25th Bryce Challenge ### RESOLUTION ###

Comments

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,113
    edited February 2017

My last entry.

A resolution has to be made here. The strategy is to (b)eat the wolves.

Title : Strategy.

Strategy_.jpg
    943 x 471 - 161K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,163

adbc - beautifil render.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,765

adbc: I completely agree with Horo!

Horo, Hansmar : thank you for your comment.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    mtnmen said:

@ hansmar... Thank you for the great comment and thank you for the Wiki link about Droste effect... never knew it had a name, I just remember seeing this on Morton's Salt box...
    Thanks Horo for your comments
    and thanks to drachenlords and adbc as well...

Hehe! Several times I have used this effect, but did not know its name.
    Why no shadows?

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,036

Mtnmen - wow beautiful render.

Adbc - outstanding, stunning render.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,998

_so, which is the render size for the actual Challenge  ??

_thanks_``~...

mermaid010 : thank you !

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,171

mtnmen - what a bright idea your picture-within-a-picture is (and I hadn't heard of Droste Effect either) and nicely done

adbc - lovely render of the white tigers vs the wolves

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444

@adbc... Strategy... Gorgeous image
    @slepalex...  You know, I looked at my scene and wondered the same thing about no shadows... This was my second attempt at this image... In the first I had a different sky with a different Sun placement... and there were plenty of shadows... I didn't continue with that particular image as I had the easel slightly angled , rather than straight on as is in my final image... and as the picture was being placed within the picture within the picture etc... the images were difficult to place accomodating the angle of the canvas so I started all over again with the one I entered...and the canvas was straight on..
    In going back to the image and trying to see some shadows I checked the angle of the Sun and I think that's the reason for no shadows...showing... if not ... I don't have a clue...
    here is the sun's placement image

sun placement.jpg
    144 x 100 - 13K
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    mtnmen said:

@slepalex...  You know, I looked at my scene and wondered the same thing about no shadows... This was my second attempt at this image... In the first I had a different sky with a different Sun placement... and there were plenty of shadows... I didn't continue with that particular image as I had the easel slightly angled , rather than straight on as is in my final image... and as the picture was being placed within the picture within the picture etc... the images were difficult to place accomodating the angle of the canvas so I started all over again with the one I entered...and the canvas was straight on..
    In going back to the image and trying to see some shadows I checked the angle of the Sun and I think that's the reason for no shadows...showing... if not ... I don't have a clue...

It's not the angle of the sun! Show me a screenshot Sky Lab and I will tell you what the reason.

MelanieL, mtnmen : thank you for your comment.

• mtnmen said:

The default Sun is the master shadow control for all lights in a Bryce scene. If the shadows are disabled for the sunlight then no shadows will be cast by any radials or other lights in the scene. It is usually best to use use full shadow depth in the skylab and adjust the depth of shadows locally per light source. Some sky presets can do odd things so it's best to know yourself where to look for these issues. I'm certain you will solve it.

@slepalex...
    @Rashad Carter...
     Thank you for pointing me in the right direction to solve my dilemma of no shadows in my image... In the screenshot of the the skylab... I saw that Sun/Moon shadows was unchecked... I thought that I must have unchecked it...inadvertantly ...not knowing... but after reading Rashad's comment I thought perhaps it was part of the sky preset I chose...
    ... So... I have checked that little dot in the skylab and my image with shadows is rendering as I type...a bit longer render time considering the addition of shadows, no doubt... When it is done I may make that my first entry...
    Thank you to you both for increasing my Bryce knowledge..

shadows UNchecked.jpg
    643 x 544 - 261K
    sky lab shadows checked.jpg
    639 x 540 - 263K
  • mtnmen said:

@slepalex...
    @Rashad Carter...
     Thank you for pointing me in the right direction to solve my dilemma of no shadows in my image... In the screenshot of the the skylab... I saw that Sun/Moon shadows was unchecked... I thought that I must have unchecked it...inadvertantly ...not knowing... but after reading Rashad's comment I thought perhaps it was part of the sky preset I chose...
    ... So... I have checked that little dot in the skylab and my image with shadows is rendering as I type...a bit longer render time considering the addition of shadows, no doubt... When it is done I may make that my first entry...
    Thank you to you both for increasing my Bryce knowledge..

Glad to help. The only other thing to keep in mind is  that when loading in an HDRI it will disable the Sun completely, light and shadows. You have to remember to re-enable it. Looking forward to the new image.

• ApocApoc Posts: 407
    edited February 2017

My definition of resolution is quality. So I think a diamond of the highest grade, is a good idea for this

Diamond2.png
    1200 x 720 - 2M
    Diamond.png
    1200 x 720 - 2M
    Post edited by Apoc on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Can you please attach an image,  so THat I can use the attachment thumbnail when generating the Judging thread.   Thanks

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,036

Apoc - beautiful renders - welcome to the challenge.

• ApocApoc Posts: 407

Chohole said:

Can you please attach an image,  so THat I can use the attachment thumbnail when generating the Judging thread.   Thanks

Sure, sorry about that.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2017

Post edited by Chohole on

apoc - beautiful render.

Apoc : very nice render !

@apoc...Beautiful render... very striking

apoc: How beautiful; well done!

Okay... Here is my first entry complete with shadows...

Within You and Without You

Within You and Without You image2.jpg
    960 x 720 - 667K

mtnmen: I could be mistaken, but to me, it looks like the table is not grounded. No, I'm quite sure both the table and the easel are flying in the air, which probably would not be your intention. But if you can correct that, it is a great scene!

• Hansmar said:

mtnmen: I could be mistaken, but to me, it looks like the table is not grounded. No, I'm quite sure both the table and the easel are flying in the air, which probably would not be your intention. But if you can correct that, it is a great scene!

I think Hans is correct. Now that shadows are enabled, the only reason for the lack of shadows beneath the easel and the ground is because the two are not coming into any contact with one another. You'll have to re-align your items so that everything is accurately placed. I think you'll find the shadows of the legs will look really good when the image is reproduced repeatedly n the view.

Th emore 3 dimensional the orignal frame, the more depth the compound Droste effect will have.

mtnmen - the sun seems to shine from the right. Easel and table ought to cast a shadow on the ground. They seem to be above the ground. I blink-compared the two versions. The ground does accept shadows, so does the table at right.

edited February 2017

My first Entry: A chaos of many differently bent and twisted ideas finally get focused.

Title: Joint Resolution

JointResolution

JointResolution.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 395K
    Post edited by Horo on

Horo : Very impressive render, gorgeous colours !