The Mac FAQ

Comments

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

Ah, I see. Thank you.

I want to ask about getting an iPhone and viruses. I use ClamX for the computer. I'm not sure if there is a ClamX for iPhones. What, if anything, should be used for iPhones?

• robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 777

inquire said:

I want to ask about getting an iPhone and viruses. I use ClamX for the computer. I'm not sure if there is a ClamX for iPhones. What, if anything, should be used for iPhones?

Apple iPhones are natively secure unless you have a jail-broken iPhone.

So, there's no need for 3rd-party anti-virus software on an iPhone. Just keep the iOS up-to-date, and only download from the official App Store and you will be safe.

More info from Apple...

"On iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, all apps are obtained from the App Store—and all apps are sandboxed—to provide the tightest controls As an additional control across platforms, sandboxing helps protect user data from unauthorized access by apps."
    SOURCE: https://support.apple.com/guide/security/app-security-overview-sec35dd877d0/web

Use the built-in privacy and security protections of iPhone:
    https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/use-built-in-privacy-and-security-protections-iph6e7d349d1/ios

However, if you do feel the need for a 3rd-Party app, you can try...

Avast Mobile Security for iOS:
    https://www.avast.com/en-us/free-ios-security
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/avast-security-photo-vault/id1276551855

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,777

After I updated to Monterrey and then reinstalled 'My DAZ 3D Content' to a new 8Tb external drive for my MacBook Pro M1 I was able to update the drive location on (now) 4.21.1.45, but not on 4.21.0.5. Each time I tried, the program froze. DAZ has been working on this and yesterday contacted me with a solution that might help someone else.

They asked me to uninstall Iray Geolocator SKU 36921 and then try adding the new content drive to the Content Directory Manager. I uninstalled it and also DAZ 4.21.0.5 and the reinstalled 4.21.0.5 and DIM identified the new drive and asked if I wanted to add it. I clicked yes. Then restarted the MBP just in case. Opened 4.21.0.5 and in the Content Directory Manager the new drive location was installed perfectly.

Appartently the issue had been addressed in the Betas (I have had 3 updates since we started working on this issue I think), and will be fixed when the next update to 4.21.0.5 is released. But until then, I wanted to pass on this fix to anyone who may run into to issue.

Mary

• Gday! Are there known issues with iMac 24 Ventura and DAZ?

I'm on a new iMac 24 running Ventura 13.4 and Daz is crashing on nearly every save via "command S"

All the crashes occur as soon as I press command S.

All I have in the scene is 1 figure usually... the scene is not data heavy.

Maybe 10% of the time I get lucky and the progress is saved but all day losing hours of progress for the most part.

Does Daz run better on a PC?

• 42snoopy4242snoopy42 Posts: 21

auroracrowley said:

Gday! Are there known issues with iMac 24 Ventura and DAZ?

I'm on a new iMac 24 running Ventura 13.4 and Daz is crashing on nearly every save via "command S"

Maybe 10% of the time I get lucky and the progress is saved but all day losing hours of progress for the most part.

There is an issue (bug) with command-s and has been present for a while now - not sure if it has ever been reported. Use menu->file->save

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

42snoopy42 said:

auroracrowley said:

There is an issue (bug) with command-s and has been present for a while now - not sure if it has ever been reported. Use menu->file->save

The same issue happens with command-r, use the menu option for render button in the palette. PCs generally render much faster if you're using iRay and have a decent amount of VRAM, but PCs have their own set of issues. Every new video driver update and/or DAZ update seems to have many members upgrading or downgrading their video driver, for example.

-- Walt Sterdan

• 42snoopy42 said:

auroracrowley said:

Is this different from the issue, fixed, that caused crashes with any cmd-letter shortcut? That was a while back.

Richard Haseltine said:

42snoopy42 said:

auroracrowley said:

Is this different from the issue, fixed, that caused crashes with any cmd-letter shortcut? That was a while back.

I know that I haven't been having any cmd-letter shortcut issues lately, but the original poster mentioned cmd-s crashing everytime and I thought it might be good to check with cmd-r as well. It's possible he may be using an older version of DAZ Studio if he copied his old programs over rather than reinstall everything.

-- Walt Sterdan

If anyone finds statistics on how well the new Mac Studio or the new Mac Pro runs DAZ Studio, please inform us and post them.

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,614

I downloaded 4.21 64-bit and installed on my 5,1 Mac Tower. What boots up is the 32-bit version with no Iray rendering option and not recognizing my Nvidia GPU. Does the 64-bit version not work on older Mac Towers?

• Had you had the previous version installed? Are you sure it was the 64-bit version you installed, and that it did install without error?

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,614

The last version I installed was 4.15....so been a while. And it was the 64 bit version downloaded. It's right there in the file name. It's a mystery as to why this opens as the 32 bit version.

Deke said:

The last version I installed was 4.15....so been a while. And it was the 64 bit version downloaded. It's right there in the file name. It's a mystery as to why this opens as the 32 bit version.

I'm not sure if you're launching it from your desktop or an alias that's pointing to the 32-bit version.
    If you haven't already, I'd try finding the 64-bit app in your applicatoins folder and launching it from there and see what happens.

-- Walt Sterdan

• I bought a new "Mac Studio M2 Ultra with 64g ram" VEntura everything is performing very nicely considering there are no Nvidia cards involved.  I'm doing tests, but I also installed Zbrush and was trying to do some fixes and unfortunately I'm having issues with GoZ.  I've uninstalled Daz and Goz and reinstalled them still with the same issue.  GoZ crashes and just says it unexpectendly quit.  Won't let me post the bug report inline.  So any thoughts would greatly help like if this is a known issue and so forth.

Thanks for the info on the Mac Studio. Any other news about the Mac Studio?

I have a MacBook Pro M1 and have learned to deal with near constant crashes (I don't have Zbrush so haven't tried a Bridge yet) but have learned to save like crazy, and dispair when I go to save initially and it goes poof! And during the previous Beta updates, one crash did something that caused all my fixes of Lost and Found and my sub-categories to be gone. I reported that two months ago, Tech Support just looking at it now. And another Beta update changed something so only one PA's HDRI's show up as magenta. That report is still being worked on by Tech Support since around January this year. 

It's finicky.

I stopped trying to save all the crash reports I get. But if I want to attach them to a Customer Service report, I copy them into Word, save as plain text. They haven't complained to me yet.

• Platnumk said:

future_boy_f2de9c36c5 said:

How do I give my Mac permissions to install helpers?  I recently updated my Mac OSX to Ventura, and tried to install Daz via DIM, but I get the error:  "Failed to install privileged helper: Error Domain=CFErrorDomainLaunchd Code=9 "(null)" 

Goto Settings - Security - Full Disk Access & add DIM to the list 

Hello. I added DIM and DAZ to all lists but it didn't help me((...  what else can i do? I am on os Catalina

edited September 2023

I downloaded the Brothers Air Print app from the Apple Store, in order to print from my iPhone. But there are fees associated with using it. Is there a free app that will let me Air Print from my iPhone to a Brothers printer? I posted this in Apple Communities also on the Apple site I posted it here because I thought someone might use an iPhone and know the answer to my question.

Post edited by inquire on
  • inquire said:

I downloaded the Brothers Air Print app from the Apple Store, in order to print from my iPhone. But there are fees associated with using it. Is there a free app that will let me Air Print from my iPhone to a Brothers printer? I posted this in Apple Communities also on the Apple site I posted it here because I thought someone might use an iPhone and know the answer to my question.

@inquire I use an Epson all-in-one printer that has built-in Wi-Fi. If your Brother printer has built-in WiFi, then you don't need an app. As long as your iPhone is on the same Wi-Fi network, just go to the SHARE icon on an app, such as Notes, Safari, etc. and then scroll down and select Print. NOTE: I am using iOS 16.6.1

@robertswww: Thank you very much for this informaton. It works!

• Hey, hey! 

I get this message when trying to update DIM:

"DAZ3DIM_1.4.1.62_Mac64” is damaged and can’t be opened"

Any ideas?

(ps, previous of version still working fine but the above message appears whenever I try and update)

• bevdog896_d08d9c913a said:

Hey, hey! 

Any ideas?

(ps, previous of version still working fine but the above message appears whenever I try and update)

Update: Recently read that when a message like this appears it could be down to an expired certificate or some such? 

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663
    edited September 2023

bevdog896_d08d9c913a said:

Hey, hey! 

Any ideas?

This is often a Gatekeeper issue

Open the Terminal & enter the following

sudo spctl --master-disable

and enter your password

This will then allow Gatekeeper to install files from anywhere,  After you have updated DIM enter the following into the Terminal

sudo spctl --master-enable 

and enter your password

Post edited by Platnumk on
  • Just a piece of infomation,  I can confirm that Daz seems to run fine on MacOS 14 Sonoma 

Thank you @Platnumk, I just found the update and came here to see if it was safe.

Mary

@Platnumk: You've so clever and knowledgable. I wish I had your knowledge.

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663
    edited September 2023

inquire said:

@Platnumk: You've so clever and knowledgable. I wish I had your knowledge.

LOL, Most of the stuff it just bits i've either picked up over the years or by asking the IT chaps at work.  And when I find a solution to a paticular problem I make a note of it so that I can alway refer back to it. 

Post edited by Platnumk on
  • Platnumk said:

bevdog896_d08d9c913a said:

Hey, hey! 

Any ideas?

This is often a Gatekeeper issue

Open the Terminal & enter the following

sudo spctl --master-disable

and enter your password

This will then allow Gatekeeper to install files from anywhere,  After you have updated DIM enter the following into the Terminal

sudo spctl --master-enable 

and enter your password

Thanks! I'll look into this :)

• I can also confirm that DAZ Studio 4.21.1.80 (Beta) appears to be working fine on macOS Sonoma (14.0).

I've just updated my M1 MacBook Air to Sonoma and DS 4.21.1.80.

After a bit more testing with it, I'll update my M1 iMac to Sonoma (the Mac I use for rendering) to make sure it's truly stable. :)

Lee