Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

I love everything I'm seeing in this thread. David, I seriously cannot keep up with your discoveries. Fascinating. The scratched metal looks brilliant. I'd say the scratches need to be finer, but otherwise, this is flawless. And lens is also doing something very desirable in that shot.

I finally have something to contribute. Feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Deco_Interior_Scene.jpg
    1280 x 840 - 556K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited February 2013

I love everything I'm seeing in this thread. David, I seriously cannot keep up with your discoveries. Fascinating. The scratched metal looks brilliant. I'd say the scratches need to be finer, but otherwise, this is flawless. And lens is also doing something very desirable in that shot.

I finally have something to contribute. Feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Thank you Rashad, yes you know us, we like to dig into things and find out what's going on under the surface. The wide angle lens is very nice to work with, it changes the whole feel of the render just by bolting it over the camera - not unlike the crafty postwork skills of Dwsel - only we've still not figured chromatic aberration in the lens (that would be good too).

Your render, well... aesthetically, looks wonderful.

The chairs are convincingly velvety - so I guess this took a long time to render if you are using your negative light tricks?

The balance of light is very nice. The light through the windows has good power. The walls look like satin paint.

Indeed, if you are looking for criticism, I can only offer three minor things. The building outside does not look to scale - it may be, I'm not saying it isn't but something about the level of detail or the light is making it look small. Everything seems a little bit too glossy. And lastly, and only because I know you can do it, the plants look too solid. Particularly the one in the window, in all that light.

But as I said, that's scraping the barrel for criticism. It is very good.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Rashad, I am sure Jack would love to see this. There is a thread here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15224/

• Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

I was going to give you feedback, buy my jaw is too busy sitting on the floor.

That is just fantastic. I love it.

• Waleed - JordanWaleed - Jordan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

very nice composition Rashad

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited February 2013

Rashad...so gorgeous...that table in the centre with the reflection is eye-candy, as, too, that art-deco type window. The contrast between the dark furniture in the lower half of the work against the upper lighted ceiling (and walls etc.,) is a good trick.

Feedback: Is there too much light in the ceiling part? Perhaps, leave the walls as is, but darken the ceiling a little would be my suggestion.

Did an interior scene awhile back and they really can be time-consuming (and I don’t mean render times etc.,), can’t they, and it’s like one is really going to ‘move in’ at the end of it all. But, alas, not to be! Prices for furniture these days are just way too high - wonder how much that gorgeous table would cost me...hahaaa :)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

Rashad- gorgeous composition.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@Rashad - good to see you working with Bryce. There's not much to add, most has already been said. Of course, the light is spot on, so are the shadows. I'm not sure to agree with David about the size of the building opposite. It looks good to me. What puzzles me, however, is where all that light comes from that lights up the underside of the window frame. It may be the bright floor but I think it is a bit on the bright side. The ceiling may have a light or is partly made of glass that could account for its brightness. Theses are all very minor quibbles, the render is fantastic and shows off how far advanced the Bryce lighting options are if you have mastered them.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Getting side tracked again. :roll:

This started off as a sand dunes landscape (for the temple complex model).
    But it started looking like something else so I ran with it.

Snake.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 318K
    edited December 1969

Excellent light Dave and good choice of materials!

So... getting distracted from what we should be doing? Here I am again pondering skin. Skin is a tricky topic. Here I've tried yet another way to give Bryce SSS - this one is much faster than previous attempts, but it's still not fast. Each of this small renders took about fifteen minutes (and many hours to work out how to get the light interactions I wanted - and even still it's not right).

SSSagain3.jpg
    350 x 350 - 47K
    SSSagain1.jpg
    350 x 350 - 26K
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - that's a very good scene. I like the choices you made. Camera position is spot on.

@David - I lake the right one better though the light that seems to come through the ear at the left one looks good.

edited December 1969

I wish Davids multi-replicate tutorial existed when I made this image a few months ago.

Everything was entered into the multi-replicater manually.

AbstractCubes.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • WsCGWsCG Posts: 391
    edited February 2013

Gotta give props to what I'm seeing in this thread. I have no idea how you people are getting such awesome looking results out of Bryce. I'm following tutorials and, even doing what the tutorials instruct, I can't get anything to look good, at all. The lighting never looks right. The textures always look ugly... It's like one "bleh" result after another. I must have worked through about 20 scenes now, and my 20th looks no better than my first. They all look horrible. Then I see some stuff on this thread and it just blows my mind that this is being done with the same program I can't get a decent looking terrain out of.

Beginning to think Bryce and I just aren't made for each other heh. It's just not clicking for me.

But seriously.. some amazing work here.

Post edited by WsCG on
    edited December 1969

Beginning to think Bryce and I just aren't made for each other heh. It's just not clicking for me.

But seriously.. some amazing work here.

Whatever you do... DO NOT GIVE UP!!! I'm only slightly ahead of you, by not much. Lighting a scene is one of the things I struggle with. Practice...Practice...Practice :)

edited December 1969

@miketvogel - a good strategy is to begin with default grey objects (landscapes or whatever) and set the sky black, so that you get a black render. Then start adding lights - begin with sunlight only. Once the grey stuff looks good in the light, add materials to them. Start with what you find in the library and tweak. No need to re-invent the wheel, just make it rounder. Oh, and, we all started small.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Super work, Analog...has a 'Cubist' feel to it, and the colour mix is...yum.

edited December 1969

One on the right, rendered larger (took about three hours) with slight modifications. Not without issues clearly - most obvious of which is Bryce's mesh smoothing problem (which also badly impacts on curvature resolution).

SSSagain4.jpg
    700 x 700 - 139K
    edited December 1969

... I finally have something to contribute. Feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Must say, this is one great render, love the lighting and materials used... and being a fan of Deco, it think it all comes together rather nicely.

If there was one small criticism It's that your render has now added to my day's distractions as I've spent the rest of the day making a lamp that would better suit the desk and as a result haven't got any further with my own little project. :lol:
    But I've meaning to do one of these for a while now, so I forgive you.

LampChrome.jpg
    450 x 650 - 179K
    LampBronze.jpg
    450 x 650 - 177K
    edited December 1969

The output here is just amazing. :) I'm waiting for my next abstract to finish rendering estimated render time 43 minutes.

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Super work, Analog...has a 'Cubist' feel to it, and the colour mix is...yum.

Thanks for the kind comments, very much appreciated.

• TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited February 2013

Hello all, first time posting here... I was chatting with David on YouTube and deviantArt and he suggested I should post some of my work over here for you folks to check out. I've been a Bryce user since version 5 and have really had a lot of fun with the program over the years. I also have a couple of tutorials fro abstracts over on dA as well if anyone is interested.

Well here are some examples, from abstracts and my chess series, and some work with the Aikobot figure imported from Poser.

You can see more at tlbklaus.deviantart.com ... :D

aikoportrait1wp.jpg
    500 x 750 - 274K
    facetswp.jpg
    1330 x 748 - 1M
    chess10-03-1024.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 393K
    chess12-07wp.jpg
    1330 x 748 - 1M
    simplicity58wp.jpg
    1330 x 748 - 1M
    Post edited by TLBKlaus on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Oh, I just love that "chess game in the sky" render. Very nice indeed. Please do post more of your Bryce renders, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see them. ;-)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

... I finally have something to contribute. Feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Must say, this is one great render, love the lighting and materials used... and being a fan of Deco, it think it all comes together rather nicely.

If there was one small criticism It's that your render has now added to my day's distractions as I've spent the rest of the day making a lamp that would better suit the desk and as a result haven't got any further with my own little project. :lol:
    But I've meaning to do one of these for a while now, so I forgive you.
    Oh, that lamp on the left is perfect. Not that I don't like the chrome one on the right, but the left one not only looks Deco, it looks antique. Nicely done sir. :-)

• AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    edited December 1969

Gorgeous work, everyone. I'm kind of jealous-- my last real Bryce renders were back in the 7 beta, and my sister let me play with her copy of the program. :)

I just did this one... I'm trying to render a larger one, but it's going to be a few hours. :) Nothing too creative or exciting, just fun with Bryce and the Instance Lab.

My older renders, hosted at dA :)

http://asuyuka-kimeno.deviantart.com/art/Arches-171057107
    http://asuyuka-kimeno.deviantart.com/art/Moon-Sea-Panorama-193617290?q=gallery:asuyuka-kimeno/10024051&qo=76 (I think that one was for a tutorial, I just posted my results)
    http://asuyuka-kimeno.deviantart.com/art/Spirit-of-Atlantis-183349076?q=gallery:asuyuka-kimeno/10024051&qo=83

She let me near Groboto AND Bryce. That one took an amazing time to render :)

abs4.jpg
    1114 x 819 - 540K
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - I like the lamps, they look great. Nicely complete with the power cable.

@TLBKlaus - The chess in space looks great. Did you make the figures?

@Ariaso - So the spheres will roll along their shadows.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

As usual lovely work from everyone.
    TLBKlaus and Ariaso looking forward to seeing more of your work

My doodle combining David’s

Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - multi-replicate - a tutorial by David Brinnen

And
    Bryce 10 minute lighting project - use sky appendix - a tutorial by David Brinnen

specularpmultireplicate.jpg
    695 x 695 - 27K
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Oh, that lamp on the left is perfect. Not that I don't like the chrome one on the right, but the left one not only looks Deco, it looks antique. Nicely done sir. :-)

Thanks Miss B. :)

Twiddling around with it some more, I delved into the more Nouveau style.

NouveauLamp2.jpg
    450 x 650 - 292K
    NouveauLamp1.jpg
    450 x 650 - 230K
    edited December 1969

The left one would suit me fine :) Very nicely done.

• TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

ty all, and I'll post some more in a little while...

@Horo ... yes, I made the pieces myself -- the knight's heads are imported from Poser, the rest are made with mostly metaballs and cylinders for the bases.

edited December 1969

This one took around 8 hours to render.

Abstract_14.jpg
    960 x 540 - 852K
This discussion has been closed.