• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I like it better with my wife in it:

VanDrop.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 485K
    edited December 1969

But then it's disqualified.
    As a matter of fact, the first one would be disqualified, too. Although it's not actually in the store yet, Carrara Environkit - Woodlands has been approved, tested and qualified. So it is Daz Content now. I would feel like I was cheating if I did that anyways.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Same here if I included stuff from my Fantasy Village. I was actually thinking of rigging the octopus that comes in the Objects browser and doing another landmark object and doing a monster movie inspired render.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited December 1969

..............and I could recycle this but will not
    Fully only in Carrara created, my own modelling
    (while I did borrow V4's skeleton for the Carrara animation, I dd do a carrara rigged version to export to iClone)

mtv.png
    1920 x 1080 - 919K
    edited December 1969

Cool! The biggest goal I'm giving myself is to adhere to Andrew's reasoning behind his rules - to try things that are out of my norm in Carrara. This might include things like particles, physics, maybe Luxus, yeah... Luxus will be vastly beyond my normal Carrara usage since I've never even tried using it yet = but I've always wanted to. Whether I end up using Luxus in my entry will remain to be seen - but the only way it won't is if a roll a critical fail through the entire month.

edited December 1969

Wendy, I was in the middle of typing and didn't see you there. Sorry Miss! Forgive my barging in on you.
    I love what you did with that. That mirror is really neat and still gets me how very reflective Carrara shaders can truly be! I recall when you were working on this video (money fer nuthin) and you made the member from Sweet (and yer chicks fer free) and I asked you if that's who it was without you even saying anything! lol
    Now that's a likeness when that happens, eh?
    For the longest time I wanted to ask you how you applied your own clothing to figures like that so successfully - 'cause you've been doing that for years, right? So Head Wax and Roygee filled me in on your secret when I told them that I was going to ask you. Wow... that's amazingly cool! That's Carrara! That's Wendy Loves Cats!!!

You R O C K girl... we are lucky to have you (I'm putting one of our fun little huggy smiles in here)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited December 1969

yes, I did do Brian Connolly using Genesis and Facegen.
    he was my teen idol
    great thing about CG is we can recreate our idols or fantasy versions of wives!

edited December 1969

(I’m putting one of our fun little huggy smiles in here)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I spent some time rigging and weight painting the octopus found under Mesh Models in the Object browser. The eyes were a separate mesh, so I copied and pasted them into the main body's vertex model. I also added my own shaders. Here's a test render and a couple screen shots. One shows the location of the octopus in the browser and the other is an overhead showing the rig in the assembly room.

Octopus.jpg
    800 x 600 - 53K
    Picture_1.png
    992 x 761 - 189K
    Picture_2.png
    987 x 158 - 57K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    head wax said:
    Thanks for the feedback, here are the rules tweaked. (smiley here)
    Any other feedback of course is welcome!

Thanks Andrew!

pleasure :)

edited December 1969

line up daz figure's pose to object's limbs
    hold shift
    select Daz figure's hip
    go to animation
    attach skeleton
    untick daz figure's visibility

Gee Wendy, you are spoiling my fun :) I had a three page full glossy tut all lined up :) (smileybuttons)

with the DOG object that comes in the Objects Folder it is several splines in a group ,
    so you can't scale one axis individually to get it line up with the Daz Dog Bones

so the best way to rig it is to export as an Obj then reimport it as one mesh. That way you can scale it as you want but also use soft select to move the verticies to line up with the bones - I guess you could also move the bones to line up with the mesh :)

if you delete the eg Daz Dog mesh then you will be left with bones that , from memory, have no constraints?? no names? can't remember - but they no longer respond to poses you inject

the other way to steal bones is to bring them in as BVH, Carnegie has stacks, you can attach the skeletons to mesh in Carrara, then run the bvh and freeze it at the appropriate frame

problems I have had when I uses this in past was the BVH is very jumpy so I used to import it into Truespace, then export it, and somehow the BVH would come out very clean

link to BVH database here http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu

Great to see everyone attacking this quest from all angles :)

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    The rhino in disguise (morphed and painted) as a cow. The rhino came from the content browser. The udder is a torus with a spiky modifier.

Fantastic, I would never have known it was the rhino :)! Great idea with spiky modifier :) How did you paint it ? In cowarrara? (I stole Wendy's joke :) :) )

edited December 1969

But then it's disqualified.
    As a matter of fact, the first one would be disqualified, too. Although it's not actually in the store yet, Carrara Environkit - Woodlands has been approved, tested and qualified. So it is Daz Content now. I would feel like I was cheating if I did that anyways.

still beautiful work, I get to play with my new Evironkit toy on Sunday :) yipppeee

edited December 1969

Cool! The biggest goal I'm giving myself is to adhere to Andrew's reasoning behind his rules - to try things that are out of my norm in Carrara. This might include things like particles, physics, maybe Luxus, yeah... Luxus will be vastly beyond my normal Carrara usage since I've never even tried using it yet = but I've always wanted to. Whether I end up using Luxus in my entry will remain to be seen - but the only way it won't is if a roll a critical fail through the entire month.

yes I need to "brush' up on my Carrara painting skills :)
    I need to explore the brushes that came with her...
    Gah, I need to read the manual ....

heh,

I printed it out last year, then eccidentally printed it out again, on single sided pages gah, the manual is about eight inches tall and I do weights with it ...

Wendy, that render really psychedelicked me out! You could do adds for Tv. :)! Seriously.

edited December 1969

I spent some time rigging and weight painting the octopus found under Mesh Models in the Object browser. The eyes were a separate mesh, so I copied and pasted them into the main body's vertex model. I also added my own shaders. Here's a test render and a couple screen shots. One shows the location of the octopus in the browser and the other is an overhead showing the rig in the assembly room.

wonderful work Evil. Are you going to add Ik? It's good to see someone rigging in Carrara.
    And the textures are procedural. The octopus looks almost real... making me hungry :)

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    The rhino in disguise (morphed and painted) as a cow. The rhino came from the content browser. The udder is a torus with a spiky modifier.

Remarkable.

We have a Winner and the contest hasn't even started yet!

That gets 1st Place, Second Place, AND Honorable Mention.

So, what's the next challenge going to be?

edited June 2013

diomede64 said:

Remarkable.

We have a Winner and the contest hasn't even started yet!

That gets 1st Place, Second Place, AND Honorable Mention.

So, what's the next challenge going to be?

heh heh , love your one cow mind socratease :)
    now do me a favour and win this challenge so we can all do cows and not feel guilty :)
    heres soemthing I literally banged together., there was a pig but it wasnt a cow so I invisblated it :)
    the basis is a rv6, but i see there is an f15 cockpit, unfortunately shortened in the Instances menu to a politically incorrect nomenclature

happy weekend :)

edit everything visible from objects menu except sky

Untitled-1.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 295K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

I've actually gotten good use from that mouse, but for some reason every time he makes it into a render he's violating the terms of service here.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

After browsing the available objects, I think I'll do at least one western-themed entry. I've attached a work in progress, but I might change the entire concept. I'm not sure that I'll keep the rhino-cow in the western entry. The rhino is composed of three facets, but only one was the body. I turned the horn facet and the tail tip facet invisible (which left a hole in the snout). I converted the body to a vertex model and shaped it more cow-like (and added a spiky primitive for the udder). I then painted the cow using carrara's 3d paint after uv mapping it in the vertex modeling room. Finally, I rigged the cow in carrara and did some minor adjusting of the weight maps. I repeated the same basic steps (except making it look cow-ish) for one of the women figures in the object browser - convert to vertex model, apply smoothing, uv-map, and define shading domains. I then gave the woman some sun glasses and a cowboy hat, both found in the objects browser. Finally, I posed her as a cow rider. Anyway, just a work in progress, and I might scuttle the whole thing and start over. I might use the cow in my second entry - which will be more quirky, and less fast or furious.

I think the basic work flow makes sense for me.

Cowpoke.jpg
    640 x 480 - 21K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

I just decided how I am going to use the rhino cow. The objects I plan to use from the objects browser are a "cat" (tiger), a "fiddle" (the violin and bow), a cow (rhino-cow), a moon (yep, there is a cartoon man-in-the-moon object), a dish, a spoon, and two people (just to use their legs for the dish and the spoon in combined rigging and make their torsos and up invisible).

The pick has the core pieces of what will be my Hey Diddle Diddle entry. I bet there is a way to use the 3D paint tool's displacement painting and subdivision surfaces to get better detail from these objects. Well, we'll see. I'll ask for help and suggestions on better works in progress for my each of my submissions in the middle of the month. I still plan a western theme for the other entry.

Good luck everyone.

Hey_Diddle_Diddle_Thought.jpg
    640 x 480 - 22K
    edited December 1969

I've actually gotten good use from that mouse, but for some reason every time he makes it into a render he's violating the terms of service here.

oh, I wasn't aware of that! Lucky I put a greek tragedy mask on him ! :)

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    After browsing the available objects, I think I'll do at least one western-themed entry. I've attached a work in progress, but I might change the entire concept. I'm not sure that I'll keep the rhino-cow in the western entry. The rhino is composed of three facets, but only one was the body. I turned the horn facet and the tail tip facet invisible (which left a hole in the snout). I converted the body to a vertex model and shaped it more cow-like (and added a spiky primitive for the udder). I then painted the cow using carrara's 3d paint after uv mapping it in the vertex modeling room. Finally, I rigged the cow in carrara and did some minor adjusting of the weight maps. I repeated the same basic steps (except making it look cow-ish) for one of the women figures in the object browser - convert to vertex model, apply smoothing, uv-map, and define shading domains. I then gave the woman some sun glasses and a cowboy hat, both found in the objects browser. Finally, I posed her as a cow rider. Anyway, just a work in progress, and I might scuttle the whole thing and start over. I might use the cow in my second entry - which will be more quirky, and less fast or furious.

I think the basic work flow makes sense for me.

great work! thanks for sharing the concept and construction details.
    Looking forward to see how you bring out the details with carrara brush and displacement.

Then you'll have to do a tut for us (smiley here)

edited June 2013

Just a quick post.

I just heard back from DimensionTheory, this month's sponsor.
    I think everyone will be excited by the news.

I know I am :)

(insert smiley here)

:)

DimensionTheory Products:

http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=DimensionTheory&x=0&y=0

Last Months Sponsor: Dartanbeck.

http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Dartanbeck&x=0&y=0

EDit I spent a while in Carrara's modellingroom today - very interesting figuring out the workflow/ Made a horse for a pegasus maybe. then couldn't find the Birdwings supposed to be in the object catalogue!! Not UVeed yet . In fact the mesh is a nightmare :) :(

Andrewfinnie3.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 662K
    Untitled-2caty.jpg
    1580 x 891 - 399K
    Untitled-1_copy.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 745K
    Untitled5_copy.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 705K
    Untitled6_copy.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 825K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

I'm finally getting around to working on motion blur for my "fast and furious" entry, and discovered it doesn't work the way I was expect it to. Rendering motion blur for a still frame blurs the object in motion *continuously* so that if the main object is in motion and you want to simulate it being "fast and furious," then you really can't see the object distinctly in the blur effect.

To get around this, and to still create the condition for great speed, I came up with overlaying multiple still images taken with different blur intensities. The base layer is the object without blur with increasingly long blurs added on top with the opacity toned down more and more.

I've attached a sample of this.

Has anyone come up with a better (or different) way to create this effect? For a complex scene, the technique I am using here will increase render time substantially.

Blur_Study_01.jpg
    640 x 480 - 93K
    Post edited by FractalDimensia on
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

Just seeing what I have to work with.
    "You put NOS in a what?"

nos1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 29K
    Post edited by ManStan on
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited June 2013

Thank you for posting about this at Renderosity and for hosting the challenge!

Questions:
    About Rules:
    1. May we use objects which came with scenes which came with Carrara? (terrains, plants, objects included in the sample scenes, etc.)
    2. May we use objects which are presets or edited creations from Plant, Cloud, Ocean, Hair and other Carrara editors?
    3. Do either of the above count as content?
    4. May we use objects which we ourselves create or modify or partially create in other software? are there any restrictions on those?

Technique questions:
    I'm an total idiot with everything that's animation related, so if you did create that tutorial about bone structure stealing and BVH files, please post it! If there are any screen-grabs with places where to click, it's even better. I can't even find my way to most animation-related menus and options. What is the order of applying(?) BVH files? how are they to be imported? do objects need to be specially prepared for that? how? What is your workflow inside Truespace? (Sorry for so many stupid questions...)

And if anyone can post more details about motion blur, I would also appreciate it very much.

UPDATE: forgot to say, that it's one very impressive horse up there. I am especially impressed by the UV map. I always struggle with those. Were these UV maps also done in Carrara? and if so, how did you manage???

Post edited by Antara on
  • FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

The first step in my entry - here is the "fast and furious" part.

Skeleton I downloaded as my "content." Motorcycle is my Carrara object.

Still working on the "humorous" part.

Blur_Study_03.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 384K
    Post edited by FractalDimensia on
    edited December 1969

Antara asked:

Technique questions:
    I'm an total idiot with everything that's animation related, so if you did create that tutorial about bone structure stealing and BVH files, please post it! If there are any screen-grabs with places where to click, it's even better. I can't even find my way to most animation-related menus and options. What is the order of applying(?) BVH files? how are they to be imported? do objects need to be specially prepared for that? how? What is your workflow inside Truespace? (Sorry for so many stupid questions...)

apologies, I only used Truespace for a while. From memory it was as simple as import BVH then export it.
    The computer I had truespace on is dead :(
    When you import BVH files into C you get a window with different selections I think. Maybe someone else can hep ypu with which to pick?

here is bone stealing pic tho, hope it helps

stealingbones.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 265K