QUIRKY, HUMOROUS, FAST AND FURIOUS: Fabulous Prizes! WIP Thread:

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

that's a shame it was looking like a good start Evil.

thanks for letting us know what you are upto. : )

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Just to show... I'm working on something... that is exploring an idea...
    The car started from the object browser, but has been a little bit modified...

Nice job! My twin brother and I kit-bashed a physical model car with a fighter jet at one point. Came out way cool! Now I wanna try doing that in Carrara.

beautiful to see what comes out of the minds of men and women : ) when given a refined set of tools, a few random objects and an abstract concept to illustrate. do you have that junkyard challenge show "Crapheap"? er I mean "scrapheap"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169491/ I've watched it twice in the past, amazing what people come up with. It's the Boffins versus the Brawn usually. No guesses who wins : ) good to see a mix of both here : )
    These two started my brain to work. I had a vague idea about what to do, and this made me clarify my vision an idea.
    So some more WIP. This is all the cars from Mesh Models in the object browser.
    Doc4.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 339K
    edited December 1969

classic scene! It's like the day the Martians bombed LA, everybody trying to get outta town - on both sides of the highway no less

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    classic scene! It's like the day the Martians bombed LA, everybody trying to get outta town - on both sides of the highway no less

Well you know, there is always somebody that just has to go closer to watch.....

edited July 2013

Varsel said:
    head wax said:

Well you know, there is always somebody that just has to go closer to watch.....

heh, yes curiousity killed more than the cat

here's a start on a carrara landscape
    , all the objects are mesh objects, used magnets thanks to andy and 00seven's hints, the shale like rocks on the ground on the right and left periphery are a rock with an explosion modifier, I combined a few rock textures and baked them, then used the results as a displacement map
    the floating rocks are err accidental :)

it's the start of a star wars race thing, maybe podracing
    like this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dcqnEFIw3A

Doc4.jpg
    2000 x 1097 - 315K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited July 2013

Ok, I have a problem
    starting to get a bit late for my entry, a want to do several people
    Smoothing or subdivision in vertex room creates holes WTF?
    but when I export my skinned posed mesh I can do both to reimported one once but it looks worse?
    a second smoothing adds holes again

Untitled.jpg
    1178 x 752 - 197K
    Untitled.jpg
    1339 x 809 - 173K
    Doc5.jpg
    1053 x 2000 - 228K
    Doc4.png
    1053 x 2000 - 548K
    Doc3.png
    1053 x 2000 - 311K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Maybe try "Untriangulating" first, then apply smoothing?

edited December 1969

No - Wait!
    Select all - Model > 'smooth edges' > "All"

edited December 1969

Wow! Stuff going on, eh?
    Head Wax: Inspired by "The Great Escape", perhaps? Ever see that? That's what that motorcycle scene reminds me of - those older 70's dirt bikes! Gotta love 'em!
    Wendy: Getting ready for some Rock n' Roll Action?!!!
    Varsel... wow! Reminds me of that short time I've lived in Chicago. Good thing I was raised in the north woods - learned at a young age how to sail a car through the air - and land it!

Head Wax: That's really cool! Did you show those pillars to Rhiana? She's looking for just such thingies! Very cool, all!

edited July 2013

No matter what I do I get holes

if I export her to iClone 3DXchange5 and weld mesh and apply smoothing she reexports beautifully smoothed and keeps her UV mapping
    why can't I do this in Carrara?

(iClone animation with same mesh, hair prop, yes I rigged the neck poorly)

w2.gif
    400 x 600 - 3M
    Doc7.png
    1920 x 1080 - 529K
    Doc4.png
    1261 x 2000 - 631K
    Doc4.png
    1261 x 2000 - 610K
    edited December 1969

why can't I do this in Carrara?
    because spending all that time with the clones has clouded your vision to the dark side of the force. The corruption is likely beginning to cause a slight discomfort to your eyes from the back sides of them - am I right? Eventually you won't be able to leave your house without a battery pack that can run a graphics accelerator of at least a few GB of GDR RAM and at first, a few hundred Cuda Cores or their equivalent. Some cases require that you also need to have an overclocked multicore processor onboard. All of the case eventually require such things unless proper care is received - which often entails weeks of sleepless nights jamming out on Carrara, and Carrara alone. Some experts claim that during this period, other DAZ3D applications can be used without suffering relapse. Others disagree and demand a strict regime of Carrara scene building, model manipulation, shader design, and... ultimately... you guessed it... rendering. And the really bad cases even have to use global illumination at really high settings, with full indirect lighting and caustics enabled! Be careful, young one! The dark side is not a path to tread lightly!
    edited December 1969

Curious: Have you tried checking to see if the edges are set to 'creased'? That's what it looks like to me - and would have a possible motive for creating smoothing holes. Sorry I'm not more help. Where the h. e. double toothpicks is 3dage when you need him?

edited December 1969

Curious: Have you tried checking to see if the edges are set to 'creased'? That's what it looks like to me - and would have a possible motive for creating smoothing holes. Sorry I'm not more help. Where the h. e. double toothpicks is 3dage when you need him?

I just lost a long reply when my android decided to disconect from my wifi modem
    the short answer is
    I often need to fix Carrara mesh in other programs
    mostly just Daz studio
    sometimes Hex, Blender, iClone or Poser.
    but
    due to limitations of this comp trying to do it all in Carrara.

those browser objects pretty poorly made in many ways
    prob better to just create a mesh from scratch if I can.

edited December 1969

thanks Dart : )

Wendy try this, export woman2obj
    reimport as a facetted mesh (play with smoothing values in this import window)
    then in carrar open in the mesh room
    you will be asked if you want to convert it
    convert to mesh
    then smooth edges and smooth as you normally would
    works for me

nice animation

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    thanks Dart : )

Wendy try this, export woman2obj
    reimport as a facetted mesh (play with smoothing values in this import window)
    then in carrar open in the mesh room
    you will be asked if you want to convert it
    convert to mesh
    then smooth edges and smooth as you normally would
    works for me

nice animation

See? Why can't I just talk efficiently like that? lol!!!
    That's all I've been trying to say - well... except when I went off on my sci fi tangent about how iClone was warping our girl's brain to the dark side... I sure hope she heeds my advice on that - Not!

Not sure if I told you this less than a million times yet, Wendy... I really love your iClone animations - especially the ones with singing involved - so... yeah... all of them!

edited July 2013

thanks Headwax (Andrew) that worked!
    and thanks Dart for trying

Doc4.png
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Untitled.jpg
    1617 x 785 - 555K
    Doc2.png
    2000 x 1500 - 573K
    edited July 2013

more Wendy weirdness

woman2.gif
    500 x 375 - 1M
    Untitled.jpg
    1847 x 753 - 186K
    Untitled.jpg
    1887 x 833 - 363K
    edited December 1969

heh, that is really very scary : )!!! , works great actually!
    thanks for the destructions too

edited December 1969

Wendy girl...
    you so R O C K ! ! !
    Love it when you show us stuff like this! Love it!

edited December 1969

This one is moving along nicely........

Still a few bits to add..

Doc2.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 363K
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    This one is moving along nicely........

Still a few bits to add..

moving along more than nicely : )

edited July 2013

bit more work on this one, everything modeled in carrara except used microphone and satellite dish from objects folder

detail.jpg
    1726 x 1277 - 403K
    postfull.jpg
    2000 x 1743 - 641K
    edited December 1969

awesome Andrew
    Gwendolyn agrees

Doc6.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Rock On, All! Great stuff - and a really nifty pun from the Vars! Excellent stuff! Very excellent!

edited July 2013

it's hotting up here alright!
    mine just getting scarier!

Doc11.png
    2000 x 2000 - 3M
    WenDollin.png
    2000 x 2000 - 3M
    edited December 1969

Very nice, Wendy.

edited July 2013

Heh, thanks Dartanbeck and Gwendoline err I mean Wendy : ) Gwendoline is pretty scary. I like how she has had a total vitrectomy : )
    Hope we get some more WIP's here eh?
    Maybe we are being kept in suspense : )

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    bit more work on this one, everything modeled in carrara except used microphone and satellite dish from objects folder

Wow! That's very impressive.
    Now I really want to know what did you do to the sky to make it look like that?!
    Also, are the engine-burn effects done in post, or are they also part of the scene?

edited December 1969

I am going to guess that those engine burns are made with fire. Am I right? I agree with all of that. Very exciting image - I'd like to know more! :)

I hope to get more done - but it's hard to get Carrara open right now. Too gone by the time I get home.

edited July 2013

thanks Antara and Dartanbeck : )

Ahh I will post the before post pic this afternoon, I forgot to do that!

The sky.... well I used a pic of a nice mauve sunset I took a while ago and put that in the backdrop (?) and tiled it - you can see where it mirrors itself up top left - looks weirdly three dee.

I used carrara sun and realistic sky as well. Then I dropped a whole lot of clouds in at 'ground level" in a line going off into the distance - to see what would happen. Some of the smoke things are done in post, like the smoke trail going up into the sky.

The engine burn is carrara fire times 2 as Dartanbeck suspected. There is cloud in there as well near the engines. I also put a bulb near the engines with a fire map in the texture area of the bulb. The blurriness near the engine is done in post to hide the lousy mesh I made : )

If I get a chance I will put in mickey and or the robot somewhere in the landscape - I tried Mickey last night but he looked 'silly" - surprise! :)

cheers from oz : )

PS the real surprise for me was that shale on the ground, It's just a boulder with an explosion modifier. Beats modelling all those different bits!