Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Thank you for the information. I'll try using it and see what happens. I'm familiar with what MRD does when used in creating abstracts, but not with an object like I'm working with. Set too high and the intensity of light increases. Set to low and things don't look very good. But I sense it works similar.

I know of TIR but not what it does. Judging from its name it increases the number of reflections within an object. If this is so will it give an object a better transparent look? I'm interested to see what affect increasing this has on the renders I'm experimenting with.

@TLBKlaus: Those abstracts look fabulous on a shirt. Congrats. That glass image looks pretty darn good.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited May 2013

@TLBKlaus - T-shirts look cool. Glad to see that it worked out for you.

@GussNemo - have a look at those 6 years old renders of jelly by David where TIR was changed from the first to the second. First: Staplers and Jelly, second: Staplers and Jelly with TIR6.

Post edited by Horo on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited May 2013

TLBKlaus- Cool T-Shirts Congrats. The glass is looking good.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: Thank you for the information. I'll try using it and see what happens. I'm familiar with what MRD does when used in creating abstracts, but not with an object like I'm working with. Set too high and the intensity of light increases. Set to low and things don't look very good. But I sense it works similar.
    Yes, it expands the amount ot times the light bounces around to gather information and thus increases the reflections and colours.
    In the examples below, the same scene is rendered using the same light and render settings except for the MRD which starts at 1, then 2, then 6, then 12.
    You'll see that at MRD1 you get an interesting result where the glass looses all it's transparency but from it's shadow you see the light has still passed through it to create the various colour casts on the ground plane.
    At MRD 2, the glass starts to look transparent.
    At 6 (the default), the glass has picked up a lot more detail in it's internal structure.
    At 12 (in fact usually anything beyond 6), there is no real appreciable difference in the result.

Also notice that the green glass still gives a mostly white patch on the ground plane where the red glass gives a much more solid red patch on the ground. This is because in the red glass I set the volume colour of the glass to red, where the green glass has a volume colour of white.

I know of TIR but not what it does. Judging from its name it increases the number of reflections within an object. If this is so will it give an object a better transparent look? I'm interested to see what affect increasing this has on the renders I'm experimenting with.

Yes, from what I gather it is a sub set of MRD that increases the amount of times reflections are bounced around inside transparent object, potentially enhancing the look of more complex objects. In my example it made no difference as there isn't much to reflect around inside.
    GlassMRD12.jpg
    1000 x 350 - 244K
    GlassMRD6.jpg
    1000 x 350 - 243K
    GlassMRD2.jpg
    1000 x 350 - 238K
    GlassMRD1.jpg
    1000 x 350 - 205K
    edited December 1969

Interesting observations Dave thanks for sharing

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited May 2013

@DocSavage64

Interesting collection. The result of nearly no difference between 6 MRD and 12 MRD can lead to a wrong conclusion, I think. With perfect spheres there are really hardly any differences, but you should repeat the examples with more complex objects. Once I used a glass with a lot of little bumps and rendered it with 6 MRD, 12 MRD and even 24 MRD and there were recognizable differences. I am afraid, I cannot show it just now, but maybe later.

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited December 1969

Interesting results, indeed. However, simple objects do not show everything. Even though volume colour is said to have only an effect if inside such an object, the glass as seen from the outside gets a more saturated colour and the light shining through it gets coloured, as the example nicely shows. For my dragon, transparent and volume colors were both set to the same colour, not white.

edited December 1969

@Dave: Those are very nice examples, I'm drooling while I write this. :-)

I did use the information you gave and discovered two things. 1) High MRD + high TIR = out of memory, the first time in the entire time I've been using Bryce that this has happened. 2) If all selections in the color section of the Mat Lab are set to white, increasing MRD or TIR will not produce a white object if transparency is set to 100%. With the atmosphere off, that color has to be white in order for the object to be white(ish). This I discovered in one of my "I wonder what happens if I do this" moments. The first image is the result of MRD 24, TIR 2, Transparency 100%, Atmosphere off and set to white, and diffuse for the sun set a bit lower. RPP was at 32. I then added a bit of color to Volume and Transparent to get the second image, which has RPP at 64; I thought it a bit much to wait 2 hours with RPP set to 144. I have to laugh at myself because after 40 iterations, all I would have had to do was set the atmosphere to white and I would have been where I first started. I know one sure thing, this lesson will not soon be forgotten. And thank you very much for the help.

@Horo: My untrained eyes can't see much difference between the two images. I perceive a difference, but not sure what it is.

@mermaid: Thanks.

I explained to Dave, above, how the first image was obtained. It really was a duh moment. The second image has a bit of orange set in Volume and Transparent, but rendered at RPP 64.

Fancy_Cube_Glass_Test_No_HDR_44.png
    750 x 750 - 662K
    Fancy_Cube_Glass_Test_No_HDR_40.png
    750 x 750 - 700K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

@Horo: My untrained eyes can't see much difference between the two images. I perceive a difference, but not sure what it is.

Good idea in such cases is to open both images in two separate browser tabs. Then click on the tabs to swap from one image to the other. This is some sort of a "blink-comperator" and helps noticing small differences.
    edited December 1969

Thanks Electro-Elvis and Horo. I wasn't being very clear when I wrote my post above and you are of course both correct.
    My point was supposed to be that if there is no discernible difference, higher than necessary MRD is pointless and in some cases can still lead to much higher render times because the rays are bouncing more and yet the result isn't really worth the extra effort.

Of course, more complex objects will benefit in some cases from higher MRD and TIR. Then there will be other cases where overly complex objects may need less detail showing to make them sit better in the scene. It is like most things a judgement call depending on the scene and the intent of the artist (and as always to some extent a measure of the patience of the artist).

In this example I used more complex models to how MRD can pick up extra detail above MRD6.
    The first one is set to MRD6, looks good enough and rendered in just over an hour.
    The second one is set to MRD12 and has more detail in the glass objects, but took just under 9 hours to render.

For my money in these two examples, the extra rendering time hasn't resulted in a 'better' render, just a more detailed one. That extra level of detail can distract from the otherwise simplicity of a scene and maybe the artist is trying to get across a feeling of relaxation and not intensity. As such, I then made a totally postworked version to show how less detail can be effective depending on what 'mood' is being portrayed. :)

Glass2MRD6Painting.jpg
    700 x 500 - 378K
    Glass2MRD12.jpg
    700 x 500 - 492K
    Glass2MRD6.jpg
    700 x 500 - 491K
    edited June 2013

GussNemo said:
    I explained to Dave, above, how the first image was obtained. It really was a duh moment. The second image has a bit of orange set in Volume and Transparent, but rendered at RPP 64.

Setting the orange in the glass has done the trick here Guss. If you want to try it, maybe try keeping the orange in the glass and changing the ground plane colour to blue. You glass will go back to looking a bit smoky again.

I think another thing to consider and one of the things that originally cropped up with glass looking a bit like gummy bears (not something to concern you in your latest renders) is that well polished glass should have really well defined reflections. Specular can't achieve anywhere near the sharpness required so the only way to do it is using HDRI reflections (or having objects out of frame that reflect in the surface of the glass, but that can be problematic in it's own ways). Setting an HDRI in the IBL tab and turning the HDRI Effect down to '0' and tweaking the Intensity control up until you get bright sharp reflection won't increase render times too much. Though again the choice of which HDRI background to choose is one of personal choice, I would usually go for a very simple one with bright sharp highlights in it so as not to overly complicate the glass surface with too much reflection detail.

The quality of light you've got passing through the object and hitting the ground looks extremely natural too. :)

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited June 2013

A little contribution from me on this glass topic. Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - Embed specular highlights in a materal - by David Brinnen

Edit. Here in TA rendering, a test, using this approach and some ambiance to add light inside the glass material. Even still you can see a few black fireflies.

Edit edit. And with regular diffuse - but again, no "real" reflection.

Spec_test3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 108K
    Spec_test2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 94K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Two landscapes, but can't decide which one is the best.

Opinions please.:-)

Chapel_in_the_Hills2.jpg
    1500 x 897 - 234K
    Chapel_in_the_Hills1.jpg
    1500 x 897 - 228K
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:

I like the haze density better in the lower image, but not the colour, which you could modify using colour perspective.

My reflection mapping experiments have lead me off in another direction.

Orientation_test11.jpg
    800 x 600 - 195K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:

I like the top one better; while the haze is fine for the distance, it seems too thick between the viewer and the building which isn't that far away. Unless it is intended to be smoke?
    The building seems a bit distorted by the camera though in each, at least to me.
    edited December 1969

@wilmap - work on the second one. Haze gives a clue to distance but Sean is right, it is too dense in the foreground. And yes, camera FOV is probably a bit on the wide side considering how the building is distorted.

edited June 2013

@Horo: This is something I may have to try.

@Dave: Love the look of those first two images. The third one actually looks like a modernist painting. That image has really nice effects.

I started all this wondering if good looking glass could be made without using an HDRI, after watching David's blue glass dragon. I have since learned glass can be made but not good looking glass. In my latest images above, even I can see reflections are missing(?) in some of the facets or are dull(?). I did find out specularity only produces a brighter object and not reflections, so I abandoned that track after awhile. It was your latest information which helped me discover why I kept getting a black object if only transparency was used. And now David's latest video, another very good one, has given more information I'm going to try with my sphere. BTW, I did think about changing the color of the infinite plane but felt I should get one thing looking as I wanted before trying something else. Now I'm curious to see how a blue plane affects the orange glass; or any other color for that mater.

@David: Another really good video, chucked full of information that just happens to be needed. This one I'm going to try with my current project, hopefully the dull looking facets will pop. Love that first dragon, and the effects. The second one looks like something drawn in a comic book, it has that style.

@Wilmap: To me, there's a focal point in your first image just to the right of the center peak. That bright spot of haze draws my eyes away from the rest of the image. I think the building, the background mountains, the foreground and color look really good. It's just that bright spot of haze that bothers me. In your second image I think you might have the haze too thick, which obscures the foreground colors. Adjusting the haze thickness will pull the haze back towards the mountains. As close as the viewer is, it might be a good idea to also adjust the intensity so there's haze but not a grass fire haze. As nice as that building is you might want to make sure its details can be seen clearly.

Post edited by GussNemo on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited June 2013

GussNemo said:

@Sean: To me, there's a focal point in your first image just to the right of the center peak....

GussNemo, I think your comment was directed to Wilmap, not to me?
    Post edited by sriesch on
    edited December 1969

Aftrer having downloaded the free 3D trees from Xfrog, set the foliage transparent and put everything neatly into the objects library, I finally gave it a test. As far as the branches and twigs are concerned, you can zoom in as near as you wish. This cannot be done with Bryce trees because some thin twigs are not connected to the limbs, and things get angular. However, the foliage is a bit of a disappointment. -- at least for this model: they are flat. So there's a limit to how close you can get. Nevertheless, the plants are really very high quality. Two EU55 trees, a terrain and an IBL backdrop. The HDRI is a sky dome type without a sun.to provide ambient. The main light comes from the Bryce sun.

xfrog-tree05b.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 389K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Not really into cars apart from rebuilding engines but thought I'd have a go at rendering a couple.
    Credit to the model makers whomever they were. Downloaded them a long time ago and can't remember. The scene is actually set inside an arched glass roofed building, although it looks like it's outside. Reflections on the cars are from an HDRI.

Car_2.jpg
    1100 x 424 - 371K
  • TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

The trees look very cool, and so do the cars... nice work.

Here's another one, having some fun w/intricacy this time... :D

symmetries37dev.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    edited December 1969

@Sean: My profoundest apologies. I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

@Horo: I like the look of those closeup leaves. The background tree really looks good.

@Stuart: Nice job. Got the name of your detailer?

@TLBKlaus: That image is way neat. Appears someone dismantled several clocks.

edited December 1969

@StuartB4 - great camera angle. Lighting is spot on.

@TLBKlaus - if those things were cogwheels, that could be a look into a very complicated machine.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Thanks very much GussNemo and Horo.

• TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

I have done some w/gears before... :D

Here's another new one, some tiling again...

symmetries38dev.jpg
    1600 x 853 - 2M
    edited December 1969

@TLBKlaus: Another stunning image. I think that image is either an exquisite ceiling painting or an exquisite floor tile design. Nice work.

I used the information from David's latest tutorial on the sphere I've been experimenting with. Besides my couple of duh moments, I think that information is what I was looking for in the first place--creating glass but not having to load an HDRI file to use for reflection during rendering. It's used, but as a spherical mapped image which is used to control specular of the material for an object; hope that's a close paraphrase. :-)

Anyway, the three images below are what resulted after watching David's video and using Dave's color suggestion. Unless I can think of something else to try with this particular experiment, it's probably best to hoist anchor and sail elsewhere. Thanks to all who contributed.

Fancy_Cube_Glass_Test_No_HDR_47.png
    750 x 750 - 684K
    Fancy_Cube_Glass_Test_No_HDR_46.png
    750 x 750 - 649K
    Fancy_Cube_Glass_Test_No_HDR_45.png
    750 x 750 - 744K
    edited December 1969

@TLBKlaus - left and right like masks with eyes and a small mouth.

@GussNemo - yes, that's a clever idea of David's. I haven't had the time to experiment with it. Your renders all look very nice. My scarce experience tells me that many settings that work for one type of object don't necessarily for other types.

edited December 1969

@Horo: the trees look every nice. I managed to download and few but have not started playing with them. Do you mean that you just put a blob in the transparency channel and change to Blend Transparency. I think TheSavage or Chohole suggested this.
    @Stuart: cool cars.
    @TLBKlaus: all your abstracts are lovely.
    @ GussNemo: You managed to get cool results, I tried David’s tutorial too but not much success. I must have missed a step here or there.

Horo said:

@GussNemo - yes, that's a clever idea of David's. I haven't had the time to experiment with it. Your renders all look very nice. My scarce experience tells me that many settings that work for one type of object don't necessarily for other types.

I think Horo is correct that could be the reason why I did not get good results.

edited December 1969

@Horo: the trees look every nice. I managed to download and few but have not started playing with them. Do you mean that you just put a blob in the transparency channel and change to Blend Transparency. I think TheSavage or Chohole suggested this.

Yes, that was all I did.
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @TLBKlaus - left and right like masks with eyes and a small mouth.

It (in theory) should work well for all smoothed mesh objects and curved surfaces through reflection mapping. Not so for anything with flat sides because of the limitations of the reflection map mapping mode. Which I have belabored in other video's.

This discussion has been closed.