Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

As the animation aspect to Bryce doesn't get that much of a look-in, here's (preview below - YouTube vid) the latest to keep [it], somewhat, of interest. Inclusion of the water was really a surprise, as it followed the outline of layers on the Mars's surface - proof, that the planet did at one time have water...hahaaa. NASA will surely have to admit the case now - thanks to Bryce ;)

Jay

mars-water.jpg
    633 x 329 - 158K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Rashad, the new render looks better again, and the last one did look very good indeed. I don't really feel I should complain about anything really. You've far exceeded my expectations of what it is normally possible to achieve in terms of Bryce and interior lighting. If only my office was so light, large and most of all, clean and tidy!

Sasje, third render! Third render! What did my third render look like? Probably infinite water surface and silver balls... Impressive.

Stuart, looks good, but your jagged line issue is down to the way the HDRI image is interpolated to compensate for a lack of resolution. This will be an issue with anything where you have a fairly narrow field of view and a HDRI image backdrop. The answer is either, slot in a high resolution image behind your scene. Or use DOF or blurred transmissions and a thin sheet for blurring glass in front of the HDRI backdrop. I would go for DOF since that is a natural choice for a still life subject like this.

Dave, that's quick work, want to come down here and fix up my Subaru?

Jay, nice smooth animation, dread to think how long it took to render! I particularly like the bit where it dives into the strata, finds a critter and turns it into a fossil. Or at least that's what I think happens.

Me, oh, I've been animating too... nothing so advanced, more glowing squiggles and stuff. Hope to have a link to that soon. And in the mean time, another interior building experiment. I had a lot of trouble with scale and the segments refused to line up and stay lined up. Every time I went into a lab they jumped back into a different position. Very annoying bug. I've encountered this before... sure I've put it in the bugtracker... anyway, here it is.

Another_twisted_tower_inside1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 469K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Dave, that's quick work, want to come down here and fix up my Subaru?

No... but if you could email it to me....

:lol:

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@Sasje - nice render and great for a beginner. Though I must add that it is difficult to asses what you've done in Bryce and what in post production. I'm a purist and try to do all in Bryce, but that's not an argument since the result counts, not the means.

@Rashad - I like this one much more, you used a slower film to photograph it, so to speak. Light is more balanced, less hard contrast but still enough. Funny, those dome and fill lights don't work for me. Last time I needed such, I resorted to the old Bryce 6 method. Obviously, I miss something important. However, I'm a great fan of the parallel lights.

@Jamahoney - fantastic, nice to see you coming back to that sort of renders. Tell me, have you used DEMs? If yes, which part of Mars did you use? Obviously, the wormy thing is an image, I remember having seen it in the AW&ST; and PS.

@StuartB4 - HDRI size may be the issue, as David suggests. FoV is the issue. Imagine, an HDRI covers 360°, FoV is set to 30° and you render 1500 pixels wide. Your HDRI has to be at least 360/30=12 times 1500 pixels, which is 18,000 pixels wide. By the way, what Bryce indicates as FoV is the diagonal of a 4:3 aspect ratio document.

@David - that indoor render looks great.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

David...many thanks, and, yep, took for ages to render (broken up into several pieces, however, makes them look small, though). Love the spiral building, and great perspective also. That un-matching bug is a curse, looks like.

Thanks also, Horo...yeah, an HiRise DEM – referenced in the credits. The ‘worrmy thingy’ was created just by sticking some rocks of various sizes together, which I then blended into the official NASA imaged ‘worm?’ (still controversial) - found in the ALH84001 Mars’s meteorite.

Jay

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much for the feedback on my last render. Taking the feedback I received from various forums, here is a retake with some different materials on the furniture and some minor tweaks to the lighting. To me the scene holds together better, has less of a sharp contrast between the foreground and background. But as always, feedback is appreciated.

Loving this version of the render as well Rashad.

As I had asked about the other version, though you might have missed it, what desk model is that? It works perfectly with the other furniture in Jack's Classic Deco pack, but I don't recognize where it may have come from. Color me curious. :-)

edited December 1969

What colour is curiosity Miss B?

Another test of Horo's extra wide angle lens, the horizon is the circle, the rest is reflections on three spheres.

Hotlineorange1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 209K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Thanks David and Horo for the explanation.
    Just going to write out 100 times "I must do it right next time"

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

I love everything I'm seeing in this thread. David, I seriously cannot keep up with your discoveries. Fascinating. The scratched metal looks brilliant. I'd say the scratches need to be finer, but otherwise, this is flawless. And lens is also doing something very desirable in that shot.

I finally have something to contribute. Feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Isn't there some rule about not posting photos as if they were renders? ;-)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

1 Big Gulp

1_Big_Gulp.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 189K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I guess that depends on the individual. For me, shades of grey. ;-)
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Trouble with being absent for a time is catching up with what everyone has done. Really like what I've seen since my last visit. And the new tutorials are great, David. Nice job, something to really look into.

• Waleed - JordanWaleed - Jordan Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

Waleed: Thanks a ton good sir! I wonder when you will get around to doing your first architectural renders of interiors? I’m sure you will have tons of amazing ideas. Fun Fun.

Very nice Rashad you made some beautiful amendments and revisions I think it is better from before ...... and for this I have the honor to present to you my Image done by Bryce 5.0 about the lighting improvements , I have a challenge with my students the Architects in the university that they said Bryce is not like Max and V.ray , I said NO maybe better than them but wait till I finish and prove this to you you will see my theory right ,,,,, I'm still testing some elements there on Bryce ...... I hope you will like it Rashad

I also present this for my friends here (the Bridge Light) new 2013 fro the Bryce light testing

red2.JPG
    768 x 512 - 294K
    oooooooooooo.JPG
    512 x 714 - 440K
    Post edited by Waleed - Jordan on
    edited February 2013

Miss B said:

I guess that depends on the individual. For me, shades of grey. ;-)

Oh... I had to think about that... I don't have a TV so I remain quite isolated (Edit: from the media - I live on the East Coast of Lincolnshire, so in real life also quite isolated), but a certain book, about grey and it's numerous shades, did get mentioned on Radio 4...

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,329
    edited December 1969

I really need to spend *a lot* more time here, fantastic creations from everyone :)

edited December 1969

Found a new model... Brycified all the materials.

This model has so much detail (there's even a battery under the seat (even though you can't see it).

BlackWidow1.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 275K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the positive feedback!!!

MissB, The desk is a model I made several years ago in Truespace. I felt it fit well in this situation. Send me a pm with your email and I'll send it to you. Thanks for looking!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Found a new model... Brycified all the materials.

This model has so much detail (there's even a battery under the seat (even though you can't see it).

That looks very much like Catamaran's Black Widow

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    That looks very much like Catamaran's Black Widow

That'll be because it is. :-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I think it was of his othere's I used in this image, probably Road Gypsy

riders_of_the_storm_postwork.jpg
    960 x 720 - 330K
  • Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited February 2013

Look!!! I was able to follow David Brinnen's Wings3D/Multireplicate Tutorial :)
    Bryce “Nuts and Bolts” - multi-replicate 2 - a tutorial by David Brinnen

This makes me very happy, because this is the first time I've been able to model something in Wings3D. As I've mentioned before I learn best by visual example.

tut.jpg
    637 x 850 - 381K
    Post edited by Analog-X64 on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Let there be more Dragons.

KeyKeepers1.jpg
    750 x 563 - 485K
    edited December 1969

A massive (relative to what I usually do) render... really worth looking at full size.
    I had to do it to show off the detail of the Stonemason Tin Pan Alley... And an excuse to use the Ford F1 pick up truck again.

I actually rendered it in three tiles.

TruckAlleyDuskComp.jpg
    1000 x 1950 - 590K
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Thank you StuartB4, David and Horo.
    Is there a way to make some dust in Bryce? I used now some brushes.

“Horses”

horses_1bew.jpg
    800 x 650 - 259K
  • Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

A massive (relative to what I usually do) render... really worth looking at full size.
    I had to do it to show off the detail of the Stonemason Tin Pan Alley... And an excuse to use the Ford F1 pick up truck again.

I actually rendered it in three tiles.

That looks fantastic. How long did take to render this one?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    Is there a way to make some dust in Bryce? I used now some brushes.

You could use some of the volumetric cloud or smoke materials. Apply the material to a sphere or other shape, and adjust the color and density to match the dust color you want. It can be a bit tricky to avoid getting obvious edges to the dust cloud, you may have to experiment with several settings before you get something acceptable.

For starters, try some of these materials:

screenshot,_dust_materials.png
    669 x 414 - 113K
    edited December 1969

That looks fantastic. How long did take to render this one?

Thanks.
    All together, the three tiles took eight and a half hours (four hours for the bottom and middle sections and 30 minutes for the top).
    That's with everything thrown at it (TA, IBL, Soft Shadows).
    edited December 1969

You could use some of the volumetric cloud or smoke materials. Apply the material to a sphere or other shape, and adjust the color and density to match the dust color you want.

And be prepared for increased render times, increased by a lot if you've got anything more than a very basic sun light lighting set up.
    Stones are usually the best for adding volumetrics to as they have a less uniform shape to start with.

I used this technique for a similar thing last year.

Horseman.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 188K
  • mach25mach25 Posts: 256
    edited December 1969

some WIP that I never finished, glass picture is photos taken on a real church in munich
    I have no idea why it produces some artifacts there

churchtestrender2.jpg
    600 x 447 - 72K
    A4cathedraltest.jpg
    600 x 391 - 35K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@David - red abstract looks great.

@bigh - nice to see another render of yours. Hungry chap here.

@TheSavage64 - great bike (we've called that sort chopper here), reminds me of the early seventies.

The Pan Alley is just awesome. The pick up fits nicely. The light is spot on, could be a photograph.

Nice "photograph" from last century with the rider in the narrow valley.

@Pam - great bike! Is that you?

@Analog-X64 - tower came out great.

@StuartB4 - this key holder image is an outstanding render. You've modelled the keys and pencils, I take it?

@Sasje - very nice horses. Yes, dust is missing. Sean Riesch gave you good advice. It is a bit tricky to get ot right.

@Mach25 - good idea. The light is a bit on the bright side.

This discussion has been closed.