Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    ...and she is a good sort as well which never hurt :)
    You caught that, too? Yeah... nice smile. She is a good sort. Very nice, ep.
    Ya know, Carrara being as busy as it is, you'd think I could sneak off a render or two... sheesh, Dart. Get with it, will ya? Soon I'll break out of my busy - busy and make some lovelies. Really sorry for not joining in any of the contests lately. Maybe this month. It's finally freezing around here. Really freezing very soon, too. That should give me a tinge of fun, play time.
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    I spent two and a half hours on a scene today...

JEALOUS!!! I wish I could do that these days.

I am slowly working on something (shhhh! it's a secret!). I am still modeling and have not done much UV mapping (will probably start that over) and definitely no shading work yet. If it works out as I hope, it will be pretty darn awesome though! :-)

I'm still dreaming of getting as good as you guys are!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 2013

dart wroteth

head wax - 05 December 2013 07:36 PM
    ...and she is a good sort as well which never hurt

You caught that, too? Yeah… nice smile. She is a good sort. Very nice, ep.
    Ya know, Carrara being as busy as it is, you’d think I could sneak off a render or two… sheesh, Dart. Get with it, will ya? Soon I’ll break out of my busy - busy and make some lovelies. Really sorry for not joining in any of the contests lately. Maybe this month. It’s finally freezing around here. Really freezing very soon, too. That should give me a tinge of fun, play time.

partcipation is part of the pleasure - and just hoping against hope that you don't win and have to be next month's host is part of the pain ,... :)

but seriously, it's a joy to watch people improve and to develop their ideas and to see how artists approach the same subject from wildly different angles.

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    head wax said:

I am slowly working on something (shhhh! it's a secret!). I am still modeling and have not done much UV mapping (will probably start that over) and definitely no shading work yet. If it works out as I hope, it will be pretty darn awesome though! :-)

hey you do good work already!
    oh I got up at 5.50 made a cup of coffee and started work, then at 8.28 I saved my scene about 1.75 gigs?? then rushed and had a shower ironed my clothes and went to my other job. I'll work on the same scene from 5.20 pm this arvo until about 8.30 pm when I will need to get up and boil up some yucky tofu and vegetables for dinner :)

edited December 1969

Maybe this month. It's finally freezing around here. Really freezing very soon, too. That should give me a tinge of fun, play time.

We're getting another arctic cold snap all the way down in Texas tonight. It will be sub-freezing temperatures and probably freezing rain tomorrow. Not enough to be disastrous -- but enough to freak out Texans and make them drive slower than I can walk.

Alas, since I work from home I can't take a day off from the office...

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    great job on the looping round the figure, yes often having lots of little lights gives sparkle and takes away from the cg look a little, I spent two and a half hours on a scene today and I couldn't get the light right until I adde anything glows to the camera and softened the shadows - it's a major scene with about 8 k4s a dog and a cat and about 12 animals ....... plus lots of glass for refclections so I will spend another 2 hours on lighting I guess then render it out as 12 inches by 16 inches at 300 dpi - sometimes it's even fun :)

Aside from the little replicated bulbs (1ft range and 25% falloff) I had three lights. One pink colored distant light set to 40% brightness with soft shadows to provide frontal illumination and two spot lights at 100% and a very light blue to provide rim lights and aimed so as to avoid the floor. That's it.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    head wax said:

I'm sure you'll find the time to finish it! ;-)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    ...I will need to get up and boil up some yucky tofu and vegetables for dinner :)

Alright; I'm not jealous of the tofu bit... :lol:

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Maybe this month. It's finally freezing around here. Really freezing very soon, too. That should give me a tinge of fun, play time.

We're getting another arctic cold snap all the way down in Texas tonight. It will be sub-freezing temperatures and probably freezing rain tomorrow. Not enough to be disastrous -- but enough to freak out Texans and make them drive slower than I can walk.

Alas, since I work from home I can't take a day off from the office...

-15.556º C (4º F) right now. Wind chill is outrageous at -25.556º C (-14º F). Texans want ice? Yesterday at this time it was above freezing and raining like a son of a gun. We have such an icy glaze on everything it's not even funny.

edited December 1969

I'm sure you'll find the time to finish it! ;-)

Nice word play there buddy...the rest of you will get that once (if?) I have something worth showing off...

I'll be in Charlotte, North Carolina next week for work...so no 3D work/play for me. Hopefully I can get plenty of modeling done this weekend.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    head wax said:
    ...I will need to get up and boil up some yucky tofu and vegetables for dinner :)

I'm on that fast feast diet - works good apart from being hungry and my last person at work gave me some scottish shortbread and a choclate muffin as a present :) so I hid them in a bag

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    head wax said:

Me either. One of my sister-in-laws is a vegetarian (not vegan), and she won't touch the stuff. She actually avoids soy products as a rule, because of some hormonal side effect. She's a Thyroid cancer survivor.

edited December 1969

-15.556º C (4º F) right now. Wind chill is outrageous at -25.556º C (-14º F). Texans want ice? Yesterday at this time it was above freezing and raining like a son of a gun. We have such an icy glaze on everything it's not even funny.

Trust me buddy, I am not laughing. Our forecast low is "only" -3º C. Any sub-zero temperature in Texas is simply wrong...I moved here after 30 years of Canadian winters.

In other news, I lit my fireplace tonight without burning my face off (again).

edited December 1969

A little concept I'm working on. I may even try an animation using it. Not complete by any means.

No GI. Just replicated, low intensity distant lights on a dome, plus one distant light for the sunlight.

I wanted to give the effect of super massive ships in low Earth orbit, so I rendered a scene with the identical lighting and camera angle, and just the ships. I then placed that render into the scene's Backdrop and used an atmosphere and volumetric clouds to try and sell the concept.

I call it:
    The Invasion Force

Invasion_force.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 897K
    edited December 1969

bludy magnificent!

edited December 2013

head wax said:
    bludy magnificent!

I'm dialing the brightness of the ships down at the moment. I want the look to remind the viewer of what a half moon looks like when seen in the daylight. The lit half is visible, and the dark half looks the same as the rest of the blue sky.

I've been adjusting the brightness and contrast in PS, but I may need to re-render the backdrop with just the sunlight and no other light including the scene's ambient light, so I get deep, dark shadows.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

A little concept I'm working on. I call it: The Invasion Force

Wow! Nice effect. I'm sure you'll hone this one to near perfection.

edited December 2013

Here's a better integration. I'm still considering rendering a new back drop with only the sunlight as I'm not entirely pleased with what I get adjusting the brightness/contrast of the original render.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Invasion_force1.1_.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

Just spent the last 2 hours with my dog Tink decorating the christmas tree.. phew.. glad that's over.

our_tree.jpg
    800 x 600 - 351K
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Just spent the last 2 hours with my dog Tink decorating the christmas tree.. phew.. glad that's over.

Hey Chuck, you and Snoopy should have used my lights! ;-)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

I was gonna but the power plug don't fit my powerpoint!! :coolsmile:

• waxfin_c9ea3eab69waxfin_c9ea3eab69 Posts: 57
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:

you must be exhausted :)

• waxfin_c9ea3eab69waxfin_c9ea3eab69 Posts: 57
    edited December 1969

Here's a better integration. I'm still considering rendering a new back drop with only the sunlight as I'm not entirely pleased with what I get adjusting the brightness/contrast of the original render.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

you've got a great feeling of atmospheric haze in that

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    That is a great render... looks real! Where on earth did you get that cool little dog?

evil, great render, man! That's one of my favorite star ships, too. I hope Phil just keeps on a making those. Do you have his others too? I have a couple of modified versions of HMS August with the GIS Skyway fitted into the front landing bay and GIS Terminal fitted really nicely underneath. I'll sneak in some shots of that, when I get up there later. I love using the GIS products for Star ship enhancements. The terminal is really cool for fighter ship launch action! ;)

• IlenaIlena Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    bludy magnificent!

I second that. :)

• IlenaIlena Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

until_next_time_by_mythologylover22-d6xb5oi.jpg
    1024 x 640 - 291K
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:
    head wax said:
    bludy magnificent!

I second that. :)As I've already commended ep on his bludy magnificent piece, I'm now going to redirect this quote onto the above image by you! Bludy Magnificent!
    Love the scene she's in. You have a great talent with your scenery. Very cool. The centerpiece character is excellent, and a darned nice render!

edited December 1969

Ilena, I agree with Dart, really nice job on that render. Nice dynamic camera angle as well.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Just a weather report from my part of the world...

Started with a little bit of rain, 67 mm in 6 hours. Not a record, but enough to create some interesting hours in traffic.
    Then the snow... 15 cm - 0 deg.C. And when we had that cleared from the roads and sidewalks, 15 more cm.

And then back to the rain....

I miss summer !

Doc1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 383K
    Doc2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 334K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Just a weather report from my part of the world...

Started with a little bit of rain, 67 mm in 6 hours. Not a record, but enough to create some interesting hours in traffic.
    Then the snow... 15 cm - 0 deg.C. And when we had that cleared from the roads and sidewalks, 15 more cm.

And then back to the rain....

I miss summer !

me too - only 4 more month :P