Carrara Challenge 2: QUIRKY, HUMOROUS, FAST AND FURIOUS: Winners Declared!

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
edited August 2013 in Carrara Discussion

QUIRKY, HUMOROUS, FAST AND FURIOUS : Carrara Challenge Number 2

Yippee :) Another successful challenge with lots of wonderful renders and WIps.!

Thank you once again to all those artists who generously donated their time to take part in this challenge.
And thankyou again to Dimension Theory and Daz for their generous sponsorship.

Well it's time to vote :) (Please)

Just a reminder the aim of the challenge was:

PRIMARY AIM: to produce a Quirky , Humorous and/or Action Packed Render in Carrara.

Please cast your vote in this thread.

HOW TO VOTE

Feel free to vote for up to TWO images.
Each vote is one point for that image.
You can vote for the same artist twice.

Feel free also to add any remarks you like - eg why, how you voted.
Voting is fluid. You can change your vote at anytime up to end of voting.

At the end of voting I'll ask our kind sponsor DimensionTheory to pick out the "honourable mention" But feel free to vote for the "honourable mention" to give him a hand.

Voting ends 4th August at 12 midnight DAZ time.

thanks again ;)

PS if there is a tie I'll ask DimensionTheory, a wonderful artist himself, to cast the deciding vote.

0riginal post follows-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please post your entries here in this format:
You can post up to two entries.

Entry Number eg #3 (you get this number by adding 1 to the number of the entry before yours)
Artist: Joe Bloggs
Title: "egGFGFGF"
Type: Eg Fast and Furious

What objects and content you used.
Any working methods you'd like to divulge.

PRIZES:

DIMENSIONTHEORY

I’m proud to announce that, along with DAZ’s kind sponsorship, well known Carrarrite DimensionTheory will be generously sponsoring this month’s challenge.

So in addition to DAZ’ coupons outlined below we have DimensionTheory’s magnificent:

1st Place: Monterey HDRIs for first place: http://www.daz3d.com/hdr-prosets-monterey

2nd Place: Cloud Nine Atmospheric Clouds: http://www.daz3d.com/cloud-nine-atmospheric-clouds-for-carrara

3rd Place: Skies of Terra Volume One : http://www.daz3d.com/skies-of-terra-volume-one

These are all superb pieces of engineering. If you know DimensionTheory’s attention to detail and his artistry you’ll realise what wonderful prizes these are.

Thank you DimensionTheory!!

You can see DimensionTheory’s store here: http://www.daz3d.com/dimensiontheory

You’ll find he has 20 rip roaring products for Carrara.

DAZ

And once again DAZ has been kind enough to sponsor us. Thankyou Britney!
DAZ is donating:

Ist Place: a $50 coupon
2nd Place will win a $30 coupon
3rd Place wins a $15 coupon
In addition the Honorable Mention will receive a $5 coupon code.

DAZ has been very generous in encouraging these Carrara Challenges and has offered to support us once a month!

Please note that the coupons are for DAZ3D items.

ENTRIES

ENDS 27th July at 12 MIDNIGHT Daz Utah Time (link at bottom)

Any questions, queries or to see the entry rules etc please ask in the WIP thread

Thank you again for your interest and help.! Looking forward to seeing what people come up with.

The winner gets to host next month’s challenge.

LINKS of INTEREST

DimensionTheory’s store: http://www.daz3d.com/dimensiontheory

Previous Sponsor Dartanbeck’s store: http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=dartanbeck&x=0&y=0

DAZ Time UTAH: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_US-UT.aspx

WIP thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24644/

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

number 1
    bigh
    Gear Head
    Fast and Furious - HP 1022

used - Model t - v8 engine - phonograph tube

1_Gear_Head.jpg
    1240 x 930 - 197K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,043
    edited July 2013

Entry Number 2
    Artist: Wendy♥catz
    Title: Games room
    Type: Fast and Furious NOT! (more relaxed and chilled out)
    lots of bits and bobs will add list later

Doc3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 813K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Entry Number 2
    lots of bits and bobs will add list when I update pic, this is a filler while I render it again

Fixing the levitating billiard balls?

edited July 2013

Entry Number 2
    lots of bits and bobs will add list when I update pic, this is a filler while I render it again

Fixing the levitating billiard balls?
    mm should perhaps, this is just my standby entry in case I do not finish the real one using Wendollin
    am busy playing with 3Ds Max 2014 at moment, only have 29 days
    I have updated it, I only changed the camera view and a tiny bit

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Entry Number: #3
    Artist: evilproducer
    Title: Going down with the ship
    Type: Fast and Furious

Very simple scene. I used the Ww2 sub from the Ships directory in the Object Browser and the Octopus from the Mesh Models directory. The terrain is one of the desert presets. I also used the Bubbles particle emitter and adjusted it and applied my own shaders.

I rigged the octopus and created my own shaders.

Octo-attacks-sub02.jpg
    1375 x 1000 - 214K
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Entry Number: # 4
    Artist: Antara
    Title: "Small World"
    Type: QUIRKY

(I am just reposting my entry from the other thread.)

There is no content here. But I did use the leaf that is part of Carrara's native plant builder, but it isn't an object from the object tab. Does this count as my content?
    The objects used:
    Balloons from Home section (deformed using modifiers, and reshaded)
    Butterfly, Iris and Magnolia from Nature (reshaded, and in case of Magnolia - butchered and put back together to be a poppy)
    Noose from Misc (reshaped in the Spline modeller)
    The tire from one of the Transport models, also slightly reshaped, so I no longer remember which one it was. I think Mbike65, but I'm not sure.
    Moonface from Mesh Models (re-UV-mapped, reshaded, morphed)

Other elements:
    The lake water is an ocean primitive.
    The world-rock is a vertex object of my own making.
    The grass is Carrara dynamic hair.
    The sky is another vertex sphere with a sky map.
    Glow from the moon is Carrara's native aura.
    The rocks in the lake are a morphed and smoothed vertex cube.
    The toy is my own object, modelled, UV-mapped and shaded from scratch. I offer it as a freebie if anyone is interested.

All shaders are my own. The textures either came with Carrara (butterfly, flowers), or are from NASA (Moonface) and modified by me, and finally, the sky photo is a modified texture from Flink's Sky package, which I own.

Some notes on the process:
    I use both guides and shader option to diversify the way the hair looks when I need to do something less uniform or brushed than actual hair or fur.
    When creating distribution maps I found Carrara paint tool to be most useful. In fact I think for the final effect I've only used it to paint distribution maps and shader mixer maps. I've tried it to paint actual maps, but Photohop or Gimp give me much more freedom and convenience there, so I just use Carrara paint tool to define areas where outside textures will later be applied.
    There are 7 replicators in this image: 4 surface ones for flowers and rocks, one regular randomized replicator for the butterflies, and the other 2 are for the lights.
    There are 16 directional lights here. 15 are used to simulate GI (through the replicators, so it's actually 1 light replicated 15 times: 3 on an arc, which is then replicated radially 5 times) and the 16th is "the sun". Incidentally, I discovered this GI faking light-replication trick in one of DimensionTheory's light packages and have been using this technique with various configurations and setting ever since. It's a very simple, easy and useful trick for creating fairly realistic environment lights.
    The moon actually does not emit any light, there is just glow in the shader and the aura effect on the object.
    The post is very simple: Some multi-layer compositing and strategic blurring in some layers. And that's pretty much it. I used Material Diffuse layer to fake some SSS in a few objects. Thus avoiding the render-time expense that I'd have to face if I wanted to use SSS in the shaders.

SmallWorld.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 828K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Entry no. 5
    Artist : Varsel
    Title : Flyer
    Type : Fast and Furious

I used every car in the Mesh Models to create the traffic jam. The flying beetle is originally the 70scmpct car, that has been modified and remodeled in the vertex modeler. The jets are flame primitives.
    The other pictures where created and rendered out separate.
    The Cowrara Logo is The Noggins Cow, rendered out separate, and then used as a texture on the center of the logo.

Final.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 690K
    edited December 1969

Entry number 6
    my #2
    Artist wendy♥catz
    Title: Hollywooden Dollz
    Type: Fast and Furious (life in the fast lane♪♯♪♫♫♫♯♪)
    used Woman 2
    outside content HDRI from http://hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

Hollywooden_Dollz.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
  • DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone! Sorry for having not posted in the WIP thread for this contest (or posting much in general for that matter), things tend to be busy for me these days and I haven't been very involved with forum stuff. I have been following along with the renders and I must say it's fun seeing things come from Carrara, I use DAZ Studio mostly these days just out of ease but Carrara is still my favorite software to play with. Head Wax came to me rather excited about the notion of these contests and seemed genuinely happy to put this together, so I think that he deserves some thanks for that. Community is always very important to make software thrive and he's put a lot of effort into getting something fun going in that regard, I personally appreciate this and wanted to help out where I could. Hopefully this becomes a regular thing that's able to grow bigger and bigger. Carrara has everything needed to produce beautiful images of all types if you know how to push it's buttons, and beautiful things are at their best when shared with others.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited July 2013

DimensionTheory! Thanks so much for your kindness.. It's great to see you posting in the Carrara forums again :)
    And thank you again for your generosity in sponsoring this challenge

:)

Well here is my first entry.

Entry: # 7
    Artist: Headwax
    Title: "Golden Locusts: Armageddon Day"

Golden Locusts, is a play on the title of Ray Bradbury's book "Silver Locusts" (aka as the Martian Chronicles). In that book humankind "invades" Mars and finds the remnants of a previous civilization. The book is very poignant and still worthwhile reading more than 60 years after it was written.

The rockets set the bony meadows afire, turned rock to lava, turned wood to charcoal, transmuted water to steam, made sand and silica into green glass which lay like shattered mirrors reflecting the invasion, all about. The rockets came like drums, beating in the night. The rockets came like locusts, swarming and settling in blooms of rosy smoke.

Ray Bradbury

For this I used, from the Objects folder: the Ziggaraut for the builidngs, retextured and modified with a stretch modifier. Also the Robot Object, the Litebulb. The thing down on the left foreground is the Spaceship. There are some Microphone objects attached to the rockets to resemble cables.

The rest (landscape, rocks, cliffs and rockets were made in the vertex room. The rockets have carrara fire coming out of them. I used clouds to give atmosphere and distance haze. The cliffs are vertex objects with four different rock textures combined with operators, then baked (with Baker) and exported, then re-imported as a single texture and dropped into both the textures and the displacement map. The shale on the ground is a rock object with an explosion modifier. The rocks were made with the Construct>organic command in the vertex room.

I didn't use any content because Carrara gave me everything I needed.

Thanks for looking. :)

Great images so far everyone :)

AndrewFinnieFastandFurious2.jpg
    2000 x 1493 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Entry: # 8
    Artist: Headwax
    Title: “Fast and Furious Rally, 9th July 1934 : Islamabad

For this I used every building I could find in the Objects folder and replicated them a few times.
    It was a crappy render so I did a fair amount of post work.
    I tried it with cars and it didn't work so in the end I painted the cars headlights in and gave them a motion blur in photoshop.
    There wasn't any content used in this one either (I couldn't find room for a cow :) )

AndrewFinnie.jpg
    2000 x 1253 - 1M
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited July 2013

Entry No 9

Artist 0oseven

Title RAT RACE - created entirely in Carrara 8.5 no post work.

Type " Fast and Furious" I think Rat is very furious !!!

Objects RatRocket and Spacebug

My one allowed content is the Daz Rat . His fur has been clipped and dyed to reflect latest in race kit and he wears a helmet and glasses modelled in carrara - cant see his glasses so I might put some shots in the WIP thread.

Everything else is from Carrara objects except the road which is a flattened cube textured to look like "blur" (I hope) for speed effect. Dust and smoke is volumetric and rocket flames a fire primitive.

The "rocket"
    is the Atlas from (aircraft objects) with a Mack Truck ( transport ) embedded for the wheels,hubble for it's solar panels andF16 cockpit ( aircraft) with high tech sensitive steering.
    I think the "engine" mounted behind the cockpit was taken from the Mack Truck.
    Essential onboard equipment are Carrara objects and include telescope,fire extiguisher, life-ring, anchor, telephone and emergency bike. This military version also includes cannon and rockets. It flys the Rat's national flag.

Spacebug is Santa's sleigh retextured and modified with hightech navigation (computer and video cam ) and powered by high thrust fan. Pilot is the astronaut (aircraft ). An "umbrella" is also installed to keep the sun off. Refreshments are standard equipment.
    *********************************************************************************
    Creating this was both fun and frustration. Actually the models came together very quickly but postioning them for a render took days ! First I was using Terraine and Sky but just couldn't get the look I wanted. In the end I used a backdrop picture and the flattened cube to put the rocket on.
    Lighting also was difficult using terraine( I kept losing them).There were a lot of sizing problems too.
    The flag was dynamic to begin with but I got better result for a still render by deforming a modelled panel.( mean mesh)

Anyway Rat liked the end result and although he appears to be losing says he doesn't care- says he just enjoys being in it( Yeah right !)

RAT_RACE_1600x900.JPG
    1600 x 900 - 136K
    Post edited by 0oseven on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Entry: # 10
    Artist: Diomede
    Title: Desperado of the Planet of the Apes
    Type: Quirky

planet_of_the_apes_entry.jpg
    1480 x 1973 - 250K
    edited December 1969

- objects from browser used for entry 10, desperado of the planet of the apes.
    The wagon driver is a combination of the (Astrnaut) and (human head). The driver has been rigged and posed to hold the (noose), which are the reins for the (cvrdwagon), which has procedural shaders and the cover model has been slightly modified in the spline modeling room. The ground cover is made up of replicated (palm trees) and (flowers). The riders are (gorillas) that have been rigged and posed to sit on the (galloping horse). The horses have color gradients shaders. The apes wear (gunbelts), (golf shirts), (cowboy hats), (watches), and (glasses3) -each of which has been added to the rigging so they can be posed. One of the Apes holds a (gun) that was part of the (gunbelt). I combined (house4) and the (cabin) to make the row houses, which have procedural textures. They have the (rocker) and the (bench) on the porch. The ranchhouse is (house2), with duplicated (fences) enclosing the (rhino), which has been morphed into a cow and replicated. The background also includes the (northchurch) and the (lighthouse), except the lighthouse itself was made invisible and I just used the terrain and its rocks. No content used as I understand the term, unless you count the fog primitive, which I used as dust.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

ENTRY No 11

artist 0oseven

title "Too Fast'

type Quirky and Fast

I wanted to try something abstract so got into the "Non Photo Realistic " Render - something I never looked at before so that's how the competition can get the imagination ticking over and help expand knowledge of Carrara.

Everything is from the Carrara and no post render. Objects - basically a city block with a couple of cars . The Cars were taken apart by selecting it's components ( Door, hood, Wheels etc) and applying deformers to get the damaged look. Then in the Non Photorealistic Renderer I discovered all these settings you can play with. This picture is my end result - oh one other thing, I made the "safety" sign . i was going to include a coiuple of drivers too but ran out of time.

Car_Crash_Abstract_3.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 468K
    edited July 2013

Entry: # 12
    Artist: Diomede
    Title: giant armadillo stampede
    Type: Quirky, fast

browser objects used - armadillo, motorbike, bike helmet, crash dummy

I converted the armadillo to a vertex object then used displacement and texture until I got something I liked, even if it is less like an actual armadillo then some of my other tests. It is rigged and posed in 5 different versions, then replicated. Sorry if this is a duplicate but I keep getting kicked to my account dashboard without my posts getting on.

armadillo_entry.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 154K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Entry: # 13 (Ha! I just knew, I'd get stuck with this number :D...)
    Artist: Antara
    Title: Fast and Furious
    Type: Quirky, Humorous, Fast and Furious

(At least I hope it fits all 4, if it doesn't, please let me know and I'll remove the unfitting category.)

Objects:
    Snail from Lifeforms, rigged, morphed, re-UV-mapped, with my own textures created from scratch.

Content (?) Elm Leaf from one of HowieFarkes packages.
    Plant is my own (using that leaf)
    The siren light is also created by me. Water droplets are basic spheres replicated on some of the leaves.

I wanted to use particle smoke, but that was slowing the render to the end of my patience, so even though I could get fairly good-looking smoke inside Carrara I just gave up on the wait and added it in post. Other effects added in post: Layer manipulation, glow for the siren light, DOF, some motion blur for the snail and the leaf (was also MUCH faster to add in post then render).

Snail3.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 754K
    edited December 1969

Not sure if I am stepping out of line here, but de3an left this great post in the wip thread.
    The dead line is getting close so I thought I'd better post it here.
    de3an, if you around just post as you normally would and I will delete this.
    Or if you don't want it entered please let me know.

Entry: # 14
    Artist: de3an
    Title: "Welcome to Hogtown! Where pigs learn to fly."
    Type: Quirky, Humorous, Fast and Furious

de3an said:
    Welcome to Hogtown! Where pigs learn to fly.

The plane and pig are original creations.
    The items on the ground are from the Carrara objects folder.
    Trees are from the plant editor, reproduced with replicators.
    Smoke trail is a particle generator on a motion path.

hogtown.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 324K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

Didn't realise you had to repost in here.. :roll:

Entry: # 15
    Artist: Stezza
    Title - Tools in Space

Carrara 8.5

PSE

Used the grocery bags from the packaging scene ( retextured ) in Carrara and used a lot of the tools from the tools tab in the Objects section of Carrara as well as the astronaut from the aircraft tab…

Used the ISS from NASA site..

Earth is primitve with shaders from ( I can’t remember the site )

Touched up in PSE for adding noise and sig..

Image inspired by the female astronaut who lost her tools during a space walk a few years ago… grin

Space_tools2.jpg
    900 x 675 - 544K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

Entry: # 16
    Artist: Stezza
    Title - The outhouse

In PSE11 I converted to black & white saved as a jpg then reopened it in raw format and did some minor adjustments to the clarity & vibrance..

Then used the PSE old fashioned phototool then added some orton effect & also lomo effect..

Then I used Panos FX cracked wall action and did some minor adjustments to that..

and that’s it..

outhouse.jpg
    900 x 500 - 398K
  • DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

I really like that, Stezza. It's hard to get "wear and tear" effects to properly age a photo and I think you sold it well :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited July 2013

Entry Number 17
    Artist: Dartanbeck
    Title: "Sought and Destroyed"

I used one of the jet models and replaced all of the shaders. With a bulb light inside, I made a grouping of volumetric clouds of varying brightness, opacity, and other settings - and scaled them further in the Assembly room. The terrain is two instances of the same preset terrain from the browser. It wasn't what I expected it to be, so I went into the terrain modeler and neither instance comes close to resembling what it was :) The only other light is that of the Sun Light, who is wearing a subtle lens flare.

The Waffling and Howling (Dogwaffle post) was mainly done using brushes with no pigment - simply using bleed on the brush and my strokes to finally get what I was going for.

Blast1a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 659K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Just wonderful work everyone, thank you!
    Well, voting is open now so feel free to hammer away.
    This is a quote from the first post in this thread.

QUIRKY, HUMOROUS, FAST AND FURIOUS : Carrara Challenge Number 2

Yippee smile Another successful challenge with lots of wonderful renders and WIps.!

Thank you once again to all those artists who generously donated their time to take part in this challenge.
    And thankyou again to Dimension Theory and Daz for their generous sponsorship.

Well it’s time to vote smile (Please)

Just a reminder the aim of the challenge was:

PRIMARY AIM: to produce a Quirky , Humorous and/or Action Packed Render in Carrara.

Please cast your vote in this thread.

Feel free to vote for up to TWO images.
    Each vote is one point for that image.
    You can vote for the same artist twice.

Feel free also to add any remarks you like - eg why, how you voted.
    Voting is fluid. You can change your vote at anytime up to end of voting.

At the end of voting I’ll ask our kind sponsor DimensionTheory to pick out the “honourable mention” But feel free to vote for the “honourable mention” to give him a hand.

Voting ends 4th August at 12 midnight DAZ time.

thanks again wink

PS if there is a tie I’ll ask DimensionTheory, a wonderful artist himself, to cast the deciding vote.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited July 2013

Okay,
    I'd like to start by voting for myself twice. The reason being that I want to win some of DT's goodies!
    Alright, that was truly a joke! Not that I was joking about wanting DT's stuff, but I am certainly not voting for myself! lol

After carefully reviewing the submissions against the theme here are my two votes:

Antara's "Small World" is beautifully quirky and the image barely stole my heart over d3an's quirky, fast, and furious - but Antara took that one.

Head Wax's “Fast and Furious Rally, 9th July 1934 : Islamabad” is scary fast! And it's just an amazing piece.

So there are my two: Head Wax and Antara.
    My decision on this one is final, too. Although I really like many of these - the theme was really conveyed in my opinion by the three mentioned. There was a bit of a toss up between D3an and Antara and HW. So I put it down and came back after my gig for a fresh look - and the decision was made - I'm sticking with it.

I'd like to add that evilproducer and stezza both submitted some of my favorite overall images. But they just weren't as fast and furious or quirky as the others. Possibly not the best method to go by - and I'm certainly not preaching my bizarre ideas on how to sort through this... but I wanted you to know what my thoughts were. Like last month, I'm impressed and proud of the lot of you - and would like to personally thank you for your participation. I hope you all win something!
    Edit: Oh... and Diomede's dirt bike render really had me stuck on that one too - and Antara's hookah smoking snail is really cool, too. Okay I could go through all of them like this - and maybe I will - tomorrow. It's 4am here - still exhausted from four hours straight rock drumming to a hungry audience... time for nighty-night.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

love them all - great job guys

vote for

edited December 1969

Hmmm..... A lot of great renders here. This is going to take some thought!

edited December 1969

"love them all - great job guys"

Agreed. There is something about each render that I caught my attention. Can't vote for them all, so I vote for #9 and #16.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited July 2013

WOW...all of these are amazing and really made me smile!

Am going for:

#3 Going down with the ship - Evil Producer

#4 Small World - Antara (reminded me of the British Gas TV advert, but more interesting and I love the moon)

Great stuff!

Cheers, SileneUK

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited December 1969

I'm going with #5 and #16.

I really like what Varsel did to the Bug. The only thing I would change is the position of the Bug relative to the highway below. They're both at the exact same angle which I think throws the balance off a bit. Other than that little quibble, I love the kit-bashed Bug and the advertisement concept!

I like Stezza's use of the content! The outhouse looks great and awesome use of postwork. Plus it has an airship!

My runner up would be de3an. It would have been one of my votes, but it wasn't submitted to this thread by him, so I didn't feel comfortable voting for it.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    "love them all - great job guys"

Agreed. There is something about each render that I caught my attention. Can't vote for them all, so I vote for #9 and #16.

Your image and Antara's snail were also on my list. Love the armadillo stampede!