Carrara CHALLENGE - Tomatoes et al #33 Chat Time

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Friday June 23rd , 2017

not time to panic

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

where does the time go!

Maybe you can do a V7/G4 render showing off her tomatoes in Carrara....  

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited June 2017

Very great work Folks!  All are looking very good and imaginative.

An update on my progress... not much.  Re-started by setting up CountryGal Monie in DS with hair, clothing and a pose... saved as scenesubset and loaded into Carrara.  Fine tuned the pose to look like I wanted... now trying to get shadows more pronounced.  I'm happy with positioning of character but hand looks awful large... might try backing off camera and then setting a zoom on it, just an idea.  Time to move on to modeling and loading in some text for the advert and a better looking yet kinda plain background.

Wonder if I should have used a blue backdrop or white since I would prefer to do everything in Carrara but blue will require post work... no big deal since I can do it easily by setting the blue as the transparent color.

For some odd reason the left eye was positioned wrong... pointed to a bit of a different direction than right eye, musta been in the pose file or when I added a few morph adjustments for the facial expression.

While the shaders have been consolidated I've not yet tweaked any yet... suspect that is the cause of lack of a good shadow look.  Oh well... this will do for now... gottsa work on other parts of scene.

Please feel free to point out any errors or make suggestions... won't hurt my feelings. :)

CountryGal_Monie_wGKTomato2.png
    640 x 480 - 89K
    CountryGal_Monie_cam1.png
    1366 x 768 - 292K
    CountryGal_Monie_setup.png
    1366 x 768 - 190K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Nice work, wgdjohn.

RE: the eye inconsistency issue - recommend applying the point at modifier to both eyes.  Just remember to set the axis.  Can point at the camera, or wherever want.

Diomede said:

RE: the eye inconsistency issue - recommend applying the point at modifier to both eyes.  Just remember to set the axis.  Can point at the camera, or wherever want.

Thought about point at after making adjustment.  What do you mean by "set the axis"?  Axis of the camera?  Thought I could just add a target helper since may not want eyes pointing directly at camera in all cases... 'cept this one.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

I just meant that the modifier for "point at" then has choices for which axis of the object (in this case the eye) will point at the target.  And each axis chice has a + or - option for the top or the bottom pointing at the target.  Here, the penguin's hip is pointing at the sphere by using the y axis with + selected

ss01 point at.JPG
    1485 x 893 - 115K

no one done a hairy tomato yet?

green hair... anyone?

Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees
    Give a home to the fleas in my hair
    A home for fleas, (yeah) a hive to bees, (yeah) a nest for birds
    There ain't no words for the beauty, the splendor, the wonder of my
    Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
    Flow it, show it, long as God can grow it, my hair

Bothered me that tomato had mouth, teeth and tongue... so I made a simple eyeball and duplicated, today.  Set up a few shader domains for various parts... the white, whatever it's called, the iris, small pupil and large pupil.  Also I have a vertex wall created to use as background... now to model a tomato crate and think of what text... gotta have a faux brand name with a catch frase beneath it above the tomato crate.

Last night I experimented with changing the color of the blouse using Add in shader room... the only texture file colour it has is white... might wander off and add some other texture colours.

CountryGal_Monie_wGKTomato4.png
    640 x 480 - 89K

Nearly have it done.

CountryGal_Monie_wGKTomato5.png
    640 x 480 - 255K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

hot damn, now where di d you get the phantom costume? I  had to jerryrig mine

wgdjohn said:

Nearly have it done.

nice, it's come a longway - and made me laugh when I saw it big!

head wax said:

hot damn, now where di d you get the phantom costume? I  had to jerryrig mine

retextured the Lorez Masked Hero  yes

ahahaha thanks :)

Sorry just saw your wonderfulous image in the NPR thread ! Yep, I took some stuff and painted alpha maps on it, lots of fun ... 

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited June 2017

Portrait of a Tomato Can

Note to mods - if this violates TOS, please let me know.  When I went back to check this post, the image above was missing, but the smaller one was still there.  I wondered if mods had removed it, of if I had simply loaded it but forgot to press "SAVE COMMENT.  So, I reloaded it.  Not trying to be difficult.  I'm just not sure what happened.

In boxing parlance, a "tomato can" is an a fighter (usually a heavyweight) who is considered relatively easy to beat.  Because these fighters are slower, have a "glass jaw", or cut easily (causing the bout to eventually be stopped because of excessive bleeding), they get scheduled for championship matches to give the current champion an easy payday.  But these fighters often have guts and determination, so the fight may not be as easy as the champion thinks. 

Genesis figure, boxing ring constructed of primitives in Carrara, Carrara render, Photoshop and Gimp filters, some further NPR tweaking.  "Beauty pass" was with ambient at 100%!  Thanks to HW for suggestion to experiment with it.

Portrait of a Tomato Can.png
    1200 x 693 - 1M
    Portrait WIP.PNG
    1000 x 455 - 293K
    Portrait beauty pass.png
    1000 x 578 - 363K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

i'm kinda liking how the light model is looking on this mato!

if i can't finish a hairy one in time for Friday, i'll enter this one.

friday night is a hard deadline, don't get home from the dayjob til 7pm-ish.  not settled in my command chair til 8:30-ish.  of course one might argue, don't wait for the laaaast minute. had a frikkin month  lol

ch 33 tomato - kinda likin this so far.JPG
    1222 x 492 - 93K
    Ch 33 lucious tomato.png
    1500 x 954 - 1M
    Ch 33 lucious tomato1.png
    1500 x 954 - 1M

Kewl render... thanks for the shader example...Wow...never thought of putting anything other than a # Value in either shininess or highlight

BTW:  What is in the jar whith the gold spoon?

is the sugar bowl from Maclean's tea set smiley  tweaked the shaders on the tea set.

hairmato - hairiness of tomato.  zesty!

ch 33 pre-render.JPG
    1245 x 601 - 191K
    ch 33 hairset 1.JPG
    801 x 467 - 76K
    ch 33 hairset 2.JPG
    1042 x 601 - 139K
    ch 33 hairset 3.JPG
    835 x 574 - 110K
    ch33 HairMato.png
    1000 x 636 - 731K

oh is a whole 'nother week.  prone to panic i guess lol

have a couple more ideas.

wasnt there a tomato hunt in FinalFantasyXii ?

rogue tomato?

gotta run for the bus  cyooz on the other side

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I've added a bit to what started as an attempt at photorealism with a tomato - I have added the other half of the cut tomato, some pools of juice and a knife - under the title "The First Cut Is The Deepest"!  I'll post the final render in the entry thread. Everything was modelled and textured in Carrara and rendered with Octane Render for Carrara.

Screenshot 2017-06-15 00.09.10.png
    1920 x 1080 - 999K

awesome WiPs  guys/gals

another week to go Misty... don't panic... yet laugh

I think I'll have some tomato toasties for lunch... this is making me feel hungry smiley

Portrait of a Tomato Can

Note to mods - if this violates TOS, please let me know.  When I went back to check this post, the image above was missing, but the smaller one was still there.  I wondered if mods had removed it, of if I had simply loaded it but forgot to press "SAVE COMMENT.  So, I reloaded it.  Not trying to be difficult.  I'm just not sure what happened.

In boxing parlance, a "tomato can" is an a fighter (usually a heavyweight) who is considered relatively easy to beat.  Because these fighters are slower, have a "glass jaw", or cut easily (causing the bout to eventually be stopped because of excessive bleeding), they get scheduled for championship matches to give the current champion an easy payday.  But these fighters often have guts and determination, so the fight may not be as easy as the champion thinks. 

Genesis figure, boxing ring constructed of primitives in Carrara, Carrara render, Photoshop and Gimp filters, some further NPR tweaking.  "Beauty pass" was with ambient at 100%!  Thanks to HW for suggestion to experiment with it.

nicework, great to see the renders and the finished work , good to be brave with the ambient - it gives a totally different effect and starts removing a little of the cg look ;)

Mistara said:

i'm kinda liking how the light model is looking on this mato!

if i can't finish a hairy one in time for Friday, i'll enter this one.

friday night is a hard deadline, don't get home from the dayjob til 7pm-ish.  not settled in my command chair til 8:30-ish.  of course one might argue, don't wait for the laaaast minute. had a frikkin month  lol

well the tomato is singing, watch out I'm a tomato - I think it's working very well, the tea set looks superb in situ

PhilW said:

I've added a bit to what started as an attempt at photorealism with a tomato - I have added the other half of the cut tomato, some pools of juice and a knife - under the title "The First Cut Is The Deepest"!  I'll post the final render in the entry thread. Everything was modelled and textured in Carrara and rendered with Octane Render for Carrara.

well even though I just had lunch when I saw your entry I started salivating - and reaching for the salt ;)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited June 2017

Kinda doodling here. I need to add some soldiers, tweak the textures, sort out the lighting etc

GKDantas killer tomato, but everything else modelled by me. Scene and initial test render.

Guantomato1.jpg
    960 x 600 - 308K
    Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 11.25.08.png
    1676 x 994 - 1001K
    Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 10.51.59.png
    1404 x 881 - 1M
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Kinda doodling here. I need to add some soldiers, tweak the textures, sort out the lighting etc

GKDantas killer tomato, but everything else modelled by me. Scene and initial test render.

HaHa!  Looking forward to the finished render. yes