Do You Have the Time - Carrara Challenge #39 WiPs Thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Mistara said:

wip  pt 1

my 1st attempt at a skooma bottle, quads bottom.

wasted hours cutting seams to unfold.  rara's cylinder projection mapping, shoulda done in the st place >.<

working title: Time in a Bottle

wip part 2 - Time in a Bottle

added tickness to skooma bottle, destroyed ucmap ofcourse.

to make the bottom quads, 1st i inserted an oval to use as a guide

inserted a grid over it, then moves the verts of the grid to line up with the oval verts, then deleted the oval.
    used dynamic extrude to build up the bottle (shift+H).  prolly shouldnt need so many polys

i tried to put the native content solar system in the bottle  >.<  settled for just saturn and jupiter
    eclipse sky preset
    bottle label is frogbelly shader presetsmiley ribbet

light effect = pulsator

ocean shader is the one taught in the cafe tutorial

the text primitive has 20 shader domains for the sides, i couldnt figure a way to merge all those sides into 1 shader domain.?

ch39 grid on top of oval, quad oval guides.PNG
    1828 x 675 - 230K
    ch39wip2.JPG
    1221 x 592 - 72K
    ch39wip.JPG
    2160 x 1012 - 236K
    ch39-time in a bottle.png
    1280 x 1534 - 1M
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    Mistara said:
    Mistara said:

the text primitive has 20 shader domains for the sides, i couldnt figure a way to merge all those sides into 1 shader domain.?

very cool idea Misty... 

with the shade domains what I do is first convert the text to a vertex model

then in the modeling room select  Selection--->Select By--->Shading Domain

usually the front of the text model is named front face 1 -- choose that

then invert the selection and give it a new domain name

done yes

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Stezza said:
    Mistara said:
    Mistara said:

very cool idea Misty... 

with the shade domains what I do is first convert the text to a vertex model

then in the modeling room select  Selection--->Select By--->Shading Domain

usually the front of the text model is named front face 1 -- choose that

then invert the selection and give it a new domain name

done yes

Thanks!!  workflow shortcuts heart

edited April 2018

Into the final week.....

if you haven't then start posting your WiPs and entries before it's too late smiley

Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited April 2018

sorry to be not around, I've been spending all my days in the painting studio

hjere's another from me - its two renders combined - the first was mainly lighting by cuastic and I threw a Primovol fog in - the central kid was in a big glass speher and I shaded that with Digital Carvers glass shaders but it wasn't showing the kid clearny enough so I rendered hm out again and used Fenric;s tree duplicate to get another two kids ....

lots of post work I used an object pass to isolate the three kids so I could work on them in post, used Ron's brushes and a cloud pic I took

plaguedoctThreeKidsnopostr.jpg
    1667 x 2000 - 419K
    plaguedoctonopost.jpg
    1667 x 2000 - 2M
    setup-2.jpg
    2545 x 1406 - 1M
    setup1.jpg
    2536 x 1413 - 1M
    plaguedocto2r.jpg
    1667 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    Mistara said:
    Mistara said:

wip  pt 1

my 1st attempt at a skooma bottle, quads bottom.

wasted hours cutting seams to unfold.  rara's cylinder projection mapping, shoulda done in the st place >.<

working title: Time in a Bottle

wip part 2 - Time in a Bottle

added tickness to skooma bottle, destroyed ucmap ofcourse.

to make the bottom quads, 1st i inserted an oval to use as a guide

inserted a grid over it, then moves the verts of the grid to line up with the oval verts, then deleted the oval.
    used dynamic extrude to build up the bottle (shift+H).  prolly shouldnt need so many polys

i tried to put the native content solar system in the bottle  >.<  settled for just saturn and jupiter
    eclipse sky preset
    bottle label is frogbelly shader presetsmiley ribbet

light effect = pulsator

ocean shader is the one taught in the cafe tutorial

great concept and nicely delivered - congrats ! (not sure about the shader domains - maybe just delete them in the shader instance tab

or in the mesh room select them all then make them all the one domain via the global tab (over on the right)

ha ha I just found this from 2008 - I think I modelled it all - so long ago cant recall 

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Mistara said:

Terrific, Misty!

edited April 2018
    head wax said:

Another ho-hum work of genius.

:)

Thanks for all of those details.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 246
    edited April 2018

Hi there, i'm working in two scenes, this is the first one, a battle betwen fantasy and sci fi. Nobody knows if was science, or magic, but a time portal has made a connection between the past and the future. 

work.jpg
    1657 x 848 - 603K
    work2.jpg
    1651 x 837 - 670K
    Post edited by namtar3d on

I think them dragons are gonna be toast! surprise

namtar3d said:

Hi there, i'm working in two scenes, this is the first one, a battle betwen fantasy and sci fi. Nobody knows if was science, or magic, but a time portal has made a connection between the past and the future. 

Very imaginative, Namtar!  Great setting.  Always glad to see you entering.

A bit of postwork:

Products used:

Winter Castle from Stonemason

How to do?:  Well, the time portal was made using a custom mesh and surface replicator for volumetric clouds.   

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    head wax said:

hjere's another from me - its two renders combined - the first was mainly lighting by cuastic and I threw a Primovol fog in - the central kid was in a big glass speher and I shaded that with Digital Carvers glass shaders but it wasn't showing the kid clearny enough so I rendered hm out again and used Fenric;s tree duplicate to get another two kids ....

lots of post work I used an object pass to isolate the three kids so I could work on them in post, used Ron's brushes and a cloud pic I took

Every time I see your work I'm bowled over.  Just true art, man, and I say that as someone who has no appreciation or understanding of real art (lol, I guess that may denote any compliments from me aren't worth much).  I've been trying to play forum catch up and just watched the video of your methodology that you posted over in the renders thread, wow now I know what headwax looks and sounds like (he has a slight Australian accent for those who don't know :)  )  I'll finally have an actual voice to put to the dry sardonic wit that I appreciate so much in the forums.  Really impressed by the depth of your knowledge of classical artists that I admit I've never heard of (which says nothing about those artists reputations, as I still think Michelangelo, Donatello, Rafael and Leonardo are Ninja Turtles).  Beautiful colors and entrancing theme, very eye catching, great work!

edited April 2018
    namtar3d said:

When I was just a kid, I used to cut class and sneak over to the public library, where I would waste away my days reading pulp sci-fi and fantasy.  Nowadays... not much has changed  :)  One of my early favorites was by Roger Zelazny, called 'Changeling' (ha, you thought I was going to say 9 Princes in Amber, but I fooled... yeah, ok, I love the Amber series too..) and it was the story of two boys switched at birth into 2 different worlds.  One was a Technologist, the other a Sorceror, and eventually it culminated in the two young men going to war against each other and a bit of a tragic ending.  I loved this book all out of kilter to its quality (thinking back I don't know that it would stand up as well to a re-read now) and since then the theme of sci-fi vs fantasy has been done a lot (and sadly not done as well) but as a kid this idea just captivated me and made my heart race.

I mention this because your render makes me feel the same as that book did back then, what a wonderfully vibrant and action-filled image, I freakin' love it!  :)  Great work, love the portal and the ships flying out, one of the most fun renders I've seen in ages, thanks for taking me back to the wonder years of my childhood.  :)

Post edited by Jonstark on
    Mistara said:
    Mistara said:

A great idea, easy to understand visually and looks excellent, good one Misty!

Stezza said:

I have an intermittent internet fault ... keeps dropping out on me... makes it hard to get anything online..

anyways here goes......................... 

This one made me chuckle, and then I realized it was even more clever than I originally thought.  Everyone knows Dr Who is a Time Travel romp, but one might tend to forget that Austin Powers has some time travel too!

namtar3d said:

Thank you very much! 

head wax said:

A very complex and beautiful work! 

To be honest, I was never a huge fan of time travel, as it's almost always used as a narrative 'cheat'.  But then again one of the novels that hugely impacted me as a kid was Alfred Bester's 'The Stars My Destination'.  Not sure how I would ever make a render out of it though...

namtar3d said:

A bit of postwork:

Products used:

How to do?:  Well, the time portal was made using a custom mesh and surface replicator for volumetric clouds.   

Dang, while I was commenting on the original, you went and posted an even better version!  Love the flames and the colors, really works.

Jonstark said:
    namtar3d said:

When I was just a kid, I used to cut class and sneak over to the public library, where I would waste away my days reading pulp sci-fi and fantasy.  Nowadays... not much has changed  :)  One of my early favorites was by Roger Zelazny, called 'Changeling' (ha, you thought I was going to say 9 Princes in Amber, but I fooled... yeah, ok, I love the Amber series too..) and it was the story of two boys switched at birth into 2 different worlds.  One was a Technologist, the other a Sorceror, and eventually it culminated in the two young men going to war against each other and a bit of a tragic ending.  I loved this book all out of kilter to its quality (thinking back I don't know that it would stand up as well to a re-read now) and since then the theme of sci-fi vs fantasy has been done a lot (and sadly not done as well) but as a kid this idea just captivated me and made my heart race.

I mention this because your render makes me feel the same as that book did back then, what a wonderfully vibrant and action-filled image, I freakin' love it!  :)  Great work, love the portal and the ships flying out, one of the most fun renders I've seen in ages, thanks for taking me back to the wonder years of my childhood.  :)

I growed up with a lot of sci-fi and fantasy movies, comics and books. I used to draw raptors fighting xenomorphs in the school, dragons in majestic castles (well, i tried), spaceships fighting against giant monsters, etc. Today i'm writing 3 books, 2 of sci-fi and 1 of fantasy/sci-fi. Always is good to know people that enjoys this stuff :D

Thanks for that kindful comment!

head wax said:

Another ho-hum work of genius.

:)

Thanks for all of those details.

ha ha thanks, sorry about all the typos - I think I was rushing somewhere ... sounds like my life... :)

namtar3d said:
    namtar3d said:

Thank you very much! 

head wax said:

A very complex and beautiful work! 

thank you very much Namtar3d :)

Jonstark said:
    head wax said:

Every time I see your work I'm bowled over.  Just true art, man, and I say that as someone who has no appreciation or understanding of real art (lol, I guess that may denote any compliments from me aren't worth much).  I've been trying to play forum catch up and just watched the video of your methodology that you posted over in the renders thread, wow now I know what headwax looks and sounds like (he has a slight Australian accent for those who don't know :)  )  I'll finally have an actual voice to put to the dry sardonic wit that I appreciate so much in the forums.  Really impressed by the depth of your knowledge of classical artists that I admit I've never heard of (which says nothing about those artists reputations, as I still think Michelangelo, Donatello, Rafael and Leonardo are Ninja Turtles).  Beautiful colors and entrancing theme, very eye catching, great work!

thanks so much, that's very kind!! :) I learnt that if I am going to speak about a work I really need to know what it's called - eg "The Luncheon The Grass by Manet" sounds much better than: 'err, you know the one,  that Manet painting with the naked chick and the two bloked in suites sitting in the grass having a petite something"  Unfortunately I forgot I Had an ugly side while doing the interview ;)

namtar3d said:

A bit of postwork:

Products used:

wow , that is super cool, good to see post work being used for good and not evil :)

edited April 2018

a couple more for fun smiley

Where does the time go

&

Time Machine

Where does the time go.jpg
    800 x 600 - 418K
    Time Machine.jpg
    800 x 600 - 443K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    Jonstark said:

To be honest, I was never a huge fan of time travel, as it's almost always used as a narrative 'cheat'.  But then again one of the novels that hugely impacted me as a kid was Alfred Bester's 'The Stars My Destination'.  Not sure how I would ever make a render out of it though...

Stezza said:

a couple more for fun smiley

Where does the time go

&

Time Machine

I liker very much the first one! I remember the solar system movement: https://m.9gag.com/gag/ar43105?ref=android.s ;

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited April 2018

Sorry I haven't been commenting on everyone's work  - it's all so awesome. I am always blown away at the quality and how quickly you all produce your art.
    If I manage to actually finish this entry it will an homage to the game 'Ultima II: The Revenge of the Enchantress'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_II:_The_Revenge_of_the_Enchantress

I have been struggling working on the Hero inspired by the original cover art.  Below are a few of the WIPS. I know he has some issues, especially his lumpy hands, lol, but I want to actually create a scene so I'll deal with that if time permits.  laugh

hero7_render.jpg
    640 x 706 - 19K
    hero7_1.jpg
    516 x 930 - 96K
    hero7_2.jpg
    790 x 845 - 93K
    hero7_model.jpg
    653 x 902 - 134K
    hero7_bones.jpg
    701 x 772 - 92K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Great work, everyone.  Sorry haven't been around more to contribute.  Looks like I will either have enough time to finish a Planet of the Apes image or some sort of animation, but not both.  Meanwhile, here is a link to some folks who were able to combine Planet of the Apes and animation in one awesome video.

https://youtu.be/JlmzUEQxOvA

@DesertDude - excellent resemblance of your custom character to the reference.  The hands have gloves so you are being harder on yourself than need be.  I keep going back and forth between modeling in the A pose or the T pose.  I think the A results in better bending in the most common poses.

@Stezza - you have so many great inspirational images in the thread that it is hard to know where to start.  I move that you be Proconsul of the Challenges for an entire year!

@Namtar3D - now that is time travel.  The effects for the lasers and the dragon flames work extremely well.  The whole render really gives a great sense of energy.

@Headwax - another one of your images that I could spend hours and hours with.  So many little details yet the focus is still clear.  Amazing as always.

@Mistaa - Time in a Bottle - Have to say this may be my favorite of yours, which is saying a lot.  And I say that even though you ignored my suggestion on modeling the bottom of a bottle.  wink

Sorry for not going back further than this page.  Just pressed on time.

edited April 2018

I had an initial idea of how to (start) lighting this, but now I am experimenting with lighting using GI with a Background Gradient, thanks to a recent post by Selina in the 'Post Your Renders - Let's Rock 2018 thread'. Not sure where this is going, but eventually, irrespective of lighting choices, there will be 'rippling time' effects emanating from 'Shadowguard', Minax's castle, in the background. I know, I'm running out of TIME!!

The diamond pattern in the Time Door is itself an homage to the Moon Gates in Ultima III, the next adventure in the series. If I remember correctly those doors had an animated cascading diamond pattern, and I thought they looked cool. 

So I used a flat plane with a 'Checkers' Pattern Function in the Glow channel and also put the same pattern in the alpha channel and maneuvered that into the frame of the Time Door. To make the diamonds, I rotated the UV map - with unexpected success. For that same slab of geometry I added an 'Aura' effect from the Effects Tab and dialed in some glowing aura.

The trees have dedicated lights.

The figure is not even posed yet.

This will all change. 

WIPS Renderings.jpg
    1000 x 700 - 65K
    diamond_pattern.jpg
    981 x 535 - 91K
    rotated_uv.jpg
    751 x 566 - 32K
    Diomede said:

@DesertDude - excellent resemblance of your custom character to the reference.  The hands have gloves so you are being harder on yourself than need be.  I keep going back and forth between modeling in the A pose or the T pose.  I think the A results in better bending in the most common poses 

Thanks Diomede.
    Without much experience I think it depends...on the model?
    But yes, using the 'A' pose this particular model had less distortion moving the limbs up and down, up to a certain point of course.

Also thanks for your thread on Rigging, your tips on how to add/subtract weights to certain bones, and links to other threads and tutorials.

Cheers All!

edited April 2018

​Last one for a while

wip_3_web.jpg
    780 x 546 - 91K