The Mac FAQ

Comments

• inquire said:

What's happening? I just ran into a couple of big problems with DAZ today. Here's the ticket I submitted to Technical Support: 

"I can log in to DAZ Studio. But if I try to log in to the DIM, it says the account can't be verified. I've put my password in a number of times. I do know my password. The DIM won't take it. Also, I tried to buy poses with PayPal. An email from PayPal says they paid "$27.99 to DAZ Productions Inc." But at the DAZ site, it says the transaction is taking a lot longer to process, and to contact support for assistance. I recently let my DAZ Plus membership lapse. Is that what is causing the trouble? But I thought I could still purchase products and log in to DIM in order to download products. I'm using a Macintosh computer with OS 12.7.2  (Monterey)."

Should I try to cancel the transaction through PayPal? I don't want to cancel it. But how long will it take Support to get onto this problem?

Also, this is the first time I haven't been able to log in with DIM. I am using the latest version of DIM.

DIM is currently unable to log in due to a server issue.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,538

inquire said:

What's happening? I just ran into a couple of big problems with DAZ today. Here's the ticket I submitted to Technical Support: 

"I can log in to DAZ Studio. But if I try to log in to the DIM, it says the account can't be verified. I've put my password in a number of times. I do know my password. The DIM won't take it. Also, I tried to buy poses with PayPal. An email from PayPal says they paid "$27.99 to DAZ Productions Inc." But at the DAZ site, it says the transaction is taking a lot longer to process, and to contact support for assistance. I recently let my DAZ Plus membership lapse. Is that what is causing the trouble? But I thought I could still purchase products and log in to DIM in order to download products. I'm using a Macintosh computer with OS 12.7.2  (Monterey)."

Should I try to cancel the transaction through PayPal? I don't want to cancel it. But how long will it take Support to get onto this problem?

Also, this is the first time I haven't been able to log in with DIM. I am using the latest version of DIM.

Same here so I guess some server hamsters ate too much Christmas nuts and took an extended nap

• @frank0314 says this DIM login issue has been reported here: 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8521916#Comment_8521916

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

Thanks for all the info. Apparently the order has been processed. I'm on my iPhone now, so I don't know if I can log into DIM yet.

I did look at the other forum where the DIM login issue has been discussed. so it only seems to happen to some people some of the time. I wonder why.

• ElorElor Posts: 728

If it's a server failure (an update gone wrong, an hardware faillure, an attack on the server, etc. because they are a lots of reasons for a server to malfunction), it's likely happening to everyone at the same time, but only the people who tried to log at that time will be victims of that server failure.

Thanks to all who explained this to me. All is working today. I got my product downloaded along with product updates.

edited December 2023

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Microsoft Copilot chat bot. I know this isn't about DAZ Studio, but Copilot is linked to AI image generating aps. Perhaps images or backgrounds can be used as a part of a DAZ Studio render, even if they are added in a Photoshop like ap. One of my questions: is it safe from viruses, Trojan Horses, and the like, to use an AI image generating ap that is recommended by Copilot on the iPhone? I'm assuming it's safe to use Microsoft Copilot on the iPhone, as I downloaded it from the Apple Ap Store. Am I correct in this assumption?

Anyway, here are three AI image generating aps that are recommended by Copilot. Each is free and can be used online. I  have not tried any of these.

In the attached file, the last remark about "I hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with" was generated by Copilot.

Free AI Image Generators.png
    640 x 1136 - 91K
    Post edited by inquire on
  • Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,152

Menus in Studio 4.22 still drive me nuts. Apart from the crashes my "script" menu won't save any custom actions I add to it.

Anyone else encountered something similar?

• Rod Wise Driggo said:

Menus in Studio 4.22 still drive me nuts. Apart from the crashes my "script" menu won't save any custom actions I add to it.

Anyone else encountered something similar?

Do other layout changes persist?

• Hello Mac friends,

Has any of you ever rolled back after an update? Version 4.22.0.15 is being a huge pain with 3Delight. When it decides not to play well with a geometry or textures, it gives me "this object/this skin goes all white" in a way that's impossible to deal with unless you try six or seven times to open your scene and render it.

If you ever did a roll back, what did you do to make it work?

Is anyone using the Face Transfer product? https://www.daz3d.com/face-transfer-2

If so, how do you rate it?

inquire said:

I'm assuming it's safe to use Microsoft Copilot on the iPhone, as I downloaded it from the Apple Ap Store. Am I correct in this assumption?

Apple's certification process is not perfect, but yes, I think you are safe if you are using an official Microsoft app downloaded from the App Store.

Elor said:

inquire said:

I'm assuming it's safe to use Microsoft Copilot on the iPhone, as I downloaded it from the Apple Ap Store. Am I correct in this assumption?

Apple's certification process is not perfect, but yes, I think you are safe if you are using an official Microsoft app downloaded from the App Store.

Will Microsoft be spying on me or tracking me? There must be some point in Microsoft's wanting me to get an account in order to use it. Actually, it can be used without signing in with an account, but the sessions are brief and you can't do some of the things without the account.

I think its a given that Microsoft is likely getting all data they can lawfully / contractually get while you are using one of their services:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365-copilot/microsoft-365-copilot-privacy

Any chance there's any Macintosh group in the San Francisco Bay area?

I'm looking at buying a Mac Studio, which has Thunderbolt 4. My Mac Pro has Thunderbolt 2. I can get a cable to connect the two so I can run Migration Assistant. 

Externally, I have 5 drives, two of which are Time Machine, two are home movies and pics, and one is a SuperDuper backup of the internal HD. (The home movies and pics are the same on each drive. I just wanted to be sure to preserve them.) The drives are LaCie drives.

There is one Thundrbolt 2 cable going from the Mac Pro to one of the external drives. All of the external drives are linked to each other with Thunderbolt 2 cables. They all show up on the desktop.

Now, should I be able to plug the Thunderbolt 4 to Thunderbolt 2 cable from the Mac Studio into one of the external drives, and have all  of the external drives show up on the Mac Studio's desktop?

I did call Apple Support about this, but the tech person was hesitant to give me a "Yes" answer as the LaCie drives are from a third party vendor. Does anyone know for sure? Has anyone tried this already?

If this is not possible, who might I contact to transfer the contents of one of the home movies and pics drives from a Thunderbolt 2 drive to a Thundrbolt 4 drive?

I'm hesitant to purchase until I know more.

edited January 22

Edit;
    Mixed FW with TB in my head. What will happen if you run TB4 and TB2 on the same channel is that it will lsow down the TB4. I have an TB2 -> TB3 converter and it slows down the other disks as well on  the same port.

Post edited by Totte on
    edited January 22

@Totte: thanks for answering, but I don't understand what my situation would be then.  Would I just not be able to use any of the thunderbolt two drives with a Mac studio? Is that what you're saying?
    if that is so what are the possibilities of having the drive with movies made at Home cloned and placed onto a thunderbolt 4 drive? Who would do that for me? Does Apple at the Genius Bar do any of that?

or is there a way of using a thunderbolt 2 to drive with the Mac studio? I don't really understand what you're saying.

Post edited by inquire on

inquire said:

Crossposted/Edited. See above 

Totte said:

Edit;
    Mixed FW with TB in my head. What will happen if you run TB4 and TB2 on the same channel is that it will lsow down the TB4. I have an TB2 -> TB3 converter and it slows down the other disks as well on  the same port.

oh yes, I realize it was slow it down. But if it works, then I could get a thunderbolt for drive, and I could cross the data over from the thunderbolt to drive to the thunderbolt for drive.

So you do think that the thunderbolt two drives will work on the Mac studio with a thunderbolt 42 thunderbolt two connecting cable?

inquire said:

Totte said:

Edit;

oh yes, I realize it was slow it down. But if it works, then I could get a thunderbolt for drive, and I could cross the data over from the thunderbolt to drive to the thunderbolt for drive.

So you do think that the thunderbolt two drives will work on the Mac studio with a thunderbolt 42 thunderbolt two connecting cable?

Ir really depends on the drives (as apple said). 

Well does anyone know if the LaCie Thunderbolt 2 drives will work with a Thunderbolt 4 Mac Studio if a thunderbolt 4 two thunderbolt 2 cable is used?

Please pardon the semantic goofiness. I'm using speech to text on my iPhone. I'm not at my Mac computer now. so this afternoon's comments have been done this way: speech to text.

• inquire said:

Well does anyone know if the LaCie Thunderbolt 2 drives will work with a Thunderbolt 4 Mac Studio if a thunderbolt 4 two thunderbolt 2 cable is used?

Maybe Siri will know?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,253

inquire said:

I could be wrong, but I think TB4 is only backward compatible to TB3.

edited January 23

Gordig said:

I could be wrong, but I think TB4 is only backward compatible to TB3.

On PC, yes, at least according to the official website.

Are Thunderbolt™ 4 PCs backwards compatible with Thunderbolt™, Thunderbolt™ 2, or Thunderbolt 3 based accessories?

Accessories built to Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 specifications are not supported by Thunderbolt 4 PCs.
    Accessories built to the Thunderbolt 3 specification are fully supported by Thunderbolt 4 PCs.

But I'm able to use my Apple Thunderbolt RJ-45 adapter on my current computer (Macbook Pro M1 Pro with, as far as I can tell, Thunderbolt 4 ports) by connecting it to an Apple Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 3 adapter (it makes for an ugly adapter, but it works just fine).

But I don't have any Lacie Thunderbolt 2 drive to check if it's will work correctly or not. I was not able to find more information on Lacie's website, so it would be best to contact their support team. Their contact page sent to Seagate's contact page:

https://www.seagate.com/contacts/

Post edited by Elor on

Well, if it isn't possible to go from thunderbolt four to thunderbolt two via some sort of connection, Is there a vendor who can copy a thunderbolt to drive onto a thunderbolt for drive? Who would I contact about that?

using speech to text from my iPhone 

Totte said:

Edit;

are you able to run an external thunderbolt 2 Drive on a Thunderbolt 4 Computer?

Are you using a thunderbolt 4 Thunderbolt 3 Connector along with A Thunderbolt 2 Adapter? Or what are you using?

Again, this is done using speech to text so sorry if there's any semantic goofiness

I'd hate to lose all the whole movies and pictures and artwork that I've saved up on my thunderbolt to drive. so I'm looking for a way to salvage that whether it means being able to connect a thunderbolt 2 drive two a thunderbolt 4 computer, or whether it means buying a thunderbolt for a drive and having some company or vendor copy the contents of the thunderbolt 2 drive onto a thunderbolt 4 drive for me. so can anyone give me any advice about this?
    again, using speech to text