Always the darkness... when are you guys going to do nice things?

SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
edited September 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

A search on Daz3d for Monsters, Undead and generally anything to do with death and your page is loaded to the gills with darkness...

Look for "Utopia" and you find a hallway and a single building... Where's the rainbows? Where's the peace activist or the firefighters for anything Genesis? Where's the happy stuff? Where's the positive thinking?

You don't have to search for Monsters.. at Daz3d it has its own category... Where's the Jesus character? Where's the Buddha character? Where is the path of enlightenment?

Change your focus for a little while...

aLICE2e.jpg
800 x 350 - 52K
Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,857
    edited December 1969

you need better search fu

• keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Imo you don't need a Jesus character or a Buddha one, A Mohamed, Ghandi, Manitou or whatever God you wanna pray to in here... you can depict any of those just with some basic morphs of any character from Daz...

There is a big bunch of fairies, pixies and toon-like happy models as well... so, yeah, possibly you have been searching using unappropriate key words?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
    Dalai Lama
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Indeed Cho...now Daz3D make us happy. ;)

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969
  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Try searching on any of these:

Love
    Peace
    Joy
    Happy
    Dance

Lots of positive results, but maybe the OP does have a point... I'm not sure why a tank shows up in a search for "peace." :-/ (Never mind the results for "angel.")

Other good keywords: celebrate, Holiday, Family, Serene, Garden

"Buddha" does actually return some very nice statues and a temple.

• SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Dalai Lama

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step... but first you have to be willing to take a step in the right direction.

I really don't get why I constantly see Dark themes and monsters on the splash pages... The goal here is to encourage more things that aren't related to death. Why do the promotions always have to be so dark... talking about the end of the world... manifest a little love around here.

Think of this more as a product request in general... Not all of us want to contribute manifesting darkness into the world.

Angelm_wp.jpg
    1192 x 851 - 213K
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The store here caters for all needs.

There is a great deal of skimpwear which I never even look at, let alone buy. I don't generally buy monsters or dragons and such either, but if I see them, I just move on to what I really want to view. There are plenty of items in the categories you want as has been pointed out.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

chohole said:
    Dalai Lama

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step... but first you have to be willing to take a step in the right direction.

I really don't get why I constantly see Dark themes and monsters on the splash pages... The goal here is to encourage more things that aren't related to death. Why do the promotions always have to be so dark... talking about the end of the world... manifest a little love around here.

Think of this more as a product request in general... Not all of us want to contribute manifesting darkness into the world.And just WHO decided that the goal was to encourage thing's that aren't related to death? I'm not against light in all our life's but I understand also that if people did not want monsters to render with we would not have 3D monsters in the stores. Asking for the Store to change is just not going to work. And only asking that this one store needs to change is just a drop in the bucket. As long as people fear death, fear the dark, fear the inner urges of themselves or others, the need to express that fear will stay with mankind in all forms of art not just 3D. Many people enjoy that tingle of fear that dark things invoke, they like the I went there and lived beyond it feel. If that was not true Horror movies would never have exited, most books would never have been written, images (art) might not have even began. Many of the images from the past of mankind were totems to protect us from the dark in the world as seen then.
    This is one that rings true to me...
    “They say there is no light without dark, no good without evil, no male without female, no right without wrong. That nothing can exist if it's direct opposite does not also exist.” - Laurell K. Hamilton

Kiss-of-an-Angel.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 384K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

I'd rather be judged for freeing my demons then I would if I kept them caged.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Keep in mind that your talking about products here and the bottom line on that is will the time spent creating it ever come close to being payed off by the profit. I think that the bottom line is that it is easier to make a basic product "happy" or "beautiful" than it is to make a basic product into something dark or decayed. You can turn any basic character into an angel fairly easily but it isn't as feasible to turn that same basic character into a monster unless someone has a product out there that adds that darker aspect. The addition of monsters, decayed spaces, and creepy crawlers as products are actually the balancing factor. In other words, those are the things that people are not going to be as willing/able to do themselves so they are potentially better products.

edited December 1969

Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.

G. K. Chesterton, "The Red Angel"

(Just substitute "3D Content Store" for "Fairy tales," and "customer" for "child," if that wasn't clear.)

edited December 1969

I'd rather not judge you at all. When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.

What does bother me is that you imagine yourself as having a demon to free.

Everyone wants to tell you what to do and what's good for you. Let me guess, you think I want you to believe my answer. No, I want you to stop gathering information from the outside and start gathering it from the inside. People are not their thoughts, they think they are, and it brings them all kinds of sadness.

There's no greater purpose than service to others. I hope you see a light to let shine instead. Take care and be in peace.

generalg1b.jpg
    1192 x 836 - 75K
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.

G. K. Chesterton, "The Red Angel"

(Just substitute "3D Content Store" for "Fairy tales," and "customer" for "child," if that wasn't clear.)

Since we are quoting other people, I'll quote the Artist known as Prince:

2013... and the illusion continues. One begs 2 ask -
    "when will it end?"

Unnatural disasters happen seemingly every week. Train crashes, shootings, nuclear accidents; is there any place of refuge one can flee from this insanity? Very few of mankind's creations r designed 2 make u feel good, unless u get pleasure from seeing the human body desecrated by guns, explosions, fights, and any other things these so-called "artists" create. In the name of freedom, many have used art as a means 2 destroy the human mind. As an excuse 2 continue we hear "Art reflects society". How many times has this lie been repeated: "creations r not real", they say and yet any one of these people can call 2 mind images and complete scenes of horror in graphic detail. They will carry these so-called "unreal" creations around with them 4 the rest of their lives. These images r now a part of their being. In the name of RECREATION these people in fact r re-creating themselves in their own images.

SOCIETY THEN REFLECTS ART.

In man's decision 2 further separate from God, his re-creation of himself leaves him in a dysfunctional state of confusion. The mind becomes a burial ground 4 dead waste. Isolated from the wholeness of God, Earth and his fellow brothers and sisters, this man seeks solace in activities he thinks will stimulate his mind. He begins downloading in2 his brain a series of manmade creations designed 2 destroy it. All manmade creations originate from one of 2 sources: the Tree of Knowledge or the Tree of Life. One of these trees contained deadly fruit, the other - Fruit of Everlasting Life. The one who disregards this fact recreates himself and his kind in2 extinction.

U r reading these words on a machine created by man. As u read, u hear a voice speaking 2 u the words that u perceive. They make sense 2 u because u understand (stand under) the SPELLing. The words r what binds this SPELL 2 ur illusion. When u hear the truth, like a memory - u recognize it and this recognition releases u from ALL illusion. Many languages r brilliant in their attempt 2 CONfuse u. CON meaning: against, fuse meaning: 2gether. Words and their SPELLbinding illusions have the power 2 keep man separate from God. U were born in an all-knowing state of mind. The first words spoken 2 u begin the SPELL. The words come from one of 2 sources: the Tree of Knowledge or the Tree of Life. In ignorance or simply lack of respect 4 God, many use words that CONfuse the minds of humans and turn them in2 projections of their own illusions. Because of this fact, many people grow up and blindly assume their pre-selected role under a dictatorship without even being aware of it. When asked what they r doing here on earth, most will answer with statements that do not reflect their natural God-given desires. This creates a pyramid-like structure with the dictator on top, and each level under it knowing less and less. Upon reaching the bottom level - which is where the majority is, u will find chaos, disorder, and illusion. With ILL as its prefix, ILLusion is a state of insanity. In the name of democracy, supreme power is vested un2 the people in this insane state instead of God. A future re-created, 2 b ruled by man, is one of isolation and despair. Returning the leadership back in2 God will allow mankind 2 achieve its original collective goal which is union with God. Ideas contrary 2 this goal should not b blamed or persecuted - just simply ignored. They originated when man first chose 2 ignore God's rule. Simply put - in the beginning, the Human was made perfect in God's image. They had no need 4 knowledge. They were also given freedom of choice. The Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Life r reflections of this freedom. The human is now a reflection of their choice. They could have simply chose not 2 choose. God being centrifugal in nature, freedom was the CAUSE and choice was the EFFECT. In knowing their perfection made in God's image, there was no need 2 choose. In fact, their were NO NEEDS. There was only love in an all-knowing state b4 the fall. The worst thing u can do is give up ur God-given right 2 choose. 4 in it - u can choose not 2 choose. Therein is the final judgement. The illusion ceases and u awaken from ur dream. Now the healing begins...

With an all-knowing mind, made in God's image u can create as ur Creator - God intended. With love, honor and respect 4 every living thing in the universe. Separation ceases, and we all become One Being singing the One song.

prince1309_468x466.jpg
    468 x 466 - 64K
    edited December 1969

Each of our afflictions, our unwholesome mental formations, contains Buddha nature and liberation. Our anger includes all the factors that brought it about. If our anger did not contain liberation, how could we transform it into non-anger? In our compost are many fragrant flowers. A skillful gardener does not get rid of kitchen garbage but turns it into compost. In the course of time, the garbage will turn into a basket of fresh, green vegetables. If we know how to compost our afflictions of greed, hatred, ignorance, pride, doubt, views, agitation, torpor, and forgetfulness, we can transform them into peace, joy, liberation, and happiness. When we are able to touch our habit energies and transform the roots of violence, despair, fear, and anger in our store consciousness, transformation at the base occurs.

Thich Nhat Hanh, Understanding Our Mind

My point is not to simply throw quotes around, but to try to explain that what you are seeing as negative content might not be affecting others in the same way. Even what you see as the "darkest" content might be used in a very positive way by someone else. Of course, it also might be used in a very negative way... but why assume?

This is another of my favorite Thich Nhat Hanh quotes, this time from Taming the Tiger Within–Meditations on Transforming Difficult Emotions:

One of the main causes of our suffering is the seed of anger inside of us. Recognize and embrace your anger when it manifests itself. Care for it with tenderness rather than suppressing it. If you get angry easily, it may be because the seed of anger in you has been watered frequently over many years, and unfortunately you have allowed it or even encouraged it to be watered.

Anger is like a howling baby, suffering and crying. Your anger is your baby. The baby needs his mother to embrace him. You are the mother. Embrace your baby. Just breathing in and breathing out, that is good enough. Your baby will find relief right away.

I've spent quite a lot of time over the years using DAZ Studio to help form images of my anger and other difficult emotions in ways that have helped me to embrace my "howling baby." Some of these images wouldn't have been possible to create without "negative" or "dark" content... but my point was to emphasize how beautiful something could be that I had first seen as ugly.

If the content and images on this site are upsetting to you, I am very sorry to learn of that. It could be worthwhile to brainstorm together some ideas for finding ways to make this site less unpleasant for you to visit. But if you are assuming that others are being negatively affected by the content on the site, you might ask yourself how you can be sure that you understand what others are feeling when they see these images, or use this content to create images of their own.

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:

If the content and images on this site are upsetting to you, I am very sorry to learn of that. It could be worthwhile to brainstorm together some ideas for finding ways to make this site less unpleasant for you to visit. But if you are assuming that others are being negatively affected by the content on the site, you might ask yourself how you can be sure that you understand what others are feeling when they see these images, or use this content to create images of their own.

I would hardly say I'm upset in any way shape or form and I think some readers are possibly confused and think that I'm somehow against DAZ3d selling monsters... The point is that there are volumes of content full of apocalyptic themes already... no shortage of blood, guts and weapons.

There is a large gap when it comes to products that aren't the "destroyed bridge" or the dirty alleyway, crypts, tombs... not a lot of products artist can use to demonstrate a positive future and given the number of negative responses I've gotten already... I can see why. Some act like if a few more fire-fighters and positive role models are created that suddenly they won't have a huge variety of monsters to slay that already exist. You already have lots of it and I'm fine with that... how about make the focus a bit more positive in the future...

And admin... stop telling me what can't be done.. You don't know the future and if you do.. tell me tomorrows lottery numbers.

07scene0j6.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 75K
  • SkelchSkelch Posts: 275
    edited December 1969

Wow someone asks for positive content to be sold from the DAZ store and for some reason it stirs up a great deal of negative responses. :)

For my quote I quote Johnny Storm "Flame on" (sorry I had to find a way to use that quote)

I don't think anyone is asking to change the store, just add some content that is happier.

I lean toward violence, scifi, and super heros myself, but I could spend some money on religious or 'happy' content from time to time. I think it is rather a good idea myself.

Ok two cents added.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,402
    edited December 1969

PA's make what sells best for them. If a dirty alleyway don't sell for them they are gonna go to another genre. Almost every PA has tested the waters in every area, but they aren't going to make something that isn't going to sell for them.

edited August 2013

Skelch said:
    Wow someone asks for positive content to be sold from the DAZ store and for some reason it stirs up a great deal of negative responses. :)

For my quote I quote Johnny Storm "Flame on" (sorry I had to find a way to use that quote)

I don't think anyone is asking to change the store, just add some content that is happier.

I lean toward violence, scifi, and super heros myself, but I could spend some money on religious or 'happy' content from time to time. I think it is rather a good idea myself.

Ok two cents added.

As regards anything with a religious context, that could tend to be problematic. because according to some estimates, there are roughly 4,200 religions in the world.

Also Posts that appear to lead to debate on personal beliefs such as politics or religion will not be allowed in the DAZ 3D forums.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

A good 90% of the content I create tends to be happy images and almost all of it was made using content purchased from the Daz store. Art is what the user makes of it, not what is thrust upon you. A monster to you could be a gentle giant to another, for example. PA's will sell what makes them money, and that should never change. It's nice to see PA's venture outside their comfort zone once in a while, but don't expect it regularly because it's often a gamble as to whether it's well received or not.

The store merely gives us the tools. A tool is neither good nor evil, it merely works towards its master's goals. We had angelic beings on the Daz splash page for 4.5, and there's enough cutesy sweet items to give you diabetes. You define your art, not the content.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

As regards anything with a religious context, that could tend to be problematic. because according to some estimates, there are roughly 4,200 religions in the world..

Sounds like your missing out on a HUGE market then.... Hmmmm One doesn't have to be religious, to want positive role models and content... but on the other hand, what would be wrong with providing artist with content like a posable Jesus character or Buddha... are we such fascist that we can't allow content that would be good for the Sunday church program?

Separation between church and state doesn't apply to selling content for graphic artist to use and as I stated, this is a product request that doesn't need admin to tell me that they don't like religion.

edited December 1969

Oh dear, which Admin did that, I must have missed the post. :roll:

edited December 1969

chohole said:

As regards anything with a religious context, that could tend to be problematic. because according to some estimates, there are roughly 4,200 religions in the world..

Sounds like your missing out on a HUGE market then.... Hmmmm One doesn't have to be religious, to want positive role models and content... but on the other hand, what would be wrong with providing artist with content like a posable Jesus character or Buddha... are we such fascist that we can't allow content that would be good for the Sunday church program?

Separation between church and state doesn't apply to selling content for graphic artist to use and as I stated, this is a product request that doesn't need admin to tell me that they don't like religion.

Nobody said they didn't like religion. All that was said was that the discussion on views of religion and politics is prohibited under the TOS.

edited August 2013

It is only a large market if people are doing that type of image. In reality there is a very small market for those types of products. I should know, I have a couple.

I really think your having more issues with the search than with the products. There actually is a firefighter product in the store for example. and as for the "large gap when it comes to products that aren’t the “destroyed bridge” your right. But not about the destroyed being anywhere near the majority when you search the word bridge. There are over 20 bridges and there are only 2 that are clearly destroyed, there are about 4 that are old or aged in some way, though arguably those are not dark, and one bridge in a sewer which is also not by necessity dark. I suppose one might perceive things that are older or in a dark environment as somehow sinister or dark but that is purely subjective to the viewer and their personal outlook. Pretty sure that you could work an aged bridged in a landscape into a light and airy fairy image just as easily as a shiny new bridge.

Oh and actually look up what fascism means before you bandy it about.

Post edited by Khory on
    edited December 1969

Religious products aren't done because they cause to much controversy which in turns can cause you to lose customers.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Do me a favor... if you have an administrator title.. please stay out of my conversations and let DAZ3D customers talk freely. Really,... if I step out of line.. moderate my post. All you do is tell me what you think can't be done or you antagonize anything you don't agree with.

You guys abuse your power on this message board.

This is a product suggestion. It doesn't require your two cents unless you are going to help convey my idea of making products that promote positive themes.

edited December 1969

It doesn’t require your two cents unless you are going to help convey my idea of making products that promote positive themes.

Unless they are participating, which as customers they have a right to do or unless they are squelching hot button topics like politics and religion as per the TOS.

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

The goal of a product suggestion is that a PA will see it and pick up on it. Most of the admins, CV's, and Mods are PA's. By telling them to stay out of a thread you are alienating those who could potentially help you.

I didn't see anywhere in this thread where an admin said your suggestion couldn't be done. It definitely could if there is a PA that is interested. People are simply pointing out reasons why PA's have shied away from religious content in the past.

• SkelchSkelch Posts: 275
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Do me a favor... if you have an administrator title.. please stay out of my conversations and let DAZ3D customers talk freely. Really,... if I step out of line.. moderate my post. All you do is tell me what you think can't be done or you antagonize anything you don't agree with.

You guys abuse your power on this message board.

This is a product suggestion. It doesn't require your two cents unless you are going to help convey my idea of making products that promote positive themes.

Now now I think they have the right to chime in for sure, this positive request is so quickly taking a negative tone. :(

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

I'd rather not judge you at all. When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.

What does bother me is that you imagine yourself as having a demon to free.

Everyone wants to tell you what to do and what's good for you. Let me guess, you think I want you to believe my answer. No, I want you to stop gathering information from the outside and start gathering it from the inside. People are not their thoughts, they think they are, and it brings them all kinds of sadness.

There's no greater purpose than service to others. I hope you see a light to let shine instead. Take care and be in peace.

Siddhartha (and Sideshow Bob from the Simpsons) once said "Desire is the root of all suffering" and suffering is the commonality of all great art from all great artists. Rob Ross could paint a happy tree like no other but a Van Gogh is priceless for a reason, and that reason is not because it's pretty.

This discussion has been closed.