Do You Have the Time - Carrara Challenge #39 WiPs Thread

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

awesome concept Selina and a real challenge... yes

I would suggest to get the effect you need would require several renders ( one for each prop ) with transparency then taking them into Photopaint ( I have never used it ) or Photoshop and use layers and masking to achieve the sense of motion.

no apologies needed here... let your imagination go wild... smiley

Rings of Time

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Diomede said:

@Varsel - thank you very much for the time portal freebie.  Looks great.  The entry thread does not close until the 23rd, so hping your schedule changes and yo are able to get soemthing in.

Yes thanks Varsel 

Diomede said:

@Stezza - I think you are going to have to worry about back-to-back hosting.  Fantastic images.

Hey yes Stezza is winng so far!

Diomede said:

@Headwax - Hugo has been to more places than Dora the Explorer!  Love how his shadow seems to twist away.  Helps sell the warp.

thanks Ted :) The shadow is a reflection I think

Diomede said:

Here is a quick model of the spacecraft (Icarus) from the original 1960s movie.  I've applied some basic shaders.  This is my time travel device.

wow what you can do with simple geometry is amazing.

Stezza said:
    Stezza said:

put this together using mainly primitives, Carrara Text and some greebles from DZFire

A Time Machine - portable

nice set of cogs there !

edited April 2018
    Selina said:

I don't think I'm at a stage where I could actually enter the competition, but I don't mind sharing my concept for criticism and guidance...

CONCEPT

The viewer is moving through time in an Art Installation currently looking at two images depicting 'Movement Through Time.' The First a still life of geometric shapes...

This was constructed in Carrara using the Square, Sphere, Cone and Cylinder primitives together with a Spline Torus converted to Vertex for smoothing using the Physics engine to better arrange them to suggest movement although frozen in time. The image is then rendered with Toon! Pro and GMIC: Lights & Shadows - Light leaks with added scene Fog to suggest that at the moment of freezing not all light made it to the capture device (rubbish, I know!) A second render is made [NOT SHOWN] without Toon! Pro and GMIC which is combined with the latter in Corel Photopaint as an experiment (I don't know which I prefer yet...)

The second gallery image is of the same 'still' group but this time showing the rapid movement as they fall through Time. Carrara offers great motion blur, but getting it to depict motion trails is beyond me at the moment and I can't obtaint he effect I desire in Photopaint either, but I include my attempt at this stage for completeness.

When I'm happy with my images, then I shall move on to constructing the Art installation wall, picture frames, picture captions, lighting and perhaps a shadow relief to suggest the viewer's own presence in the final image...

I know it's not Dr Who or some other 'classic' fictional time travel, but we travel through time every day and our journeys are relative to us, albeit in our waking hours moving constantly forward or in our minds where we relish our visits to the past (nightmares excluded!)

I apologise if this thread is for serious contenders... maybe one day my skills will grow and permit me the exhilaration of competing.

Selina

Wow Selina, they are terrific, beautiful glow.

These challenges are 'challenges' meant for everyone to participate and learn from. The idea is to build up our user base by helping each other to grow as both artists and Carrara users.

You fit in terrifically - you have an enquiring mind, think laterally and you are not afriad to ask questions.

Pretty soon you will be leading one of the challenges, I betcha.

Now there's a post I made a few years ago which could be relevant - if I can find it I will link to it - cheers :)

Edit: a question:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/366014/#Comment_366014

here's an example answer  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/366414/#Comment_366414

image on right has movement effects done in post https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/372620/#Comment_372620 ; (just add highlights and blur those with motion blur in ps)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    edited March 2021

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

@Selina - very vibrant color choices.  You are off to a great start.  Sorry about the Hex crashes.  They say they are working to make it more stable.  Fingers crossed on that one.

Selina said:
    head wax said:

These challenges are 'challenges' meant for everyone to participate and learn from. The idea is to build up our user base by helping each other to grow as both artists and Carrara users.

Now there's a post I made a few years ago which could be relevant - if I can find it I will link to it - cheers :)

Thanks Andrew for your encouragement and guidance. smiley

I came up with the attached as an idea - I found I couldn't blur the image too much as I lost the luminance of the original image so I rendered out a few frames which I could blur and added a few Toon! Pro outlines for good measure. I might revisit as the overall composition comes together.

I'm experimenting with textures and colours at the moment and post a second attachment as a taster (the picture frames are simple constructions made with Hexagon 2.5.2 (which still crashes from time to time!...)

​Selina

edited March 2021

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Selina said:
    Here's my first composition draft - and I'm thinking what little touches to add to make it tell the story I want; camera angles, lights and shadows, possible other objects to be included... It's quite an interesting journey for me - I've learnt a few new tricks with modelling in Carrara itself and material construction by having a go and undoing anything undesirable. Ctrl-Z is my new best friend.

wink Selina

Selina, it looks terrific!  Welcome to Carrara.  Yes, control Z saved my life many times in the early days - and my "early days" were only a year and a half ago. :)  In case you don't know, you can change the maximim number of undo's in the application file in preferences.  Also, so you don't use up those undos unnecessarily, use the directors camera perspective rather than camera 1 when editing your scene.

Keep going.  And, please enter this render in the Challenge.  You have an interseting perspective, and skill to boot!

head wax said:

Still playing with Hugo. Here he is in Time Tunnel.

Another mind-bender!  I spend half my time reacting, and the other half trying to figure out how you did it.

Very cool model, Diomede. yes

Stezza said:

Rings of Time

Impressive!  Not sure which I like better - the rings or the tree bark.  Both are excellent.

Diomede said:

Thanks, HW and UB.  

For Planet of the Apes, my current concept is a photoreal render (although stylized/fantasy art, not hyper-realism).  I found some reference material for the spaceship (Icarus) used in the 1st and 3rd movies.  The current idea is to have an ape archeaologist (Cornelius) emerging from a cave on a cliff holding a human doll, and off in the distance there is a spaceship sinking in a lake.  Some human astronauts would be on the desert surrounding the distant lake.

Unfortunately, April is going to be very busy on other fronts, so I may have to scale it back.

@diomede I haven't missed one movie or TV series of the Planet of the Apes since 196..... whenever it was!!

Icarus would be great in the Wacky Modeling thread... awesome ... I think there will be a lot more awesomness images than mine in this challenge smiley

head wax said:

who didn't watch every episode of the Time Tunnel.... even the one that was scrapped back in early 2000's

I wonder what Hugo would think... or create about it all.

Bunyip02 said:

Final render for this series - "The Final Countdown"

I can't help but think a The Philadelphia Experiment type of effect would add to this one..... can't go wrong with planes and jets yes

Selina said:
    Diomede said:

@Selina ... You are off to a great start. Sorry about the Hex crashes. They say they are working to make it more stable.

Thanks Diomede for your encouragement and wishes for a more stable Hexagon.

I was looking at bits of your wonderfully long post full of interesting tutorials and gave myself a headache. Though to be fair it is probably the new glasses! I'm using my old ones to write this...

Here's my first composition draft - and I'm thinking what little touches to add to make it tell the story I want; camera angles, lights and shadows, possible other objects to be included... It's quite an interesting journey for me - I've learnt a few new tricks with modelling in Carrara itself and material construction by having a go and undoing anything undesirable. Ctrl-Z is my new best friend.

wink Selina

I just thought Ctrl-Z is kinda like going back in time ain't it  laugh

Headwax - Shania Twain hubba bubba   heart

@unifiedbrain that's a morphable tree from Traveller here at Daz .. I think it was.. I retextured the end but it's a very usefull prop and looks good as you say in Carrara when rendered.

Just looked.. yep it's here .. a good $5

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Sorry for not commenting lately.  I'm struggling a bit more than usual this month.  Reach exceeding the grasp type of thing. :)

HW - Very interesting Hugo render, and amazing wheelchair series.  At first I liked the top wheelchair best, but now I am not so sure.  You make it very hard to choose. :)

Varsel - your stargate is very well done!

Bunyip - as others mentioned, loved the shaders and idea on your plane render.  Thanks for including the screenshot.  Rather than the afterburner prop, would Carrara fire look better?

Stezza  - another great series of renders, wildly different.  Any of them could be a winner. :)

Diomede - Terrific POTA morph and hair.  Better than you claim.  Are you going to go for realism, or more of a toon look?

UB having worked on aircraft in real-life I prefer the afterbuner prop to Carraras fire, might still lighten the afterburner effect a tad more.

edited April 2018
    Stezza said:
    Diomede said:

Thanks, HW and UB.  

For Planet of the Apes, my current concept is a photoreal render (although stylized/fantasy art, not hyper-realism).  I found some reference material for the spaceship (Icarus) used in the 1st and 3rd movies.  The current idea is to have an ape archeaologist (Cornelius) emerging from a cave on a cliff holding a human doll, and off in the distance there is a spaceship sinking in a lake.  Some human astronauts would be on the desert surrounding the distant lake.

Unfortunately, April is going to be very busy on other fronts, so I may have to scale it back.

@diomede I haven't missed one movie or TV series of the Planet of the Apes since 196..... whenever it was!!

Icarus would be great in the Wacky Modeling thread... awesome ... I think there will be a lot more awesomness images than mine in this challenge smiley

head wax said:

who didn't watch every episode of the Time Tunnel.... even the one that was scrapped back in early 2000's

I wonder what Hugo would think... or create about it all.

Bunyip02 said:

Final render for this series - "The Final Countdown"

I can't help but think a The Philadelphia Experiment type of effect would add to this one..... can't go wrong with planes and jets yes

Post-worked

Final Countdown 2 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    Bunyip02 said:

Sorry for not commenting lately.  I'm struggling a bit more than usual this month.  Reach exceeding the grasp type of thing. :)

HW - Very interesting Hugo render, and amazing wheelchair series.  At first I liked the top wheelchair best, but now I am not so sure.  You make it very hard to choose. :)

Varsel - your stargate is very well done!

Bunyip - as others mentioned, loved the shaders and idea on your plane render.  Thanks for including the screenshot.  Rather than the afterburner prop, would Carrara fire look better?

Stezza  - another great series of renders, wildly different.  Any of them could be a winner. :)

Diomede - Terrific POTA morph and hair.  Better than you claim.  Are you going to go for realism, or more of a toon look?

UB having worked on aircraft in real-life I prefer the afterbuner prop to Carraras fire, might still lighten the afterburner effect a tad more.

EEEEEK, the dreaded Open File Error when I tried to open my scene .....

Thanks for the comments on the Icarus spaceship model.  I've made some logos to add detail to the wings, etc., but not enough to be worthy of an update yet.  

@Bunyip - oh, that open file error is the horror or horrors. Hope you manage to salvage.  The spirals add to the sense of time travel.  I've gotten the dreaded error in which an object can't be found and it gets replaced with a box.  Of course, it was a custom hair prop (Cornelius).  Fortunately, I have backup hair saved separately and can drag/drop to replace the cube.

@Stezza - tree rings - looks amazing.  Here's a challenge - Maybe animate the width and the top shader to change the number of rings to show the ants travling through time?  

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

Well done, Selina.  I especially like the little details, such as the title cards.  Deja Vu all over again.  

I am still flirting with trying my hand at an animation.  For this test, I loaded some primitive cylinders, parented the small ones to the big ones, and applied a modifier in the effects tab for each.  The modifier I chose is the spin modifier.

https://youtu.be/iGujYQnd_NU

Exquiste details, Selina!  Bravo for your first Carrara effort - although you are obviously already an experienced 3D artist.

One thing though - the forum rule when posting renders is to keep them at 800 pixels wide or less.  So, you might consider reducing the width of your image before the mods get cranky. :)