ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited January 2017 in Bryce Discussion
  • 25th Daz3D Bryce Render challenge

•  

• Now Sponsored by Daz 3D

•  

•  Theme for this challenge is    ~~"Resolution"~~

• §§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

Resolution,  what does that word mean to you.   As a 3d Artist probalby the first thing that you think of is the resolution of the image you are doing, but resolution can mean many other things

A firm decision to do or not to do something:
A formal expression of opinion or intention agreed on by a legislative body or other formal meeting, typically after taking a vote:
The quality of being determined or resolute:
The action of solving a problem or contentious matter:
The disappearance of a symptom or condition:

Etc    etc.    I am sure you can find more by looking at on line dictionaries like this one   https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/resolution

Or if you are like me and like real books you may even have a dictionary or encyclopedia on your book shelves which could give you Ideas  (How Quaint)

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before the render is transferred to the actual Contest thread for judging. You don't have to do that.we collect up all the finished ones and make the thread, with each render given a number and title, but no artist name shown, so it's a blind judging thread for the judging panel.

Rules

• 

All renders must be new renders.
  • 

You can enter up to 3 renders.
  • 

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS
  • 

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.
  • 

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.
  • 

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.
  • 

The winner of the Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the next contest.
  • 

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the minimum of delay between contests.
  • 

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

Please don't post your entry renders anywhere else until after the Challenge is judged, as judging is done in a blind judging thread, so the Judges don't know who has done which image.

Challenge ends on 31st February 2017 :- Midnight DAZ 3D time

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist Place $30
2nd Place $20
3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D Store Credit will be given to the people whose renders are selected as the Honourable mentions,
$10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team and guest judges.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

And an extra prize of $5 will be awarded at the end of the contest, for the first person who spots the typo.

• this is a difficult theme, I think....I`m looking forward to the Pictures you all show heresmiley

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,153
    edited January 2017
    Chohole said:

And an extra prize of $5 will be awarded at the end of the contest, for the first person who spots the typo.

I suspect that it is probalby well hidden!

ETA: I hope to have time to open up Bryce again this month and maybe put in an entry or two (I missed the last one completely)

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,103
    edited January 2017

That's a difficult one.

Finding the typo is easy : "probalby" instead of "probably".

MelanieL : you were just one minute faster  ! 

Post edited by adbc on
  • This is a difficult theme, but why not. Let's see what we all think about it.

OK,  so it seems I miscounted the Typos, so there is one typo and one deliberate mistake.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,004
    edited January 2017

probalby  and 31st February 2017 are the typo and deliberate mistake

Post edited by mermaid010 on

OK,   both spotted now.   On the list for when the contest ends.

Well spotted, Mermaid!

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited January 2017

Resolution...indecision....good luck - you'll need it.

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited January 2017

Wip

Compound Eye

Click on image for full size.

compound-eye-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 607K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821
    edited January 2017

@Fishtales:
    A great idea for this topic and very well implemented.

My first entry:
    Sometimes there is a different resolution for a riddle than planned...

Another Way

Labyrinth and background city with terrains created in Bryce, figures: Lorenzo Lowrez and a freebie from the net.

Another Way.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by drachenlords on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,757

Wow, Chohole, what a nice, but difficult challenge!

Fishtales: good start!

drachenlords: Really wonderful render.

• Thank you, Hansmar

• A material experiment:
    Michael 3 with normal texture, in Bryce superimposed with a copy of himself, which however was occupied with a granular volume mat.
    Result: A kind of resolution ....

My second entry:

Resolution in Desert Storm

Resulotin in Desert Storm.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited January 2017

HMS Resolution

There have been several ships of this name, but perhaps the most famous was the one in which Captain James Cook led his second and third voyages of scientific exploration between 1772 and his death in 1779. The 1772 voyage was made in search of Terra Australis, during which he visited several islands of the South Seas.

I used Faveral's lovely Warraok Kitt model, based on a Breton merchant ship but actually not entirely dissimilar in shape and rigging to HMS Resolution, which was a recommissioned Whitby Collier. The sky and lighting is one of Horo's Sunless HDRI Skies.

I managed to get the bridge to DAZ Studio to work (I've had some problems in the past) to import my "skeleton crew" of Lorenzo LoRez's and a little wildlife. And I only managed to crash Bryce twice (attempting a random replicate of a large number of birds) which isn't too bad!

HMS-Resolution.jpg
    1536 x 768 - 760K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

Fishtales - I love your compound eye (but I'm curious about what's that going on a third of the way along the top edge?)

drachenlords - your maze is really good (those planks look very realistically wobbly!) and your desert storm effect is really interesting.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,004
    edited January 2017

Beautiful renders to start this challenge

Fishtales - cool idea - Compound Eye, like Melaniel I also wonder what are the white thingies on the top.

Drachenlords- both your entries are awesome as usual, lovely ideas.

Melaniel - love your render and idea. There is a nice freebie of a flock of birds at Archive3D.

Post edited by mermaid010 on

Fishtales : great compound eye and yep what are the white things on top ? tears ?

drachenlords : awesome renders both your entries.

MelanieL : Love your image.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,131

Fishtales - reminds me of an insects facetted eye.

drachelords - great maze and the chap balancing over the blanks looks excellent. Desert storm is an outstanding scene. One can feel the wind.

MelanieL - beautiful render.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited January 2017

@Horo they are interchangeable I think but the proper name is compound eye.

I wasn't too happy with the white reflection either. It was coming from the HDRI so I moved it and it disappeared so here is the same image only rendered using TA at 64.

compound-eye-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 715K
    Post edited by Fishtales on

mermaid010 - thank you. I'll have to go look for that flock of birds, it could be useful. I usually add them to renders afterwards using Ron's Birds brushes, but I wanted to keep this oner postwork-free if possible.
    adbc, Horo - thank you both
    Fishtales - ah, so that's what it was! The updated version looks even better.

• Thanks for the nice comments.

@ MelanieL:
    Beautiful picture. Like it a lot.

@Fishtales:
    I had seen the spot, but thought of a blind spot in the eye. ;-)

Drachenlords: Wonderful experiment with great effect.

MelanieL: Good idea to use such a history. Great render too.

Fishtales: I was not really bothered by the white reflection. What I wonder is, what it would look like without the surrounding having such a detailed texture in a similar colour? Why not use a very differently coloured, but vague background to bring out the eye even more?

drachenlords, Hansmar - thank you both. Now I just have to find another way (or two) of looking at "Resolution"...

• @Hansmar: Thank you very much.
    @MelanieL: I think synonymous already how I make a third picture with this topic. Is the times something tricky, but let's see what all of us still thinks so.wink

You are much too fast; I can't even think of one render I can reasonably do in this contest. But then, often I get sudden ideas, so who knows.

• One question - can we bend the topic a bit. Instead of resolution simply Resolut?

edited January 2017

The resolution to leave the planet.

"Space Travel"

Space Travel.jpg
    900 x 450 - 111K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,131

Fishtales - new version looks even better.

adbc - cool render.