••••Carrara Freebie! Fantasy Village!••••

Comments

• The Pencil NeckThe Pencil Neck Posts: 163
    edited December 1969

I keep meaning to load this up and take it for a test run... but I keep getting distracted by screwing around with stuff in Luxus.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

yes well I'm dieing to try this out, maybe this evening :(
    sorry evil

• IlenaIlena Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

I'm still a bit shocked that you basically gave this away for free. It looks like the stuff you might find in the store so-respect.*salutes*
    I'm going to play with it a bit and then send in the result and any problems that arise. Thank you ep.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

No need to apologize. Use it when you get the chance. Let me know what you like or dislike. If it's within my skill or doesn't require a complete redo, I'll see what I can do. If you make improvements yourself, I'd love to see them. I look at this as a learning experience.

edited December 1969

Well.

I've got a bit of a problem. Most stuff appeared to have loaded fine. The trees and clouds and jousting stuff looks great.

But the buildings? Not so much.

I loaded up a character I'm working on for another story and posed her before Camera 2. I added a couple of quick lights just to light her up but look at the building in the background.

Camera2_extraLights.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 581K
    edited May 2013

Well.

I've got a bit of a problem. Most stuff appeared to have loaded fine. The trees and clouds and jousting stuff looks great.

But the buildings? Not so much.

I loaded up a character I'm working on for another story and posed her before Camera 2. I added a couple of quick lights just to light her up but look at the building in the background.

Yeah. I was afraid of that. The Read-me provides a link to the buildings. I didn't make them and I'm not free to redistribute them. I should have made that more clear in my initial post. I can also add that to the read me right away. I apologize for the confusion and inconvenience.

The buildings are free and I didn't have to mess around with the shaders when I brought them into Carrara. They're designed for poser, so they're in a runtime structure. The doors open and you can move walls out of the way. The insides are even finished. Just add furniture and lights.

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=JanglingJack

The purpose of the proxy houses is that they're meant to be placeholders. Let's say you have a poser style building in your Content Browser. Load it into a scene, and then drag and drop the entire building's hierarchy into the Object Browser. This does a couple things:

1) If you drag the building from the Object Browser and drop it onto one of the proxy buildings on the set, it will load the building on that spot. Even if it's not one of the buildings I based the proxies on. Just delete the proxy objects. There are other advantages as well, which I list below.

2) Any changes or tweaks you've made to the model, such as shader adjustments will be saved. Even if you tweak them for Luxrender.

3) All morphs and rigging are preserved.

4) The building is saved in Carrara's native .car format, which will actually load faster than a Poser file.

5) You can even save custom characters this way. If you want them clothed, create a group or animated group with the character and their clothes and drag the entire group into the browser.

I should note that I could drag and drop the buildings directly onto the proxy houses directly from the Content browser, but they would load at the building's default origin and not on the proxy house they were dropped on.

Again, sorry for any confusion! I will update the first page of this thread to reflect the buildings are not included, and provide a link. I will also update the Read-me file included with the scene.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

BTW, That is some fabulous lighting on your figure that really compliments the colors on the figure's clothes!

edited December 1969

Just playing around trying to find a good night setting for various aspects of the scene, such as the clouds, atmosphere and lights. Still working on it.

Fantasy_terrain1.6_Night_.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 146K
    edited December 1969

wow, windows look good, at first I thought you were buning the place down ;)!

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

evil, dude, what's with the lighting? That is a fairly complex lighting rig there. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just quite a bit more then what I am used to working with. :D

I'll get back too this shortly. That lighting just kinda freaked me out a bit lol I'm fairly certain I have all the buildings, and know where they are at {maybe}. But I am going to have to hide some stuff to make the scene workable to load the buildings to it.

And one of these days we all going to have to share notes on render settings lol I've basically taught myself how to stage in carrara, so when I see how some one else does it I just sort of go WTH? lol

Except for Fenric. I mean I only have the one freebie snow scene, but out side of him using back drop models; I'm not much for back drops because it limits my camera angles, he sets a scene up quite similar to me; or I to him. lol Probably both read the same tutorials. ;)

Well guess it's time to get all midevil on carrara lol

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    evil, dude, what's with the lighting? That is a fairly complex lighting rig there. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just quite a bit more then what I am used to working with. :D

I'll get back too this shortly. That lighting just kinda freaked me out a bit lol I'm fairly certain I have all the buildings, and know where they are at {maybe}. But I am going to have to hide some stuff to make the scene workable to load the buildings to it.

And one of these days we all going to have to share notes on render settings lol I've basically taught myself how to stage in carrara, so when I see how some one else does it I just sort of go WTH? lol

Except for Fenric. I mean I only have the one freebie snow scene, but out side of him using back drop models; I'm not much for back drops because it limits my camera angles, he sets a scene up quite similar to me; or I to him. lol Probably both read the same tutorials. ;)

Well guess it's time to get all midevil on carrara lol

Hey ManStan, glad you're having fun with it. Sincerely, if there's something that you don't care for, go ahead and change it or remove it. I look at scenes such as this as starting points. I know with Howie's snow scene, I played around with it quite a bit to see what he did and how he did it. The guy's a master at what he does. If I can get just half as good at what he does I feel I will have accomplished something.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Thank you. Just downloaded this now. Looking forward to some jousting scenes, yes!

edited December 1969

Well I just downloaded this and I'd like to say one word.

It's fantastic! (I know that's two and a half words)
    Even the user manual is super professional - nice work - Daz might hire you to write the Carrara manual

:) fingers crossed.

really superb stuff.

thanks!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited June 2013

I beta-testing early iterations of this for EP. But I haven't had a chance to sit down and do a "real" render with it. So that's my goal for today (unless my customer decides to wake-up and start screaming again...).

Now to get Jangling Jack's buildings...

EDIT: Corrected artist's name...sorry Jack...

Post edited by Garstor on
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys. Hope you like it! Any issues let me know. If it's in my power to fix it, I'll see what I can do!

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited June 2013

Thankks for this great set

Here is a render i just finished incorporating some medieval buildings from my Docks set.

V4 aka Battle Maiden doing her stuff . Not the best camera angle though.

Battle_Maiden_Fantasy_Village_1.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 143K
    Post edited by 0oseven on
    edited December 1969

Two-handed sword attack!?! She has impressive leg strength of the willpower of g_ds! :-)

I'm working on a scene myself using EP's terrain. Hopefully will be post-worthy soon.

(BTW, am I the only one seeing the smiley graphics as empty boxes...like the forum software has forgotten where they are located?)

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

(BTW, am I the only one seeing the smiley graphics as empty boxes...like the forum software has forgotten where they are located?)

You are not alone.

edited December 1969

The village is in trouble but Rosie and Dart are still miles away by horseback! A difficult decision is made...summon the Ancient Guardian.

It will no doubt demand some sacrifices for the intervention...

Ancient Guardian was created in Sculptris and tweaked slightly in Carrara. The nature staff is my own creation; it began in LightWave, went into Sculptris and then tweaked in Carrara. Vickie's outfit is Courageous and her hair is Tatiana.

Water_Spirit.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Great renders!

@0oseven: Nice choice of buildings! I like the camera angle actually. You can almost feel the Knight and her steed building up speed!

Did you turn off shadows? If you don't want the soft shadows on the main sunlight, you just need to un-check the checkbox under soft shadows. If you select None, you won't get any cast shadows. Don't know if this is the issue, but when I was learning Carrara and about soft shadows in particular, I did it myself a couple times. Confused the crap out of me. If you want a soft shadow look without the render hit, a shadow buffer may be the way to go. I usually leave it at it's default bias, but turn the buffer up to 1024 or 2096 (or whatever the numbers are).

Hey Garstor, love the water elemental. Neat idea! Like the water shader! If I may, the woman needs to be highlighted somehow. Maybe a spot light or some other light to simulate magical energy?

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Evil
    Thankyou for comments.I'm only just getting into renders so all constructive advice/criticism is welcomed and taken on board.

The low angle is what i intended but positioning had the rail block out some features of the buuilding like hanging baskets of flowers which would have added some colour.
    Actually I had deleted the skydome and used a backdrop - as for shadows i think they were on but I dont know too much about the buffer suggestion - something for me to investigate. Most of the time was spent positioning V4 on the horse ( thank god for the strong thighs !) and getting some light on the face and sword.
    This Terraine will give me so much pleasure as so much can be done with it. It it suits my medieval interest.

Is there a way of chopping up theterraine three parts - i imagine it would be rare to render all of what gets loaded - so if you just wanted the jousting section would it help resources just to load that section somehow /

Your smiley didn't show up by the way.

edited December 1969

Hey Garstor, love the water elemental. Neat idea! Like the water shader! If I may, the woman needs to be highlighted somehow. Maybe a spot light or some other light to simulate magical energy?

Thanks! I definitely wanted to light Vicky a bit better and position her more in the middle of the scene...but moving objects around was excrutiatingly painful -- even on this server.

Maybe I need a better video card?

edited June 2013

0oseven said:
    Evil
    Thankyou for comments.I'm only just getting into renders so all constructive advice/criticism is welcomed and taken on board.

The low angle is what i intended but positioning had the rail block out some features of the building like hanging baskets of flowers which would have added some colour.
    Actually I had deleted the skydome and used a backdrop - as for shadows i think they were on but I dont know too much about the buffer suggestion - something for me to investigate. Most of the time was spent positioning V4 on the horse ( thank god for the strong thighs !) and getting some light on the face and sword.
    This Terraine will give me so much pleasure as so much can be done with it. It it suits my medieval interest.

Is there a way of chopping up theterraine three parts - i imagine it would be rare to render all of what gets loaded - so if you just wanted the jousting section would it help resources just to load that section somehow /

Your smiley didn't show up by the way.

None of the smiley's are showing up lately! ;-)

You can hide the visibility of things like the various replicators. I designed them to be modular. Also, any props you don't want can be deleted. So, if you don't want the dam and it's group of objects, select the dam's group in the instances list and hit the delete key. The same for the stone walls. You can even delete the replicators if you want. If you Save As and save with a different file name you don't have to worry about overwriting the original scene file.

If you want just the terrain and shader, you can select the terrain and drag that to whatever directory you wish in the Objects Browser.

Beginning on page 14 of the Read-Me file, there is a description of the replicators. The following pages provide maps of which replicators are which.

Beginning on page 24, I describe a fairly simple method of setting up the terrain so that the scene's working grid (the zero point of the scene's universe) is centered on the Tournament grounds.

Picture_2.png
    721 x 931 - 129K
    Picture_1.png
    721 x 929 - 123K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited June 2013

Now how on earth did I miss this the past several days. This looks great. Can't wait to play with it.

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited June 2013

OK, unzipped the FantasyTerrain folder and dropped it into the Scenes folder in Carrara, and then added it to the Scenes tab in the Object Browser.

I loaded up the scene and it only asked for the location of one of the files. I haven't played with it much, and the default render size is small, but I thought it looked pretty good, though I opened it in Photoshop and added a Curve adjustment layer just to brighten it up a little. When I have time to play with it, I'll try playing with the lighting, etc.

Oh, and I didn't bother replacing the placeholder buildings for this quickie render. Be sure to click to see it un-fuzzy.

FantasyTerrain1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 270K
    Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    OK, unzipped the FantasyTerrain folder and dropped it into the Scenes folder in Carrara, and then added it to the Scenes tab in the Object Browser.

I loaded up the scene and it only asked for the location of one of the files. I haven't played with it much, and the default render size is small, but I thought it looked pretty good, though I opened it in Photoshop and added a Curve adjustment layer just to brighten it up a little. When I have time to play with it, I'll try playing with the lighting, etc.

Oh, and I didn't bother replacing the placeholder buildings for this quickie render. Be sure to click to see it un-fuzzy.

Have fun!

Can you tell me what Carrara asked for?

edited June 2013

Miss B said:

Have fun!

Can you tell me what Carrara asked for?
    I'm pretty sure it asked me to locate the FT-Upper-Left-Tree-distr.jpg.

Since I had looked through all the folders to see what was what before moving the whole unzipped folder into the Scenes folder, I knew exactly where to look for it.

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

yes, same thing happened to me, but everything is so well marked in directort names etc was simple to find
    nice work evil

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046
    edited December 1969

ditto but I found it straight away
    I still get that with many Carrara files and Poser and Daz studio ones too I might add.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Thank you - this looks lovely!