Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

Thanks !
    I did meet him about 20 years ago....he signed my "Film Fantasy Scrapbook"......now all the binding glue has dried up and all the pages fell out!

That still counts as being very cool!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I love Harryhausen as well! I think my favorites of his are the last two Sindbad films. I think the last Sindbad film was, Eye of the Tiger. I loved the Sabertooth tiger at the end. I forget the name of the previous Sindbad film, but Tom Baker as the villain. I think that was probably the best acted film of the lot.

edited December 1969

Y'know, with all this talk of Harryhausen, I think I may have an idea for my second Movie Night challenge entry. Thanks Stu!

edited December 1969

I love Harryhausen as well! I think my favorites of his are the last two Sindbad films. I think the last Sindbad film was, Eye of the Tiger. I loved the Sabertooth tiger at the end. I forget the name of the previous Sindbad film, but Tom Baker as the villain. I think that was probably the best acted film of the lot.

It was The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, also benefitting from the presence of Caroline Munro...

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

mmmm. Caroline Munro. Last seen on 3.2.1 with Dusty Bin?

Here is the last render of these.

Dragon_copy.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 187K
  • SpacelandSpaceland Posts: 132
    edited December 1969

Oh Wow Stu, that is amazing, now can I have this in my backward.

:)

edited November 2013

Probably not her finest hour..she also made a brief but memorable appearance in The Spy Who Loved Me. You may have met Mr Harryhausen, but I have met Caroline!

But back to modelling matters - that is a superb model, great image!

Post edited by PhilW on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

super !

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

These images are really tremendous. But, didn't the chained dragon fight the cyclops in the 7th Voyage of Sinbad with Kathryn Grant? Didn't the Golden Voyage of Sinbad with Ms. Monro have the multiarmed Shiva statue swordfight? Of course, Mr. H could have reused the same monsters in both movies. In any case, I really admire your work. Please share more images whenever you get the chance. (and you could throw in a spline model of an Aladdin's lamp and enter the Carrara contest. Hint, hint).

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

These images are really tremendous. But, didn't the chained dragon fight the cyclops in the 7th Voyage of Sinbad with Kathryn Grant? Didn't the Golden Voyage of Sinbad with Ms. Monro have the multiarmed Shiva statue swordfight? Of course, Mr. H could have reused the same monsters in both movies. In any case, I really admire your work. Please share more images whenever you get the chance. (and you could throw in a spline model of an Aladdin's lamp and enter the Carrara contest. Hint, hint).

You're picking up on a side discussion. Bad skimmer, bad! ;-)

If you look back a little, he has the cyclops and the dragon together in one of his pictures.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Bad skimmer, bad!

Ooops. Well, I really do I admire the renders - and they would make great entries for the movie-night theme.

(slinks away to nearest shadows)

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Bad skimmer, bad!

Ooops. Well, I really do I admire the renders - and they would make great entries for the movie-night theme.

(slinks away to nearest shadows)

I agree, they're great renders and models! I would love to see some WIPs showing his workflow.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can't believe you are having a Caroline Munro discussion in here. :) I have a DJ friend who played me her song with Gary Numan.

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

Victoria 6, using Winter Snow HDRI file.

V6_HDRI_test_1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 356K
  • Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 1969

Final Version of this Image, i say final as i had to render this image 4 or 5 times as there always was some little issues with the pose, some small details i haven't noticed before i rendered, i look at the image, see a mistake and just change it but didnt check the full image

So instead of just changing it (as there was a few other pose issues that couldnt be solved in Carrara) i made about 4 - 5 render pictures and added the Layers on Photoshop and cutted out the things i don't wanted, bad part was that the tone was slightly different in the render, so that i could see there i have cutted the thing out.

This image was really hard as it took me a full day to make it!

But it was totally worth it!
    I love how this one turned out!
    Hope you like it too!

Render made with Carrara 8.5 Pro, after workout made with Photoshop CS2 and just a bit color correction was made with Face Filter 3 Pro

Just to add this, if you wonder why this took me a full day.
    I just started the render in the morning before i go to work, at lunch time i changed some settings and needed to re render as there was some issues but i kept the old render, than after work i did need to render it again and and and but that isnt all, the resolution of the image is/was 10.000x8.000px and about 20MB, so even to big for Facebook
    So render time was about 2 - 3 hours per render image, post work with photoshop, cutting that all was about 1 - 2 hours, so at all 11 - 17 hours for just this image (just guessing as i didnt stoped the render time :D)

Hair is dynamic Addison Hair from PhilW :)
    Love the dynamic hair much more than most of the normal hairs as i have full control of the hair and got more realistic inside (but there are also some good hairs with great realistism what i found out, on Daz Render the hair looked not real but in carrara it looked much better)

Also used the Portrait Studio from PhilW but with a bit change of the background color :)

btw. if you want to take a look at my facebook site you can follow this link:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chris-Fox-Art/593563600710712?fref=ts

there are the most of my renders.

portrait_011complete_saP.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    edited December 1969

chiisuchianu - very nice image, the posing looks very natural (difficult poses too!).

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    chiisuchianu - very nice image, the posing looks very natural (difficult poses too!).

thanks a lot! :)

Here is the first image i was rendering for this pose as you can see there are a few things that needed to get corrected, the fingers was possible to do with carrara, for the legs and chest i just made them invisible and did a re render but this was a bit tricky too as the light changed a bit, so it was a bit more work than i thought at the beginning but i'm glad that i did it :)

test001.jpg
    742 x 932 - 359K
  • stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited November 2013

I quite like those "Day of the Dead" style make-ups,....it a bit late for Halloween but here is one I made earlier!
    I resurrected my Bride of Frankenstein model,mainly to avoid retopo-ing a new head.

SugarSkull75A.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 393K
    Post edited by stu sutcliffe on
    edited December 1969

I quite like those "Day of the Dead" style make-ups,....it a bit late for Halloween but here is one I made earlier!
    I resurrected my Bride of Frankenstein model,mainly to avoid retopo-ing a new head.

Wow... I really like this one!!! Great Render!

edited December 1969

Awesome Work!!!! I really love your images, full of rich colors and lighting is great!!!

• Robo2010Robo2010 Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

Here is my latest (lighting). Still working on Overpass (half done).

Doc112.jpg
    584 x 1422 - 68K
    Bridge12.jpg
    1024 x 382 - 33K
    edited December 1969

Robo2010 said:

Nice work Robo. For the overpass image, if you want to disguise the point origin of the light cones, try using a 3D light sphere in conjunction with the light cone. In the light sphere's editor, set it to realistic and adjust the intensity and diameter to your liking.

edited December 1969

Outstanding render Stu!

edited November 2013

Robo2010 said:

Nice work Robo. For the overpass image, if you want to disguise the point origin of the light cones, try using a 3D light sphere in conjunction with the light cone. In the light sphere's editor, set it to realistic and adjust the intensity and diameter to your liking.

Yes, those cone lights are a problem 40 of em and had to work with one each at a time (I can change the color range all at once, but each when in cone settings). I would get constant Memory error messages, that I have to reboot my system each time, to clear the memory. If I just restart Carrara, the error is still in memory. I know if I send error problem to DAZ nothing will be done. Do not know when this Beta will be done. If so, the problems will still be there. I have 16 gigs of Ram, 1 Gig video Sapphire Radeon, 6 core CPU (AMD), and 1T HD (Asus Motherboard).

Post edited by Robo2010 on
    edited December 1969

Not sure what the memory issue is. I've worked with hundreds of lights at a time before.

Are the street lights separate from the rest of mesh? If so, I would set up one street light with the light. Adjust the values to where you want them for both the physical properties of the light and it's light effects, then with the street light model and the light source grouped together, duplicate the street light group as many times as needed.

edited November 2013

Not sure what the memory issue is. I've worked with hundreds of lights at a time before.

Are the street lights separate from the rest of mesh? If so, I would set up one street light with the light. Adjust the values to where you want them for both the physical properties of the light and it's light effects, then with the street light model and the light source grouped together, duplicate the street light group as many times as needed.

That what I do. Make one good spotlight with cone, the duplicate. Then then the problem with Light through transparency. Light will not go through. So I have to rise up a bit, or lower. Then or play with cone settings. Its that little preview render in the cone settings, that after awhile, will get memory error message. Doing one at a time waiting for the render to be done, even black screen and lowest render settings (Fast, 4 for shadow, etc.) will even cause this.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Robo2010 said:
    Yes, those cone lights are a problem 40 of em and had to work with one each at a time (I can change the color range all at once, but each when in cone settings). I would get constant Memory error messages, that I have to reboot my system each time, to clear the memory. If I just restart Carrara, the error is still in memory. I know if I send error problem to DAZ nothing will be done. Do not know when this Beta will be done. If so, the problems will still be there. I have 16 gigs of Ram, 1 Gig video Sapphire Radeon, 6 core CPU (AMD), and 1T HD (Asus Motherboard).

This does sound odd. Can you show us exactly what the error message looks like. It sounds like you have a PC - in which case I can help further (maybe). 16 GB of RAM should be plenty for most Carrara work - you may have a lot of background programs running too and dragging you down.

I have often lamented the (lack of) quality error messages or diagnostic info in DAZ software.

edited December 1969

Robo2010 said:

That what I do. Make one good spotlight with cone, the duplicate. Then then the problem with Light through transparency. Light will not go through. So I have to rise up a bit, or lower. Then or play with cone settings. Its that little preview render in the cone settings, that after awhile, will get memory error message. Doing one at a time waiting for the render to be done, even black screen and lowest render settings (Fast, 4 for shadow, etc.) will even cause this.

The light through transparency may be the issue. I don't see anything in under the street lights that needs to cast a shadow in the light cone- at least not close enough to the camera to be visible. You could turn off the shadow function in the light cone and I believe that will negate the need to enable the shine through transparency option. This should help you with the preview issue as well as significantly speed up the render.

If you do need the shadow function, then move the spot light down far enough so that it is outside the geometry of the light. I use the hot-point for the light as a guide for the point of origin. Then, use the 3D light sphere to disguise the origin of the light. Using the suggested method will mean you just have to enable the shadows in the light cone but not the light through transparency option. If that makes sense. ;-)

edited November 2013

Garstor said:
    Robo2010 said:

This does sound odd. Can you show us exactly what the error message looks like. It sounds like you have a PC - in which case I can help further (maybe). 16 GB of RAM should be plenty for most Carrara work - you may have a lot of background programs running too and dragging you down.

I have often lamented the (lack of) quality error messages or diagnostic info in DAZ software.

I have noticed in the preview window In cone settings, that the preview renders will begin to slow down to eventually end up in "Allocation memory error" (message), after about 20 + lights while changing settings to all the same. That even when doing a full image render, that same error will pop up. Have to restart PC, to clean memory. Will show message image soon.

Update: Tried to get error message image, that in a preview render, the render cores froze trying to render preview. Was working on upper Bridge light settings, after fixing lower lights 44 lights. When tried to get image, was getting black screen.

edited December 1969

Are you using the fast preview or the full render preview? I'm wondering if it's the fast preview, perhaps there's a video card issue- especially with the black screen problem. I could be way off base. I'm just thinking out loud.