Sad News - Passing of Wgdjohn

Comments

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,411

Requiescat in pace, John.

Diomede said:

Here is another collaborative animation.  In the credits, you'll see John listed as a modeler.  I know he made the tombstone, and probably more.

This animation is funny.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

Miss you John, say hi to Cripeman for us and have some great renders waiting for us when we join you one day heart

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited January 2018

Very sorry to hear about this, prayers and condolences to his family.  He had a huge influence here in the forums, and I learned many things from his various threads.  Also his art style was quite beautiful.  As Diomede mentions, it was only a day or so ago that I was reposting his Sword in the Stone piece as one of my all time favs.  Huge loss for the Carrara community, very sad to hear about this, and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear this, this is very sad.... :(

John was so passionate and helpful and clever. Passion could have been his first name...

Rest in Piece. 

Hugs from Oz to his family.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,337

A warm vale to John and condolences to his family.

Will be missed, I always enjoyed reading his posts and admired his renders.

Another hugs from Oz to his family.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Oh no, that's very sad news.  I loved following his modelling threds and seeing the interesting things he was working on. He would always pass on any new techniques that he had learned (and sometimes the things that didn't work out so well too). We'll miss you, John.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,219

Sad news.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited January 2018
    PhilW said:

It is so sad to hear this, John was a great contributor to these discussions and a very active member of the forums.  His renders were always such fun. We are all part of the Carrara family and his loss will be felt by us all.

Love and condolences to the family.

I echo Phil's comment and made it bold.  I did not have much one-one interaction with him, but do remember that turkey and stop sign, WHOA!  He was enjoying getting into hair and that scene still makes me smile. 

Colour the skies with your starry art, John... your spirit will always be with us in the Carrara universe.

cryingheart  Silene in Bristol, England

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Really sad, shocking news,. Condolences to all

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2018

Here is his forum symbol 

Here is his banner

Just posting finished renders and animations just doesn't seem to adequately include John's enthusiasm and sense of community.  So here is an example of one of his modeling posts.  The post includes a example of how he would take a screenshot of his progress and type out the steps he was taking to make it as clear as possible what he was doing.  And he was always generous in his inclusion of others.  

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1937111/#Comment_1937111

wgdjohn post illustration.JPG
    1327 x 679 - 163K
    wgdjohn avatar.jpg
    145 x 138 - 36K
    wgdjohn banner.jpg
    1029 x 106 - 156K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Sorry to hear of his passing.

He was an insperation to us all especially with his enthusiasm for Carrara.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Very sad news - my condolences to his family, friends and loved ones.

His adventurous enthusiasm for exploring Carrara will be missed. 

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    SileneUK said:
    PhilW said:

It is so sad to hear this, John was a great contributor to these discussions and a very active member of the forums.  His renders were always such fun. We are all part of the Carrara family and his loss will be felt by us all.

I echo Phil's comment and made it bold.  I did not have much one-one interaction with him, but do remember that turkey and stop sign, WHOA!  He was enjoying getting into hair and that scene still makes me smile. 

Colour the skies with your starry art, John... your spirit will always be with us in the Carrara universe.

I'm incredibly bad at expressing my feelings at times like this. I think Phil and Silene said it so well.

He will be missed by his online Carrara community a great deal, I know I am very sad to learn of his passing. He was so helpful and had an infectious love for 3D and Carrara, a true delight and inspiration on the forums.

My heart felt condolences to his niece and family, who obviously loved him a great deal.

As many of my Native American friends had taught me ..... there is no good bye, only until we meet again. So with that in mind .... John, take care and safe journeys until we meet again.

Love and condolences from New Mexico.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    DustRider said:
    SileneUK said:
    PhilW said:

I think Phil and Silene said it so well.

He will be missed by his online Carrara community a great deal, I know I am very sad to learn of his passing. He was so helpful and had an infectious love for 3D and Carrara, a true delight and inspiration on the forums.

My heart felt condolences to his niece and family, who obviously loved him a great deal.

As many of my Native American friends had taught me ..... there is no good bye, only until we meet again. So with that in mind .... John, take care and safe journeys until we meet again.

Love and condolences from New Mexico.

+1 Well spoken!

Love and condolences from Wisconsin

• My heart is so full seeing all of this! Thank you all for the kind words and thank you for creating this thread! I cannot wait to show my dad, his brother, how much he meant to you all. You all meant so much to him as well. 

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

I'm sorry to hear this news. I lurk most of the time, but really appreciated John's enthusiasm and sense of humour.

Condolences to all his family from New Brunswick, Canada.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

Wow, this is shocking and very sad.

I always admired John's enthusiasm and loved all of his "everyone share your tricks and tips" type threads.

• Very sad,  my big condolences to the family and everyone who will miss WGDJohn,  which makes quite a lot of people around the world. His legacy is big. 

My greatest wishes to the soul of John, where ever you are buddy, I hope you will still be creating amazing things there too, hugs.  

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

'until we meet again' ...

i hope fortune is so gracious as to allow us that pleasure.

cheers wgdjohn. godspeed.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109

So sorry to hear about this!

Condolences to his family and friends.

Always enjoyed his posts.

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 303

I did not engage with him, but I'm sorry to hear about this. Its almost like losing family.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Would it be possible to sticky his modelling thread?  It has such a wealth of information it would be a darn shame to have it get buried.

I had just recommended the links post to answer a recent question.  Here is the thread being suggested.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1314116/#Comment_1314116

Would it be possible to sticky his modelling thread?  It has such a wealth of information it would be a darn shame to have it get buried.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

DONE

Thank you.

Chohole said:

DONE

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thank you Chohole

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332

So sad to hear that, I did interact before with John, we were talking in how to get better letter shapes by using smooth options, was a really nice guy, rest in peace.

My condolences to all of his familly and warm hugs from Mexico.

Otto

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

A thing what bothers me in this kind of media (forum), it is that one “speaks” with an avatar… I am from the old generation then, is it possible to see an image of the true WDJOHN?

• I don’t mind sharing a pic, I only have a million and ten ha He was a wonderful person with a great personality and sense of humor. Loved fast cars, photography at one point, scuba diving, amiga (for anyone who remembers that), and anything computer related just about, cooking, gardening. Lots to keep him busy since he retired young. He was not married and did not have kids, but his brother (my dad) being his only sibling, except my Uncle Sam who is a step brother from korea, meant that he took me and my brother under his wing and took care of us just as I imagine he would if he had his own kids. From helping us buy vehicles to paying for school. I owe most of my education to him which without I would not have my awesome career! Always owned red 2-door sports cars that I can remember haha his last being a cougar of all things. He enjoyed music and trying out new restaurants. That was always a favorite thing for me, going to dinner with my  uncle. Fun fact that still blows my mind that he never told me, my father did recently, my uncle owned a time share/lot in the BAHAMAS earlier in life because he went scuba diving there so much. He supported my love for ice skating by taking me to see Stars on Ice idk how many times until they stopped coming to St. Louis. It’s with great sadness that we had to say goodbye in the manner in which we did. He will be missed terribly. Thanks for all of your all’s support and condolences to you all, you all lost a friend as much as I lost an uncle. 

5E426697-37B1-4627-9D47-98CFAEF7F5BD.jpeg
    478 x 561 - 86K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

It sounds like he lived a full life and we shared a number of interests, some of which I didn't know about. We naturally tend to focus on computers and graphics here, but he was clearly much more than that. Thanks for sharing your memories. I often think of him when on the forum.