Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: The city images look great. Nice work.

@David: Those fish eye images give me mixed impressions. One in the first group makes me feel I'm looking up a shaft from below ground. All but one of the second group make me feel I'm looking down into a shaft having water at its base. One makes me feel I'm looking out from within a hollow log. The effects are really great.

And this one? Up or down or along?

Modified the gamma slightly in PSP8 to increase contrast.

Edit. And here is an animation!

Horo's gigantic wide angle lens - an animation within a lightprobe - by David Brinnen

are there any tuts how to make such wide angle lenses?

Not that I know of, this is a new thing Horo has invented here and we are preparing a package of lenses, tutorials and goodies for a future product. As you might guess, with any of these lens systems they require a lot of tweaking and testing to get just right so that by the time they are ready for public consumption we know all their quirks and can make the using of them as simple as possible for the most number of people.OIC. Can imagine its a bit fiddly. Thats why it can only be sold.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I meant to say, but got distracted by midgets (in Borderlands 2 if you must know) but I guess there's nothing wrong with getting distracted by midgets on any account?
    Just a small distraction then... never short on entertainment.

Let me start again, I meant to say - what a good job you did with the materials on those buildings! I've tried this myself many times and know how tricky that effect is to set up and it works a treat in that render.

Yes, getting it to work was the main problem. First I rather stupidly tried one of the transparent 'city lights' mats, by duplicating the city to add the material over the top of it, but that didn't do much and of course made the render times into days instead of hours (I never completed any with that material on). So I had to get rid of the materials that were on the blocks and substitute it for the one I used, which then was a good deal of time altering the ambience, specular and lighting to get both sides of the building so the windows were lit up equally while getting one side of the building lit up and the other side in shadow. Then highlighting some of the buildings and increasing the frequency of the mat just to add some variation so all the buildings didn't look exactly the same.

A question Dave, I'm curious to know, how often have you been troubled by mountain lions outside the city?
    I had in mind while doing these, that they were highlighting the wonderful world of Bryce... In that world, Mountain Lions are often seen as a problem by Mac users. ;-)

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited February 2013

Dave, imagine me groaning at your puns (which you will recognise as the true sound of pun appreciation). Do you listen to "I'm sorry I haven't a clue"? And yes, about the Lion's yes clever, very clever. I should have seen that.

OK, still tinkering away madly with the GWL.

Horo's gigantic wide angle lens - an animation within a lightprobe 2 - by David Brinnen

Deepspace_anim2.jpg
    700 x 394 - 84K
    Deepspace_anim1.jpg
    700 x 394 - 110K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Francis TaylorFrancis Taylor Posts: 84
    edited February 2013

Here are some older renders i did a few years back. I like to draw characters & import the PNG file into bryce. I like the look.

LOUNGE_ACT.jpg
    604 x 512 - 48K
    bike.jpg
    720 x 540 - 185K
    alley.jpg
    720 x 480 - 153K
    hall.jpg
    720 x 540 - 195K
    Post edited by Francis Taylor on
    edited December 1969

fran444 said:
    Here are some older renders i did a few years back. I like to draw characters & import the PNG file into bryce. I like the look.

Nice mix of 2d elements and 3d reminds me a bit of the game lume in style, but with higher production values. Your style seems very well developed and appears clearly expressed through Bryce which indicates more than anything a high degree of control over your media (although to be far, having seen the Battlestar animation, I don't think that could be doubted).

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@fran444 - not what we're used to see here. Outstanding artwork. The 2D image fits in well. Looking forward to see more from you.

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Not seen anything as clever and complex as Horo's, but for a quick and dirty wide with barrel distortion you can place the camera inside or behind a primitive with a transparent material + refraction greater or lesser than 100. This'll get you curved horizons and bent objects, but not much else. It's an ancient Bryce technique from the previous century.

wide2.jpg
    864 x 610 - 73K
    edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:

Not seen anything as clever and complex as Horo's, but for a quick and dirty wide with barrel distortion you can place the camera inside or behind a primitive with a transparent material + refraction greater or lesser than 100. This'll get you curved horizons and bent objects, but not much else. It's an ancient Bryce technique from the previous century.

Done that before but it didnt give me that effect.
    I even placed a sphere in front of and onto the camera, refractive index between 101 and 300 and still dont get results that are close. In fact I get results real optics in real life would not give me.
    Maybe I should try RI of less than 100. Thats something I havent tried yet.

edited December 1969

This started out as a 3D doodle, just sticking some shapes together... Then it turned into an afternoon and evening of modelling.
    Not finished yet obviously, but it's shaping up OK.

SpaceMosque.jpg
    650 x 650 - 167K
    edited December 1969

In the case of the shot above, it's a squashed sphere (short axis in line with camera view) with an RI of 130. You can also point the camera at a reflective sphere, but that gives you a headache lining up on the scene behind.

Note that with either method your camera effectively becomes visible, so if you have a mirror in the scene you might have problems.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

This started out as a 3D doodle, just sticking some shapes together... Then it turned into an afternoon and evening of modelling.
    Not finished yet obviously, but it's shaping up OK.

You did that all in Bryce? Nicely done!! :-)
    edited February 2013

several still renders from some animation projects i have finished and those in the pipieline. Bryce 7 Renders. Hope You Guys Dig 'em.

BULLET-TEST.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 323K
    the-home-underground1.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 571K
    VIPER-SHOOTOUT.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 332K
    Home_underground.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 497K
    trackcrowd.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 456K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: Really neat affects from your latest.

@Dave: I'd love to get results like that from playing around.

@fran: Very nice images. Love the great detail.

edited December 1969

Thanks Guss.

Well even though it's not finished, I did fancy doing something with it, so I've made this scene and included it... At first I was going to postwork some laser beams and explosions into it, but then I figured the threat of attack was a more powerful image than the actual attack.

OtherPlanet2ALT.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 243K
    edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:

In the case of the shot above, it's a squashed sphere (short axis in line with camera view) with an RI of 130. You can also point the camera at a reflective sphere, but that gives you a headache lining up on the scene behind.

Note that with either method your camera effectively becomes visible, so if you have a mirror in the scene you might have problems.

Nice pic. I tried various spheres and reflective stuff, but guess it needs someone with longer experience with Bryce to do that.
    Pnly slight changes in RI seem to have strong effects and I am not the most patient type to try that all out.
    I always admire all those cities or alien worlds the seniors here come up with but I somehow dont have the patience to sit many hours or even days in front the computer to create one picture.
    That impatience makes me probably a bad artist. I need fast results before my restless legs make me jump up and wander around.
    Here something reflective and something transparent.

dist5.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 156K
    dist3.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 170K
    dist2.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 220K
    dist.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 233K
    edited February 2013

These are some old animation tests from some previous art i've shown... the Bryce 5 days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v26OvyTY5NY

reel.jpg
    665 x 516 - 80K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: The city images look great. Nice work.

@David: Those fish eye images give me mixed impressions. One in the first group makes me feel I'm looking up a shaft from below ground. All but one of the second group make me feel I'm looking down into a shaft having water at its base. One makes me feel I'm looking out from within a hollow log. The effects are really great.

And this one? Up or down or along?

Modified the gamma slightly in PSP8 to increase contrast.

Edit. And here is an animation!

Horo's gigantic wide angle lens - an animation within a lightprobe - by David Brinnen

Not that I know of, this is a new thing Horo has invented here and we are preparing a package of lenses, tutorials and goodies for a future product. As you might guess, with any of these lens systems they require a lot of tweaking and testing to get just right so that by the time they are ready for public consumption we know all their quirks and can make the using of them as simple as possible for the most number of people.

hmmm well, I don't have this new toy of Horo's but a bit of knowledge goes along way....

fisheye.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 956K
    edited December 1969

Still playing with the GWL...

And made another short tutorial. This one aims to provide just the method without any of my theories on how things work. So you just follow the steps - all the steps - and it should just work. That's the theory behind that.

Bryce "TCB" - obscure lighting - a five minute tutorial by David Brinnen

Video_TCB2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 125K
    GWL_still_v0.jpg
    934 x 700 - 231K
    edited December 1969

Nice pic.

LOL, thanks, but no - it was just an insta-slap scene using pretty much the default Bryce opener with some stretched cubes, just to show the bendies. Not even a pic, really.

...but I somehow dont have the patience to sit many hours or even days in front the computer to create one picture.

I have the patience but not the hours, so we're about even.

edited December 1969

And made another short tutorial. This one aims to provide just the method without any of my theories on how things work. So you just follow the steps - all the steps - and it should just work.

Thanks again, David. This quick guide will be handy for my combination of lack of time and lack of memory. TA - I just love what you've done with the place.

Do you script and practice your tutorial vids, or are you just that good? (expect some sort of backhanded insult if you are ;-))

edited February 2013

Still playing with the GWL...

And made another short tutorial. This one aims to provide just the method without any of my theories on how things work. So you just follow the steps - all the steps - and it should just work. That's the theory behind that.

If you change the refractive index the blob in the centre changes a lot.
    What I also noticed:
    When I make a lens, use IBL as picture and disable sunlight, then the sunlight is still being reflected. You really have to go to all places that have something to do with sunlight and disable it or turn it down. That disable sunlight option doesnt do a lot.
    Post edited by eireann.sg on
    edited December 1969

This model is turning into a full blown project now...

Still more to do, but I've spent a few more hours overnight making alts and additions.

SpaceMosqueStage2.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 436K
    edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:

And made another short tutorial. This one aims to provide just the method without any of my theories on how things work. So you just follow the steps - all the steps - and it should just work.

Thanks again, David. This quick guide will be handy for my combination of lack of time and lack of memory. TA - I just love what you've done with the place.

Do you script and practice your tutorial vids, or are you just that good? (expect some sort of backhanded insult if you are ;-))

You are welcome... well, if the shorter to the point video's prove popular I will make more of those. I - wrongly it seems - thought that people would want to know all the "whys and wherefores" - but maybe that is just me? And everyone else is just happy to get on with their artworks and let the Bryce imps do their magic in the background undisturbed.

"That good?" really? Ha, my video's are full of mistakes. But since you asked, here's how it works. I tried scripting, but my shoddy reading skills let me down. I'm not a very consistent reader, I tend to read both words and lines out of order. Which is why Rashad's mega-posts when he makes them, take me a long time to digest. I also discovered that correcting errors is very time consuming and fiddly. If I'm making a five minute video (all my video's are five minute video's when I start out - I never intend to go on as long as I do), so anyway, if I am making a five minute video and make five mistakes that will need editing out, I may as well just re-record rather than fight with the video editing software. My voice will last longer than my patience with editing.

To break it down... So I have an idea and test it. Then I think about what I've done and see if I can make the process a bit more streamlined - reduce the steps kind of thing. Do that a couple of times, going over in my head what I think are the key points. Then I make the video - or at least try. If I make a mistake, I just usually re-do from the start until I stop making any really bad mistakes. Then go in and edit out where I've used words that don't exist in the English language and a few of the "ums" (I soon get tired of that game) and aside from a bit of text, zooms and intro/exit - that's it. I try not to be too precious about the whole thing - otherwise I'd never be satisfied.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - fascinating model.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

I was going to say that!

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

Awesome work by everyone.

Dave I love your latest model. I’m inspired now to try modeling in Bryce.

Still doodling with David’s tutorials this one is Bryce still life project - "capsules" - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

capsules.jpg
    640 x 480 - 23K
    edited December 1969

Still doodling with David’s tutorials this one is Bryce still life project - "capsules" - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

Well done, that looks very convincing. I'm pleased to see you have been able to follow the tutorial. I hope you are happy with the result and can envision using this approach again (but based on subjects of your own concoction).

I've continued to test/meddle with Horo's gigantic wide angle lens.

I am fascinated by the curious distortions that give the background image a seemingly entirely contrary geometry. I thought some of the results looked like islands floating in a blue sea and others were like peering down a well. So I tried to transform that idea into a terrain. Here's the result. Then I decided to do another animation based on the falling down the well idea.

Horo's gigantic wide angle lens - "The Well" an animation - by David Brinnen

GWL_well_v2.jpg
    933 x 700 - 403K
    edited December 1969

I am fascinated by the curious distortions that give the background image a seemingly entirely contrary geometry. I thought some of the results looked like islands floating in a blue sea and others were like peering down a well. So I tried to transform that idea into a terrain. Here's the result. Then I decided to do another animation based on the falling down the well idea.

Horo's gigantic wide angle lens - "The Well" an animation - by David Brinnen

These are really great David and I have to wonder having recently read a thread about Fractal animations if this technique could be used to give the appearance of a constantly changing zooming in on a colourful fractal mandlebrot pattern?

Or maybe using one of the Escher animal patterns where the birds turn into fish etc.

Just a thought. :)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

I was going to say that!
    That makes 3 of us. I really like the way this is turning out Savage. ;-)
    edited December 1969

I - wrongly it seems - thought that people would want to know all the "whys and wherefores" - but maybe that is just me? And everyone else is just happy to get on with their artworks and let the Bryce imps do their magic in the background undisturbed.

Not at all, David. I really enjoy and appreciate the "rambling" videos that relay the details of your explorations and discoveries. They add much to my understanding. Not sure the summary would be much help without the explanation (not for me, anyway). My comments about the short summary video were strictly related to my time and memory issues (lack thereof). I don't have too many opportunities to Bryce nowadays, and remembering that you said to "use gel" (or something) and where exactly in a video you said it is tough. With the short summary I can refresh my brain before a session without losing half the evening rummaging for a detail.

If the question is x or y - the answer is both, please.

"That good?" really? Ha, my video's are full of mistakes.

Strictly speaking, they're full of [mostly good stuff and a few mistakes]. But I was more getting at you knowing your stuff rather than you being a slick presenter. It's better to be dyslexic David knowing exactly what-does-what and what-goes-where, than it is to be word perfect Philip Schofield and spout utter cock.

And having said that, your presentation is pretty damn good too. Not blowing smoke up your derrier, either.

This discussion has been closed.