Carrara Monthly Challenge: Fabulous Prizes! VOTING NOW OPEN!

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited May 2013

de3an wrote

head wax - 28 May 2013 06:17 PM
    I edited the first post to say

Edit 29th May to change voting restricted to Particpants - where a particpant is defined as “someone who makes an entry in the challenge.” Particpants may NOT vote for themselves.

The reasoning being to keep the voting retsricted to those who are interested in t his project enough to place an entry.
    If anyone thinks this is a stupid idea please let me know.
    The rules aren’t set in stone.

This doesn’t really make sense to me.

If five people submit entries and only those five people are allowed to vote, you’d end up with a tie every time.
    But if you can’t vote for yourself, and are forced to vote for your opponent, what is the point of entering?

I’d like to enter this contest, but plant creation is one of my weakest areas. So, I was going to sit this first one out. But I was still interested in voting. But now I can’t.

Hi evil and de3an, thanks for responding to that.
    Yes de3an, i t doesn't make sense if there are only five entrants.
    I admit I am hoping for a lot more as there are a few Carrara users round here ;)

But I will have to agree with you and leave the voting open!

so thanks, yes I hadn't really thought it through.

cheers!!

Oh if plant creation for you is a weak area (as it is mine) then it's a great idea to enter this challenge!!
    It's part of the reason to get involved - to improve your skills. I bet you will be surprised!

Post edited by Headwax on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Every park needs a water feature....

On this one I am not to sure about the colour on the fountain. It is meant to be glassed terracotta.

It also looks like I have to tile the inside of the fountain ring with glassed tiles..

So now its time to start creating some plants for the garden.
    I'm wondering if I'm going to make it until the deadline..:red:

Doc4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 455K
    edited December 1969

Hey Varsel, the water looks terrific. How are you making it? A vertex object?
    As far as the blue of the fountain, maybe there is two much ambient light in the scene and that is washing it out?
    If not you could always try a a little variation in the blue with an operator Mixer and noise as the blender....

I think the way you are going you will have it finished way before dead line! ")

cheers!

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Hey, Varsel. I'd like to know how you created the water as well.

Please. :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited May 2013

Well... First you need to model and UV one hydrogen atom, duplicate it, and then model and UV an oxygen atom, and group the hydrogen atoms and oxygen atom together. Name the group something you'll remember, such as H2O Group. Don't forget to consolidate your shaders!

Here's the tricky part: You could duplicate and group the H2O group many times until you have enough volume, or you could replicate them, but I'm not sure if Einstein or the Physics engine would cause Carrara to have a melt down.

Good Luck! Can't wait to see the render!

:-P :-P :-P :-P ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

Well... First you need to model and UV one hydrogen atom and then model and UV an oxygen atom, duplicate it, and group the hydrogen atom and the two oxygen atoms together. Name the group something you'll remember, such as H2O Group. Don't forget to consolidate your shaders!

Here's the tricky part: You could duplicate and group the H2O group many times until you have enough volume, or you could replicate them, but I'm not sure if Einstein or the Physics engine would cause Carrara to have a melt down.

Neither can I, I'd love to see someone try to make a water molecule with 2 oxygens and one hydrogen.

edited May 2013

hehe , they're coming thick and fast today, :)
    I think you get a big bang when you cram all those 02 molecules together :)

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Thank's folks..

The water was a little bit of experimenting...

First I modeled the fountain.

Duplicated that and used the duplicate as a foundation for the water.
    Modeled and shaped one of the "arms" then copy/paste/rotate and weld and cleanup. (this is were I missed Hexagon)
    Then added some ripples to the water. Bumps in the shader will help, but will not be enough.

Then I had a Eureka moment. When I tried to add a watershader, it didn't look right.
    I remembered a previous discussion about refraction in a glass bowl, so I added a second water object, reshaped it so there is a gap between the two, and reshaped the "arms" so they formed a tube.
    The water in the pond is done the same way.
    Its also nice to have something in the background to reflect in the water.
    The water shader is also quite simple.
    Colour to black. Transparency to 95%. Reflection to 50%.
    Absorption and In-Scattering under the Transparency Channel ; I'm not quite sure how they work, and how they affect the outcome, so they are borrowed from a premade watershader. :red:

So as you see, it's not actually nuclear physic, although when I was experimenting I it sure looked like it :-)

Doc5.jpg
    1204 x 561 - 328K
    wireframe.jpg
    900 x 470 - 236K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Thank's folks..

Modeled and shaped one of the "arms" then copy/paste/rotate and weld and cleanup. (this is were I missed Hexagon)
    Then added some ripples to the water. Bumps in the shader will help, but will not be enough.

Then I had a Eureka moment. When I tried to add a watershader, it didn't look right.
    I remembered a previous discussion about refraction in a glass bowl, so I added a second water object, reshaped it so there is a gap between the two, and reshaped the "arms" so they formed a tube.
    Absorption and In-Scattering under the Transparency Channel ; I'm not quite sure how they work, and how they affect the outcome, so they are borrowed from a premade watershader. :red:

So as you see, it's not actually nuclear physic, although when I was experimenting I it sure looked like it :-)

left - right

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

If you seek realistic mesh for liquids, I've found this pack most useful :

Liquid pack from Spacebones

It has fountains, waterfall and cascade meshes as well as bubble, splashes and whirls for the receiving part

edited May 2013

Hey thanks Varsel, very cool :) I am learning here :)

the duplicating the water was a Eureka moment/ !

and Philemo looks good, thanks for that head s up

edited December 1969

continueing on, a simplemesh elephant banged out today becomes a surface for surface replicator, use the same transmap for the replicator distributor and the displacement map , toon pro and other stuff for the rendering and post. I usually work in an 'illustrated style" if you are wondering :) Everything made in C except the placeholder fence and the sky pic

Untitled-2.jpg
    1542 x 937 - 289K
    Untitled-1.jpg
    1568 x 930 - 256K
    Doc1.jpg
    1000 x 706 - 206K
    Doc1_Depth.jpg
    1000 x 706 - 94K
    elphant1.jpg
    1000 x 821 - 302K
    edited December 1969

Well... First you need to model and UV one hydrogen atom and then model and UV an oxygen atom, duplicate it, and group the hydrogen atom and the two oxygen atoms together. Name the group something you'll remember, such as H2O Group. Don't forget to consolidate your shaders!

And I thought it was going to be hard. :)

edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Thank's folks..

Thanks, Varsel. Gotta love those Eureka! moments.

edited December 1969

Philemo said:

If you seek realistic mesh for liquids, I've found this pack most useful :

Liquid pack from Spacebones

It has fountains, waterfall and cascade meshes as well as bubble, splashes and whirls for the receiving part

Thanks. Was actually looking for those the other night. They have gotten lost somewhere in the jungle that is my hard drive. Glad to have them handy again.

edited December 1969

OK, I've started work on this. I was actually going to let this Challenge pass, but it gave me a good idea for my next fairy image (I'm working on a new fairy project, so I try not to let ideas pass by).

I used a product from Runtimedna called 'Forest Ruins' by Transpond for the base of this project. I also used Dimension Theory's Ecomantics to fill in the background.

I've used two Carrara plants for the bushes overhanging the pond. I also modeled a clump of grass in the Carrara's modeling room and replicated it. I used a plane for my object to replicate on. I shaped it to fit the space I wanted to fill...just to do something different.

The water shader is from one of Ringo's shader packs (I can't remember which one atm).

I also used a normal map on the brick wall to help brink it 'out' a bit.

More to come. This is more fun than I thought it would be. :)

wip_1.jpg
    750 x 600 - 80K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Neither can I, I'd love to see someone try to make a water molecule with 2 oxygens and one hydrogen.

It was late and past my bedtime. Besides, I was to busy being a smartass! :red:

edited December 1969

booksbydavid wrote

OK, I’ve started work on this. I was actually going to let this Challenge pass, but it gave me a good idea for my next fairy image (I’m working on a new fairy project, so I try not to let ideas pass by).

I used a product from Runtimedna called ‘Forest Ruins’ by Transpond for the base of this project. I also used Dimension Theory’s Ecomantics to fill in the background.

I’ve used two Carrara plants for the bushes overhanging the pond. I also modelled a clump of grass in the Carrara’s modelling room and replicated it. I used a plane for my object to replicate on. I shaped it to fit the space I wanted to fill…just to do something different.

The water shader is from one of Ringo’s shader packs (I can’t remember which one atm).

I also used a normal map on the brick wall to help brink it ‘out’ a bit.

More to come. This is more fun than I thought it would be. smile

Ahh looking like a great start David, welcome to the fray :) I'm glad you took up the challenge. It's a great opportunity to take Carrara for a run and give her head . The normal map on the brinks are really making them "pop". The overhanging bushes look kionda real - it's scary :)

Thanks for adding the details in what goes into the scene and how too.

looking forward to seeing where this goes of course!

PS and thanks for the heads up on that other software too.

cheers from the land of oz :)

edited May 2013

Here's another shot. I've changed the camera angle and adjusted the lighting a bit. I'll probably play with the lighting some more because I'm still not satisfied.

I've also added a nice big tree at the back. I've used one of the shaders from Holyforest's Barks'n Trunks shader pack. This is the first time I've attempted to add roots to a Carrara tree. The roots are all from a vertex cylinder that I used and abused to get the shape I was after. This experiment turned out much better than I expected. I think I'll be adding roots to my Carrara trees from now on. :)

I should also mention that all my leaf textures are from GKDantas' Real Leaf Megapack 2. Love that pack!

Oh, and you're welcome, Andrew. :)

wip_2.jpg
    750 x 600 - 82K
    Post edited by booksbydavid on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Not an entry, of course - just a flowering tree in the midst of evilproducer's Fantasy Village

3LTreeFVc85a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 788K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Here's another shot. I've changed the camera angle and adjusted the lighting a bit. I'll probably play with the lighting some more because I'm still not satisfied.

I've also added a nice big tree at the back. I've used one of the shaders from Holyforest's Barks'n Trunks shader pack. This is the first time I've attempted to add roots to a Carrara tree. The roots are all from a vertex cylinder that I used and abused to get the shape I was after. This experiment turned out much better than I expected. I think I'll be adding roots to my Carrara trees from now on. :)

I should also mention that all my leaf textures are from GKDantas' Real Leaf Megapack 2. Love that pack!

What a beautiful scene you've made, here. I agree about the roots - you should just ALWAYS makes and use them - they're really cool. I'll have to pick up that leaf pack. As a matter of fact, I recall wanting to buy his whole store last time I was in there.
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    continueing on, a simplemesh elephant banged out today becomes a surface for surface replicator, use the same transmap for the replicator distributor and the displacement map , toon pro and other stuff for the rendering and post. I usually work in an 'illustrated style" if you are wondering :) Everything made in C except the placeholder fence and the sky pic

Cool! Is that second image a depth map? Just curious. I'm also wondering what that rabbit is doing. Could he be the elephant's proctologist? :)

edited December 1969

What a beautiful scene you've made, here. I agree about the roots - you should just ALWAYS makes and use them - they're really cool. I'll have to pick up that leaf pack. As a matter of fact, I recall wanting to buy his whole store last time I was in there.

Thanks. When I was searching to find the name of the pack (I just use the stuff, I don't know what it's called:-), I realized that I DO have all of his products. Didn't even realize.

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Cool! Is that second image a depth map? Just curious. I'm also wondering what that rabbit is doing. Could he be the elephant's proctologist? :)

Hah hah :) yes the name of the pic is, "Wait! One false move and the Wabbit gets it"!

edited December 1969

great roots! I had a go last night and stuffed mine up :)

edited December 1969

Not an entry, of course - just a flowering tree in the midst of evilproducer's Fantasy Village

love the floating C :)

@David, yes that is a depth map.It's my new discovery I can use it in another places than an adjustement layer! :)

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Wonderful!!! I love the look and style. I get lost getting from a basic render to do something stylized like that. (ever thought of a tutorial of the process?)

edited May 2013

-_Milo_- said:
    head wax said:

Wonderful!!! I love the look and style. I get lost getting from a basic render to do something stylized like that. (ever thought of a tutorial of the process?)

thanks very much, sure I will do one , might take a while but yes it is doable!

more mucking around - the rocks via andy's explantion of build>organic (fill the poly first!)
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/7488/#98052
    some textures barks and trunks pack, like David forgot I had them!

plain render included

wip.jpg
    1200 x 1048 - 618K
    almost2.jpg
    1200 x 1048 - 580K
    edited May 2013

head wax said:
    -_Milo_- said:
    head wax said:

thanks very much, sure I will do one , might take a while but yes it is doable!

more mucking around - the rocks via andy's explantion of build>organic (fill the poly first!)
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/7488/#98052
    some textures barks and trunks pack, like David forgot I had them!

plain render included

Very nice!

If you're going to do a tute on how to get your look, then I think you need to do a quick one on depth maps. I've never been able to get the darn things to work. I've looked a few tutorials but everybody seems to do things differently, so in the end I'm just confused.

Also, thanks for the link. I never even knew there was such a thing as 'Construct Organic'. I'm going to have to check that out.

Just tried it. That was fun. I can do rocks now. How cool is that!!

Post edited by booksbydavid on
    edited December 1969

I had a bit of time today, so here's another go.

I've added another patch of replicated grass on the opposite side of the path. I don't think I'm happy with the grass shader. I'll probably go back and work on that. I also modeled a simple toad stool. I duplicated and resized it several times to get the grouping I wanted. I may add another group of toad stools somewhere at the front.

I'm not totally happy with the lighting. I've got a realistic sky going although you can't see it. I've got a sun light. I may add a sky light. I do NOT want to render this thing with GI. I'll be waiting until Christmas for it to render.

wip_4.jpg
    750 x 600 - 85K