• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    edited March 2021

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Selina said:

Selina ... you are obviously already an experienced 3D artist.

One thing though - the forum rule when posting renders is to keep them at 800 pixels wide or less.  So, you might consider reducing the width of your image before the mods get cranky. :)

You flatter me! (..and you know what they say about flattery?)

Seriously, thank you for your encouragement and for the advice on image sizes - I wasn't aware and see that others upload images larger than the stipulated size too.

???? Selina

You can load them larger,  but please do use the rich textools to limit the dispaly size for the forum to 800 pixels.  This is because people use all sorts of devices to browse the forums desk tops, lap tops, tablets, pads, notebooks smart phones, non smart phones etc etc. and some of these do have a max display width of 768 pixels, so larger widths distort for them

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

If you then click on the LINK tab in that dialog, you can paste the original url there, so that if the viewer clicks on the image, they'll get the full size one. yes

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

wip: welcome home timelord

was watchung a carrara 8 lighting tutt.  casually mentioned carrara now supports ies lights for architecture previsheart 
    said manufacturers create light simulation files 
    found some here:  http://www.americanelectriclighting.com/Library/Photometry/default.asp?path=/American_Electric_Lighting

photometric profile settings are under the effects tab.

played with modifiers on the text

added a light to a cylinder.
    the historic police box.
    Aiko 7 wearing dark intent
    a few props from daz store

room is a 5 sided cube, added thickness

wip ch39.JPG
    1728 x 842 - 198K
    ch39 render settings.JPG
    626 x 990 - 102K
    ies light welcome home time traveler.JPG
    1814 x 1016 - 274K
    welcome home modifier linear wave.JPG
    1833 x 1026 - 250K
    ch39.png
    1920 x 576 - 1M
    ch39 welcome home time lord.png
    2560 x 1080 - 3M
    ch39 welcome home time lord2.png
    2560 x 1080 - 3M
    edited March 2021

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited April 2018

@Misty - thank you so much for the link to the lights.  Wow, I had no idea about ies.  Yoda says probably the most iconic travel device you chose.  Well done.

Thanks or the feedback on my psychodelic time trave device, @Selina.  If I combine it with a Big Boy Hamburger statue, could get Dr. Evil to the groovey 60s.  Oh, behave!

I circled back to my Time Guardian model, which is free for everyone to use.  How many eras can we glimpse through the portal?  As some of you may remember, there was also a Star Trek cartoon during the 70s.  This counts as a homage, I do believe.

Time Portal Entry Composite 1a.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited April 2018

Nice homage Diomede!  Toon 3 and GMIC, plus, a creative use of a previous render. :)

I guess that today is homage entry day.

A Kink in Time

V4, Toon 3, GMIC, and a sharecg Tardis model.  It is about 95% Carrara, 5% PSE.

No, I don't have a latex fetish. :)

V4 Kink Carrara setup.JPG
    1437 x 1042 - 178K
    V4 Kink in Time blk b.png
    1000 x 1399 - 1007K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited March 2021

edited March 2021

Nice homage Diomede!  Toon 3 and GMIC, plus, a creative use of a previous render. :)

A Kink in Time

how come i dont get to see Matt Smith dressed like that?  lol

Diomede said:

@Misty - thank you so much for the link to the lights.  Wow, I had no idea about ies.  Yoda says probably the most iconic travel device you chose.  Well done.

Thanks or the feedback on my psychodelic time trave device, @Selina.  If I combine it with a Big Boy Hamburger statue, could get Dr. Evil to the groovey 60s.  Oh, behave!

I circled back to my Time Guardian model, which is free for everyone to use.  How many eras can we glimpse through the portal?  As some of you may remember, there was also a Star Trek cartoon during the 70s.  This counts as a homage, I do believe.

yw smiley

a lil gem buried in a tutt.  so casual, they should be advertising this !

Selina said:
    Mistara said:

Like the tribute and see the TARDIS door open which makes me think of a challenge for myself... Also thanks for the link to the photometry files - always useful!

I wish you all the best with your entry,

Selina

tysmiley

Mistara said:

how come i dont get to see Matt Smith dressed like that?  lol

Matt Smith in high heels?

:)

I became a Dr. Who fan during the Matt Smith era.  Some of you Brits may cringe, but I never liked the old Dr. Who shows from the last century.  So when my wife asked me to watch an episode of the newer incarnation, I wanted to go and hide, but I watched it.  The show was a Dr. Who Christmas special called "A Christmas Carol."  What an experience!  I laughed and cried,and was generally astounded.  That led to me seeing all of the new shows, and to discovering David Tennant - who was, of course, the REAL Dr. Who. :)

Selina said:

The new doctor sure has changed! I hardly recognise ... The Doctor!

I wish you all the best with your entry

Selina

Thanks, Selina.  It's probably all of that makeup. :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited April 2018

I have an intermittent internet fault ... keeps dropping out on me... makes it hard to get anything online..

anyways here goes......................... 

Freakin Dr Who.jpg
    571 x 900 - 518K
    Post edited by Stezza on

mini who?smiley

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited April 2018

I have been a lousy forum member lately, sorry to everyone!  Life hit me out of nowhere and I've had zero fun time for the past long while which has caused me to miss out on almost everything.  Mentally I thought that there would be no way for me to participate on the latest challenge short of voting in the end, but unexpectedly I got some free hours today after church. 

From the moment I saw the title of this Challenge (not the full description, just the title) I immediately had an image leap into being in my mind.  Then reading further into the actual description, not sure how well my idea matches up, but I was hell-bent on making it anyway (even though I thought I would miss out on the entry dates).  Mentally for some weird reason I thought today was the last day, so I was working frantically to bring something to fruition, lol I come back to the forum and re-read, and realized I still have plenty of time, so I guess I might figure out some ways to polish this up in the coming days, if I can get any more free time to play.

Anyhoo, here's my dead-simple setup:  1 camera, 1 piano, 1 Genesis, who is wearing some of Uzilite's Mike 4 clothing and a Genesis8 hair.  Did a pass in Carrara Native just with the Piano to get the motion blur, rendered it as an alpha channel (didn't realize before now we can only render alpha channels with certain formats, I puzzled over this for a while before I chose .png and it let me make an alpha render, which is basically just a transparency).  Then threw in 2 pieces of Stonemason's Urban Sprawl2, moved around til it was in the right place (did not move the camera/genesis1/piano though, because the framing had to be perfectly matched) and rendered the base image in Octane.  As far as I know Octane can't do motion blur, but Carrara can, so once again it's super easy because of sighman's great plugin to simply make 2 renders and combine the best of both worlds together.  Popped up Gimp, added the motion blurred transparency and reduced transparency so the crystal-clear in-focus piano is still visible under the blurring, fiddled a bit with the color levels to bring it all together.

PianoFallSetup.png
    1637 x 772 - 204K
    pianofallALPHAblur.png
    800 x 1200 - 133K
    PianoFalllarge.png
    800 x 1200 - 4M
    PianoFalllargeFinal.png
    800 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Jonstark on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited April 2018

A Kink in Time

Hah great image, love the tilt on the box. Even if you do have a latex fetish that's okay,  we don't mind....

Jonstark said:

I have been a lousy forum member lately, sorry to everyone!  Life hit me out of nowhere and I've had zero fun time for the past long while which has caused me to miss out on almost everything.  Mentally I thought that there would be no way for me to participate on the latest challenge short of voting in the end, but unexpectedly I got some free hours today after church. 

From the moment I saw the title of this Challenge (not the full description, just the title) I immediately had an image leap into being in my mind.  Then reading further into the actual description, not sure how well my idea matches up, but I was hell-bent on making it anyway (even though I thought I would miss out on the entry dates).  Mentally for some weird reason I thought today was the last day, so I was working frantically to bring something to fruition, lol I come back to the forum and re-read, and realized I still have plenty of time, so I guess I might figure out some ways to polish this up in the coming days, if I can get any more free time to play.

Anyhoo, here's my dead-simple setup:  1 camera, 1 piano, 1 Genesis, who is wearing some of Uzilite's Mike 4 clothing and a Genesis8 hair.  Did a pass in Carrara Native just with the Piano to get the motion blur, rendered it as an alpha channel (didn't realize before now we can only render alpha channels with certain formats, I puzzled over this for a while before I chose .png and it let me make an alpha render, which is basically just a transparency).  Then threw in 2 pieces of Stonemason's Urban Sprawl2, moved around til it was in the right place (did not move the camera/genesis1/piano though, because the framing had to be perfectly matched) and rendered the base image in Octane.  As far as I know Octane can't do motion blur, but Carrara can, so once again it's super easy because of sighman's great plugin to simply make 2 renders and combine the best of both worlds together.  Popped up Gimp, added the motion blurred transparency and reduced transparency so the crystal-clear in-focus piano is still visible under the blurring, fiddled a bit with the color levels to bring it all together.

that made me laugh, I must be a sick puppy :)

Mistara said:

was watchung a carrara 8 lighting tutt.  casually mentioned carrara now supports ies lights for architecture previsheart 
    said manufacturers create light simulation files 
    found some here:  http://www.americanelectriclighting.com/Library/Photometry/default.asp?path=/American_Electric_Lighting

photometric profile settings are under the effects tab.

played with modifiers on the text

added a light to a cylinder.
    the historic police box.
    Aiko 7 wearing dark intent
    a few props from daz store

room is a 5 sided cube, added thickness

great concept. Where do I sign up to be a TL? :)

head wax said:

Still playing with Hugo. Here he is in Time Tunnel.

Another mind-bender!  I spend half my time reacting, and the other half trying to figure out how you did it.

thankls - I just put a stripey shader in the alpha channel and in the glow channel of a cylinder 0 the dates are texts in Carrara - they made the groovey shadows, 

the cylinder also has reflections on - the stars and the peeling paper are done in post

Selina said:
    Selina said:

CONCEPT

The viewer is moving through time in an Art Installation currently looking at two images depicting 'Movement Through Time.' The First a still life of geometric shapes...

The second gallery image is of the same 'still' group but this time showing the rapid movement as they fall through Time.

When I'm happy with my images, then I shall move on to constructing the Art installation wall, picture frames, picture captions, lighting and perhaps a shadow relief to suggest the viewer's own presence in the final image...

I have now added the essential elements to my composition and, as you can see, it's not that different from my initial layout but the camera has been moved back to reveal the viewer's presence by his hand on the stair rail...

Everything has been modelled and textured in either Carrara or Hexagon with the exception of one poser 3 hand figure. The texture for this model lacks any realism and my inital experiments on the texture aren't as I would like so I may finish the piece with a non-realistic render or judicious focal blur... I shall leave this decision for at least a week and revisit with a fresher perspective...

I would particularly like to thank 'Head Wax', Diomede, Stezza and UnifiedBrain for their encouragement and helpful guidance as well as many others too many to list here, who's works I am still absorbing!

​Selina

Selina, that's absolutely wonderful. No need to thank us, when we find a talented artist in our midst we grabe them (metaphorically) with both hands!!

Post edited by Headwax on

wip  pt 1

my 1st attempt at a skooma bottle, quads bottom.

wasted hours cutting seams to unfold.  rara's cylinder projection mapping, shoulda done in the st place >.<

working title: Time in a Bottle

jooma bot.png
    300 x 312 - 75K

moon sugar...................... sweet smiley

Time after Time
    lost some quality saving as a jpg... was better in another time cool

edited March 2021

awesome yes

He didn't really want the clock to strike one!

head wax said:

Hah great image, love the tilt on the box. Even if you do have a latex fetish that's okay,  we don't mind....

Thanks, HW.  Which box?

head wax said:

head wax said:

Another mind-bender!  I spend half my time reacting, and the other half trying to figure out how you did it.

thankls - I just put a stripey shader in the alpha channel and in the glow channel of a cylinder 0 the dates are texts in Carrara - they made the groovey shadows, 

the cylinder also has reflections on - the stars and the peeling paper are done in post

Thank you for those details.  I wouldn't have thought of half that stuff.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    head wax said:

Thanks, HW.  Which box?

head wax said:

head wax said:

Thank you for those details.  I wouldn't have thought of half that stuff.

pleasure - the tilt on the police box! :) if you have time to play turn on caustics and just use one light to light a scene - you can render out without reflections so you have the option of having everything reflect light but not show reflections per se (whatever per se means)

Stezza said:

awesome yes

He didn't really want the clock to strike one!

Stezza, that's so good, the smoke behind the frandfather clock is briliant

Selina said: 

COMPOSITION

There's nothing at the focal point of this image and your eye is then left to look around the rest of the picture, I don't know if I'm being 'too clever' here but I just wanted to say that as we move through time the end goal is not the real objective but rather it's the journey to it; being the most interesting.

yes  both part rings true :) :)

Mistara said:

wip  pt 1

my 1st attempt at a skooma bottle, quads bottom.

wasted hours cutting seams to unfold.  rara's cylinder projection mapping, shoulda done in the st place >.<

working title: Time in a Bottle

loveley to see someone dedicated to the craft

thanks headwax smiley

still plety of time to get your WiPs 'n Renders posted ......