Carrara Monthly Challenge: Fabulous Prizes! VOTING NOW OPEN!

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

oh I just saw your splats Wendy, very beautiful :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046
    edited June 2013

lol ok, they WERE Xfrog freebies btw
    that was a 2 minute job, I prolly can draw a better one!

my_flower_alpha.jpg
    640 x 400 - 46K
    my_flower.png
    640 x 400 - 123K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

actually planes work better than splats

Doc6.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    edited December 1969

lol ok, they WERE Xfrog freebies btw
    that was a 2 minute job, I prolly can draw a better one!

Wendy that transmap is really something :)
    ever thought of getting a job with a fabric company?

Wendy's Wonderful Wobbly Wysterias :)

(couldn't think of any flowers that start with wubbleyou

, ah yes splats are weird, :)

edited December 1969

I need better lit rooms and whiter walls
    might need to get a sheet of gyprock out of my black hole shed and lug it around ouside

my_lavender.jpg
    1303 x 1223 - 297K
    06062013626.jpg
    1303 x 1223 - 377K
    edited June 2013

wow that was quick :)
    it looks like a grand transmap
    if you have problems you could give it a quick touch up by hand around the periphery

you could try this
    in photoshop or similar
    lay the transmap
    in a layer over the original texture
    use soft light parameter (maybe screen parameter)
    and you will be able to see where the transmap isn't working exactly at the edges and you just paint white or black or grey in that area
    hmm, maybe it will work?
    have to try it when I get on a computer with some image software on it

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited June 2013

thx Andrew
    my lavender hedge
    (pano shot with android)
    just needs to flower a bit more
    https://www.box.com/s/pdy9kwxtavxqj21jpzik
    https://www.box.com/s/nprcxdk4553hhiav1p2b
    might try to recreate my garden
    meanwhile here is a hedge maze

hedge.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

I've been working on my entry for a while now.

There is already one great benefit. I've discovered the spline editor. It's really a great tool to easily create natural looking plant parts, in a far more versatile way than with the vertex editor.

Funny I've been working with Carrara for so many years while ignoring this tool :-).

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    No :) Everything from x frog is banned :)

I understand that given the spirit of the contest. But I am curious if anyone has any experience with XFrog products -- I've long had my eye on them and they do have a native LightWave format along with OBJ...

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    head wax said:

I understand that given the spirit of the contest. But I am curious if anyone has any experience with XFrog products -- I've long had my eye on them and they do have a native LightWave format along with OBJ...
    I have purchased one of the 'billboards' bundles and liked it for extreme background needs - but never the actual several hundred dollar x-frogs. I was considering it, but there isn't one made for Carrara.

Wow... I see I've been a bit 'too' busy working outside - and will need to catch up in here when I get the chance.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    head wax said:

I have purchased one of the 'billboards' bundles and liked it for extreme background needs - but never the actual several hundred dollar x-frogs. I was considering it, but there isn't one made for Carrara.

Wow... I see I've been a bit 'too' busy working outside - and will need to catch up in here when I get the chance.

Must be drier in the eastern part of the state. We're soaked pretty good here. Over an inch just yesterday.

edited December 1969

the maze video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf_MkqLMxi0
    think I need mesh though as planes look too fake animated

edited December 1969

Hey Wendy :)
    Now I got up at 6.20 am and fired up Carrara dn you had posted this two hours before - no sleep for the wicked? :)!

The flythrough looks fine - it's just the edges of the transmaps that are weird?
    it's either the edges of the maps or
    maybe it's the lighting - as you know Carrara plays ugly with alphamaps and some lighting?

have you seen Jeffrey's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViW8FCoggIE ?
    they are just textures with alpha maps in his ecomantics -
    renders very fast -
    his grass is also alphamaps on primitifs and looks very clean

so do you have that set - worthwile checkling out his method maybe?

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    head wax said:

Garstor I downloaded an oodle last year as they gave a lot away for free - from memory they were slow to render and the alphamaps were jumbled - and had to be flipped or similar - so I only played with them a little, they looked fine tho.

edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    I've been working on my entry for a while now.

There is already one great benefit. I've discovered the spline editor. It's really a great tool to easily create natural looking plant parts, in a far more versatile way than with the vertex editor.

Funny I've been working with Carrara for so many years while ignoring this tool :-).

hi Philemo, thanks for that hint.
    How are you working with them to make plants?
    is it to get complicated stems or for the leaves or both?

me too, I always ignore the spline room (I box model) but I notice a lot of Carrara content is from splines 0- so it must be quick and easy as you say.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

hi Philemo, thanks for that hint.
    How are you working with them to make plants?
    is it to get complicated stems or for the leaves or both?

me too, I always ignore the spline room (I box model) but I notice a lot of Carrara content is from splines 0- so it must be quick and easy as you say.

I've been working on flowers. I've been using spline modeling for stem, sepal, petals for flower buds, leaves.
    What I've liked is the natural looking curves that can be easily obtained, the rapidity of making geometry veins in leaves, indentation or undulations in petals and sepals.

One the general shape obtained, you just have to add points, smooth them and play with the control points to add details
    What I really like is that you can always come back, move, add or remove points, in an iterative way. It is coming close to procedural modeling in the good sense.
    I suppose Carrara must generate an awful lot of polygons on rendering time, but I can't know. It's supposed to be an adaptive generation based upon distance from the camera.

edited December 1969

ah thanks for that! I would never have considered modelling veins in leaves you know.
    The spline tool, you have convinced me to sit down and have a play with it!

Thank you :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Work in progress. Rough beginning. Everything modeled in Carrara. All of the textures are procedural and need a lot of work. Background was a landscape scene rendered with a spherical camera. I need to redo that so the ground matches the foreground grass. The trees on the distant mountain on the right were made by duplicating a terrain, applying the noise filter, and coloring it green. The grasses in the foreground are modeled grass blades and the surface replicator. The main tree in the foreground was made in the vertex modeling room. I made the trunk and branches separately, then applied the branches to the trunk using a surface replicator. Similarly, the leaves are vertex models applied to the branches with a surface replicator. The fruits are spheres. The gardener was modeled and rigged in carrara.

garden_draft_1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 46K
    edited December 1969

very cute image Diomede, the figure and tree have a naive art feel to them

I am still playing with that maze I did but using my flowering shrub mesh, transmapped ground cover drawn roughly in Gimp, some Carrara browser trees and far too many random volumetic clouds.
    the image on the background sphere is a 360 tiff of Mawson lakes South Australia I stitched from a panning video using Microsoft ICE
    free to download and use unrestricted https://www.box.com/s/bgy5lfzzby1yxjtft3ux
    I use a sphere without cast and receive shadows ticked for animation so I can translate my camera

mazy003.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

(grumble) Not getting notifications again.

Some interesting stuff going on.

I think I've about got a complete image. Spending tonight with postwork. I don't normally spend this much time on one image. You guys are making me work much too hard. :)

Later.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

I hope to improve each element of the image. Here is my attempt to improve the foreground tree. I've also made some dandelions to scatter through the grass. The grass and tree are not in proportion yet.

garden_tree_improved_1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 39K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    I hope to improve each element of the image. Here is my attempt to improve the foreground tree. I've also made some dandelions to scatter through the grass. The grass and tree are not in proportion yet.

Hey! The dandelions and the tree look great. The dandelions really add a bit of sparkle to it. And it's wonderful to see you building everything in Carrara - even the gardener :)

Thanks for posting the wips too .!

edited December 1969

I am still playing with that maze I did but using my flowering shrub mesh, transmapped ground cover drawn roughly in Gimp, some Carrara browser trees and far too many random volumetic clouds.
    the image on the background sphere is a 360 tiff of Mawson lakes South Australia I stitched from a panning video using Microsoft ICE
    free to download and use unrestricted https://www.box.com/s/bgy5lfzzby1yxjtft3ux
    I use a sphere without cast and receive shadows ticked for animation so I can translate my camera

Wendy, that looks pretty amazing. when I clicked on it filled my whole screen - it was like I was there :)
    So you just nicked up to Mawson Lakes on the long weekednd eh? Private helicopter? :)

edited December 1969

(grumble) Not getting notifications again.

Some interesting stuff going on.

I think I've about got a complete image. Spending tonight with postwork. I don't normally spend this much time on one image. You guys are making me work much too hard. :)

Later.

Much too hard? Now where is that whip ? :)

edited December 1969

err I mean "wip" :)
    one for Wendy

just mucking around and inspired by Wendy!

Untitled-1.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 246K
    edited December 1969

exported object with displacemnt map applied with a morphs and skinning ticked then reimport and use with a surface replicator
    100,000 objects!
    maze drawn while blindolfed - er blindfolded :)
    post work dogwaffle

maze.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 228K
    Doc4_Depth.jpg
    2000 x 1024 - 183K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Wow... I have a LOT of catching up to do. I have to go level in some flagstone right now, but it's supposed to rain all week - so I'll make sure that I put this and the (finally) submission of EnvironKits: Woodlands on the top of my priority list!
    For now:

diomede64 said:
    I need to redo that so the ground matches the foreground grass.
    I disagree with you having to redo it - but it's your tastes we need to please here. I think if you put just one more tree further back between the foreground scene and where it ends and the background starts, the difference in 'greens' looks ever so natural. What a beautiful job on everything going on in here - sweet! And the new one... yikes is that cool!

Andrew Finney... when you hired me to prune in your maze... and then you said that I would enjoy it better if you set me into the heart of it with a teleportation spell... you didn't say that you made no way to win the maze! So... how the heck do I get back out of here now?
    Very cool, my friend!

Wendy and the rest of you... I only saw that there are many more pages and links to peek at. I'll be back. This is looking very Very cool!
    Not sure if the rules allow for yet another change, but I just might have some sort of prize ready for all place winners here. I'm very proud of every entrant here.

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Wendy, that looks pretty amazing. when I clicked on it filled my whole screen - it was like I was there :)
    So you just nicked up to Mawson Lakes on the long weekednd eh? Private helicopter? :)
    I drive past it 5 days a week

edited June 2013

more from my WIP video
    (not sure if a video counts if not then these ARE my entries, more coming!)
    all plants modeled by me
    watering can and pail Carrara browser objects plus two dressed Genesis.

wm195.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    wm095.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    vegies120.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited June 2013

some more

maze_view.gif
    800 x 450 - 4M