Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope

Comments

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Whoa.... Hold on... she's only six months... let's not get ahead of ourselves here! LOL

ROTFL! Alright, I didn't have a Carrara Content entry so I cannot suggest the next theme. But how about "Time Flies" as an idea? ;-)

I would suggest Deep in Motion also :)
    back to DB animation, I notice an interesting movement of the tongue that emphasizes facial expressions, very convincing imo

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Messing around with Genesis 2 Female

Were_Here_Capt.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 658K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited March 2014

Garstor said:
    I didn't have a Carrara Content entry so I cannot suggest the next theme. But how about "Time Flies" as an idea? ;-)

RE: Carrara challenges
    I started a brainstorming session in the last WIP thread. Assuming Daz is willing to continue to support the challenges, please join in if you have ideas or comments.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/36508/P105

I thought I would check on the level of interest for some ideas that I have. Feel free to suggest others.

a) “The Great Race” = theme, with a requirement to use the terrain modeler. Also, if a human is involved, the human must be either riding, directing, etc. something else (like a car race, or chariot race, or a pod race). But, any nonhuman racers would be OK, like the tortoise vs the hare, or the Wacky Races, if you have seen Stalag 17, you could even have rat races.

b) “Made in the Shade” = theme, with a requirement that at least one object be a simple geometric object (from any modeler) that is “made” into something by using the shader channels. For example, a cylinder could me made into a barrel, or a cube could be made into a building with open windows by using the alpha channel.

c) “Winter of our Frank-content” = theme - with a requirement that at least one piece of “content” be used (could be freebie from Daz, ShareCG, etc. or purchased) but that the content be edited either in a modeler or shaders or whatever so that it is substantially re purposed. For example, the free Daz cats could be combined with M4 to make a sphinx. A house could be turned into a houseboat.
    Feel free to comment on these ideas or to suggest others.

So I guess we need to check to see if Daz is willing to continue these contests, and what the level of interest is in the community.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

testing the SSS potential in C 8.5. The 2 shaders (head and ear) differ only in translucency, hard to notice in dim light

2.jpg
    1750 x 2000 - 238K
    1.jpg
    1750 x 2000 - 203K
  • ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

Stephanie 6 Close up of Carrara Skin Shaders.

Stephanie_6_Closeup3.jpg
    1300 x 1589 - 481K
    edited December 1969

Close up of Olympia 6 Carrara Skin Shaders.

Olympia6_Closeup.jpg
    1300 x 1589 - 565K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Messing around trying to get back into the swing of things

Arch_dias_fig_2.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 870K
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

Welcome back Maestro!

Your image and the recent Carrara contest got me thinking...I love seeing a cubic column twisted like that. It's a cool modifier.

Can we freeze that? I vaguely recall the answer is "no." ;-) I'd love to be proven wrong. Hopefully I'll have time to play with this today to find out on my own.

edited December 1969

This is a Carrara render done by Ja Yoes. He is a member of the Carrara 3D User Group in Facebook.
    He does amazing renders.

JaYoes_3D_3.jpg
    960 x 600 - 92K
    JaYoes_3D_2.jpg
    960 x 672 - 93K
    JaYoes_3D.jpg
    960 x 720 - 92K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

That looks really cool!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

This is a Carrara render done by Ja Yoes. He is a member of the Carrara 3D User Group in Facebook.
    He does amazing renders.

Send him on over!

edited December 1969

Great Stuff, 3dage and Jayoes!
    Wow... WinXP? I haven't seen that interface in a while now!

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited March 2014

Hi Garstor :)

Can we freeze that?

yes. :)

You can "deform" the model in the Vertex modeller, to add bend and twist, but it's a one way street, (apart from undo) unlike in the assembly room, where you can adjust the bend/twist and see what you're getting,.

When you add the effect in the vertex modeller,. it's not a modifier, so that's exportable as an object.
    but yes,. you should also be able to export with the deformation done in the assembly room,. it should be..
    Export / OBJ / and select "Export object with morphs and skinning"
    that should export the model with it's current deformations, even if the deformation is a modifier.

Andy :)

Ringo

Those are really nice.

Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Hi Garstor :)

Can we freeze that?

yes. :)

You can "deform" the model in the Vertex modeller, to add bend and twist, but it's a one way street, (apart from undo) unlike in the assembly room, where you can adjust the bend/twist and see what you're getting,.

When you add the effect in the vertex modeller,. it's not a modifier, so that's exportable as an object.
    but yes,. you should also be able to export with the deformation done in the assembly room,. it should be..
    Export / OBJ / and select "Export object with morphs and skinning"
    that should export the model with it's current deformations, even if the deformation is a modifier.

Andy :)

Ringo

Those are really nice.

Cool. I was just wondering about that the other day.

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

I did this one a long time ago, but I thought it was appropriate for St. Patricks Day. :)

Big.jpg
    800 x 600 - 255K
    edited December 1969

McGuiver said:
    I did this one a long time ago, but I thought it was appropriate for St. Patricks Day. :)
    Thanks McGuiver!
    Happy St. Patrick's Day to You as well! (Love that render!)
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    I'm trying a new algorithm for building a light dome from a Jpeg background.

That's my first try worthy of showing.
    the background is from Sibl archive at HDR labs.

Hope you enjoy it.

valleycdlv.png
    1280 x 960 - 2M
  • stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

It's Puddles the Clown! ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HtrbMy4mU4 )

Puddles_The_Clown_Reduced.jpg
    1125 x 1440 - 324K
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    Hi,

Hope you enjoy it.Absolutely enjoy it. So out of curiosity, are there any other lights in the scene, or is it all HDRI created? Cool HDR Image by the way. I love how Dimension Theory is getting really into making these. Although I don't really use that method, I still by them to add to my collection. Sometimes, if I want to run a quick test shot of something, I'll run one of his HDRIs in to test that out a little too. Fun.

Yaaaaay! Another Stu Sutcliffe! And a dandy at that! Cool video! LMAO!
    edited March 2014

Philemo said:
    Hi,

Hope you enjoy it.

Absolutely enjoy it. So out of curiosity, are there any other lights in the scene, or is it all HDRI created? Cool HDR Image by the way. I love how Dimension Theory is getting really into making these. Although I don't really use that method, I still by them to add to my collection. Sometimes, if I want to run a quick test shot of something, I'll run one of his HDRIs in to test that out a little too. Fun.

Hi dart,

Actually, it's not HDRI.
    The problem came of how Sibl archive are done. There is a hires background (in JPEG) and a medium and low res HDRI. Carrara doesn't allow to use both (the Hires picture for background) and HDRI for lighting.
    So I decided to build a light dome of distant lights from the HDRI. That was the first step.
    Afterwards, I found on Flickr the Panorama group where there are panorama (and hires ones) but no HDRI.
    That's why a decided to create light dome from LDR (Low Dynamic Range) images.

For those interested, i'ts done in several steps.
    First, the algo divide the image into several rectangles (one per light) of equal intensity (Median cut algorithm from Paul Deverec). In bright areas, there are a lot of small rectangles, in dark area, there are a few big rectangle. The range of the intensity is extended so that brighter area are considered brighter and dark ones darker.
    Afterwards it create 1 distant light per rectangle. The colour of the light is the average colour of the rectangle mixed with white light (to limit colour bleeding). The intensity of the light is the intensity of this average colour.
    A sun (another distant light) is then created from it's location on the picture

Compared to HDRI lighting, You get quite honest result with something like 256 lights.
    Tweaking is easy using masterlight command. Optionally, these dome light can cast shadows (useful for scenes where there is no sun)
    I'll try to post some more picture, but I'm know trying to get decent shaders for this test picture (Skin SSS, clothes, dynamic hair).
    If someone is interested, I can upload on ShareCG some Carrara scene with the light dome for a background image available on the internet.

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    Philemo said:
    Hi,

Hope you enjoy it.

Absolutely enjoy it. So out of curiosity, are there any other lights in the scene, or is it all HDRI created? Cool HDR Image by the way. I love how Dimension Theory is getting really into making these. Although I don't really use that method, I still by them to add to my collection. Sometimes, if I want to run a quick test shot of something, I'll run one of his HDRIs in to test that out a little too. Fun.

Hi dart,

Actually, it's not HDRI.
    The problem came of how Sibl archive are done. There is a hires background (in JPEG) and a medium and low res HDRI. Carrara doesn't allow to use both (the Hires picture for background) and HDRI for lighting.
    So I decided to build a light dome of distant lights from the HDRI. That was the first step.
    Afterwards, I found on Flickr the Panorama group where there are panorama (and hires ones) but no HDRI.
    That's why a decided to create light dome from LDR (Low Dynamic Range) images.

For those interested, i'ts done in several steps.
    First, the algo divide the image into several rectangles (one per light) of equal intensity (Median cut algorithm from Paul Deverec). In bright areas, there are a lot of small rectangles, in dark area, there are a few big rectangle. The range of the intensity is extended so that brighter area are considered brighter and dark ones darker.
    Afterwards it create 1 distant light per rectangle. The colour of the light is the average colour of the rectangle mixed with white light (to limit colour bleeding). The intensity of the light is the intensity of this average colour.
    A sun (another distant light) is then created from it's location on the picture

Compared to HDRI lighting, You get quite honest result with something like 256 lights.
    Tweaking is easy using masterlight command. Optionally, these dome light can cast shadows (useful for scenes where there is no sun)
    I'll try to post some more picture, but I'm know trying to get decent shaders for this test picture (Skin SSS, clothes, dynamic hair).
    If someone is interested, I can upload on ShareCG some Carrara scene with the light dome for a background image available on the internet.

The result looks very promising, especially the sharpness of the backdrop which cannot happen with a true hdri. If I were to make any suggestions it would be to enable shadow casting for the dome of lights as well as for the sunlight. It is my opinion that indirect light casts shadows which are important as depth indicators. If the dome is non-shadow casting the result can look similar to a uniform ambience glow which probably isn't what you were going for. In the example above one side of her face is illuminated with sunlight, the other side illuminated only with the indirect light from the dome. On the right hand side I miss the slight shading I would expect the hair to cast on her cheek even though this side of her face only receives indirect lighting. Enabling shadows for the dome will add to render time surely, but the realism potential of your rig makes me think it may be worth it. If your going to go as far as SSS for the skin then I dont see how one could skip the shading that should come from the indirect lighting.

Another aspect of hdri is the reflections. I wonder how your rig handles bright specular reflections?

Over-all, extremely well done simulation. Keep it up!!

edited December 1969

Hi Rashad! It's been, what... forever and a day? Good to see you!
    I find that spherical backgrounds cast wonderful reflections. It's a great way to get natural looking reflections on my alpha animations, as Carrara won't include the spherical background into the background of the alpha, but will calculate the resulting reflections - which is amazingly cool.

Anyways, I agree with using shadows on any form of GI replacement. I did a bit of reading from various sources pretty heavily when Woodlands was in the WIP stages and found that once you reach ambient lights numbering upwards of around 80, you no longer need to kick on the soft shadows to get pretty nice, soft shadows. With over 200 sky fills, shadows become very soft without the need to activate soft shadows, so they really should be on. And they might be. Many times we'll unlink the hair from the bulk of the shadow casting lights to remove an enormous bottleneck in render times. But then I guess we should do something to get at least some of that back.

That dome sounds really cool Philemo. I've been doing some really nice experiments using a single sunlight with the 16,000 x 8,000 spherical backgrounds from my Badlands kit, and then turning on GI without IL, and having Gamma Correction set to 2.2, and found that Carrara definitely considers the background in the GI calculations very nicely - at least to my eyes.

It's fun trying out new ways to light :)

edited December 1969

Hi Rashad,

The result looks very promising, especially the sharpness of the backdrop which cannot happen with a true hdri. If I were to make any suggestions it would be to enable shadow casting for the dome of lights as well as for the sunlight. It is my opinion that indirect light casts shadows which are important as depth indicators. If the dome is non-shadow casting the result can look similar to a uniform ambience glow which probably isn't what you were going for.

I completely agree and, coincidently though of that :-). The rig has an optional cast shadow feature. I didn't use it on that picture because I takes longer to render (the rig has 256 lights). Shadow is proportional to the light colour (the brighter the colour, the more shadows it provides)

In the example above one side of her face is illuminated with sunlight, the other side illuminated only with the indirect light from the dome. On the right hand side I miss the slight shading I would expect the hair to cast on her cheek even though this side of her face only receives indirect lighting. Enabling shadows for the dome will add to render time surely, but the realism potential of your rig makes me think it may be worth it. If your going to go as far as SSS for the skin then I dont see how one could skip the shading that should come from the indirect lighting.

I'm working on that. I try to have the best shaded subject so lighting can be shown effectively. Skin shading has improved greatly and I'm working on the clothes.

Another aspect of hdri is the reflections. I wonder how your rig handles bright specular reflections? Over-all, extremely well done simulation. Keep it up!!
    Background image is reflected by Carrara. The problem may be that reflections is not HDRI, so, in partial reflections (less than 100%), the lack of HDRI might show (ie Sun going grey instead of staying white). Anyway, thank you very much for the positive appreciation.
    edited December 1969

Last render with sun light and shadow intensity matching those of the background.
    I added SSS, maybe a bit light, but it can clearly be seen at the shadow edges in the full sized imaged.
    The light dome is also casting shadows. It add a little more contrast a some (actually a lot) render time :-)

valleyfb.png
    1920 x 1302 - 3M
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

More fun trying using Bryce terrains in Carrara :)

waterfall.png
    760 x 570 - 786K
    edited December 1969

Very Nice! Bryce sure makes a nice terrain, eh?

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Incredible! Did you sculpt all the cloth?
    edited December 1969

Hi Holly,
    Only sculpted the the body and arms. The "ruffs" ,sleeves and neck were softbody simple shapes ,then given a thickness after I selected a nice frame from the simulation. ( absolute nightmare this one,almost finnished my cg career!!!!)

edited December 1969

Hi Holly,
    Only sculpted the the body and arms. The "ruffs" ,sleeves and neck were softbody simple shapes ,then given a thickness after I selected a nice frame from the simulation. ( absolute nightmare this one,almost finnished my cg career!!!!)
    Ouch! I'm glad you were able to turn it into an "Almost"!
    We need you Stu! :)
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the support Dart! ( the jury is still out on this one!! )