Sad News - Passing of Wgdjohn

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited January 2018 in Carrara Discussion

I must report the passing of Wgdjohn, His niece posted a note in another thread.  I don't have the details, but I know that he had struggled with physical therapy following his fall.  He always managed to convey joy and wonder.  I miss him dearly.

See the recent post by his niece.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3220776/#Comment_3220776

and here is one of John's renders that UnifiedBrain references below and that JonStark had recently added to the current challenge discussion thread.

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited January 2018

I was afraid of this.

RIP John.  You certainly inspired me.  Very fitting that Jon Stark posted one of your best renders as an example in the current Challenge.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • I'm sorry to hear this. He is going to be sorely missed.  :(

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2018

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here and Below I will be Gathering some of John's Renders and Animations

Incompatible Time, Requirement, create image with anachronistic elements, and use the dynamic hair function.

John created the mohawk for the turkey (among other things).

Whoa, What?

edited January 2018

Marriage: Join Two Elements, create an image that combines two elements

Sword in the Stone

This render won one of the prizes for this challenge.

• Sword in Stone was always one of my favorites of his. :)

Carrara 9: Give us a Sign, 

Requirement, make a sign appropriate for the release of the next version of Carrara (9).

Caustics - requirement, make an image that shows light reflecting, or bending, or refracting, or...

InPrismed

The animated ball

This is one of my favorites of John's.  You have to click to play.

edited January 2018

Lighting - requirement - light the same scene in two different ways to convey two different moods.

Part 1

Part 2

edited January 2018

Here is one from John's gallery.  He made some notes about it.  I remember this one from the undersea challenge, but I didn't realize he had seen these creatures during diving trips to Florida and the Bahamas.

Here is what he says about it.  Make sure to read the back story part.

Description

Mysterys of the Sea

by wgdjohn ~Wilson Graphic Design~

Created a much better landscape. Modeled all tube sponges and cone sponges in the vertex room of Carrara. The brain coral is a simple sphere with a very complex shader which is based on wood but much much more. All my objects use procedural textures.

Products Used:
    Carrara 8.5 Pro, it's Landscape editor, Fog, vertex and texture rooms. The shells are the same Shell Formula with 2 different textures which come with Carrara.
    Fish are from Sea Life Pack 1 and Pack 2 and Trigger Fish from PC + Pack 2006-7
    Sea Life/fauna are from RDNA Kelplands Vol 3, Gardens Of Posiedon - Invertebrates also - Corals
    Primivol Fog available in Advance Pack. All are available from DAZ including Carrara of course.

Back Story:
    This is a composite of many dives I've made in the lower Bahamas and Florida. I've not seen or recall seeing some of the fish shown here who are stand-ins.This is just a sample scene representing only a few varieties of the fish and fauna seen on 1 dive.

Made with...

edited January 2018

Here is one of the collaborative short animations that John participated in.  See the credits at the end.  Click to play.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Sad news to wake up to... 

R I P John your contributions will be missed by all.

Here is another collaborative short animation.  In addition to modeling, John shares credits for the writing.  Click to play.

• Ahhhh, you are fantastic! Thank you so much, I recognize many if not most of these. Thanks for the help. I especially remember Mysteries of the Sea, When he was younger he loved to dive, even did underwater photography. I’ve heard many stories about it from him and my dad (his brother). 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

OMG! WGDJohn! 

My friend, your inspiration and enthusiasm shall last through the ages - and you are missed, and always will be. Rest in Peace, my friend!

Diomede, thanks for doing this for him... for us.

wgdjohnniece, my sincere condolences, and thank you for informing us.

edited January 2018

Here is another of my favorites from his challenge entries.  This one was for the Music for My Eyes challenge.  He won 2nd overall in this challenge.

edited January 2018

This one was for the They Only Come Out at Night challenge.  

Very sweet.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Oh no I am heartbroken!  He was always such an encouragement to me in my Carrara attempts, I enjoyed the conversations I had with him immensely. I am so very sorry, he will indeed be greatly missed!  Know that he will be remembered here and hopefully, the threads that he put so much learning and information on will continue to encourage people to learn how to use Carrara and how to model.

I've copied this from the other thread. I wanted to add that I would have given up on Carrara and modelling if not for his encouragement and his firm belief that I COULD do it.  I am greatful that I had the opportunity to get to know him just a bit through these forums, and I know there are plenty of other people here who feel the same.  He really was an inspiration to all of us.  I'm so sorry this happened.

OK, here is some comic relief.  This one is from the Killer Tomato challenge.  Yes, a Carrara content producer donated a free killler tomato model and we had to include it in our renders. 

edited January 2018

Here is another one with more commentary.  Sing to Me Muse.  The requirements for this challenge included indicating your muse for the image.  Here is how John described his muse for this image. 

What inspired this particular project?
    My choosen muse was Taylor Swift's song "Out of the Woods"... which fits with my modeling... I often feel it's lost in the the woods.  This project is no exception as I was frantically trying to fix an error I'd made to a primitive looking figure, the one that is red with one eye.  He has yellow shoes with dark brown soles... they are burried in the leaves along with most of his legs... oh well absolutely no time to fix and re-render.

Here is a render he did just as part of wishing everyone happy holidays.  He liked modifying the Vistas in the Clouds stuff.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

It is so sad to hear this, John was a great contributor to these discussions and a very active member of the forums.  His renders were always such fun. We are all part of the Carrara family and his loss will be felt by us all.

Love and condolences to the family.

edited January 2018

Here is another collaborative animation.  In the credits, you'll see John listed as a modeler.  I know he made the tombstone, and probably more.

This is one of my favorite posts of John's.  He talked about his introduction to computer art back in the day.

Sedum Bloom by wgdjohn

This was created on my Amiga 4060 Tower. I used ImageFX to tranform and composite at least 2 digital pictures. One is of some Sedum in my garden... the other is of another flower in my garden. Ran accross this image I'd worked on quite awhile back looks pretty kewl to me. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did creating it.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    Diomede said:

Here is one of the collaborative short animations that John participated in.  See the credits at the end.  Click to play.

love this one yes

John was always happy to help out

link to thread

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Very sad to hear of his passing! He will definitely be missed. 

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798

My condolences to family and friends.  He will be missed.

I did not really know John, but I loved going to his Modeling Objects In Carrara thread, and watch his development.  I wish I would have been more than a fly on the wall...

Thanks for sharing his renders.  I haven't seen a lot of them, but I remember the They Only Come Out At Night Challenge image.  I love that one.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

He and I had quite a run of behind-the-scenes conversations via PM. As Diomede shows, he was an inspiration. Great imagination and eager to ask about how he could get his imagination onto the screen. As he'd learn he'd always find ways to teach as well - discovering new ways to make things, light them, animate them, render them. So much fun!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

So sorry to hear of his passing! He will be missed.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I'm so sorry! Love and condolences to the family. He will be missed.