Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope

Comments

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

thank you sci fi funk,
    actually it depends on your needs and complexity of the scene, the rig works fine with baked maps, less with procedural shaders. I have never tested with landscape scenes for it was meant to lit close ups or simple scenes for animation purpose. This one for example took "only" 7 min/frame at 3000x on a i7 (preview lighting quality) while the 2 cars took around 15 min (excellent lighting Quality, 2560x)

jessieb_AO.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 328K
  • Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

That's not bad for GI. However as you say it's based on simple scenes. I would imagine few lights and one to two characters. Also those stonemason sets are pretty compressed (he's good at that).

I've not worked with baked maps yet. At least I've not intentionally created any. I guess that would save on time. I've read that GI can cause unwanted side effects (not treating the light the same frame to frame) although it's been fine for me the odd time I use it.

I'm guessing it would be a different matter for a night scene. I'd love to see your night scene work. Here more lights are required, and reflections, shinnyness etc is perhaps a bit more dramatic (so more time to render).

Thanks for the info.

edited December 1969

That's not bad for GI. However as you say it's based on simple scenes. I would imagine few lights and one to two characters. Also those stonemason sets are pretty compressed (he's good at that).

I've not worked with baked maps yet. At least I've not intentionally created any. I guess that would save on time. I've read that GI can cause unwanted side effects (not treating the light the same frame to frame) although it's been fine for me the odd time I use it.

I'm guessing it would be a different matter for a night scene. I'd love to see your night scene work. Here more lights are required, and reflections, shinnyness etc is perhaps a bit more dramatic (so more time to render).

Thanks for the info.

- the AO function is pretty faster than IL so I suggest to play around with it; the rig has only a distant light, an emitter plane and a participating medium - a cloud dome -, ambient light as fake diaphragm and AO radius as fake shutter speed; realistic sky only if needed otherwise a simple white or pale azure sky as globe of light.
    - No such issues with GI in animations I guess they may depend on wrong camera set up
    - if you may send a rough scene I may test the rig with one of your works ..waiting for octane :cheese:
  • Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

- the AO function is pretty faster than IL so I suggest to play around with it; the rig has only a distant light, an emitter plane and a participating medium - a cloud dome -, ambient light as fake diaphragm and AO radius as fake shutter speed; realistic sky only if needed otherwise a simple white or pale azure sky as globe of light.
    - No such issues with GI in animations I guess they may depend on wrong camera set up
    - if you may send a rough scene I may test the rig with one of your works ..waiting for octane :cheese:

That's excellent information. Thanks so much.

As you say though. It all becomes redundant when Octane arrives. If I wasn't so far behind my promised schedule I'd be dropping everything to play with Octane right now.

As it is I'll finish the current episode,wait for octane to come out and THEN drop everything. lol.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

A test render. I'm refining the lighting for a morning mist scene. There is no postwork, and no GI.

Mornng_mist_no_GI_test.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 70K
  • stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Now I have 8.5, I can have a bit more luck with draping.The Bullet stuff has a long way to go I feel ,but its a damn site better than 8.1!
    The BG was a bit rushed though...I sought of give up when I get to that stage. In my head it was going to be a hazy silhouette of medieval Paris . But it ended up being a photo of a Manchester sky with a bit of ArtRage scratching.

Hunch001AR001_75.jpg
    1125 x 1500 - 1M
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Now I have 8.5, I can have a bit more luck with draping.The Bullet stuff has a long way to go I feel ,but its a damn site better than 8.1!
    The BG was a bit rushed though...I sought of give up when I get to that stage. In my head it was going to be a hazy silhouette of medieval Paris . But it ended up being a photo of a Manchester sky with a bit of ArtRage scratching.

cool - where is the bell ;-)

edited December 1969

Looks great as always! Nice work o the clothes.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    testing a new lighting rig, with (+1.4) and without gamma; it works pretty fine with ambient occlusion imo

very effective, realistic. Care to tell us more about the rig - I'm all ears! :)

thank you HW, actually I'm trying to achieve a sort of "physical" lighting model with the powerful lighting tools in Carrara; as you can see gamma correction slightly affects the color temperature also, difficult to get with AO checked. Here is another try with same settings

thanks magaremoto :)

edited December 1969

wonderful Stu!!! can you tell us a little about the clothing? (like a lot :) )!!!

pretty please

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited February 2014

More like a disgruntled England Six Nations fan! Love the clothing drape as well and want to know how you did that....

Yay Wales, eh Chohole? ;) SileneUK

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2014

laurenwbr said:

More like a disgruntled England Six Nations fan! Love the clothing drape as well and want to know how you did that....

Yay Wales, eh Chohole? ;) SileneUK

Yay, yay and thrice yay Good start to the Six Nations.

That was a darn unlucky ending for England though, how many minutes from time to convert that try. Ye dogs it's almost unbelievable.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Excellent! But... should we climb up there and release him now? Poor little guy!
    edited December 1969

excellent work Stucliffe, clothes and hair above all are very convincing imo. Like DB I'd like to see him free and dancing for joy. It would be very funny :lol:

• EyosEyos Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Wonderful picture! Love it and it made me smile from ear to ear.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the kind words!
    The draping worked out ok in the end, though it was major trial and error,( like everything seems to be in the world of 3d....or is it just me?) but I sort of stumbled on a technique that sort of worked, mainly cos it did not need to be very neat. Plus there was a myriad of technical workarounds.
    Maybe I will cobble together a short tut, but it does involve 3dcoat. And I am sure I make a meal out of everything I do!
    I was more surprised that the thing just didnt explode into space. Also with my limited testing it seems the soft body modifier does not work if an object is keyframed. I did a test of a rolling ball going through a hanging sheet/curtain , it worked fine .But if i just key framed the ball it broke through the sheet. I seem to remember it would not work with a character that has bones...it would be great if it could.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the kind words!
    The draping worked out ok in the end, though it was major trial and error,( like everything seems to be in the world of 3d….or is it just me?) but I sort of stumbled on a technique that sort of worked, mainly cos it did not need to be very neat. Plus there was a myriad of technical workarounds.
    Maybe I will cobble together a short tut, but it does involve 3dcoat. And I am sure I make a meal out of everything I do!

a short tut would be very kind thankyou :)

edited December 1969

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7219382/drape.pdf

Here is a quick run through.I am sure a lot of it will be as clear as mud but I hope it give you an idea of a process to use . For this one I just used a straight retopo, but for the Hunchback I sculpted the clothes and textured them, THEN retopo them and exported with Normal and colour maps.

There is a lot of back and forth when doing this ,so it is pretty impossibe to document every step of the way! And I am pretty much making it up as I go.

edited December 1969

thanks Stu!
    those soft body modifier settings are a great start for me!

edited December 1969

The soft body settings seem to have a mind of their own. I usually just start with the default and fiddle about from there .The self collision settings dont seem to work at all!

edited December 1969

Absolutely amazing what a bit of water and vegetative life can do to an otherwise barren and desolate wasteland.

Below are the same scene, albeit different camera angles, but the one has new plants and water added which entirely changes the whole scene. Smaller versions of the craggy plots in the foreground of the desolation scene are what I've populated with plants for the other.

Desolation1aFC1HLF.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 924K
    Oasis1aFC1HLF.jpg
    1151 x 716 - 996K
    edited December 1969

Lens flares and god rays are Project Dogwaffle Howler 9.1

edited December 1969

Absolutely amazing what a bit of water and vegetative life can do to an otherwise barren and desolate wasteland.

Below are the same scene, albeit different camera angles, but the one has new plants and water added which entirely changes the whole scene. Smaller versions of the craggy plots in the foreground of the desolation scene are what I've populated with plants for the other.

Nifty work Dart! Is that a preview of something? ;-)

edited December 1969

Nifty work Dart! Is that a preview of something? ;-)Absolutely ;)

edited December 1969

another try with a lighting rig AO based; less saturation and more sharpness in postwork

2.jpg
    2000 x 753 - 749K
    edited December 1969

Nice lighting. The image has a bit more noise than I like.

edited December 1969

A couple from me testing my morning lighting and one to test the scale of a DAZ dollie. ;-)

No GI and no postwork except to convert to .jpg format.

dells-dino.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 1M
    Mornng-mist-no-GI-cam-1-tes.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 1M
    edited December 1969

mmh you are right EP, and maybe wrong compression too; actually the main issue is how to enhance leaves and foliage in the distance and ambient occlusion sometimes can help to highlight the contrast. Very realistic atmosphere and sky in your scene

edited December 1969

mmh you are right EP, and maybe wrong compression too; actually the main issue is how to enhance leaves and foliage in the distance and ambient occlusion sometimes can help to highlight the contrast. Very realistic atmosphere and sky in your scene

Thank you.

I wasn't sure if it was a stylistic choice or maybe something else. It does a fine job of "hiding" that the landscape is CG. If it weren't for the hard shadows I would have thought it was CG car composited into a photograph. Again, great job on the lighting!

edited December 1969

thank you,
    unfortunately, to highlight the foliage I had to increase the AO radius and the shadows got out too dark.
    Howie's forest is superb as a photo-realistic glimpse