••••Carrara Freebie! Fantasy Village!••••

evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
edited June 2013 in Carrara Discussion

I'm making available a fantasy village environment.

The file is now available at my ShareCG account:
http://www.ShareCG.com/v/69697/view/5/3D-Model/Fantasy-Village-terrain

You can also DL it directly from my DropBox public folder (no account required):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7370483/Fantasy-terrain1.7.zip

I have included proxy buildings which are suggested locations for any buildings you wish to place in the scene. There are no buildings included! There are illustrated instructions on how to use the proxy buildings to easily place your own buildings in the Read-Me file.

The buildings I used in my scene renders are available for free. They were made by Dryjack and are available for free from his ShareCG account:
http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=JanglingJack

For more Carrara freebies and tutorials, go to the CarraraCafe Freepository:
http://carraracafe.com/forum-3/#cid=25

I've included a very detailed manual for the scene which explains some ways to optimize the scene as well as explanations on how certain scene features work. Please take a peek at it.

There's also a folder with light presets and one with objects that I made for the scene. Some don't load by default, but they're nice to have anyway!

The scene consists of the terrain with custom shader, two ocean primitives with custom shader, a dam group, cattails, Renaissance style tournament ground suitable for jousting, crumbled stone fenceing, custom RSE and volumetric cloud, three customized trees with custom shaders that use Carrara's own leaf shapes (no need to install leaves)!

Plus to help with building placement, I've included proxy buildings composed of simple primitives. Just drag whatever buildings you want from the Browser and drop them onto one of the building proxies to load your building in that spot. Some adjustment may be required.

The images posted contain no postwork for levels or color adjustment. I did paint out a poke through in the Jousting image, but that's it. No GI. Just my sunlight, custom light dome and a light to simulate reflected ground light.

overhead-small.jpg
800 x 800 - 845K
Fantasy_village3.jpg
2000 x 1500 - 3M
Jousting_copy.jpg
2000 x 1500 - 2M
Post edited by evilproducer on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I should add that the Dropbox link is a public link to the file. No registration or anything is required.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Rock on!

Fantastic work EP! (But you knew that I was going to say something like that)

edited December 1969

Thanks much Garstor!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

It's truly amazing when you can find a free download of this caliber. I have been beta testing this scene - which has now become a major setting within my story. He includes many ways to either reduce or increase render times - depending upon the effect you need. As some of you have seen already, he has put an enormous wealth of time, thought and shear love of artistry into this setting.

The really heart-warming event of this whole thing - is that evilproducer did this whole thing for YOU! That's right. If you are reading this - you recieving this amazing, complete scenery set was his intention - asa thank you to the entire Carrara community. This is because it's the entire Carrara community that makes this whole thing work. What a guy... What a lavish gift!

Thank you evilproducer!

edited May 2013

Thanks Dart! I think I'm going to blush! How are the animations coming?

Did I mention I made a kick-ass manual mis-labeled as a Read-Me file?

I know I'm posting it in a different manner, asking people here to click-through to the CarraraCafe's forum, but I wish to hopefully help generate a little traffic over there in recognition of the hard work Holly and the others have done to revamp it.

http://carraracafe.com/forum-3/?cid=24&show=281

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the support...! It is HUGE!!

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much for this! A very nice and cool gift!

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I wish I had your sticktuitivmess. I started on a ground for all the DAZ Old West buildings, then my head went in a different direction.

I got this downloaded last night, not sure if I'm going to get a chance to work with it today though.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

WOW :0

This is really generous of you,. I know this would have taken many hours / days / weeks of work,. so ,. thank you.

Does it work in DS ?

just kidding. :)

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

This is really generous of you,. I know this would have taken many hours / days / weeks of work,. so ,. thank you.

Does it work in DS ?

I don't know, though if Wendy tried she may be able to get it in iClone. ;-)

edited December 1969

BTW, Thanks for the nice comments everybody! If you have issues or I've done something that makes you go, hmmmm. Please let me know. This has been a learning experience for me, and I'm up for learning more.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

Though I haven't had time to download it yet - I just wanted to say thanks for your generosity EP!!! I'm looking forward to using it when I get a chance!!

• The Pencil NeckThe Pencil Neck Posts: 163
    edited December 1969

I've downloaded it but I haven't installed it or pulled it up.

Unfortunately... lunch ended and work began. :(

I'll try to play around with it and Luxus tonight.

edited December 1969

I've downloaded it but I haven't installed it or pulled it up.

Unfortunately... lunch ended and work began. :(

I'll try to play around with it and Luxus tonight.

You may have a few shaders to change. ;-) I tried to use mostly procedural shaders and some are rather complex. You may also need to get rid of the custom light rigs.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Yippee! Thanks so much Evil, :) You are very kind generous and good person. !
    And I;m not just saying that so I can pick your brains.
    ;)
    Can't wait to download it and ava play!

cheers from ere !

edited May 2013

Thanks head wax!

Here's one I rendered today. I wanted to use a black knight, but I think he's a little too dark in the scene. I may be able to adjust it in Photoshop, but for now, this is the straight render. The only thing I did was convert to jpeg.

BTW, I found the nifty tower on ShareCG:
    http://www.ShareCG.com/v/65142/view/11/Poser/A-medieval-tower

Edit: well, poop! I see that I forgot to turn soft shadows on. Looks like I'll want to re-render the image anyway. While I'm at it, I'll just move the rider forward into the sunlight.

Averting_Disaster_copy.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited December 1969

thx for the nice Scene EP
    Of course I will kill all your lovely lighting and settings if I do an animation :snake:

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

Does it work in DS ?

not as silly as it sounds
    I got Phil's English village http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQai82b_few and Howie Farke's tea garden http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djx2Sw5zTNM in minus plants, (used iClone plants) I just need to render billboards of the trees and use the grass tool that creates splats which face the camera and sway

edited December 1969

thx for the nice Scene EP
    Of course I will kill all your lovely lighting and settings if I do an animation :snake:

No problem Wendy! Break out the hatchet! ;-P

I did design a lower quality light rig to help with animations. I also tried to design the surface replicators so that you could toggle the visibility on or off when not in frame.

The time vampires in the scene are the water shader, the volumtric cloud in the sky and the hair on the cattails. The main sunlight also has soft shadows turned on by default, so you may want to turn it off. Check out the read-me file for more information!

edited December 1969

Thanks head wax!

Here's one I rendered today. I wanted to use a black knight, but I think he's a little too dark in the scene. I may be able to adjust it in Photoshop, but for now, this is the straight render. The only thing I did was convert to jpeg.

Edit: well, poop! I see that I forgot to turn soft shadows on. Looks like I'll want to re-render the image anyway. While I'm at it, I'll just move the rider forward into the sunlight.

Ho, great scene, thanks for the heads up on the tower!!

at the moment the rider is blending with the distant trees, maybe just render horse and rider separately and place some fog between them and the distance?

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

Does it work in DS ?

not as silly as it sounds
    I got Phil's English village http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQai82b_few and Howie Farke's tea garden http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djx2Sw5zTNM in minus plants, (used iClone plants) I just need to render billboards of the trees and use the grass tool that creates splats which face the camera and sway

I'll have to dig around a bit, but when I first started building the scene I toyed with the idea of using billboards or splats for the trees around the edge of the terrain. I didn't like the effect so I may have got rid of them. If not, I can put them up for anybody that wants them.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Thanks head wax!

Ho, great scene, thanks for the heads up on the tower!!

at the moment the rider is blending with the distant trees, maybe just render horse and rider separately and place some fog between them and the distance?

I moved the rider a bit forward into the sunlight. I'll see in a minute how I did. Thanks for the suggestion!

Wendy, bad news! I deleted the files I made for the tree billboards! Not sure why I did that. I usually save stuff like that in case I need it for something else.

edited December 1969

I will do my own using your trees if I use iC
    (prob more likely to just use it in Carrara though and render 360 BG's)

edited December 1969

I will do my own using your trees if I use iC
    (prob more likely to just use it in Carrara though and render 360 BG's)

Awesome! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

edited May 2013

I redid the image with the knight and dragon. The knight is still too dark. I'll need to fix the shaders. Here's the same image with postwork first, and without postwork in the second image.

Edited because the forum flipped the image order. Hasn't pulled that on me in a long time.

Averting-Disaster02-PW.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Averting-Disaster02no-PW.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited December 1969

looks much better!
    maybe I wide angle camera lens would help to silhouette the rider against the sky???

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Thank you Evil, just got it downloaded..

edited December 1969

my video
    no buildings, just the scene might add another day

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

thanks for the file - where do I go now

01where_do_I_go.jpg
    1240 x 930 - 151K
    edited December 1969

@Wendy: Nice job with the video! I see I forgot to reposition the banners and rings in the tournament grounds. They're rigged so that you can position them however you wish.

An FYI, the posts, rails, etc. are separate groups so that you can load them from the folder of objects I included. I know you like rendering spherical backgrounds for your renders, so you could do a render without the props, then stick it in a new scene and add the props back in on a shadow catcher.

@bigh: Nice render. I like the character.

So, are there any issues you all had with the scene? Anything that didn't work as expected?