Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Your name spelling is a dyslesic trap. I even pulled up another post to copy it out right... and still it didn't work. How would you feel about being called Bob? (depending very much here if you are a Blackadder fan).

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

Your name spelling is a dyslesic trap. I even pulled up another post to copy it out right... and still it didn't work. How would you feel about being called Bob? (depending very much here if you are a Blackadder fan).
    LOL :), I would suspect that most Irish names are a touch dyslexic unfriendly.
    I know, most people find my name interesting but I know only one person who never misspells it. One of my three friends, someone I met a few years back. The first thing he did was: He looked my name up on the internet to find everything out about it.
    How about you call me George? George Monday..
    Na, that wouldnt be funny.
    In case you dont know George, here a short clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFdO8OlTau0
    Post edited by eireann.sg on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    Just finished rendering this.
    Found the truck at www.archive3D.net, they say they have 35,000 plus models.
    The ground is Davids Desert and Stone.
    Changed it to suit what I wanted and left it to render while I watched TV.
    Just looked at the finished image and it's turned out looking like a child's
    toy truck.
    Quite like it though. Don't normally use other peoples models but a truck was a bit to much.

This looks like an example of how David is always saying DOF makes things look smaller. You didn't mention usinf DOF but the blurriness of the background gives it that effect if you didn't. I think with a better back gound with something to give it more scale that truck could look like a full size truck rather then a toy. Either way it's a nice looking model.

edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    Just finished rendering this.
    Found the truck at www.archive3D.net, they say they have 35,000 plus models.
    The ground is Davids Desert and Stone.
    Changed it to suit what I wanted and left it to render while I watched TV.
    Just looked at the finished image and it's turned out looking like a child's
    toy truck.
    Quite like it though. Don't normally use other peoples models but a truck was a bit to much.

This looks like an example of how David is always saying DOF makes things look smaller. You didn't mention usinf DOF but the blurriness of the background gives it that effect if you didn't. I think with a better back gound with something to give it more scale that truck could look like a full size truck rather then a toy. Either way it's a nice looking model.

I agree, but I don't think DOF was used, just that the HDRI image is rather soft.

edited December 1969

I agree, but I don't think DOF was used, just that the HDRI image is rather soft.

These Cheats LOL :)
    I softened quite a few of the HDRIs coming with bryce so that the reflections dont look too crisp.
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

These Cheats LOL :)
    I softened quite a few of the HDRIs coming with bryce so that the reflections dont look too crisp.
    That's why we have the Specular Map option. Specular convolution retains the lights better than just a Gaussion filter.
    edited December 1969

Here's a fun, if somewhat weird effect. I took Horo's fish eye view lens and stuck it inside itself to create "Fish eye view lens extreme edition".

First image is the original, those of you with the mentoring DVD might recognise.

Second image is the fish eye extreme.

Fish_eye_view_lens_extreme_edition1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 224K
    02-03_Desert_road2_scene5b.jpg
    650 x 500 - 166K
    edited December 1969

Here's a fun, if somewhat weird effect. I took Horo's fish eye view lens and stuck it inside itself to create "Fish eye view lens extreme edition".

First image is the original, those of you with the mentoring DVD might recognise.

Second image is the fish eye extreme.

And then... what if I put that inside another fish eye lens...

Fish_eye_view_lens_extreme_edition2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 205K
    edited December 1969

The limitation of this effect for rendered scenes is when the lens system starts to get bigger than the scene...

First image... just fits...

Second image, however, since Horo's HDRI are "infinitely" large (well... huge in Bryce terms). Fitting in a lens is easy and the results blisteringly fast.

Enhanced_fisheye2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 257K
    Fish_eye_view_lens_extreme_edition3.jpg
    500 x 650 - 164K
    edited February 2013

Here's another made from one of Horo's HDRI.

The second is just a different camera angle.

And the third.

Forth - another HDRI of Horo's.

Five - picking out a detail with pan v and pan h

Enhanced_fisheye7.jpg
    850 x 850 - 526K
    Enhanced_fisheye6.jpg
    850 x 850 - 546K
    Enhanced_fisheye5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 595K
    Enhanced_fisheye4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 437K
    Enhanced_fisheye3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 481K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited February 2013

That's FUN! It didn't occur to me to test this way. Here's what happens:

1. image, camera with EWL in centre of a 5 degree ripcage, looking up. Red circle is horizon.

2. Image, as 1st, but two EWLs, the second is double as large (the larger, the more extreme it gets).

3. Image, one EWL, looking up (Devil's Bridge HDRI).

4. Image, two EWLs, also looking up (Bhutan Bridge HDRI).

Little Planet, huh?

TwoTopR.jpg
    800 x 800 - 81K
    OneTopR.jpg
    800 x 800 - 79K
    TwoTopC.jpg
    800 x 800 - 209K
    OneTopC.jpg
    800 x 800 - 216K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    That's FUN! It didn't occur to me to test this way.

That is why you let me borrow your toys! Although sometimes I just break things...

I like this effect, it will baffle photographers who have not got access to impossible lenses maybe? Or can this be done with special real world lenses on cameras?

Efish_puddle_test1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    edited December 1969

I do not know of any 340° fisheye lens. However, a full panorama can be remapped in certain graphics applications. The examples with the double EWL look a bit like mirror ball shots. The periphery gets blurred.

edited December 1969

Testing the new GWL (gigantic wide angle lens). A mix of methods this one.

gwl2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 513K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Still playing with the city blocks...

CityFlight.jpg
    770 x 1300 - 434K
    edited December 1969

Still playing with the city blocks...

These city block renders are wonderful but... I can't help but feel something is missing... the lines are so straight so... what's the word? Rectilinear. Yeah... goodness, if only someone were to invent a wide angle lens for the Bryce camera...

No seriously, great render! Don't forget to post a second entry to the Stonemason contest. He has already stated that he is interested in strong composition and I've got to say that's certainly your strong suit - in my view (obviously composition is to a degree subjective).

• mx42bmx42b Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

The truth in the mirror

trthmrrord.png
    1114 x 829 - 861K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: The city images look great. Nice work.

@David: Those fish eye images give me mixed impressions. One in the first group makes me feel I'm looking up a shaft from below ground. All but one of the second group make me feel I'm looking down into a shaft having water at its base. One makes me feel I'm looking out from within a hollow log. The effects are really great.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

I'm very impressed with what I am seeing in this thread. I am curious what happens to David's glowing silhouette ideal if a negative light is used. It could be cool, not sure.

Fantastic work everyone, really wish I had more time to participate. I've sort of gotten myself into some trouble in the Carrara forums, I'm in charge of a CCMP (Carrara Community Movie Project) but I wont let that take me away from Bryce and my fascinating Bryce forum.

Glad to see such good things going on here.

edited February 2013

GussNemo said:

@David: Those fish eye images give me mixed impressions. One in the first group makes me feel I'm looking up a shaft from below ground. All but one of the second group make me feel I'm looking down into a shaft having water at its base. One makes me feel I'm looking out from within a hollow log. The effects are really great.

And this one? Up or down or along?

Modified the gamma slightly in PSP8 to increase contrast.

Edit. And here is an animation!

Horo's gigantic wide angle lens - an animation within a lightprobe - by David Brinnen

Sm_gwl1_fc1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 708K
    edited February 2013

@David: I'm standing on the rim edge looking down into a shaft or caldera. Do like the look that fish eye produces. Neat animation. My reference point must be buried deep because I felt like I was moving into or out of a tunnel. Still, loved the effects.

Post edited by GussNemo on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

... No seriously, great render! Don't forget to post a second entry to the Stonemason contest. He has already stated that he is interested in strong composition and I've got to say that's certainly your strong suit - in my view (obviously composition is to a degree subjective).

The problem there is that I've already used up my extensive collection of Stonemason models in my first entry. :-)
    If I had some spare money there are a few of his models I'd like to buy just for fun, but being a struggling artist... I'm skint at the moment.
    I'm expecting a big wedge of dosh anytime soon and if it comes in before the contest ends, I'll certainly have another go... if it doesn't I'll re-use the same freebie I used in the first entry, but put it in a totally different context or something.

OK, this will be the last of the city block renders for now as I have something else that needs looking at.
    And this one took the longest of this set... not the render, that was done in no time, but it's taken me two days of phaffing around and tweaking to get the materials, lights and reflections to look something close.

CityNight3.jpg
    806 x 975 - 509K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Mx42b...nice one!

• Francis TaylorFrancis Taylor Posts: 84
    edited February 2013

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/015/3/c/wipeout_2250__dalu_bay_by_fran444-d5rkx6v.jpg

Im a HUGE fan of the WIPEOUT SERIES and decided to design a set of courses set in the year 2250. Welcome to the F-10,000 Racing League.
    Still a work in progress. Animation coming soon.

trackcrowd.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 461K
    TRACKC.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 425K
    wipeoutf.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 552K
    Post edited by Francis Taylor on
    edited December 1969

fran444 said:
    http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/015/3/c/wipeout_2250__dalu_bay_by_fran444-d5rkx6v.jpg

Im a HUGE fan of the WIPEOUT SERIES and decided to design a set of courses set in the year 2250. Welcome to the F-10,000 Racing League.
    Still a work in progress. Animation coming soon.

Breathtaking renders Fran444 - I hope you were not upset that I was doubtful about the non use of postwork on the video you posted, but take it as the kind of doubtful that is looking forwards and happy to being proved wrong. The glowing halo's around the lights are very impressive, the whole effect is cinematic. If you are turning these into animations, I'm already sure they are going to be stunning.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

Horo's gigantic wide angle lens - an animation within a lightprobe - by David Brinnenare there any tuts how to make such wide angle lenses?

edited December 1969

@Dave: That's a real nice image, not hard to see why you spent the time on it.

@fran: Those really look great. So much detail, nice job.

edited December 1969

@mx42b - great idea.

@TheSavage64 - all those city renders look very good. It shows that the same model can be used to create completely different views. Very instructive.

@fran444 - absolutely stunning renders.

edited February 2013

... No seriously, great render! Don't forget to post a second entry to the Stonemason contest. He has already stated that he is interested in strong composition and I've got to say that's certainly your strong suit - in my view (obviously composition is to a degree subjective).

The problem there is that I've already used up my extensive collection of Stonemason models in my first entry. :-)
    If I had some spare money there are a few of his models I'd like to buy just for fun, but being a struggling artist... I'm skint at the moment.
    I'm expecting a big wedge of dosh anytime soon and if it comes in before the contest ends, I'll certainly have another go... if it doesn't I'll re-use the same freebie I used in the first entry, but put it in a totally different context or something.

OK, this will be the last of the city block renders for now as I have something else that needs looking at.
    And this one took the longest of this set... not the render, that was done in no time, but it's taken me two days of phaffing around and tweaking to get the materials, lights and reflections to look something close.

I meant to say, but got distracted by midgets (in Borderlands 2 if you must know) but I guess there's nothing wrong with getting distracted by midgets on any account?

Let me start again, I meant to say - what a good job you did with the materials on those buildings! I've tried this myself many times and know how tricky that effect is to set up and it works a treat in that render.

A question Dave, I'm curious to know, how often have you been troubled by mountain lions outside the city?

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

Horo's gigantic wide angle lens - an animation within a lightprobe - by David Brinnen

are there any tuts how to make such wide angle lenses?

Not that I know of, this is a new thing Horo has invented here and we are preparing a package of lenses, tutorials and goodies for a future product. As you might guess, with any of these lens systems they require a lot of tweaking and testing to get just right so that by the time they are ready for public consumption we know all their quirks and can make the using of them as simple as possible for the most number of people.

This discussion has been closed.