Do You Have the Time - Carrara Challenge #39 WiPs Thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Diomede said:

Thank you for the suggestions and feedback.

Excellent animation, @3DAge - hope you enter it.  Really shows an aspect of Carrara that rarely makes it to the challenge entry threads.

@UnifiedBrain - the series is excellent.  plus, with product placement, can pick up some extra on the side.  laugh

@Shlomi - love the camera angle. great idea.  really brings back some memories.

Here is the current status of my Planet of the Apes project.  I used the GMIC filter for film with the pro neg hi preset

and here is the image after some filter forge love and a little photoshop compositing

Galen? is that yoo? 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited April 2018
    Mistara said:
    Diomede said:

and here is the image after some filter forge love and a little photoshop compositing

Galen? is that yoo? 

Thanks, Misty,  Here is a closer look.

galen question mark.jpg
    736 x 695 - 461K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited April 2018
    Selina said:

Thanks Selina.  It's a planned series in the early stages.  I don't think that you were posting in the forums when I did the first one.

No I wasn't - but thanks for sharing the link - it's a fantastic composition... Love V4's face and look of determination. Beautifully observed UnifiedBrian.

Thanks again!

Jonstark said:

Wow, stellar work UB, it's incredible to think it was all done in Carrara with no postwork!

Thank you Jon.  It's incredible to me as well.  You know, I sometimes wonder if I am making much progress in Carrara.  My skillset is so small compared to many here.  But after doing the first SCWarrior render several months ago - which for me was impossible without postwork - I seem to now have enough knowledge to get the job done with Carrara alone.  There are probably two main reasons for this.  First, is that I do a lot of nonpostworked renders, just to better learn Carrara.  And second is Philemo's G'MIC plugin.  Can't praise it highly enough for basic filtering.  I wish that he would do a Mac version so everyone could join in the fun.

Enjoyed your piano render, btw! smileyyes  The slight motion blur added a lot.  I remember that someone here - maybe Pnewhook? - wanted to have a Challenge where we all explored various ways to make an object look like it was moving.  Seems to be a good idea to me, as I am clueless.

Diomede said:
    @UnifiedBrain - the series is excellent.  plus, with product placement, can pick up some extra on the side.  laugh

Haha, thanks Diomede. 

Your 'willing to try anything" approach to life is my inspiration when I get stuck and start to feel sorry for myself.

Very creative POTA renders.  Brings back some good memories. :)

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

me & the wife will be roadtripping seeing our kids and grandkids on Monday so I have extended all the times by 24 hours .... 

Lucky I have my time machine to do it yes

sometime TUESDAY is the new day cool

Diomede said:
    Mistara said:
    Diomede said:

Galen? is that yoo? 

is that a twitter handle inscribed on his chest.... can't quite read it  

edited April 2018
    Stezza said:
    Diomede said:

is that a twitter handle inscribed on his chest.... can't quite read it  

LOL - the inscription is done entirely with a bump map, and it is just some random font characters.  Same with the arm patch.

gg01 bump for cornelius.JPG
    679 x 698 - 41K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    Diomede said:
    Mistara said:
    Diomede said:

Galen? is that yoo? 

Looks great Diomede, but is that a bit of poke-through showing on the left shoulder ?

edited April 2018

Poke through?

Nah, it is bird droppings, which is what drew his attention to look up.  wink

Thanks for pointing it out.  I knew there was a reason I set aside that arrangement initially.  With the time extension, I can fix it.

edited April 2018

Updated

galen question mark 2.jpg
    736 x 695 - 459K

didn't see that coming...

R I P MiniMe 

Maybe some unconscious precognition?

Whatever, sad to hear.

edited April 2018

Old soldier, time to come home.

Something different from me.  All characters are M3, hands are V4.  Old man is a variation on an M3 Brom morph.  Cross and terrain modeled in Carrara.  Backgrounds are from Ron.  All scene elements rendered in Carrara, and composited in PSE.  Standard distant lighting, with some caustics and lens flare in the hands.

The unusual clock in the background... is a real clock!  Google "Eric Freitas clocks" and prepare to be amazed.

Brom Time Carrara setup.JPG
    1632 x 869 - 242K
    Brom Time to Come Home 1.png
    1800 x 1040 - 3M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Very powerful, UB.  Different in a very, very good way.

Diomede said:

Very powerful, UB.  Different in a very, very good way.

Thanks Diomede.  For some reason, this render is hard for me to evaluate in the normal way.

edited April 2018

There was an issue in the entry thread so I changed my numbers to A and B.  Otherwise, we would have two 16s.

Not gonna make it with my animation project.  I will post the figure anyway.  Created a toon cavegirl - oversized eyes, 3 fingers and toes, that sort of thing.  Hair was created with Philemo's plugin, love that plugin.  The curls for the hair were set up with the shader. Intended to be a toon.  Was going to have a cavegirl dive in a pond and then be in the future when she emerged from the water.  Unfortunately, I'm not even done with the rigging.  

(EDIT - and of course the groovy 60s swirly jive would have occurred under water)

ee01 mesh for cavegirl toon.JPG
    1388 x 1002 - 102K
    ee02 test render cavegirl 2.png
    1200 x 1600 - 446K
    ee03 hair mesh.JPG
    1845 x 997 - 264K
    ee02 test render cavegirl.png
    1200 x 1600 - 336K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Old soldier, time to come home.

Something different from me.  All characters are M3, hands are V4.  Old man is a variation on an M3 Brom morph.  Cross and terrain modeled in Carrara.  Backgrounds are from Ron.  All scene elements rendered in Carrara, and composited in PSE.  Standard distant lighting, with some caustics and lens flare in the hands.

The unusual clock in the background... is a real clock!  Google "Eric Freitas clocks" and prepare to be amazed.

wow, this is a good one :) love the layering - gives that feeling of time and space, lots to look at and very rhythmic with the reptitions of motifs

Diomede said:

Updated

classic concept, great to see the reverse = cute doll too ;) not sure if i'd go to his haird dresser tho

What happens when a couple of country gals stumble upon a fully-armed time vessel?

No postwork.  Thanks Carrara!

Major products are Laura (Millennium teens), the Girl 3, Skiff Runner, Cryolophosaurus, Giant Fantasy Snake, and MatCreator's wonderful texture (from his latest product) which I used on the background..

Processes include Carrara volumetric clouds, Carrara lens flare, Carrara fire, Carrara text, and G'MIC.

terrific render and made me laugh out loud - I now have a new crack in my face...

3DAGE said:

playing around with VDB's  ,. I thought this may fit the theme,.

Not an entry in the comp,. just fun :)

very classy Andy

Selina said:
    head wax said:

Another from me - its two renders combined - the first was mainly caustic lighting and I threw in a Primivol fog. The central kid was in a big glass speher and I shaded that with Digital Carvers' glass shaders but it wasn't showing the kid clearly enough, so I rendered him out again and used Fenric's tree duplicate to get another two kids...

Lots of post-work and I used an object pass to isolate the three kids so I could work on them. Used Ron's brushes and a cloud pic I took.

Love the image Head Wax, very interesting colour palet.

​Selina

thank you Selina - the orange working with the blue is one we often fall into :)

Diomede said:

There was an issue in the entry thread so I changed my numbers to A and B.  Otherwise, we would have two 16s.

thanks Diomede.  I didn't even notice there was a duplication before I entered.  Your solution seems reasonable.  Of course, Stezza will decide.

Diomede said:

Not gonna make it with my animation project.  I will post the figure anyway.  Created a toon cavegirl - oversized eyes, 3 fingers and toes, that sort of thing.  Hair was created with Philemo's plugin, love that plugin.  The curls for the hair were set up with the shader. Intended to be a toon.  Was going to have a cavegirl dive in a pond and then be in the future when she emerged from the water.  Unfortunately, I'm not even done with the rigging.  

(EDIT - and of course the groovy 60s swirly jive would have occurred under water)

Wish you could have finished this.  It was a great idea!

HW, thanks as always for your nice comments.  I've always been satisfied with my entries, but for this Challenge entries my feelings are more complex, less content.  My sense of aesthetics is not so clear.  Maybe I'm starting to see a bigger potential, in part from looking at yours (and others) work here for so many months.  Or maybe I'm just losing it. :)

be vewy vewy quiet

we're wendering wenders....

Last Minute to get your WiPs up and renders entered...

I'll close off this arvo around 3pm my time... about 5 hours from now.... 

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Agh! I'm rendering several layers...don't know if I'll make it. I thought we might have until midninght?  blush

it will be midnight in Bogota smiley

the times have already been extended but I can extend again if you are entering.. If I don't close at 3pm my time then I can extend it to 3pm tomorrow my time.. I need to do it when I'm at the computer..

let me know by posting here if you need the extra time yes

Thanks Stezza!! Wait, so I still have about 2.5 hours? I think I'll make it. Yikes!!

no probs...

It's school holidays at the moment and we have some of our kids & grandkids staying with us... so I have to juggle... and I'm not good at juggling lol

2.5 hours left as of this post

lucky they are all out shopping!.... I think surprise

Cool cool. You already gave a generous extension so there is no way I could ask for one...especially since I stoppped by the bar last night when I should have been here rendering.  smiley

No point in extending it for me.  However, if anyone is interested in how I made curly hair that could be straightened by getting wet, see here.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3560896/#Comment_3560896

uu10 another morph setting.jpg
    640 x 480 - 31K
    uu11 anoher setting.jpg
    640 x 480 - 28K