• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533

The Ghost from Star Wars Rebels

The Ghost by tkdrobert

edited November 2018

Mandalorian

Mandalorian by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • One thing I would love to see is more space between your subjects and the frame. 

The cropping feels really tight. Droid legs cropped off.

His antennae chopped off...

Everything butts to the very edge of the frame.

I think giving stuff space to breathe would be nice.

And for grand scenes, I'd probably suggest a little DOF for the far backdrop.

One thing I would love to see is more space between your subjects and the frame. 

The cropping feels really tight. Droid legs cropped off.

His antennae chopped off...

Everything butts to the very edge of the frame.

I think giving stuff space to breathe would be nice.

And for grand scenes, I'd probably suggest a little DOF for the far backdrop.

I did the tight cropping on purpose.  I thought it looked good for this image.  The focus is on him, but gives the impression he is in a populated area, without putting in too many models. I didn't want it to look too busy that you can't see any of the other models.  I also wanted him large in the image, but not too much negative space.  Also, I didn't like his boots, so I hide them.  Yeah I pulled a Rob Leifeild move.

As far as DOF, I don't have any skills with that.  I don't know nor understand how to use it properly in Daz.  I know DOF is in the camera setting, but again I don't know what to do with them.  I could use a good tutorial on how to use it effectively in Daz.  It's a skill I want to pick up, but haven't dedicated any time to it yet (so much to learn, so little time).

• Man, I covered that in my class!

I would swear you were there. Well, there's lots of tutorials. Maybe I'll make one at some point to join all the other tutorials.

Pulled from my personal Tips and Tricks document made from Daz posts or youtube tutorials...

DOF

Be looking through the Perspective View Make sure you can see both the camera you're going to render from and the thing you want the best focus on. Select the camera and in the parameters tab turn on depth of field. You should see some guide coming from the camera. Move the sliders in the same tab that depth of field is until the focus object is between the two squares in the focus guide lines.

(One slider moves both squares, one move one of the squares away from the other, Focal Distance and F-Stop) Everything between the squares is in focus and goes out of focus the further away from that.

Note: iRay has a different sensitivity than 3Delight engine. (iRay squares should be closer than 3Delight to get a similar effect).

However, you can set up the DoF values by selecting the items you wan in focus and using the frame command (cmd/ctrl F, or use the viewfinder icon in the camera controls at top-right of the viewport).

----------------------If you use the Perspective view (or another camera) you can see guides for the DoF attached to the render camera - a sphere for the focal point and planes that measure the in-focus range. Drag the sphere to adjust the Focal Distance, the cube to adjust the F-Stop.

Man, I covered that in my class!

I would swear you were there. Well, there's lots of tutorials. Maybe I'll make one at some point to join all the other tutorials.

Pulled from my personal Tips and Tricks document made from Daz posts or youtube tutorials...

DOF

Be looking through the Perspective View Make sure you can see both the camera you're going to render from and the thing you want the best focus on. Select the camera and in the parameters tab turn on depth of field. You should see some guide coming from the camera. Move the sliders in the same tab that depth of field is until the focus object is between the two squares in the focus guide lines.

(One slider moves both squares, one move one of the squares away from the other, Focal Distance and F-Stop) Everything between the squares is in focus and goes out of focus the further away from that.

Note: iRay has a different sensitivity than 3Delight engine. (iRay squares should be closer than 3Delight to get a similar effect).

However, you can set up the DoF values by selecting the items you wan in focus and using the frame command (cmd/ctrl F, or use the viewfinder icon in the camera controls at top-right of the viewport).

----------------------If you use the Perspective view (or another camera) you can see guides for the DoF attached to the render camera - a sphere for the focal point and planes that measure the in-focus range. Drag the sphere to adjust the Focal Distance, the cube to adjust the F-Stop.

I was in your 1st class (free) and I remember DOF being discussed.  I even wrote some notes on it, but I haven't experimented with it yet.  What you just posted is the most detailed explination I've seen so far.  I'll try and make it work on my next render.

Xtreme Ahoska. DOF really didn't work for this one or I'm still doing it wrong.

Xtreme Ahsoka by tkdrobert

update

Xtreme Ahsoka (updated) by tkdrobert

No disintegration!

Vader and Fett by tkdrobert

• Follow Me

• Huo's Great Escape

• Invasion

You can't tell that I really like the cyborg, can you? :) 

Nice work @deathbycanon

• tkdrobert said:

Nice work @deathbycanon

thanks

Nice lighting effect.

Godzilla

Godzilla by tkdrobert

Green Lantern

Green Lantern by tkdrobert

Freelancer: Job Completed

Freelancer: Job Complete by tkdrobert

• RbugRbug Posts: 166

Never enven thought to post these here esh. Just a quick render of the Z95 Headhunter, I cannot remember who made this one I got it years ago. Just recently decided to map it out. Let me know what you think... Thanks

z95 on the prowel.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 198K
    Rbug said:

Never enven thought to post these here esh. Just a quick render of the Z95 Headhunter, I cannot remember who made this one I got it years ago. Just recently decided to map it out. Let me know what you think... Thanks

Cool

• Oh my, sir.

I'm trying to avoid your threads as I find them distracting.

Too much looking at renders. lol

You and Ice Dragon Art. Stop it, already.
    Freelancer looks bad-azz.

edited November 2018

Oh my, sir.

I'm trying to avoid your threads as I find them distracting.

Too much looking at renders. lol

You and Ice Dragon Art. Stop it, already.
    Freelancer looks bad-azz.

But I can't stop.  BTW, that is such a great compliment coming from you.  Thank you so much. 

Sci-Fi Anime Girl

Post edited by tkdrobert on

Robotech Patrol

HALO

HALO by tkdrobert

Wolverine

Wolverine III by tkdrobert

Jean Grey 80's style