Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited June 2013

Horo said:
    Well, it may well be that the mesh itself does also contribute. The renders with the colourful "Jameseses" above was made with the camera looking north as in the dragon example at top left, the second best position. Below, I redid the render putting the camera looking right to left and adjusting the sun and the chaps accordingly. In this case, this is not a the best camera looking angle.

True - that will be the case because of using parametric mapping mode. The mapping mode is geometry dependent. There are other ways of approaching this. Lots to test!

Edit - quick example. By inverting the function and using it to (over) drive metalicity - with just specular and RGB diffuse 255, 252 and 250 the following effect is obtained. Notice how to get anything other than black, metalicity effect (alpha scaled) has to be set very low to cope with the huge value coming out of the alpha channel.

Orange_spec_met_dragon1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 321K
    Image1.jpg
    670 x 553 - 116K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited June 2013

I deal with sunsets lately. Hope you like it a bit... Pure Bryce BTW

sunset_with_island_var4.png
    1300 x 678 - 1M
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited December 1969

I deal with sunsets lately. Hope you like it a bit... Pure Bryce BTW

I like it a lot! Beautiful sunset, great colour choices and spot on composition. Super!

edited June 2013

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - very high power ambient recipe - by David Brinnen

As I explain in the description "A Bryce 7.1 Pro tutorial aimed at advanced users. Essentially if you don't yet know what the limitations of the ambient channel are, you are probably not ready to watch this tutorial, it's as simple as that."

If you are using TA rendering, in any capacity, then this tutorial might prove useful.

Edit. And something else using these high power functions.

White_outline3.jpg
    700 x 350 - 55K
    Very_high_power_ambient1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 115K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Excellent Video David!!!

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited June 2013

Combine this negative ambient with transparency and we might end up producing something similar to SSS.

Sorry, I meant to say translucency not transparency. When I have time I'm going to set up a material with the settings I use for the leaves and try this negative ambient on top of it. I feel almost certain it will work though it might be a slower render process.

Post edited by Rashad Carter on
    edited June 2013

Combine this negative ambient with transparency and we might end up producing something similar to SSS.

Interesting idea. To act as a way of absorbing the rays? Hmn... what is missing is a way to respond to distance and angle the ray travels. Still, that's not to say something might not be done. It is still early days with this. I'm running calibration tests right now to see what constitutes a -100 to offset full standard value 100. If this can be done accurately then there is the potential for another shadow capture method.

Edit. Here 100 spec with full halo is balanced exactly against neg ambient on red transparent with white diffuse over the top. May not look like much but this is very close to what is needed for shadow capture.

Edit edit - final calibration complete, render time in under 10 seconds with negative ambient shadow capture.

Neg_ambient_shadow_capture1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 322K
    Calibarted_neg_amb_response2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 368K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - very nice, even the usually notoriously problematic Bryce clouds came out extellent. This is a great render as simple as it may look.

@David - looking interesting. I'm still busy otherwise. the idea of shadow capture has occured to me too, but I haven't had the time to experiment with. Very cool.

edited June 2013

Horo said:
    @electro-elvis - very nice, even the usually notoriously problematic Bryce clouds came out extellent. This is a great render as simple as it may look.

@David - looking interesting. I'm still busy otherwise. the idea of shadow capture has occured to me too, but I haven't had the time to experiment with. Very cool.

This function has opened up many possible effects and solutions to different problems, I hardly know what to test and document next.

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - high energy gel light and hue shift trick - by David Brinnen

Hue_shift_trick2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 139K
    edited June 2013

Here something I've worked on today. Toon shaded, diagonal hatched and contour enhanced lines (CEL) plus a frame all in one. Renders in a few seconds.

Island02.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 327K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • bjorn.lovollbjorn.lovoll Posts: 29
    edited June 2013

Some low poly fun.
    The foreground ship is largely unchanged from 2005. I made it for a game, which is why the rigging is faked as it was never supposed to be seen in this scale. The only change I made was to add some Bryce primitives for the lifeboat rigging.
    I did not exactly follow the golden ratio, but I added some extra gold color instead :P
    The only bit of texturing which is not Bryce procedurals are the flags.
    In looking at the image again, I guess the background schooner was a mistake as the scale seems off.

RolfKrake_Splash4.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 985K
    Post edited by bjorn.lovoll on
    edited December 1969

The model looks really good. Nice to see you back Bjorn.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

Electro-elvis – beautiful sunset

Bjornlo – nice render –I don’t have much luck with landscapes/seascapes etc

The new videos look interesting. As you mentioned very few understand the theory behind some of your videos and I am one of those, but I really enjoy doing them. Thanks David.

The toon shaded hatched effects are really looking awesome, awaiting patiently for a tut on that. ;)

I worked on the lighting in the lake scene I posted previously. David suggested it could do with more light.

I increased the Hdri effect and the Disk intensity. And I also increased the diffuse sun intensity. In the second one I changed the sun position.

It’s really a balancing act between the lighting and the material, any more light and the material of the mountain looks terrible. I tried premium render but the results were not so good.

These are the two renders I like after trying different options.

lake3.jpg
    900 x 450 - 46K
    lake2.jpg
    900 x 450 - 46K
    edited December 1969

Are you sure there is no ambient for the far mountain material? It ought to have more contrast. The material looks very good, it just misses contrast. But then, it might be the effect of the haze. Foreground is another matter. The sun will not give them enough light so you'll have to increase the HDRI Effect. The montain in the distance will get too bright, reduce diffuse on its material to balance the brighter ambient light from the HDRI.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

Thank you David, Horo and mermaid10 for your kind comments.

@David: Thank for the tutorials. I am afraid I had not the time to watch them, but I will surely do it.

@Horo: Interesting effect. As a comic fan, I especially like the black contour lines. I hope, you are making a tutorial

@BjornLo: Great modelling.

@mermaid10: Your scene looks well. I like the texture of the background mountains. If I had to change something, I would reduce the sun glow so that the sun looks like its reflection in the water.

edited December 1969

Thank you, electro-elvis. David and I are both working on this and though it already gives nice results, we're looking for yet simpler methods. The render was made with yesterdays method, today I've been experimenting with a new one. Bryce is the proverbial bottomless pit as far as possibilities are concerned.

edited June 2013

Mermaid, you can always post me if you find you can't get the effect you are after. Provided the source files are <10 mb, I can adjust and send back no problem.</p>

Another day, another approach, another test.

Edit and here's a test relating to the new high negative/positive function that has featured in my last three videos. As I anticipated, this function can be used to drive a lot of new and unusual effects in Bryce. Possibly it will take weeks if not months to uncover them all. But this one uses boosted metalicity balanced against negative specular as well as anisotrophy to spread the effect around. Renders in seconds.

Red_yellow_spec_met_dragon1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 371K
    Oulined5.jpg
    800 x 800 - 198K
    edited December 1969

Looks great. In this render, I think no hatching would be better, keeping it toon with CEL. Just an observation.

edited December 1969

Thanks Horo. Another specular metal variant this time as a glass.

Red_yellow_spec_met_dragon2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 276K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@electro: Nice image. Not hard to believe something like that in the real world.

@BjornLo: That's a real nice image. Love the different color shades on the water. And the ship, whoa, nice.

@David/Horo: That toon shading is really interesting. Haven't made up my mind if I really like it, but in the right situation it could be fascinating.

@David: Two more very good videos. Nice results on the second to last dragon, but I'm not really sold that the last dragon is glass. I can see it should be but it's missing something to give the actual glass appearance.

@mermaid: They're still nice images. Horo's mention of not enough contrast made me think of making sure gamma correction wasn't set. I've noticed it can change the overall end results.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @mermaid: They're still nice images. Horo's mention of not enough contrast made me think of making sure gamma correction wasn't set. I've noticed it can change the overall end results.

I don't think we have a gamma issue here because the foreground most probably wouldn't be so dark. That's why I haven't mentioned it. But you're right, everything should be checked. Good advice!
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: Two more very good videos. Nice results on the second to last dragon, but I'm not really sold that the last dragon is glass. I can see it should be but it's missing something to give the actual glass appearance.

I suppose I should clarify, it is "glass" only as far as Bryce is concerned. It is not surprising that it looks nothing like glass in appearance since the material properties are set to values that are either impossible - negative melalicity - or larger than is normally allowed - huge specular response. Sorry for the confusion. Time is short for me at the moment and I'm just focusing on testing new things. I would hope that people looking at the new videos will also do some testing on these functions, but it is very difficult for me to gauge how clearly I've explained the process so I don't know how realistic it is to expect someone else to join in just yet.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

@ David B, Oulined 5.jpg caught my notice, looks interesting, so now to start on your videos and play catchup.

edited June 2013

Horo said:
    Are you sure there is no ambient for the far mountain material? It ought to have more contrast. The material looks very good, it just misses contrast. But then, it might be the effect of the haze. Foreground is another matter. The sun will not give them enough light so you'll have to increase the HDRI Effect. The montain in the distance will get too bright, reduce diffuse on its material to balance the brighter ambient light from the HDRI.

Horo- Thanks, there’s not much I can do with the background mountain material as that’s a backdrop of one of your Hdri.

Mermaid, you can always post me if you find you can't get the effect you are after. Provided the source files are <10 mb, I can adjust and send back no problem.</p>

Thanks David, I will take you up on this offer one day. I will come back to this render at a later date as the materials and the Hdri you used are available to us either in the presets or the pro contents.

I found some very cool tutorials here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2839/ Chohole has set out the tutorials in a very user-friendly way Thanks Chohole. I found some of Horo’s videos explaining the IBL and Hdri. For now it’s back to basics for me. :-)

Thanks Electro-elvis and GussNemo for your comments. The Gamma correction is turned off. I’m going to try this tutorial again at a later date from scratch. David’s tutorials are easy to follow but a bit fast-paced, so I must have missed a point here or there.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited June 2013

@Horo: I only mentioned it because I've missed disabling it several times, and it really affected the overall appearance of the image.

@David: I should know, by now, experiments aren't the finished product. Even though the glass dragon is glass to Bryce, and even though it doesn't look visually like glass, the results so far are eye catching. And you do a nice job explaining yourself, even when it's something new.

@mermaid: Even though you use one of Horo's, or someone else's, HRD file doesn't mean you can tweak its output. All the setting directly under the HDRI thumbnail can be adjusted. Perhaps adjusting the HRD intensity, more light, will help the mountains. And perhaps I'm talking out of the top of my head. :-) (smileys still not working)

Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited June 2013

GussNemo said:

@mermaid: Even though you use one of Horo's, or someone else's, HRD file doesn't mean you can tweak its output. All the setting directly under the HDRI thumbnail can be adjusted. Perhaps adjusting the HRD intensity, more light, will help the mountains. And perhaps I'm talking out of the top of my head. :-) (smileys still not working)

I know what you mean there must be some way to tweak the hdri, but till I learn the basics it's mainly playing with the different options and trying to find something that looks nice.

There are some cool videos from Horo and David here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2839/

Horo explains the different options in the IBL

Bryce 7 - Lighting a Still Life
    Bryce IBL Light from Inside
    Bryce 7 Use Sky for HDRI
    Bryce 7 Using IBL Part 1 of 2
    Bryce 7 Using IBL Part 2 of 2

Have Fun

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 1969

Well, it's not bryce but Daz Studio 4.6 Pro and Photoshop CS2, one of my first characters but latest render

736718_10151721597660996_1874549809_o.jpg
    1900 x 882 - 174K
    edited December 1969

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - very high power ambient recipe - by David Brinnen

As I explain in the description "A Bryce 7.1 Pro tutorial aimed at advanced users. Essentially if you don't yet know what the limitations of the ambient channel are, you are probably not ready to watch this tutorial, it's as simple as that."

If you are using TA rendering, in any capacity, then this tutorial might prove useful.

Edit. And something else using these high power functions.

I don’t know much about the limitations of the ambient channel but here’s my attempt at this tutorial.

Somewhere through the video you mentioned that the ambient color is limited to primary colors. The second one is an experiment with a yellowish color RGB 255,250,205 for the ambient and here’s the result. The color of the cylinder is still white but the light at the bottom on the cylinder and the object is a bit yellowish.

highambient2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 25K
    highambient.jpg
    600 x 600 - 25K
  • mx42bmx42b Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

I am always fascinated and impressed by all of the renders and experimentation I find posted here. A very well done to all of you.
    As for this one:

Title: Song of the Fallen

She is a V4.2 with morphs, the VH-BoAnn skin material, V4 basic wear bikini with mats from Bryce. Her hair and wings come from Poser9. There are three droplets and a sphere with the volumetric fire mats applied. The water is a Bryce terrain with one of the water mats applied. Lighting is the Bryce sun and a single radial light. It was rendered using premium setting with rpp of 16, mrd of 4, tir of 2, and soft shadows enabled.
    I hope you like it...

Songofthefallen.jpg
    1114 x 829 - 268K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Just playing with mountains and clouds.

MountainSky.jpg
    966 x 470 - 420K
This discussion has been closed.