Carrara CHALLENGE - Tomatoes et al #33 Chat Time

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    Diomede said:
    @wgdjohn - very impressed with the line art, especially the bangs.  Which hair is that?

Hair is Birthday Girl Hair for Genesis 2 Female(s) by goldtassel, a fav PA for hair and has improved a lot since V3/V4 hair days.  I'm hopping over to your thread as to loading figure, clothing and pose via Carrara.  Last night I discovered that the file size for the the file was was a whopping 880+= mb... after deleting shoes which aren't seen in my idea the size was still around 750+- mb. Sooo today I'm starting over from scratch.  Trying first G2F, clothing and pose if that doesn't get size down will use 3DUniverse Toon from last challenge which was only 100+- mb total.  Note all are external when saved... all duplicate shaders combined, not used deleted... unused objs removed.  For a comparison I saved my shaded primitive background... it was 4k... so perhaps the clothing or hair is making it so huge.  Didn't get anything more done to the scene yesterday... Carrara spent too much time in (Not Responding) land.

Sonja,  You will be missed... looking forward to you next Carrara art.  How lucky you are in not spending months of prep for the Happy Occasion. Please sent my congrats to the happy couple. crying  <-- I'd likely be crying at their wedding.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    Diomede said:
    Stezza, your characters are always spot on - would have recognized as Harry even without the titles.

I agree.  Stezza, what is your process for creating such recognizable characters?

I guess I just take what features are recognisable and use that..

With Harry I used that principal... My idea was the glasses and hair mainly then maybe the undone tie and wand would do it... I used G2 but only used a youth morph on his face and then hopefully the other parts will make you think Harry... Probably the glasses would be the thing to do it the most...

Like the hair in my Supweme Wuler plus a bit of extra weight could make one think of someone from up North, though I did model a face morph on him in Carrara then applied it using the DS plugin for Carrara cool

awesome WiPs still being posted... it's so enjoyable to scroll through the nights posts to see what has been done next... yes

Good luck with the wedding IDA smiley

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    wgdjohn said:

Wow... can't belive I did anything right... load time has been reduced to less than 15 min as opposed to 1+- hr, still not fast enough tho. Haven't re-tested save time yet.

Note to all that posing in Carrara is a lot easier, IMO, than in DS... probably since I'm more familiar with Carrara's interface/tools.

Since the file loaded more quickly I decided to play... here are 2 Toon! Pro renders.  Neither are quite good enough on their own but with either and the PR render I could combine them... or at least give it a go... most problem is the eyes and mouth.  I'm headed off to make a model or more for the scene at the moment... and of course decide on an already modeled Tomato.  Oh... I've decided to make this billboard sized to allow text and model. I'm planning on rendering at 3 or 4 times the original size and then stepping back down to twice the size of original to see if that improves the quality, sharpness... hey... I like to experiment. :)

nice work thanks for the toon pro guide too, should post it bigger! You can also add a Coverage pass as well as sometimes that adds detail that toonpro misses.

it's pretty easy to fix up the eylashes in post as well for toonpro if you dont want to make them dissaper in the vertex room (or shader room ...?)

Revenge of the Red Baron

All images composed entirely in Carrara, with captions and panels added in Comic Life.

this is terrific, really lots of action and well designed

Bunyip02 said:

2 Red Dragons

love the dragon on the right in particular

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza said:

poor tomatoes! Creeched again!

ha ha for an Australian you have a good sense of humour ;) yes my might reached out to Creech when I saw the new offering. what goes around, comes around.

Diomede said:

Ice Dragon Art - Enjoy your wonderful family events.  Family weddings have been welcome news on the forum recently, with Dart et al.  Good stuff.

Earth vs the Flying Tomatoes will be developed more and then entered.  Here is another progress check.  The poster will have tomato saucers, tomato robots, a burning city, and of course the hero and heroine looking in the distance.  Here is the original poster and a few of the models in their current state - no shaders yet.

great to see your line of thought, rnearly spilt my coffee when I saw the alien

thanks it's very story book!

edited June 2017
    head wax said:
    wgdjohn said:

Wow... can't belive I did anything right... load time has been reduced to less than 15 min as opposed to 1+- hr, still not fast enough tho. Haven't re-tested save time yet.

Note to all that posing in Carrara is a lot easier, IMO, than in DS... probably since I'm more familiar with Carrara's interface/tools.

Since the file loaded more quickly I decided to play... here are 2 Toon! Pro renders.  Neither are quite good enough on their own but with either and the PR render I could combine them... or at least give it a go... most problem is the eyes and mouth.  I'm headed off to make a model or more for the scene at the moment... and of course decide on an already modeled Tomato.  Oh... I've decided to make this billboard sized to allow text and model. I'm planning on rendering at 3 or 4 times the original size and then stepping back down to twice the size of original to see if that improves the quality, sharpness... hey... I like to experiment. :)

nice work thanks for the toon pro guide too, should post it bigger! You can also add a Coverage pass as well as sometimes that adds detail that toonpro misses.

it's pretty easy to fix up the eylashes in post as well for toonpro if you dont want to make them dissaper in the vertex room (or shader room ...?)

TY headwax,  What do you mean by "post it bigger", full screen?  Where can I find this Coverage pass you speak of... can't find it listed in PR or Toon! Pro... unless it is under Output "Add Multi-Pass Layers" then "Fragment/Fragment Coverage"... I've never added anything at all... will that add to the render or produce another(multiple) render(s), more than one?

Wonder what my invisible shader might produce??... hmmm.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited June 2017

yes I meant as a bigger image in your post so people see it :)

coverage pass is in the section where you pick different passes in the render room - must be c alled fragment coverage sorry :)

render in png and it won;t automatically select 'embed' for you.

that way you will have a separate png to play with.

interested to see what you come up with !

cheers

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited June 2017

5 Red Dragons - now complete.

Dragon Red 3 Topaz 800.png
    800 x 600 - 1002K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

wow that looks like a winner of an image - the glow is also superb

head wax said:

Replaced it with the full screen grab, added short comment and a minor adjustment to location of Color picker window which I wasn't happy about until the deed had been done.

edited June 2017
    head wax said:

Thanks Headwax. Continuing the Red Dragon Red Sunset theme.

Red Dragon Sunset 1 Topaz 800.png
    800 x 450 - 685K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Bunyip02 said:

5 Red Dragons - now complete.

NICE!

Stezza said:
    Like the hair in my Supweme Wuler plus a bit of extra weight could make one think of someone from up North, though I did model a face morph on him in Carrara then applied it using the DS plugin for Carrara cool

Thanks Stezza, I understood your earlier comments, but not this one.  So, when you create a morph in the Carrara model room, you have to apply it using a DS plugin?

edited June 2017

UB, I use DS to export the genesis mesh in OBJ then import that mesh into Carrara, go into the modelling room and do your thing with it then export the mesh from Carrara as obj with new name and then reload into DS using morph loader to create a new Genesis morph and save...

in this case I made a new morph for Genesis called Supreme Leader.

then when I load genesis in Carrara I can apply my morph like any other morph...

morphing.jpg
    1536 x 840 - 124K
    suplead.jpg
    1027 x 802 - 103K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    wgdjohn said:
    head wax said:

Replaced it with the full screen grab, added short comment and a minor adjustment to location of Color picker window which I wasn't happy about until the deed had been done.

thumbs up yes

Bunyip02 said:
    head wax said:

Thanks Headwax. Continuing the Red Dragon Red Sunset theme.

the atmopshere in this makes it much more mysterious

Stezza said:

UB, I use DS to export the genesis mesh in OBJ then import that mesh into Carrara, go into the modelling room and do your thing with it then export the mesh from Carrara as obj with new name and then reload into DS using morph loader to create a new Genesis morph and save...

in this case I made a new morph for Genesis called Supweme Wuler .

then when I load genesis in Carrara I can apply my morph like any other morph...

OK, thank you Stezza, for giving me the gist of it.  I suspect that to old hands here, this is basic stuff.  Are there any tutorials available for this process?  If nothing immediately comes to mind, then don't sweat it.  I have plenty of tomatoes on my plate already, and can revisit later.

edited June 2017

No probs... I think @Diomede has posted somewhere in the board the how to do it... may take me a while to find it..

there is also a youTube tute on the process as well.. I added some screen captures just now to my original post above to show the basics. yes

edited to add:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2372291/#Comment_2372291

this will get you started just use Carrara instead  of Blender.. unless you use blender which I don't..

Post edited by Stezza on
    edited June 2017

Tommy Grenadier

Tommy Grenadier.jpg
    640 x 480 - 306K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    Stezza said:
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2372291/#Comment_2372291

this will get you started just use Carrara instead  of Blender.. unless you use blender which I don't..

Thanks Stezza!  Even I could follow that one.yes

Great grenadier!

edited June 2017

Tomato for tea.

Tomato for Tea Topaz 800.png
    800 x 501 - 914K
    edited June 2017

Updated

Tomato for Tea 2 Topaz 800.png
    800 x 501 - 935K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited June 2017

.Daz rabbit character and 3DUniverse Gramps at the lunch time rush.

killer tomato food truck gramps.jpg
    1800 x 1350 - 217K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    Diomede said:

.Daz rabbit character and 3DUniverse Gramps at the lunch time rush.

Yummy - nice find !!!!!!

I wonder what gramps is really doing!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited June 2017

invasion of the tomato snatchers, smiley  if only i had peas pod prop  lol
    the tomato from the MHE: vegetables

been fussing with subsurfacescattering for a juicy tomato, not really close yet.
    i didn't know how to use an image in the sss channel,
    but i pasted the texture map over sss and it took!

looks more like an apple skin at the moment. (doh)
    clueless on the lighting models. this is with anistropic
    hopefully will learn new still life lighting skills from this challenge smiley

tomato01.png
    640 x 480 - 112K
    tomato001.JPG
    1195 x 681 - 152K
    tomato001a.JPG
    975 x 506 - 81K
    Post edited by Mistara on