Carrara Challenge 2: QUIRKY, HUMOROUS, FAST AND FURIOUS: Winners Declared!

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited July 2013

Well there's about four contenders in my mind, and a few other very close so it's very difficult to make a decision!
    I'm loving Diomede's quirkiness, the way Diomede has approached the problem so laterally.

0oseven's Ratrace is a classic, reminds me so much of grabbing everything from the salvage yard and just making something crazy with it to make the world's most bent chase scene :)

Bigh's sense of humour making the engine of his vintage car out of a phonograph - might just work, and having watched Wendy's process of exploring the almost human Objects and attaching her own personality/persona too them intrigues me no end!

Stezza's out house and the classical treatment of the vintage post card really sings, Evil's drama in the depth' = really impressed by rigging and retexturing the octopus and the whole idea of the image.. Dartanbeck's use of internally lit clouds really gave me a lesson.

I guess the standouts for me so far are Varsel's really professional job on the flying volkswagon, both of Antara's entries but especially the whimsy of the first one and de3an's flying pig! What a scream!

so so far I am having trouble deciding between three

Entry #4 Antara Small World
    Entry #. 5 : Varsel Title : Flyer

and I just love Entry: # 14 : de3an: “Welcome to Hogtown! Where pigs learn to fly.”

Honourable Mention Entry: # 10: Diomede: : Desperado of the Planet of the Apes

Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

I like to pick the images that talk to me..

with that in mind my first choice is quite obvious to me and that is

I love the rat race and the deciding factor was the flag ;-)

the 2nd one I also love but is not my first choice as I thought that the sub could of had a bit of lean ( or is list the correct term? ) to it with that hulk of a octopus laying all over it.

Well done to all entries, great to see all the different interpretations.. love it

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

My vote is for: #4 and #13.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited July 2013

and I cannot stand snails!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,520
    edited December 1969

# 4,
    # 16,
    # 3

There are some very nice renders. All who participated did a great job.

edited July 2013

hey Gussnemo and Horo, thank you so much for popping over from the Bryce forum :) Appreciated.

Any Carrara users here want to see what Bryce users are doing. They are having a wonderful challenge of their own with some excellent renders!

See it here: Beat the Heat.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24999/

Gussnemo's in particular made me salivate - literally

edited July 2013

I received a PM for an anonymous vote

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for hosting this challenge! It was a lot of fun.

My votes:
    1) #8 - (snipped for modesty how do I do blushing icon?)

2) #14 - I hope de3an’s image is staying. I absolutely love the idea and execution there. It fits all 3 categories of the challenge simultaneously and beautifully so. And I also love the animation look of the image. I keep waiting for that plain to zoom past the frame and find myself looking for the little you-tube-like play button in the middle.

And I’d give honourable mention to 0oseven’s #9. Although it’s running in the “Fast and Furious” theme, I think it also crosses into both others. And for me it’s just too awesomely quirky to pass.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited December 1969

I better add my third one was honorable mention and I guess same goes for Horo who followed my sparse vote casting post style!

edited July 2013

Hey! Great to see so many votes and all of them so varied! Thank you for being kind enough to vote everyone.

Well the votes so far at the end of day one!! (bearing in mind my maths is lousy and that my typing is very bad and I had a hard day at the office counting paper clips so if I have screwed up bigtime please don't yell at me :) )

#5 Artist : Varsel Title : Flyer VOTES 3
    #9 Artist 0oseven Title RAT RACE - VOTES 2
    #3 Artist: evilproducer Title: Going down with the ship VOTES 3
    #4 Artist: Antara Title: “Small World” VOTES 4
    #13 Artist: Antara Title: Fast and Furious VOTES 2
    #16 Artist: Stezza Title - The outhouse VOTES 1
    #14 Artist: de3an Title: “Welcome to Hogtown! Where pigs learn to fly.” VOTES 1
    # 8 Artist: Headwax Title: “Fast and Furious Rally, 9th July 1934 : Islamabad” VOTES 1

Honorable Mention

10 Entry: # 10 Artist: Diomede Title: Desperado of the Planet of the Apes VOTES 1
    14 Artist: de3an Title: “Welcome to Hogtown! Where pigs learn to fly.” VOTES 2
    3 Artist: evilproducer Title: Going down with the ship VOTES 1
    9 Artist 0oseven Title RAT RACE - VOTES 1

EDit removed one vote from #8 after a protest re anonymous voting

edited December 1969

I better add my third one was honorable mention and I guess same goes for Horo who followed my sparse vote casting post style!

thank you Wendy, :)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Hi Andrew,

My votes:

2) #14 - I hope de3an’s image is staying. I absolutely love the idea and execution there. It fits all 3 categories of the challenge simultaneously and beautifully so. And I also love the animation look of the image. I keep waiting for that plain to zoom past the frame and find myself looking for the little you-tube-like play button in the middle.

And I’d give honourable mention to 0oseven’s #9. Although it’s running in the “Fast and Furious” theme, I think it also crosses into both others. And for me it’s just too awesomely quirky to pass.

can't count it - we all have to post it here

edited July 2013

bigh said:
    head wax said:

Hi Andrew,

My votes:

thanks Bigh, I appreciate the sentiment.
    After all, I realise that I might just be making the votes up.

Some people would rather vote anonymously though - it was the same last time.

I don't mind removing the vote for myself but I think it would be unfair to remove the votes for de3an and Ooseven.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

My votes are
    First entry # 14 de3an "Hogtown"
    Second entry # 10 diomedes "stampede"

Really hard for me deciding - On first view of images there were some that stood out then I took a look at the "enlarged " images which brought home to me the work and ideas put into them so some took on different appeal -I also hd to remind my self of the criteria set.
    PRIMARY AIM: to produce a Quirky , Humorous and/or Action Packed Render in Carrara.

In the end the Flying Pig was just too"cute" and as far as I could tell fully created /rendered in Carrara. I like the feeling of being up in the air.
    Stampede simple with a good sense of speed and definitely very quirky.

As for honourable mention all deserve one but here are my picks

Entry # 5 Varsel "Flyer"

Entry: # 7: Headwax Golden Locusts: Armageddon Day”

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    bigh said:
    head wax said:

Hi Andrew,

My votes:

thanks Bigh, I appreciate the sentiment.
    After all, I realise that I might just be making the votes up.

Some people would rather vote anonymously though - it was the same last time.

I don't mind removing the vote for myself but I think it would be unfair to remove the votes for de3an and Ooseven.

I trust you - but I would like to see every one's vote .
    ran contests in the past - don't want to see people pop in just to vote for there bud .

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    ...ran contests in the past - don't want to see people pop in just to vote for there bud .

I would vote for my bud, but I smoked it.

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    ...ran contests in the past - don't want to see people pop in just to vote for there bud .

I believe that for sure !

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    bigh said:

I believe that for sure !

Well I certainly hope you don't think I'd lie about something like that!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

I forgot to address honorable mention. To my original post, '“love them all - great job guys” Agreed. There is something about each render that I caught my attention. Can’t vote for them all, so I vote for #9 and #16'

I would like to add

#4 small world, as honorable mention.

I also really liked Wendy's take on the browser figures in both her images. Or, I could go with using non-photorealistic render for the car crash. It inspires me to suggest that a future challenge require the use of non-photorealistic renders (and non-toon).

I'm torn between #16 and #4. I would normally have a slight penalty for the postwork in #16, but dang it, that age effect for the outhouse is tremendous. I'm sticking with #16 as the vote (along with #9) - and adding #4 as the honorable mention.

edited December 1969

Taa daah!

The votes so far! And it's very, vey close!

Thank you for being kind enough to vote everyone. :)

#5 Artist : Varsel Title : Flyer VOTES 3
    #13 Artist: Antara Title: Fast and Furious VOTES 2
    #16 Artist: Stezza Title - The outhouse VOTES 1
    #14 Artist: de3an Title: “Welcome to Hogtown! Where pigs learn to fly.” VOTES 2
    # 8 Artist: Headwax Title: “Fast and Furious Rally, 9th July 1934 : Islamabad” VOTES 1
    # 10 Artist: diomedes Title: “stampede” VOTES 1

Honorable Mention

10 Entry: # 10 Artist: Diomede Title: Desperado of the Planet of the Apes VOTES 1
    #4 Arist Antara: Title small world, VOTES 1
    : # 7: Headwax Golden Locusts: Armageddon Day” VOTES 1
    # 5 Artist: Varsel Title: “Flyer” VOTES 1

Notes: removed one vote from #8 after a protest re anonymous voting

edited July 2013

bigh said :

I trust you - but I would like to see every one’s vote .
    ran contests in the past - don’t want to see people pop in just to vote for there bud .

ah yes, as I said I have taken the vote for myself out of the running but, morally, I really need to leave the other ones up.
    Maybe the next Host will need to adress this issue initially.

Ps all my 'buds' have voted for someone else - except Dartan :) .
    Most of the others don't post here any more.
    The other buds are too busy surfing to play on the net.

trust me ;)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

trust me ;)

It's not my fault. Something about your images just stir me. evil and d3an, varsel, Bond, James Bond, I mean 0Oseven, bigh, wendy... the whole cast - the fact is that I'm a fan of most of you! So I just looked through and picked what I felt filled the theme while moving me. It's tough when all of the images are great- well - except mine! lol
  • FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay, whomever wins this round needs to modify the rules. (Sorry, Andrew, no offense.) THERE ARE JUST TOO MANY GOOD CHOICES IN THE MIX!

I actually can't think of a one that I wouldn't vote for. What's truly amazing is that most of the parts came from DAZ freebies! Truly a great set of images this month.

However, Andrew makes the rules (darn you!), so here are my TWO choices:

#13 "Fast and Furious" - Loved this one Antara from when I saw it posted early on.
    #5 "Flyer" - Great scene with lots of work. Too bad the bug's not a DeLorean. =D

(If I could vote for 3, I'd vote for #4 "Small World." Very nice work on this as well, Antara! But then the list would get longer still...)

Honorable Mention: #7 "Golden Locust" - Very nice. It could pass as the cover of a Ray Bradbury book, who's works I love! So nicely done. =)

Wish I had been near my computer enough this past month to submit one this round. Next round, all you people better be ready!

FD

edited July 2013

head wax said:

trust me ;)

It's not my fault. Something about your images just stir me. evil and d3an, varsel, Bond, James Bond, I mean 0Oseven, bigh, wendy... the whole cast - the fact is that I'm a fan of most of you! So I just looked through and picked what I felt filled the theme while moving me. It's tough when all of the images are great- well - except mine! lol

Ha ha yours taught me something I didn't know - which is one of the aims of the challenges - to pass on knowledge in a way that we learn by watching - not by being lectured to. So thanks for that!

I also learnt about the object index pass! What a score - who put me onto that? I better go and check!! I owe them big thanks also.

edited December 1969

Okay, whomever wins this round needs to modify the rules. (Sorry, Andrew, no offense.) THERE ARE JUST TOO MANY GOOD CHOICES IN THE MIX!

I actually can't think of a one that I wouldn't vote for. What's truly amazing is that most of the parts came from DAZ freebies! Truly a great set of images this month.

However, Andrew makes the rules (darn you!), so here are my TWO choices:

#13 "Fast and Furious" - Loved this one Antara from when I saw it posted early on.
    #5 "Flyer" - Great scene with lots of work. Too bad the bug's not a DeLorean. =D

(If I could vote for 3, I'd vote for #4 "Small World." Very nice work on this as well, Antara! But then the list would get longer still...)

Honorable Mention: #7 "Golden Locust" - Very nice. It could pass as the cover of a Ray Bradbury book, who's works I love! So nicely done. =)

Wish I had been near my computer enough this past month to submit one this round. Next round, all you people better be ready!

FD

Hey FD, I'm very sorry you missed out on this one, I'm sure your entry would have been just as wonderfully worthy as your one last month.

And yes I agree, once again there are too many standouts :) Makes choosing difficult.!!

Thanks for the Ray Bradbury compliment. Ah the golden days of sci fi, when I was young but old at heart. ;) Hmm, now it's the reverse, or is it a baby's brain with an old man's heart..../.?

edited December 1969

I am Ethically Compelled to vote for #5 (Flyer by Varsel) for First Place, despite the fact that he spelled Cowrarra wrong! It not only has a cow in the render, but it pokes fun at society for not delivering those flying cars (with choice of exhaust color!) we were promised in Science Fiction! And it's rendered well while at the same time demonstrating exactly why Post Work is ESSENTIAL in any of these challenges. The idea of doing something like that all in Cowrarra with no postwork is possible, but meaningless.

I would have voted for my own entry, but couldn't log in at the time I tried to post it - so I don't have one.

As for a second place, it gots to be #16 because of the Outhouse (Potty humor is the Highest form of Art!). And it's a nicely done job showing the possibilities of the included stuffs in the object folder.

Honorable Mention to Antara's Small World. It's pretty.

edited December 1969

Doot too doo! (sound of French Horn announcing Votes in long hall bethroned with the nobility of the Land)

Taa daah!

The votes so far! And it’s still velly velly close! And we have a new leader!! But, hark on yonder hill I spy a horde
    of Carrarites sitting on the fence, biding their time, maybe to see which way the wind blows...

Once again thank you to those who have been kind enough to take the time to vote.

#5 Artist : Varsel Title : Flyer VOTES 5
    #13 Artist: Antara Title: Fast and Furious VOTES 3
    #16 Artist: Stezza Title - The outhouse VOTES 2
    #14 Artist: de3an Title: “Welcome to Hogtown! Where pigs learn to fly.” VOTES 2
    # 10 Artist: diomedes Title: “stampede” VOTES 1

Honorable Mention

#4 Arist Antara: Title small world, VOTES 2
    : # 7: Headwax Golden Locusts: Armageddon Day” VOTES 2
    # 5 Artist: Varsel Title: “Flyer” VOTES 1

Notes: removed one vote from #8 after a protest re anonymous voting

, I only operate on the lowere half of my Brain on Fridays so there is every chance that I can't count, but don't worry, I will check them three times at the end and multiply the result by my birthdfay...

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Hi,

I couldn't participate to this challenge, being on holidays with the rule 'no computer on holidays' :-)
    Anyway, I couldn't resist casting a vote.

So, my votes are :

#4 Artist: Antara Title: “Small World”
    This is a gorgeous picture that shows how talented its creator is.
    #8 Artist: Headwax Title: “Fast and Furious Rally, 9th July 1934 : Islamabad”

Nominations for honorable mention :

#5 Artist : Varsel Title : Flyer
    #9 Artist 0oseven Title RAT RACE

Congratulation to everybody. I'm waiting for the next challenge ;-)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

The more the merrier!

• pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Hope I'm not too late. Hard to pick but:

Entry # 4, Artist: Antara, Title: “Small World”
    Entry: # 7, Artist: Headwax, Title: “Golden Locusts: Armageddon Day”

Amazing shots everyone!

edited December 1969

thanks Philemo and pnewhook :)