Star Trek Builders Unite 8: THE REBOOT

Comments

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436
    N_R Arts said:
    N_R Arts said:
    It did load in Daz, but the mesh became distorted and sort of "exploded" in a few places.

That looks like the mesh has a few n-gons (polygons with more than four sides; DAZ|Studio does not like these) and it's imported with all materials set with Ambient and Specular at 100% white (happens sometimes, depending on how the original model's materials are set up). The materials are easily fixed by adjusting the parameters in the Surfaces tab, but the n-gons problem can only be fixed by loading the mesh into an actual 3D modeller such as Hexagon, then save it back out after splitting the glitching polys.

I don't think I'm going to be able to fix it. It's very slow on loading in Hexagon (via the Daz/Hexagon Bridge). It takes about a minute just to select one face. Then when I try to triangulate the n-gons, Hexagon gives me an error which tells me to save my work and close the program as soon as possible. 

Right now, the plan is to load the fbx version into Blender, convert n-gons into tris that way, then save/export as an obj. Hopefully, it'll also lower the file size (and will be a plan that actually works). 

• Has anyone used the Holodeck from Vanishing Point? (http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freeitemdetail.asp?FreeItemID=42).

I can import it (It's a poser file), but it is complaining that "Square.obj" is missing from /Runtime/Geometries/props/.  I'd like to use this, but no such luck...  

Anyone know of a valid holodeck set, texture, etc, that I might be able to use.  (I grabbed the Holo Arch from sharecg... But I'd like a wall to use with it.

• The Square.obj is probably the Poser square primitive — the Holodeck is a very old Poser-format model, in fact I'm not sure if DAZ|Studio existed at the time. Unlike in D|S, where primitives are created when you want one, Poser has the meshes for the primitives stored in the /Geometries/props/ folder. One solution would be to put a D|S square primitive into a blank scene, then export that into /Geometries/props/ as an .obj file with the proper name, but I'm not sure what size to set it, or what other properties it should have.

• blutobluto Posts: 828

some props ive been working on , but with my own little twist

Render 1.jpg
    1325 x 876 - 104K
    Render 2.jpg
    1325 x 876 - 77K
    Render 3.jpg
    1325 x 876 - 85K
    Render 4.jpg
    1325 x 876 - 98K
    Render 5.jpg
    1325 x 876 - 175K
    Render 6.jpg
    1325 x 876 - 363K
    Render 8.jpg
    1325 x 876 - 235K
    Render 9.jpg
    1325 x 876 - 177K
    Render 10.jpg
    1325 x 876 - 192K
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582

Bluto!  Those are pretty d*** sweet!

I saw a render of yours from the other week and I noticed the phaser.  At first I thought it was MechMaster's that you commissioned several years ago, but then I relaized the emitter was different.  So, it's your work, eh?  I love it!  The tapered cones of the phaser's emitter really work well!  The reenforcing "frame" bracing the comm's antenna "lid" makes a lot of sense, given it's "field" equipment that can suffer "dings" and scrapes.  Finally, your tricorder showcases a feature given to the original prop but mostly overlooked in the series, the lower storage compartment.  Even I did not know of that design until a few years ago.  Realizing it had that aspect all along, suddenly the original tricorder is no longer "clumsily bulky" compared to the later devices (like the clamshell" unit from "Next Gen").  In effect the device is really half or its overall volume, the sensory, computing and recording features housed in the upper half of the "box".

I look forward to their release!

Sincerely,

Bill

they will be released but not as freebies , however i intend to keep the cost low so anyone can use them. they will be for poser at first but john over at vanishing point wants to make them work with daz studios as well

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    N_R Arts said:
    N_R Arts said:
    N_R Arts said:
    It did load in Daz, but the mesh became distorted and sort of "exploded" in a few places.

That looks like the mesh has a few n-gons (polygons with more than four sides; DAZ|Studio does not like these) and it's imported with all materials set with Ambient and Specular at 100% white (happens sometimes, depending on how the original model's materials are set up). The materials are easily fixed by adjusting the parameters in the Surfaces tab, but the n-gons problem can only be fixed by loading the mesh into an actual 3D modeller such as Hexagon, then save it back out after splitting the glitching polys.

I don't think I'm going to be able to fix it. It's very slow on loading in Hexagon (via the Daz/Hexagon Bridge). It takes about a minute just to select one face. Then when I try to triangulate the n-gons, Hexagon gives me an error which tells me to save my work and close the program as soon as possible. 

Right now, the plan is to load the fbx version into Blender, convert n-gons into tris that way, then save/export as an obj. Hopefully, it'll also lower the file size (and will be a plan that actually works). 

Load the file up in the Lightwave 3D trial.  Set your selection mode to Polygons, then bring up scene statistics.  Select faces with >4 vertexes.by clicking the "+" next to that item in the scene statistics.  Then use the "Triangulate" button in the "modify" tab (I think, doing this from memory.)  Then deselect all the faces, and re-export as .OBJ.

This may or may not fix the issue, depending on the actual shape of the n-gons.  There are usually other options that will work (Triangle Fan or such).

a few mor coming your way eventually

field med kit.jpg
    1325 x 876 - 198K
    kahn era phaser 2.jpg
    1324 x 876 - 92K
    kahn era phaser 3.jpg
    1324 x 876 - 102K
    kahn era phaser.jpg
    1324 x 876 - 97K
    kahn era tricorder 2.jpg
    1325 x 876 - 126K
    kahn era tricorder.jpg
    1325 x 876 - 119K
  • Bluto,  really looking awesome!

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Those look really good Bluto

i just cant stop myself 

patrole.jpg
    2500 x 1875 - 3M

just becouse

defence.jpg
    2500 x 1875 - 4M

Interesting...

Something about that first composition makes me think it's a stage for a Klingon opera.

Now I'm mentally hearing Klingons singing "Kill the tribbles!  Kill the tribbles!", spoofing the Chuck Jones short "What's Opera, Doc?" which, in turn, spoofed Wagner's iconic "Ride of the Valkyries".

Sincerely,

Bill

edited September 2018
    It's not often that I get a reply on these forums that actually makes me chuckle but now bill I can't get that thought out of my mind . kill the tribbles , kill the tribbles !! All I can say it's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that
    Post edited by bluto on

You should have seen what I did some 20 odd years ago at Dragon*Con.  Members of the KAG (Klingon Assault Group) fan club had a table promoting their local chapter.  Upon the table was a small, barred cage.  within the cage was a "tribble" with what appaered to be electrodes with nasty looking clamps pinned to the "animal".  when a switch was thrown, the "tribble" would violently thrash within the confines while one heard the buzzing of electricity and tortured shrieks!  In reality, it was, of course, just a "plush".  A motor from a, ahem, "personal massage device" was housed under the fur.  the electrodes, ironically did transmit power to the motor, the conventional flashlight cells stored within what looked like a motorcycle battery that also housed the audio system.

Yeah, it might be considered 'twisted', but obviously no real animal was being harmed and it fit fans' expectations of Klingons given they bragged about exterminating the tribble species in "Deep Space Nine".

Sincerely,

Bill

• Ooooo, I like the "speedbumps" on these Klingons.  Are those Klingons made with Genesis 3, or were they made with one of the older character series?  If they're Genesis 2 or 3, where can I get the forehead-bump morphs?  The only ones I've been able to find have been for pre-Genesis.  oO

edited September 2018
    Those Klingons are Victoria and Michael 4 , at one point P . D . Smith was talking about translating those morphs into the genesis platform . I don't know whether he ever did that or not . they are from the space people morph pack that I put up on share CG. As a side note it's interesting that both morphs will work on either figure so you get four Klingon morphs for the price of 2 not that I'm charging as it was a freebie
    Post edited by bluto on
  • bluto said:
    As a side note it's interesting that both morphs will work on either figure so you get four Klingon morphs for the price of 2 not that I'm charging as it was a freebie

Should be OK, I don't think anyone here will let the Ferengi know.  

edited September 2018

they can also be dialed up or down to strengthen or lessen the ridges, some klingons have learned to duck under low lying bulkheads

Post edited by bluto on
  • nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,873
    edited September 2018
    bluto said:
    Those Klingons are Victoria and Michael 4 , at one point P . D . Smith was talking about translating those morphs into the genesis platform . I don't know whether he ever did that or not . they are from the space people morph pack that I put up on share CG. As a side note it's interesting that both morphs will work on either figure so you get four Klingon morphs for the price of 2 not that I'm charging as it was a freebie

Yeah, those V4 and M4 ones on ShareCG were the ones I was thinking of, and in fact I grabbed them awhile back.  I want to put Klingon forehead bumps onto a G3M character though, and I was attempting to convert those over to G3M via.... I want to say GenX, but I'm totally a novice at trying to make that work, and went into it with a sort of broad-strokes, not-even-sure-if-I'm-doing-this-right-but-I'm wading-through-some-tutorial-page sort of way, and couldn't even get those particular morphs to show up for me.  oO

Very likely I was doing it wrong, but I'm not quite sure how to do it right, yet. :D

On the other hand, thank you @galatt for the Genesis 1 ones on Deviantart, I've stored those links for later.

Anyway, ideally I want foreheard bumps similar to what Worf has.  Anyone know of ones for G2M or G3M like that? 

I'm guessing those Genesis 1 ones are probably easier to convert (via GenX or such) to G3M since Genesis 1 at least is more similar internally within the Daz system than V4 and M4 are to Genesis 3, but its 4am right now and I should probably try to fiddle with it when I'm more fresh for the day or something.  :)

edit: Okay, grabbed the two G1 Klingon morphs from Deviantart...  and will twiddle with them later.  >>crawls off to bed<<

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
  • Is there someone here that would like to take this thread over as I am quiting 3D art and it wouldn't be fair to the rest of you that are keeping it going.

• Is there someone here that would like to take this thread over as I am quiting 3D art and it wouldn't be fair to the rest of you that are keeping it going.

Sorry to hear you’re leaving 3d art..  best of luck to you!

• rschulte said:

Is there someone here that would like to take this thread over as I am quiting 3D art and it wouldn't be fair to the rest of you that are keeping it going.

Thanks, There just isn't any enjoyment in it for me anymore. I haven't opened Studio in over a month and this is the first time I have gone into the forum since I set up this thread. I may return eventually but right now I don't really see that happening. 

• rschulterschulte Posts: 482
    edited September 2018
    rschulte said:

Is there someone here that would like to take this thread over as I am quiting 3D art and it wouldn't be fair to the rest of you that are keeping it going.

Thanks, There just isn't any enjoyment in it for me anymore. I haven't opened Studio in over a month and this is the first time I have gone into the forum since I set up this thread. I may return eventually but right now I don't really see that happening. 

I completely understand... when my dad passed away, I became my mom’s caregiver full time...it’s been rough and I barely can get on my computer anymore.  

My last freebie was posted over a year ago, but only this month I’ve opened poser and starting to create new content again.  Take some time me off for yourself and hopefully you’ll come back refreshed.

Post edited by rschulte on
  • GatorGator Posts: 1,268

Dang, sad to see you go!  sad

Dang, sad to see you go!  sad

Thanks, as I have said there jsut isn't any enjoyment in it anymore and I haven't produced any artwork in months. When I do open studio it is more of an episode in frustration and agrivation than enjoyment. 

• shadowhawk1 Thanks for starting this!  I'd volunteered to start it but I kind of have been moving and unpacking the last few months. Sorry to see you leave.  Completely understand. I'm at a place now (actually have stable internet and am mostly unpacked) to where I can take over again. 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

shadowhawk1 Thanks for starting this!  I'd volunteered to start it but I kind of have been moving and unpacking the last few months. Sorry to see you leave.  Completely understand. I'm at a place now (actually have stable internet and am mostly unpacked) to where I can take over again. 

If you wish to take over the thread we can make you the Author of the first post in the thread. However we can't alter the name of the poster on any other than the first post.

• shadowhawk1 Thanks for starting this!  I'd volunteered to start it but I kind of have been moving and unpacking the last few months. Sorry to see you leave.  Completely understand. I'm at a place now (actually have stable internet and am mostly unpacked) to where I can take over again. 

I know you have been moving and dealing with issues associated with that and understand that completely. Once you get everything sorted out and if someone hasn't already taken over I will be more than happy to let you have it.