Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    McGuiver said:
    McGuiver said:

Binoculars model...part of a larger animated project.

Back at a little 3D with my one and only Carrara. smiley

I may need some advice on how to best animate a neck strap for these binoculars......Physics???   Been awhile, and I am rusty in some areas.

Nice!

Yeah, I've never done it, but I think what you'll want is soft body bullet, using soft-body attach to hook it up to the binoculars

Dart,

I got it done with bones & target helpers to hold the ends of the straps on the binoculars. It needs a little tweaking on the strap bones, but it's close.

The whole binocular mesh is subdivided, but I think I can turn all the subdivision off for actual use in the scene, since it will be pretty small when it's in the characters face, or when he is carrying them.

Edit: Got the strap under control & Leveled out the focus adjuster....m-happy now.

That's probably how I would have done it too. I'm more of a rig and morph guy than physics, though I do use that too.

Cool! Looks awesome!

Scarecrow said:

Bravo Scarecrow!!! Bravo!!!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

A big rock

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

yep that rock does rock

I am still populating mine, have done and about to upload a spin around vid

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited January 2017

and the video

other news my Octane has deactivated itself angry

update got it working, had some issues with windows compatibility settings and internet

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited January 2017

rock on

000 01 0217.jpg
    1441 x 627 - 307K
    Post edited by bigh on
  • ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 169
    edited January 2017

Bravo Scarecrow!!! Bravo!

Thanks! I made the fire with the materials from Nerd3d's Smoken Flames tool. In the materials folder there are frames for the fire animations, I loaded those into virtual dub and created an avi for color, and 1 for alpha. I used splats, loaded the avis into the shaders, (I made 2 shaders with the same videos and just slowed one down slightly so it looks like 2 different flames) parented them to her hand, and then I used a target helper and a point at modifier on the splat to keep them pointing straight up.

The Music is an original piece by me, with my friend Bobby Notkoff on the violin, the recording was engineered by me also at Frogville Studios in Santa Fe NM.

Great looking stuff by everyone!

Post edited by Scarecrow on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    Yes in Daz. Reality is not available for Carrara. Which render did you use? Octane? This is a render I did in Carrara straight out of the box. Daz would crash just loading the whole scene on my old PC.

There is Luxus for Carrara and the LUX core Beta available for Carrara. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2017

Wow, a really big rock really rocks!  Nice ones, Stezza and Wendy.

Bigh - I am floored, in a great way.  I can never get the cloud/light effect in your scene.  I mean the way the clouds are below the mountaintops and the patches of light affect the lower landscape.  Don't know why I always screw that up, but I really admire your work.smiley

Post edited by Diomede on
    diomede said:

Bigh - I am floored, in a great way.  I can never get the cloud/light effect in your scene.  I mean the way the clouds are below the mountaintops and the patches of light affect the lower landscape.  Don't know why I always screw that up, but I really admire your work.smiley

thank you smiley

diomede said:

Agreed... 100% All of it!  yes

edited January 2017
    Scarecrow said:

Bravo Scarecrow!!! Bravo!

Thanks! I made the fire with the materials from Nerd3d's Smoken Flames tool. In the materials folder there are frames for the fire animations, I loaded those into virtual dub and created an avi for color, and 1 for alpha. I used splats, loaded the avis into the shaders, (I made 2 shaders with the same videos and just slowed one down slightly so it looks like 2 different flames) parented them to her hand, and then I used a target helper and a point at modifier on the splat to keep them pointing straight up.

The Music is an original piece by me, with my friend Bobby Notkoff on the violin, the recording was engineered by me also at Frogville Studios in Santa Fe NM.

Great looking stuff by everyone!

Fantastic work! Thanks for giving the behind the scenes! Music is Awesome, by the way!

Cool idea, using Nerd's texture maps as stock footage! Sweet!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited January 2017

Kit Bash on New Year's Day

(I did this yesterday)

Always being a Firefly/Serenity fan, I saw the Marcoor FG ship as a means for a similarly sized vessel - a home in space for my characters.

I recently picked up Calypso and an expansion pack for it to add a cockpit to this drone, which only has a cpu module where a cockpit would go. The SS Fluke addon for the Calypso made for a perfect cockpit for it!

So last night I was thinking about how those large rocket engines would look on either side of the Marcoor FG... hmmmm... I tried it out and, after a bunch of tweaking... it looks (and works) beautifully!!!

Here's the top view of the Marcoor

Here's the top of the Drone (Hunter-Killer) - after being scaled to fit with the Marcoor

Here's the merging from the same angle

Here are the front views

Marcoor

Hunter-Killer Drone

Merge

Final Render within a Project Xion city - heat ripple added in Project Dogwaffle Howler

I'd also like to add that the arms seen under the ship are the landing gear from the Drone (by CyberTenko) which works beautifully with this kit-bash. They end up at an excellent center of gravity. Plus, although Ididn't mind animating them by hand, the Marcoor's landing gear (now removed) pose dials don't work in Carrara - the Drone's do! :)  Truly, though... positioning the landing gear from the marcoor is super easy - no big deal that the dials don't work... really. I just really like the added coolness this kit-bask offers this amazingly cool vessel!

Marcoor Top.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 193K
    Hunter Top.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 178K
    Marc Hunter Top.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 268K
    Marcoor FC1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 169K
    Hunter FC1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 127K
    Marc Hunter FC1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 199K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    McGuiver said:

I may need some advice on how to best animate a neck strap for these binoculars......Physics???   Been awhile, and I am rusty in some areas.

Inspiring, thanks for posting!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Doh - I only just found this extended thread so just had a catch up - some wonderful images on here already!

PhilW said:

Doh - I only just found this extended thread so just had a catch up - some wonderful images on here already!

Welcome Home!

Notice how your posting has already beed ported over! ;)

McGuiver said:

Inspiring, thanks for posting!

Awesome, eh? 

McGuiver is a Pro Carrara user with all manner of excellent workflow experience and can really get it done! We don't see him often, so I always like to pay close attention when he does! ;)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    McGuiver said:
    McGuiver said:

Nice!

Yeah, I've never done it, but I think what you'll want is soft body bullet, using soft-body attach to hook it up to the binoculars

Dart,

I got it done with bones & target helpers to hold the ends of the straps on the binoculars. It needs a little tweaking on the strap bones, but it's close.

The whole binocular mesh is subdivided, but I think I can turn all the subdivision off for actual use in the scene, since it will be pretty small when it's in the characters face, or when he is carrying them.

Edit: Got the strap under control & Leveled out the focus adjuster....m-happy now.

Nice to see you posting McGuiver, you work on the old forums was always inspirational.

(I did this yesterday)

Always being a Firefly/Serenity fan, I saw the Marcoor FG ship as a means for a similarly sized vessel - a home in space for my characters.

I recently picked up Calypso and an expansion pack for it to add a cockpit to this drone, which only has a cpu module where a cockpit would go. The SS Fluke addon for the Calypso made for a perfect cockpit for it!

So last night I was thinking about how those large rocket engines would look on either side of the Marcoor FG... hmmmm... I tried it out and, after a bunch of tweaking... it looks (and works) beautifully!!!

Here's the top view of the Marcoor the same angle

Here are the front views

Marcoor

Hunter-Killer Drone

Merge

Final Render within a Project Xion city - heat ripple added in Project Dogwaffle Howler

Dart I do believe that you are getting better and bettererer and bettterererer . They are superb renders, wonderful job on the kit bashing - and the heat ripple on that last one takes it another notch up.

The atmopshere in that one, is it from post work only, or did you drop in a cloud or something in the car scene?

head wax said:

(I did this yesterday)

Here's the top view of the Marcoor the same angle

Here are the front views

Marcoor

Hunter-Killer Drone

Merge

Dart I do believe that you are getting better and bettererer and bettterererer . They are superb renders, wonderful job on the kit bashing - and the heat ripple on that last one takes it another notch up.

The atmopshere in that one, is it from post work only, or did you drop in a cloud or something in the car scene?

Thanks!!!

For almost all of 2016, I use some form of atmosphere in every Carrara scene I make. Sometimes it might be just the fog setting in the realistic sky editor, very close to - if not exactly the same as - the way it's set up in my EnvironKits. 

I've even recently found that this also works on interior scenes - even if we cannot see the sky or nothing outside can leak in - it still works. Setting the distance scale in the RSE from 1 mi. = 1 mi. to 1 mi. = 5 mi. will thicken the effect closer to the camera, for example. More for more, less for less, and so on.

Other times it might be just the top end of a volumetric cloud, also as I've set up in the EnvironKits. Often times it's both.

This scene uses both, and I've added a dirty-colored light to shine onto the Volumetric Clouds only to help give a heavy urban feel. Then I added a new Volumetric cloud and, in the actual cloud settings changed the height to equal the horizontal size and really tweaked the setting to be very opaque with high silver lining settings.

Back in the Assemble Room, I go Edit > Center Hotpoint, then Edit > Send to Origin to center the cloud in my scene

Then I type 0 (zero) to center my Director Camera on the whole cloud so I can very quickly scale it down. Scaling from 'inside' the cloud can take forever, which is why I explained the zooming out thing ;)

This cloud was set between the vessel and the camera, and I took several test renders to position it to NOT block out the engine fire - made the fire look dark and dingy... just not good. So I was very patient and calculating to get that right before upping my quality settings (I always shoot may test renders)

====  POSTWORK  ====

In Howler I did a quick and simple color grading to give a cinematic color and feel - make the colors pop a bit better

Drew a large, rough circle-like shape around the near engine, and then subtracted the engine and its flame from the selection, stored the selection, blurred the selection and stored again, then applied Bokeh Blur to it carefully in order to desharpen the details in that area, then applied the Wave Distortion transformation effect to it - both times using interactive undo to minimize the effect to taste.

Then I desaturated and darkened the Gamma of the selected area to add a bit of contrast

Selected just around the flame, softened the selection and sharply removed the edge of the engine and color graded and blurred the flame individually

Refreshed my stored selection of the original unblurred circular area with engine removed and, this time added the flame back in along with a bit of the lower part of the engine, blurred that selection a LOT (selection, not image) and applied the wave distortion again using a different seed, graded the color/contrast/gamma and applied the wave distortion again - each time using interactive undo to lessen the final effect I decide upon. They say to make it fit your vision in your eyes, then back off 30%, and I've been finding that I work fairly similarly to that - by accident! LOL

I also sparingly apply lens flare - most often using the ones with no reflection orb distortions - just to add my own brand of aura on the parts that are supposed to emit light - just to make them look like they're emitting light - and I also use the interactive undo for each of those, often building them up slowly to add some glow around the source light. Then (and only then!), when I'm done with all of such lens flare work, I might add one (one) which uses the reflection orb distortions, although I didn't add one of those in this one. It's so easy to overdo those, I usually make it a practice to avoid them altogether, except in animations, where subtlety is so much easier to control.

I should also note that the heat ripple looks SO MUCH BETTER in animations, where we can see it working as an effect. It's very much lost in the clouds of this image! ;)

@Dartanbeck, thanks very much for that, that's a great explanation.

Be interesting to have a thread with memorable images like yours with a quick and dirty explanation attached as to how certain effects were done.

edited January 2017

My pleasure - My Passion

I'm working on that now, behind the scenes. I hope to have it up and growing fairly soon 

A lot of this stuff came from my buying Howler. Remember that? Learning how to use that  - I've learned that I was also learning how to perform VFX as use by filmmakers, which launched a whole new realm of study for me. I'm really looking forward to sharing how I've adapted this all into my Carrara workflow. Carrara rocks! I just love it! Howler too!

...and Thanks for the kind words!

head wax said:

@Dartanbeck, thanks very much for that, that's a great explanation.

Be interesting to have a thread with memorable images like yours with a quick and dirty explanation attached as to how certain effects were done.

Besides, it'll be nice to have the articles with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, explaining what each one was, to be used as evidence against us....

Arlo Guthrie

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited January 2017

Here is one I made to one of my neighbor, who is a nurse ....

The text is translated :

Be nice to a nurse today

Tomorrow they will be nice to you

Nurses.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 514K
    Post edited by Chohole on

well done yes

Agreed! Very cool - and a great message too!

Lovely nurses and sentiment - but that hospital corridor needs a good clean!

• kakmankakman Posts: 225

I used this for the Music Credits for my BluRay disc of our Christmas trip to Wheeling, WV.

Products used:

Cyclorama

Music In Motion by PandyGirl

Winter Gels for Carrara by DimensionTheory

Wheeling---Music-Credit-Final-png.png
    1920 x 1080 - 713K
  • kakmankakman Posts: 225

I used this for the Credits End Plate for my BluRay disc of our Christmas trip to Wheeling, WV.

Products used:

Winter Wonderland by ARTCollaborations

Starry Sky for Carrara by Dartanbeck

V4 & M4

Wheeling-2016---Moon-Gaze-Final.png
    1920 x 1080 - 689K
    edited January 2017

Kakman - very nice images for that purpose!

I just posted this one to the dynamic clothing thread but couldn't resist sharing it here too. I made the clothing (draped with that dynamic plugin) and the hair and combined a few different characters to get the look I wanted.  Then rendered in Octane. No prizes for guessing the inspiration!

Post edited by PhilW on

Beautiful work, kakman! What did you do for the moon ghost? I love the effect!

PhilW, nice job! Looks just like Sansa!

This discussion has been closed.