something, so ... yeah... if you haven't already spent enough this month...

--ms

• I was mistaken.  There are TWO petipet products in BYOB, and I assume they will be there for a few days.  There are two DO's that change every day, and these are not designated as DO's.

http://www.daz3d.com/resort-lagoon

http://www.daz3d.com/city-roads

Not the normal Sci-fi or fantasy stuff, but the quality is still there.

• kaz42kaz42 Posts: 63
    diomede said:

To use an object as a shadow catcher, go to the top line of the shader tree, choose LIGHTING MODEL : SHADOW CATCHER.  Typically, you just need a plane to serve as the ground.  But, sometmes you might use a cylinder on its side to be a log, or a cube to be a wall, or staggered cubes to be a staircase.

This is something I've been wondering about... Not to derail the conversation again, but what is the difference between making a shadow catcher plane and using one of the "w/ground" options in render settings? Obviously "w/ground" wouldn't work in the case of a log, or anything but a flat ground plane, but is there any difference in these two methods for making a ground plane for simple shadows?

• that only works with realistic sky 

I always untick it anyway as a horrid single shade, an infinite plane with a texture or proceedural better even if not using shadowcatch with a background.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

After finding that Carrara car, I got interested in searching to see how many Daz Originals are geared towards Carrara.

The results were disturbing.  Other that the variations of Carrara itself, and some product bundles with dubious Carrara connections, there were less than 20.  Less than 20!

The real problem is that Carrara is fundamentally different from things like Daz Studio and Poser,. 

Carrara can Create,.

DS and poser are completely reliant on using models made in other programs, by other people.

Carrara users can, and do, create much of what they use.

Have a look on Sharecg.com to see how many carrara items are there,. i'm sure it's more than twenty. :)

Also worth noting that some time ago, Daz had a store cleanup which moved some older, slow selling items out of the store into an "archive" perhaps never to be seen again.

Taking all that into account,... Carrara items are not big sellers,.

many carrara products are also available in DS versions (whenever possible).(since that sells more product),. personally i feel that it's a mistaken compromise to go there, since it creates the illusion of compatibility between DS and Carrara, and dilutes the carrara marketplace to making products which can be easily converted to Studio versions, and that means leaving out most of the carrara big features.

This is partly why carrara is seen in a less favourable light than DS.

If your main purpose in life is selling people "content" which they are unable to create for themselves.

Fish ?   Fishing rod !,. more fish ?

Andy :)

Are these worth getting?  Or, is there some hidden issue?  They look almost too good to be true..

I've just picked the first pack up,.

I was unaware of this product, so thanks for posting,.

DimensionTheory (DT) has created a load of great products for Carrara, you should also check out Tim Payne's Skies packs.

Tim and Jeffrey (DT) created a couple of combination packs of Lights HDRs and skies,.. those just make carrara scenes pop.

also check "Cloud nine" (by DT) which shows the creative possibilities available with carara's Volumetric clouds.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    petipets kits are so cool - I'm just beside myself that they're PC items. I was a PC member for quite a while before he(?) came aboard. First came in as "GeekAtPlay" and I have a couple of his products when they were still under that name - Starship Needle and Harpoon ship.

Are those products still available?

I thought they were... wow. I guess the Aircraft White Needle isn't sold here anymore.

Here's the Starship Harpoon though

Here's how it looked when I bought it (below):

Modeling for Geekatplay Studio by Apostoliuk Petro

3DAGE said:

Are these worth getting?  Or, is there some hidden issue?  They look almost too good to be true..

I've just picked the first pack up,.

I was unaware of this product, so thanks for posting,.

DimensionTheory (DT) has created a load of great products for Carrara, you should also check out Tim Payne's Skies packs.

Tim and Jeffrey (DT) created a couple of combination packs of Lights HDRs and skies,.. those just make carrara scenes pop.

also check "Cloud nine" (by DT) which shows the creative possibilities available with carara's Volumetric clouds.

+1 yes

Yeah... that big inniersary bundle!!! I saw that it had that cool scifi look, when I clicked it - I already own all of it! :) Made me smile!

• 3DAGE said:

After finding that Carrara car, I got interested in searching to see how many Daz Originals are geared towards Carrara.

The results were disturbing.  Other that the variations of Carrara itself, and some product bundles with dubious Carrara connections, there were less than 20.  Less than 20!

The real problem is that Carrara is fundamentally different from things like Daz Studio and Poser,. 

Carrara can Create,.

I understand your argument, but you can also create in Bryce.  And Bryce is also fundamentally different from Studio.  Yet there are a bunch more Bryce products which have been created by Daz, which are classified as Daz Originals.  And many of them are pretty cool, see attached.

"Content vs create" is only one issue.  Are there bigger issues?  I don't know what the powers at Daz are really thinking, and I probably never will.  All I know it that to insure the future of Carrara, more users are required.  My hope is to help make it more comfortable for people in the largest group - Studio users - to migrate to Carrara.  Can't hurt to try.

space-station-cargo-ship-large.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 175K
    3DAGE said:

Carrara can Create,.

I understand your argument, but you can also create in Bryce.  And Bryce is also fundamentally different from Studio.  Yet there are a bunch more Bryce products which have been created by Daz, which are classified as Daz Originals.  And many of them are pretty cool, see attached.

"Content vs create" is only one issue.  Are there bigger issues?  I don't know what the powers at Daz are really thinking, and I probably never will.  All I know it that to insure the future of Carrara, more users are required.  My hope is to help make it more comfortable for people in the largest group - Studio users - to migrate to Carrara.  Can't hurt to try.

Actually, they have been bought by Daz3d, not created by. Same with the Carrara-specific items.

edited November 2016

When I do a search for Carrara in the store, it returns 397 items, but I agree with the basic point.  Carrara users do buy content - but most of it is labeled for Poser or Studio.  An exception is for things like dynamic hair, which is made dedicated for Carrara.   However, the flow of content dedicated to Carrara has slowed considerably.   Vendors formerly dedicated to Carrara sets, like Howie Farkes, are now making their sets for Studio.  It is interesting that the initial phase is Howie Farkes making mimics of his existing Carrara sets for use in Studio, not a brand new set.

If I was making a static prop for sale, I would make a Poser version and an Iray version, because then it can be used in Poser, Studio, Bryce, and Carrara.  As a Carrara user, I would be making it for use in Carrara, but it wouldn't be labeled that way, nor would most of the sales.

If I was making a conforming clothes outfit, I would make it for Genesis 3, because Studio users seem to outnumber Poser users, and the rigging systems have drifted apart.  It is almost time for Daz to release the Genesis 4 female.  If no Carrara support for Genesis 3 is out before then...  Genesis 3 is not compatible in Carrara.

The comparison to Bryce is apt - but we see how Bryce is being treated by Daz.

I wonder how big the market would be for Carrara-adaptation products.  For example, Ringo used to release global skin shaders for Genesis and Genesis 2 characters for one-click use in Carrara.  Is there a market for global set shaders so that Jack Tomalin sets can be used as one-click in Carrara?  In other words, a product that fixes the uv wrap issue for everything in the set with one click?  What about Carrara fur products for some of AM's animals?  Is there a market for a genesis 2 based Carrara character?  For example, if I made a custom G2F skin shader from a merchant resource (I essentially have for personal use based on a Forbidden Whisper merchant resource), and a custom hair cap and dynamic hair set, so that a custom G2F could be loaded in Carrara with optimized skin shaders and dynamic hair styles swapped out with one click, is there a market?  I don't know.

I am currently trying to learn the Studio interface and participating in the Studio new user challenge.  Having an incredibly hard time doing even the most basic things, like selecting a forearm of someone sitting in a set. I even created my own cube and my own cylinder to test material shaders because I was unaware that Studio had primitives.  LOL.  If we don't frame how to do things in terms of how it is done in Studio, it is because in many cases we are unfamilar with how it is done in Studio. At least I am.

All good issues to discuss.  I would have to be much more familiar with Sudio than I am before I could try to author a specific Studio-to-Carrara migration guide.  Maybe my experiments with the new user folks will help me get there.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited November 2016

Hmmm... they used to sell this under the new "petipet" name, does anyone know what happened to it?

Aircraft White Needle                      Aircraft Needle Texture Pack

This very fast aircraft design is for high altitude flying. Originally designed as an interceptor for the military, it's very high speed performance made it popular in air races and air shows once it's design became unclassified. This very light and highly maneuverable craft supports a single pilot cabin.

This unique model includes a sport version and a military version. The military version includes guided missiles and machine gun turrets as well as military style painting.

The landing gears can be extended or hidden inside the plane. The wing flaps are adjustable. The pilot cabin cover can be closed or open. Inside of the pilot cabin, the dash board and controls can be adjusted for flying or landed positions. Modeling for Geekatplay Studio by Apostoliuk Petro

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

You're right,. you can create some things in Bryce,. it's a great landscape and environment modeler,. but it's not a modeling tool ,. it can't define or edit polygons, shading domains, or create bones and complex rigging, etc.

It's not as independent as Carrara.

for example : you couldn't model a bunny, paint on it, give it fur,  rig it, animate it ..etc.

you could create a bunch of primitive objects and arrange them in the shape of a bunny,. but you're not really using the tool for the purpose it was designed for, which is to generate landscapes,.

Bryce doesn't "need" content,. it's a stand alone environment generator,. but, just as Carrara users will buy packs of Shaders, or other items, and scenes made for Carrara,. Bryce users will also pick up Bryce shaders, or other Bryce stuff.  most of the "Content " made for these programs are made by very talented and experienced users, to provide new users with an easier introduction the program,. and an example of what can be achieved.

Since Bryce is less of an all round suite,. and more of a special purpose tool, it's users are more likely to spend time using it for that purpose,. building the landscape, creating tree's, clouds, rocks, grass, etc,. ....and then think about adding a figure,. either as a static imported OBJ,. or through the Bridge from Daz Studio.

Rather than starting your scene with a figure,.. and everything is based around that.

Bryce is a great environment modeling program, which you can now load Daz3D "content" into.

Daz Originals ,. aren't necessarily made by Daz3D,. (daz productions inc)

they may originally have been built by others and "purchased"

edited November 2016

Actually, they have been bought by Daz3d, not created by. Same with the Carrara-specific items.

3DAGE said:

Daz Originals ,. aren't necessarily made by Daz3D,. (daz productions inc) they may originally have been built by others and "purchased"

OK, no offense here guys, but you are hair-splitting.smiley  My point was that many more Bryce-specific products are OFFERED by Daz than are Carrara products.  And they are more interesting products.  And the point was made to specifically counter the argument that Daz doesn't OFFER Carrara products because it is a content creation package.  That was it.

I do know what Bryce is, and how it differs from Carrara.  But the specific differences between the two has nothing to do with my general point.

There are a lot of theories from members here why Carrara seems to be getting the short end of the stick.  I don't think that anyone actually knows for sure.  I certainly don't.  Whatever the reason, I think that new users in larger numbers would remedy the situation.

When I search for Bryce on the store page, I get about 300 products.  When I search for Carrara, I get about 400.  Although I therefore reject the assertion that there are many many more Bryce products than Carrara, I do accept the more general point that a wave of new users would be followed by more resources.

• diomede said:

When I do a search for Carrara in the store, it returns 397 items, but I agree with the basic point.

I was talking about items offered and owned by Daz, so-called Daz Originals.  There are thousands of Daz Originals for Studio, indicating a healthy corporate support for the program.  I didn't expect much in the way of Carrara DO's, but the low number - less than 20 - just shocked me.

diomede said:

Carrara users do buy content - but most of it is labeled for Poser or Studio.  An exception is for things like dynamic hair, which is made dedicated for Carrara.   However, the flow of content dedicated to Carrara has slowed considerably.   Vendors formerly dedicated to Carrara sets, like Howie Farkes, are now making their sets for Studio.  It is interesting that the initial phase is Howie Farkes making mimics of his existing Carrara sets for use in Studio, not a brand new set.

Good context, thanks.

diomede said:
    I wonder how big the market would be for Carrara-adaptation products.  For example, Ringo used to release global skin shaders for Genesis and Genesis 2 characters for one-click use in Carrara.  Is there a market for global set shaders so that Jack Tomalin sets can be used as one-click in Carrara?  In other words, a product that fixes the uv wrap issue for everything in the set with one click?  What about Carrara fur products for some of AM's animals?  Is there a market for a genesis 2 based Carrara character?  For example, if I made a custom G2F skin shader from a merchant resource (I essentially have for personal use based on a Forbidden Whisper merchant resource), and a custom hair cap and dynamic hair set, so that a custom G2F could be loaded in Carrara with optimized skin shaders and dynamic hair styles swapped out with one click, is there a market?  I don't know.

Not big,  The problem is not enough users.

diomede said:

I am currently trying to learn the Studio interface and participating in the Studio new user challenge.  Having an incredibly hard time doing even the most basic things, like selecting a forearm of someone sitting in a set. I even created my own cube and my own cylinder to test material shaders because I was unaware that Studio had primitives.  LOL.  If we don't frame how to do things in terms of how it is done in Studio, it is because in many cases we are unfamilar with how it is done in Studio. At least I am.

Ha!  Phil kind of said the same thing.  I'm surprised, because I thought that most of you guys here were very familiar with Studio.  I think that it just makes Phil's point stronger, when he says that one program is really not any more friendly than the other.

And to a different point, when you mentioned primitives, it reminded me that Studio actually has quite a few content creation tools, if you know where to look.  Not as robust as Carrara, but they do exist, and development does seem to be ongoing.

diomede said:

All good issues to discuss.  I would have to be much more familiar with Sudio than I am before I could try to author a specific Studio-to-Carrara migration guide.  Maybe my experiments with the new user folks will help me get there.

At this point it is just a theory that Studio users can be converted in sizable numbers.  If a specific guide is developed, it will take the efforts and input of many people.  But thanks for being open to the idea!

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Hmmm... they used to sell this under the new "petipet" name, does anyone know what happened to it?

Aircraft White Needle                      Aircraft Needle Texture Pack

This very fast aircraft design is for high altitude flying. Originally designed as an interceptor for the military, it's very high speed performance made it popular in air races and air shows once it's design became unclassified. This very light and highly maneuverable craft supports a single pilot cabin.

This unique model includes a sport version and a military version. The military version includes guided missiles and machine gun turrets as well as military style painting.

The landing gears can be extended or hidden inside the plane. The wing flaps are adjustable. The pilot cabin cover can be closed or open. Inside of the pilot cabin, the dash board and controls can be adjusted for flying or landed positions. Modeling for Geekatplay Studio by Apostoliuk Petro

I got it in 2013 but still have not used it yet.

I dont know but they say it is available by daz connect.

Really? I've made my own textures so that I can have a whole team of them without all the same numbers and such. Rosie even has her name on the side of hers, and so does Dart!

The thing reminds me of those really cool, long sports cars. It has an excellent shape!

edited November 2016

Really? I've made my own textures so that I can have a whole team of them without all the same numbers and such. Rosie even has her name on the side of hers, and so does Dart!

The thing reminds me of those really cool, long sports cars. It has an excellent shape!

I did some searches without any luck.  He must have pulled it.frown

However, on the bright side, petipet once again has a debut item today, and it is PC+!!

http://www.daz3d.com/dominator

Dart, in looking at the text of the Needle ad you posted, it also solved the mystery of petipet's identity.  His name is apparently Petro Apostoliuk, from Ukraine.

I got it in 2013 but still have not used it yet.

HA!  I've bought so much content this past two months, that I wonder if some of those items will also sit neglected for years.

I do know what Bryce is, and how it differs from Carrara.  But the specific differences between the two has nothing to do with my general point.

Actually it does,. it's the specific differences between these programs which are the reason for the different levels of content available to each application, and why both Bryce and Carrara have lower levels of products avaliable than daz studio.

each program is capable of doing different things.

Hopefully the user is aware of the features of each, and those form the decision to purchase that specific product,. before they actually make that purchase.

Daz studio, and Poser depend entirely upon using models created for use in those programs.

they're shipped with a bunch of Content to get you up and running, and a catalogue of content available to purchase.

There are no tools to alow the user to model your own content from scratch in those programs.

Daz Studio was developed by Daz3D,. it's their own product,.  as such it receives a lot of love and attention.

before developing Daz Studio, Daz3D was a business which sold "content" for use in Poser. and still is.

Bryce is a Landscape generation tool,.  It's sold as software to create landscapes.  that's always been It's primary role.

Daz3d purchased this program several years ago,. they didn't originally develop it.

a few years ago,.a "bridge" was developed,. a software transfer of data from Studio, into a scene in Bryce.

This offered Daz Studio users,. the option to purchase Bryce,.   to allow them to place a figure from daz studio,. into a Bryce landscape.

Carrara is a suite of tools which include some landscape and environment features, (like Bryce). but also includes the ability to load and use content from Poser or Daz Studio,. or allow the user to create their own models,  or landscapes, or plants,. or whatever they feel like making.

it also includes dynamic hair,. particle systems, forces, and physics.

Like Bryce,. Carrara was also purchased by Daz3D,.

The different Features, or capabilities of each program, dictate what levels of prebuilt content their users would need.

If the program is sold to people who want to create unique 3D worlds, fill them with unique characters,. animate those characters,  or use their imagination to create something which didn't exist yesterday,. then it's less likely that those people would be demanding to purchase a lot of premade content.

If the program is sold specifically to allow the user to create unique landscapes and environments,. it's also less likely that they would have a huge demand for premade content.

If the program is sold to only allow the user to load and pose premade models, and render an image of that,. then there is a high likelyhood of those users purchasing more premade content.

I'm not saying that purchasing premade content is bad, or wrong,. ..it can make many things easier and faster to achieve.

i'm trying to explain why different programs would have different levels of premade content available for them.

My point was that many more Bryce-specific products are OFFERED by Daz than are Carrara products.  And they are more interesting products.

And the point was made to specifically counter the argument that Daz doesn't OFFER Carrara products because it is a content creation package.

Your saying that more Bryce items are available than Carrara items ,.  I'd expect that to be the case,. and the main reason is becuase of what Carrara was built to do,. Allow the user complete creative freedom.

why is the largest amount of items available in the store, for Daz Studio and Poser ?

could it be that the users simply want to make an image quickly, with the least effort and as little though as possible.

do you think that Daz Studio is free, to help people,. or is it a strategy designed to drive sales.

DS users, can already use most of their DS content,. directly in Carrara,. the same applies to Poser users.

so, why don't they all use carrara ? ,. I think the simple answer is that they're quite happy doing what they're doing in DS, and they don't need any other features.

until they want to go further, and realise that they need features which Studio, or Poser doesn't have,. then they'll look at other 3D programs including Carrara.

sorry for the long explanation,. but you're constantly comparing things which aren't really comparable, and it's difficult to simply explain what the differences are and why different softwares would have different users , with different goals, and different levels of demand for premade content.

I hope that clarifies some stuff, and makes some sense. :)

edited November 2016
    3DAGE said:

Actually it does,. it's the specific differences between these programs which are the reason for the different levels of content available to each application, and why both Bryce and Carrara have lower levels of products avaliable than daz studio.

Actually, it doesn't.  We are simply talking past each other.smiley

As a longtime 3d user, and insider into the workings of Carrara, you have developed a strong opinion about why Carrara is not promoted by Daz in general:  it is a content creation software and Daz is more interested in selling content.

I'm sure there is some truth to this.  My first, most general point is, I don't think it is the whole truth.  Carrara users are in a unique position.  Carrara users can also easily USE Daz content, more than most other 3D content creation programs.  People like Dart and myself actually enjoy buying Daz content for use in Carrara.  Are we the only Carrara users who buy content?  Of course not.  There is a complaint thread on this forum where dozens of Carrara users have reported on the stunningly large amount of content they have purchased from Daz over the years.  Carrara users have the choice to use content, or to make content.  The evidence points to the fact that Carrara users in general buy an impressive amount of content.  So the idea that Daz neglects Carrara development because its users only create content, and do not buy it, is seemingly a sterotype that has some obvious limits.  That is my general point.

The second general point, was that Daz has made almost no investment in Carrara-specific content, indicating to me a lack of corporate support.  I brought up Bryce, not to quibble about how it is specifically different from Carrara, but because it too is a content creation software, and also neglected by Daz.  I also understand that both programs have less Daz Original products available to them than does Studio.  But the degree of difference surprised me very much.  Further, I would have suspected that Bryce would have less corporate support than Carrara - in terms of DO products - but the reverse was true.  That was my other general point.

3DAGE said:

Daz studio, and Poser depend entirely upon using models created for use in those programs.

they're shipped with a bunch of Content to get you up and running, and a catalogue of content available to purchase.

There are no tools to alow the user to model your own content from scratch in those programs.

I have to disagree.  I contacted and worked with a guy several years ago, a PA, who created all his products in Studio. It's not as friendly as Carrara, but a lot can be done there.

3DAGE said:

Daz Studio was developed by Daz3D,. it's their own product,.  as such it receives a lot of love and attention.

before developing Daz Studio, Daz3D was a business which sold "content" for use in Poser. and still is.

Bryce is a Landscape generation tool,.  It's sold as software to create landscapes.  that's always been It's primary role.

Daz3d purchased this program several years ago,. they didn't originally develop it.

a few years ago,.a "bridge" was developed,. a software transfer of data from Studio, into a scene in Bryce.

This offered Daz Studio users,. the option to purchase Bryce,.   to allow them to place a figure from daz studio,. into a Bryce landscape.

3DAGE said:

Carrara is a suite of tools which include some landscape and environment features, (like Bryce). but also includes the ability to load and use content from Poser or Daz Studio,. or allow the user to create their own models,  or landscapes, or plants,. or whatever they feel like making.

it also includes dynamic hair,. particle systems, forces, and physics.

Like Bryce,. Carrara was also purchased by Daz3D,.

I know all this, but it is probably good for readers here who don't   I am very new to Carrara, but have been with Studio - off and on - since 2007.  I own Bryce and Hex, but have not used them.

3DAGE said:

The different Features, or capabilities of each program, dictate what levels of prebuilt content their users would need.

If the program is sold to people who want to create unique 3D worlds, fill them with unique characters,. animate those characters,  or use their imagination to create something which didn't exist yesterday,. then it's less likely that those people would be demanding to purchase a lot of premade content.

Less likely, yes, but not to the degree of current lack of Daz support in the marketplace.

3DAGE said:
    so, why don't they all use carrara ? ,. I think the simple answer is that they're quite happy doing what they're doing in DS, and they don't need any other features.

until they want to go further, and realise that they need features which Studio, or Poser doesn't have,. then they'll look at other 3D programs including Carrara.

I've heard others express similar reasonable-sounding thoughts.  It certainly sounds logical, almost like a "natural order of things."   But my own investigation into Carrara has caused me to question this conclusion.  I think that users are less happy with Studio than you think, and are more than willing to stretch their boundaries if Carrara can be made friendly enough.  I also expect few here to agree with me.  All I know is, the status quo is not going to be kind to Carrara.  Either something changes, or it could easily go the way of the Amiga.  That's my sole motivation in getting involved in these kind of discussions.

3DAGE said:

sorry for the long explanation,. but you're constantly comparing things which aren't really comparable, and it's difficult to simply explain what the differences are and why different softwares would have different users , with different goals, and different levels of demand for premade content.

I appreciate that you care about my progress, and want to set me straight!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited November 2016

Hmmm... think I'll model me a razor blade or straight razor for splitting hairs. :)

UnifiedBrain,  I applaud your wishes to help folks make the transition to Carrara from DS. I wish you luck in your quest to do so.

Andy,  I used to applaud your posts... had to stop in fear of clapping my hands off... I now have a team of brain cells assigned to this task... should they wear out I'll form another team. :)

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

I just don't understand what is being said has to do with any must buys for the PC+ sale

maybe start another topic so the ones who come here to see any must buys don't have to skip over loads of posts that aren't about the topic and possibly miss a bargain which are rare for Carrara users. 

• Stezza said:

I just don't understand what is being said has to do with any must buys for the PC+ sale

I never intended this, sorry.  On the very first post of the thread, I asked if there were Carrara items I need to look for in the PC sale.  I was told that my best bet would have been LAST month, in the PA sale.  However, I got the bright idea that there must also be Daz Originals made specifically for Carrara, and since all DO's are on sale this month, I should still find some bargains.  But there weren't very many DO's at all, and in the process of reporting this, the topic has veered.  However, I don't regret any meanderings that anyone has done here.  We may not be tidy, but we are passionate.smiley  

Stezza said:

maybe start another topic so the ones who come here to see any must buys don't have to skip over loads of posts that aren't about the topic and possibly miss a bargain which are rare for Carrara users. 

I planned on doing that this week, but decided to spend time on Phil's tutorials instead.  The only Carrara-specific Daz Original items I found during the sale, were the Yosemite packs by Dimension Theory, and the Quad Racer (which is less discounted now, unfortunately).

http://www.daz3d.com/hdr-prosets-yosemite-pack-one

http://www.daz3d.com/hdr-prosets-yosemite-pack-two

http://www.daz3d.com/quad-racer

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

UnifiedBrain,  There is already Carrara Sale Email Message Alert thread which seems to catch anything Carrara related which is on sale. Since Oct 30 I think the last thing Carrara only was a list of all Carrara vendors which were on sale. Since it has had some sweet deals available which are DS but of course I as well as others consider to be Carrara content, in a roundabout way, also.

Instead of starting a different topic... I would change it's name and append "This Thread Started as "PC+ sale here now, any must-buys for Carrara?" to your first post. I like to read it as is... kewl info be here. :)

I support both arguments(between 3DAGE and UB) - as well as the other one by Stezza about this getting OT  - here are some thoughts to consider:

Nearly all items in the store can work in Carrara. That is one of the main reasons why there are a LOT less Carrara-specific products being made.

Bummer - they are not Carrara-specific, nor do many of them come with Carrara optimizations.

Truth is, Carrara is an underdog. Like it or not - it is. If we want to make money selling 3d assets, Daz Studio and Poser formats are the most popular. And we're not talking about 1 in 12, but more like 1 in 12,000 or even more.

Those of us whom want to take out art that extra step forward without buying thousands of dollar software are part of a minority.

As for PC+ items, I think that a lot of this side-discussion came along with the search for what the must-haves are, and things just get a bit in-depth along the way. 

edited November 2016

I did some searches without any luck.  He must have pulled it.frown

However, on the bright side, petipet once again has a debut item today, and it is PC+!!

http://www.daz3d.com/dominator

Dart, in looking at the text of the Needle ad you posted, it also solved the mystery of petipet's identity.  His name is apparently Petro Apostoliuk, from Ukraine.

Yes! That's why I pasted that in there! ;) Petro Rocks!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on