MimicMolly's Renders & WIPs

Comments

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114
    edited March 2018

Another render of Ronen wearing Minto's sweater. This time, I attempted realism by simulating a home photo. Though I failed because of dForce and how it distorted the sweater, among other things. This was edited with GIMP since I wanted that automatic flash look with the date stamp.

He's on the Daybed Romance in Apartment 39. Those shoes are from Cute3D High Tops. (These were also used in the previous Pharah render.)

Cursed Image.jpg
    1800 x 1222 - 720K
    Post edited by MimicMolly on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

NIce! He does look like a normal guy. One of my son's friends was a serious body builder who looked just like this in his clothes lol.

Whenever I dforce something I take everything out of the scene that isn't needed, including hair etc.  And yes, nothing should be touching lol.  It makes for some rather violent explosions.

@IceDragonArt With Ronen, it's just me messing around and not using him as recommended i.e. as some sort of action hero or muscular guy showing off his body. I still need to figure out how to add dForce to older items (and acrually look up tutorials not just mess around on my own). I like dForce so far because it helps with autofit in reducing the shrink-wrapped appearance, making the clothes look like they fit better. 

edited April 2020

IDK what's going on with Daz Studio but it kept crashing when I tried to autofit the top from dForce Yoshino Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s) onto this G8M character. (An OC/muse character named Reese, who I'd normally draw.) Instead I had to use another dForce top and try again (this time, no crashing.) The top I used was from dForce Onyx Goth Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s), except I used the red velvet iray shader but made pink on the transparent mesh parts and inside of the hoodie to change it up a bit. The skin is actually from Vini for Genesis 8 Male, but due to this HDR and my postworking, it's barely recognizable except for the brows. His jeans are from the Smooth Talker Outfirt for Genesis 8 Male(s). The HDR background was a freebie meant for Star 2.0 found here

The character is based on Darius 8 but with the DO head morphs and RareStone's morphs mixed in. I can't exactly re-make his body to my taste, I would need Zev0's Shapeshift morphs for that. I used Hellboy's lashes utilities too since I felt his lashes needed to be thicker/prettiier. His spiky bracelet is from RebelGirl - Outfit V4 by digiPixel from Renderosity but with the "cast iron" default iray shader applied to it. That shader was also applied to the jacket's metallic accents too.

EDIT April 11,2020: I had posted this render in some other community art thread, but later felt my art didn't belong there because that whole thread had a cliquey feel to it. (If you weren't part of their circle, then they'd all collectively ignore you.) So I deleted this render from it. Good thing I had linked to there from here.

ReeseG8M.jpg
    1424 x 2346 - 520K
    edited April 2018

This is actually part of another render I did at a higher resolution, so you can see Reese's face in better detail. In this render, I tried to use the Lucas 8 HD morphs but I don't actually see a difference. :/

He is supposed to have like a 1970s rockstar look to him, even though the character himself doesn't really sing or much less like to be out in public. He is just a schemer, very smart but hardly any common sense sometimes, but he has friends who try to keep him in check. XD

Untitled.jpg
    1048 x 912 - 188K
    edited April 2018

In yesterday's flash sale, I finally got the Pretty Base Next Generation 8 for Genesis 8 Female. I had wishlisted her prior as well as the G3F counterpart. However, I couldn't decide which one to buy but eventually, I realized that the G8F was the one to get since I've been using it more. Anyway, I like her. I had heard others say they were not too fond of her "angry" expression but then that's just the way her skin is textured. I tested it out with various G8F skins I have. 

Which one do you prefer?

I rendered her default skin in the second one, since in the first one the render made her face look thin. All have the same shape.

Pretty1.png
    1920 x 817 - 2M
    Pretty2.png
    1920 x 817 - 2M
    edited April 2018

Another Pretty Base render I did was this one. And this time the Yoshino outfit and Daz Studio decided to cooperate. She has the Sheridan hair for G3F and Miriam's skin. I wish it had looked as good as Reese, oh well.

PrettyMiriam.png
    1600 x 2635 - 6M
    edited April 2018

Inspired by this thread, I decided to render Amy AiMei for G8F, a freebie morph by amyaimei over at deviantart. For the sake of irony, I used Aiko 8's textures on Amy for these two renders.

Amy has the same pose as the previous render of Pretty Base. It's from Z Sweetie Pie - Poses & Expressions for Sakura 8 and Genesis 8 Female. Reese's pose from his render is also from there. XD Unlike many other pose sets, I find these all incredibly useful for my own simple needs. The Sakura 8 Pro Bundle is great!

AmyDarkStorm.png
    850 x 933 - 958K
    AmyBardot.png
    850 x 1100 - 970K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Because of the free bundle incentive, (where you get one of them free if you buy a new release and a still new release), I caved in and got Minto and Ronen. All because I wanted the Cuban Diabolo for Genesis shoes that only come in the Classics Bundle for Genesis...which I have downloaded but not rendered anything with them yet. I've wanted these shoes for so long.. 

Anyway, I decided to render Ronen first. Obviously, the first thought that came to mind, upon seeing this well-built G8M who is perfectly at home in all sorts of fantasies, was "How would Ronen look like wearing that big baggy sweater that comes with Minto?" So I decided to do just that. And since I owe y'all a nice completed render, I decided to have Minto join him.

I still don't know why this outdoor HDR renders green. Originally they were going to wear matching yellow sweaters but it looked too bright in the lights and it was easier to go with green. The ground prop is from an item that is unavailable for sale anywhere as far as I know. And yes, this render was edited in GIMP, I played around with the colors and tried to make them pop out some more. I'm actually really pleased with this Iray render. I think it looks nice and I accomplished what I wanted to do and that was making Ronan look like a regular guy. I'm pretty sure this is one of the reasons that no one suspects Clark Kent of being Superman. He looks like some big awkward cute nerd. XD

*EDIT: DAZ Galleries link [x]!

With this one and the previous one it looks like you are using Finite Sphere with Visualize Finite Dome set to ON which colourises the dome with colours which will show up in the render and any view set to Iray.

edited April 2018
    Fishtales said:

<snip>

I still don't know why this outdoor HDR renders green. Originally they were going to wear matching yellow sweaters but it looked too bright in the lights and it was easier to go with green. The ground prop is from an item that is unavailable for sale anywhere as far as I know. And yes, this render was edited in GIMP, I played around with the colors and tried to make them pop out some more. I'm actually really pleased with this Iray render. I think it looks nice and I accomplished what I wanted to do and that was making Ronan look like a regular guy. I'm pretty sure this is one of the reasons that no one suspects Clark Kent of being Superman. He looks like some big awkward cute nerd. XD

With this one and the previous one it looks like you are using Finite Sphere with Visualize Finite Dome set to ON which colourises the dome with colours which will show up in the render and any view set to Iray.

I wanted the dome to appear as the background, I thought turning it off would make them appear with a transparent background. But a couple of days ago, I stumbled upon a thread were someone was asking about tone mapping and white point. With changing the white point, I was able to reduce much of the unwanted tints in other renders. Not sure if that was the best approach to solve the problem.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

I missed a bit. You have to turn Visualize Dome to OFF before rendering as the colours are only a guide to see the Finite Dome it doesn't turn the dome background off.

@Fishtales Thank you for the explanation. :)

IDK what's going on with Daz Studio but it kept crashing when I tried to autofit the top from dForce Yoshino Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s) onto this G8M character. (An OC/muse character named Reese, who I'd normally draw.) Instead I had to use another dForce top and try again (this time, no crashing.) The top I used was from dForce Onyx Goth Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s), except I used the red velvet iray shader but made pink on the transparent mesh parts and inside of the hoodie to change it up a bit. The skin is actually from Vini for Genesis 8 Male, but due to this HDR and my postworking, it's barely recognizable except for the brows. His jeans are from the Smooth Talker Outfirt for Genesis 8 Male(s). The HDR background was a freebie meant for Star 2.0 found here

The character is based on Darius 8 but with the DO head morphs and RareStone's morphs mixed in. I can't exactly re-make his body to my taste, I would need Zev0's Shapeshift morphs for that. I used Hellboy's lashes utilities too since I felt his lashes needed to be thicker/prettiier. His spiky bracelet is from RebelGirl - Outfit V4 by digiPixel from Renderosity but with the "cast iron" default iray shader applied to it. That shader was also applied to the jacket's metallic accents too.

Love this!

@IceDragonArt Thank you!
    edited April 2018

Here is Reese again, but with the actual skin tone I like for him, which comes from Kimo 7. (D-force tore up his pants, so I had to do some postwork.)

In that previous "glamour" render, I had to use a lighter skin tone, since it I couldnt figure out how to make it look good. So yeah, he got whitewashed, unfortunately. Ideally, a skin tone between Kimo 7 and Vini would've been ideal for him in that render. I have the late DraagonStorm's Skin Blender wishlisted, but IDK if it would work out with Iray. 

Untitled.jpg
    925 x 1200 - 289K
    edited April 2018

A tiny vent post (it's my thread, so I can), but I get confused by the way some people talk about postwork. All it is, is photo-editing; cleaning up poke-through or lose hair strands at its most basic level. The more advanced level is mixed media -- "photo" manipulation and actual painting. A good example of the former is IgnisSerpentus' product images at her store. This is art. That's the whole point of doing postwork, you're just working with everything you've got to create art. So obviously, as an artist, I don't see it as bad or negative.

It's like me digitally coloring my pencil drawings, like in this drawing I'm working on and horribly procrastinating on it. This was done in pencil and edited heavily with GIMP. Does that make it less artistic?

Of course not. But then, I think the problem is that people who don't like postwork seem to approach it from a programmer's perspective. So if it cannot be achieved with the program itself it's like false advertising and cheating. Then there's the newbies who are also approaching DS from a similar technical standpoint and think that postwork is like something that can be achieved with the best brushes and Photoshop actions. The truth is that you have to learn how to paint and create decent composition, which are totally different things but they can be applied to any type of art. 

Somewhat related, but I draw way too toony for me to actually mix something I draw with a DS render. Sure I have been using quick renders as drawing references but it doesn't seem like it would fit with this type of mixed media. I can't even get DS characters to look like the toon people I draw (especially the males.) I'd instantly buy a male character who looks just like this. Just his face, at least.

Untitled.jpg
    600 x 458 - 125K
    edited April 2018

Oops. I almost forgot these two gag renders I did earlier with Reese and a modified Olympia 8. I love G8F's expressions because I can make them look silly but not weird, like in previous Genesis models.

And yes, I turned off "visualize dome" so everything looks normal, except for the shiny bikini. XD

JokePost1.png
    956 x 1050 - 1M
    JokePost2.png
    956 x 1050 - 1M
    edited April 2018

Another WIP. I want a different texture for the Bardot Outfit that's part of the G8F starter essentials. Character is a mix of shapes + Stephanie 8's skin.

This is the diffuse texture only, created in Sculptris, MS Paint, and GIMP. I just need to do the actual fabric and a dffferent lace transparency. There's a specific reason why I'm using Barbie Pink, and that's because I want the Bardot Outfit to look similar this Mexican-inspired Barbie doll's outfit. (Though I may just keep it pink, black, and white. It seems simple-enough.)

I had contemplated basing it on this other Barbie dress, but it's a bit more complex.

Also, do any of y'all know of any other Bardot Outfit textures? I was looking for some and I couldn't find any, hence the reason I'm trying to attempt to make my own. 

BarbieBardotWIP.png
    850 x 1400 - 1M
    edited April 2018

Today, I tried to recreate myself in G8F. And yes, I matched it up with what the FaceGen artist trial generated that I had posted about previously. The actual base is 14% Monique 8 head and 41% Olympia 8 head. Then I used a mix of RareStone's morphs and the Daz Originals G8F head morphs to tweak it. (Mostly nose, cheek, and bow morphs.) The problem I had with the FaceGen one was that when I had GenX'ed it to G3F the face looked cross-eyed. (It's slightly apparent in the link to the previous post where I had rendered it. But then, I used eye-posing controls to correct it.) In fact, this G8F morph is much more accurate than the FaceGen one, with the exeption of the nose though I still might need to tweak the nose flesh a bit.

Here I did a quick render, still using Joanna's textures for the character. As for the outfit, the top come from Harpoon Girl Outfit for Genesis 2 Female(s), the pants and earrings are from Looking Back Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s), and finally the hair is from Miranda Hair for Genesis 3 & 8 Female(s). (Personally, the Pascale Hair by AprilYSH would look like my actual hair since it's of similar length but the curls look looser and probably more similar to the Karissa Hair. But whatever, with this G8F avatar I can have whatever hair is in my Product Library. XD) As for the clothing shaders, they are a freebie set (Shimmery Sheer II Shader Presets for Iray by AllenArt over at ShareCG) and the leather + metal default Iray shaders. 

The lights and HDR come from the Aurous Iray Lights from the Egyptian MEGA Bundle and yes, I stopped this render at around 52% because I was impatient. XD

ShimmeryMe.jpg
    1000 x 1618 - 425K
    edited April 2018

Actually, the first experiment I did with the Aurous Iray Lights was this scene with my avatar wearing the Liquid Halo On Sky 16 for Genesis, with the default base Iray shader applied (and base texture changed to light gray instead of white.) The boots do have a smooth modifier applied to them because they had these ugly blockiness on the soles. For artistic purporses, I used Young Minto's skin with the yellow tint on my avatar, instead of the Joanna skin. The background HDR comes from FWSA Soft Light Probes, which was a past Christmas Freebie that's no longer available. (The little droid, Gumi, comes with the Liquid Halo On Sky 16 outfit.)

The body here isn't exactly like the previous render. I just saved the head shape and as long as the body is a small breasted pear-shape, it's close-enough. XD

Untitled.jpg
    850 x 1400 - 170K
    edited April 2018

Yeah, yesterday I caved and got the Egyptian MEGA Bundle – Characters, Outfits, Hair, Poses and Lights. Though I could've gotten them sooner but the problem was that my old laptop couldn't render in Iray, so the lights and characters were essentially useless to me. So I waited and finally got them. And yes, I like them a lot. The skins are great but I need to see how well the hair and outfits autofit to G8F. I need to get the male version too.

edited April 2018

By the way, I finally got around to rendering the Cuban Diabolo for Genesis. It's two shoes, the Cuban shoe (orange) and the Diabolo shoe (green), that only come in the Genesis Classics Bundle. I applied the Iray uber base shader to them and autofitted them to Olympia 8, which if you haven't already guessed, is my favorite of the core characters because I use her body shape a lot.

I think I should've added a smoothing modifier to the Diabolo shoes because they're too lumpy as is. :/

Oly8Cuban.png
    1000 x 618 - 648K
    Oly8Diabolo.png
    1000 x 618 - 622K

You look great!  And I like what you did with pink top with lace, its beautiful.  Can't say I have come across what you are looking for as I tend to only notice medieval and fantasy stuff lol.

As far as postwork goes, I am always confused as to what I should call what I do lol.  Technically, it is mixed media, and technically its also digital art.  Can I say it is photomanipulation?  I do use photo's in some of it.  So, I just use the generic 'postwork" and leave it at that lol.  I personally think that anything that will get me to the point of what I see in my head is fair game.

• amy_aimeiamy_aimei Posts: 139

@MimicMolly, thank you for using my morph.  Your renders are really good :)

Inspired by this thread, I decided to render Amy AiMei for G8F, a freebie morph by amyaimei over at deviantart. For the sake of irony, I used Aiko 8's textures on Amy for these two renders.

Amy has the same pose as the previous render of Pretty Base. It's from Z Sweetie Pie - Poses & Expressions for Sakura 8 and Genesis 8 Female. Reese's pose from his render is also from there. XD Unlike many other pose sets, I find these all incredibly useful for my own simple needs. The Sakura 8 Pro Bundle is great!

edited April 2018

@IceDragonArt Hopefully, we get a "cute and pretty" male toon base...or that a PA releases one. Though I'd be happy with a texture-less morph. I did find a freebie (male conversion of a female morph) though I'd like a face like Guy 7's or Hiro/Kenji.

I don't know how to classify my art. But as long as it looks great, that's all that matters. :)

@amy_aimei Thank you for creating such wonderful morphs. (>w<)

edited April 2018

I tried to make my character Biana in G8F. However, the challenge was starting from scratch since the original Biana relied on Victoria 5, Stephanie 5, and a character for S5 named Keira. While I could've matched her up to the original, I don't have all the morphs installed for her, so I had no choice but to wing it. What do you think? Was it close? Which one is prettier?

I used the Aiko 7 skin on the G8F version. I don't know how to adjust her skin to give her more color because she's not supposed to be pale.

BianaG8F.png
    860 x 944 - 936K
    edited April 2018

This was intended to be another normal render with Biana but wearing the dForce Muse Dress for Genesis 8 Female(s). I don't know what I did, but the dress exploded and I decided to render it like that because it's hilarious. Poor Biana, she just can't catch a break. X'D

I tried to do another render, but then DS crashed. Perhaps I'll try again another day, I suppose.

ExplodingMuse.png
    1000 x 1618 - 3M
    edited April 2018

I forgot to post this here, but yeah I got the Edie 8 Pro Bundle. (Along with Ninive 6 and Izabella 7.) Two Edies. The pink Edie has Aiko 7 skin too.

Edie8.jpg
    850 x 1100 - 503K
    edited April 2018

Finally, Edie 8 but with the G8F avatar. I admit, the one outfit that sold me on Edie 8 was the dForce Peasant Dress for Genesis 8 Female(s). Edie is wearing the dForce Mother Goose Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s).

This render was supposed to have those old karate movie vibes to it; where the main character (the avatar) seeks some old sage, out in the middle of nowhere, to help her train so she could defeat her enemies. I don't know if I pulled it off but that's what I had in mind when I set up the scene like this.

TrainingDay.png
    1050 x 1153 - 1M
    edited April 2018

I tried to render the Muse Dress for G8F. This time, I used the Fawna Hair for G3F and Aiko 7 skin with the diffuse color changed (base color, I think? I forget what it's called. XD) Originally, this was just with Biana, which I stopped at 58%. Then I switched the shape to Edie 8 and did some adjustments and some postwork for both.

I should've saved this scene, but then most of my renders are one-shot things. I'm not doing anything like visual novels with them. Not sure if its noticeable, but both have horizontal pupils, since deer and other herbivores like that have those types of eyes.

Untitled.jpg
    1200 x 971 - 331K