Star Trek Builders Unite 8: THE REBOOT

Comments

• The cr2 file reads and loads the obj and all the parameters ( rotation,scale,bend etc) for it then it reads the mtl file in order to load and apply the materials to the surfaces

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

A cr2 should contain all the material data and not refer to the mtl file at all.

• handyman4545handyman4545 Posts: 399
    edited October 2018

Ok.

I'm new at this whole 3D process. 
    I now have:
      Blender (zero working exp)
      Hexagon (1200 plus hrs working exp)
      DAZ Studios latest ver (600 hrs working exp)
      AutoCAD (thousands of hrs workg exp)
      AutoCAD Wire 3D (Zero hrs exp)

How do I create a cr2, or some other file that refers to the obj from what I have available, or what do I need to accomplish this?

In lew of that, how do I modify a cr2 file to make it do what I want it to do?

Post edited by handyman4545 on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,270
    edited October 2018

Ok.

I'm new at this whole 3D process. 
    I now have:
      Blender (zero working exp)
      Hexagon (1200 plus hrs working exp)
      DAZ Studios latest ver (600 hrs working exp)
      AutoCAD (thousands of hrs workg exp)
      AutoCAD Wire 3D (Zero hrs exp)

How do I create a cr2, or some other file that refers to the obj from what I have available, or what do I need to accomplish this?

In lew of that, how do I modify a cr2 file to make it do what I want it to do?

aCr2 files are text files and can be opened and edited in a text editor like notpad ++

I don't see Poser listed in your post and unless your using Poser there's not any real need to edit cr2's as Studio will open them and then you can resave them in Studios duf format

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • Whos working with what version of Poser?

• blutobluto Posts: 828
    edited October 2018

I am working with poser 11 Pro And hexagon I am actually building quite a few of the props that n ventt uses with his Star Trek outfits for Genesis 2

Post edited by bluto on
  • blutobluto Posts: 828
    edited October 2018

N vent's new Klingon outfit for g2 will have quite a lot of interesting props with it it . It will have a disruptor and a belt holster for the disruptor. a communicator and a belt holster for the communicator . various sash pins to assign to whatever house you choose. it will have a scanning device because it being a Klingon tool you can't call it a tricorder because , well that's a federation tool an agonizer and I'm not quite sure yet whether or not we are going to include the Klingon style dagger and sheath . that one will be entirely up to nvent

Post edited by bluto on
  • I have Poser 11 Pro but haven't used it in several months

• aNYONE HAVE AN OLDER VERSION TO SELL?

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Actually, DAZ Studio itself can create .cr2 files, if you really need or want them. You just need to use the Export function and select .cr2. If you have the Poser Export Format plugin you can also create .pz2 files as well.

• Noted.
    Applied successfully. Thank you Six.

As stated before, I'm new to this art form so I'm asking a lot of protocol questions before I do somthing stupid or illegle.
    Since this part is off topic for this thread, I'm taking the rest of this discussion to 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/284006/cr2-file-format-to

to continue the thread. Any additional assistance would be appreciated.

• FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Redfern said:

From the deft hand of Oshikai (a vendor at this site), arguably THE most definitive Gorn assemblyI

Upon seeing this piece I posted at Deviant Art...

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3359981/#Comment_3359981

...one in which I placed a "props" upon the feet and shoulders of Michael 2 (because it had the muscularity I wanted), Oshi decided to expand and greatly improve the concept.  And mercy did he ever improve upon it!

He opted to use the still available Michael 4 (a prudent choice).  Rather than simply "parenting" static "prop" type files to the head and feet, he modeled a set of conforming legs with suitably reptilian feet (and the proper number of toes) along with a headpiece with much cleaner geometry (using XCalPro's prop as a template).  He also modeled and rigged a much more screen accurate tunic (with belt and buckle) and bracers that properly cover the hands.  He also plugged together a material node matrix more closely resembling the cast rubber "skin" stunt actor Bobby Clark wore.  Though Oshi kept my node based "fly eye" procedural.  Thanks!

The only thing Oshikai made not yet done when he let me test the files was a texture for the tunic.  He let me have a shot at that.  I was able to find a photo of the tunic displayed in a museum.  From that I was able to crop a section revealing 4 different abstractly designed "circles".  This design is repeated across the surface.  I also noticed the pattern was 9 "circles" tall from the neck down to the bottom of the front flap and 2 "circles" wide.  This served as a convenient "anchor" point when I replicated the "swatch" into a checkerboard texture and tweaked the UV layout of the tunic sections.  To (hopefully) hide the fact I derived the pattern from a rather small "swatch", I added "noise" to both the diffuse, specular and bump channels.

What really inspired oshikai was learning there existed a downloadable model of a Gorn head, one XCalPro modeled and later I morphed to look more accurate to Wah Chang's iconic design.  TonyO got the basics, I just tweaked a few elements here and there.  That resulted in a burst of creavity for Oshikai.

So let's give him a round of applause!

Sincerely,

Bill

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582

On behalf of Oshikai, thanks, DemonSlayer!  I don't know if he visits these forums, so I'll pass along your praise for his craftsmanship.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Redfern said:

On behalf of Oshikai, thanks, DemonSlayer!  I don't know if he visits these forums, so I'll pass along your praise for his craftsmanship.

Sincerely,

Bill

Do you know if he's going to make this available?

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582

I can't say for certain, but I don't see why he would not.  He offers several items through his Tumblr page free of charge, a few of which were formerly sets for purchase (like the Retro Dress for Aiko 3).

I'll pass along your interest in the collection.  Or maybe Oshikai himself will "chime in" here.  He is, after all, a vendor at this store.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited October 2018

This is the first image I've done with a populated bridge.
    I'm pretty impressed with the results even if it's still in a platinum color (still can't figure out how to retain the colors).

I'm still working on the bridge and the instruments.

What blows my mind is that there are so many different parts to this art.
    Each piece has had to be crafted individually and the time involved is staggering.
    I love it but it's unbelievable how much time you put into these renderings.

• jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230

Yes it takes a lot of time and patience  and you go down a lot of dead ends but its worth it when you produce something which fit in with your  own vision. This is my USS T'pol bridge built in Hexagon, exported in .obj then rendered in poser

Bridge 4.jpg
    1900 x 937 - 1M
    Bridge 2.jpg
    1900 x 937 - 1M
  • Wicked!
    Great work Jag!

This is my NavCon at the moment.
    A bit primitive but getting there.

• The best part about building these as 'sets' is that you can re-use them over and over again once you're done with them in all sorts of ways. :)  Time well spent. 

• The best part about building these as 'sets' is that you can re-use them over and over again once you're done with them in all sorts of ways. :)  Time well spent. 

I just wish I had the skills and patience to do my own. :D

edited October 2018

This is the latest.
    I'm now mucking around learning how to map and texture.

I haven'tfigured out the mapping part completly yet.
    I can't get the multiple screens to map on one object (the console) so I had to create a seperate "primitive" for each screen and insert it into teh console base to get this far.

I'll use Photoshop later to address the display peculariarities regarding my ships engineering as opposed tio the galaxy class ship in the images.

• This is the latest.
    I'm now mucking around learning how to map and texture.

I haven'tfigured out the mapping part completly yet.
    I can't get the multiple screens to map on one object (the console) so I had to create a seperate "primitive" for each screen and insert it into teh console base to get this far.

I'll use Photoshop later to address the display peculariarities regarding my ships engineering as opposed tio the galaxy class ship in the images.

If I'm going that route that's usually what I do as well. You can always group them together later. Also makes it easier to change images later if needed

edited October 2018

These are screen shots of the Hexagon setup.
    I still haven't figured out how to get it into DAZ with the color and monitor deispays.
    But I'm getting close I think.

Can't you just see the balloons!

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

These are screen shots of the Hexagon setup.
    I still haven't figured out how to get it into DAZ with the color and monitor deispays.
    But I'm getting close I think.

Can't you just see the balloons!

For Iray, put the image map in both the diffuse and emission channels.  Set the emission colour to white.  Adjust to your liking.

• LOL...
    Matty.
    Thank you so much for your suggestions and I'd be overjoyed to try them but I haven't a clue how to do any of that.

I have no idea how to put the image map anywhere much less where to find "channels". [chuckles]
    Sorry. I'm a cad genius and a DAZ newby. 

• LOL...
    Matty.
    Thank you so much for your suggestions and I'd be overjoyed to try them but I haven't a clue how to do any of that.

I have no idea how to put the image map anywhere much less where to find "channels". [chuckles]
    Sorry. I'm a cad genius and a DAZ newby. 

You'll find those under surfaces by opening the surfaces tab or using the surface selection tool

edited October 2018

Robert:
    Thank you greatly for your direction.

As a gentle reminder to those learned folks out therre that are kind enough to take the time to ofer assistance to those of us apprenticees. 

When you speak of operations and or procedures, it helps us greatly if you mention the "Tabs" and the "Panes" where we can find these wonderous tools in your teachings.

Moving on...

As I stated before, I'm still confused.
    I've been inside the "Surfaces" pane a couple times and looked at every control within what shows up as DAZ has set it up for the new user (default settings).
    Within the "Surfaces" pane, the only tabs I have to choose from are "Presets", "Editor" and "Shader Baker".

None of those indicate an option to access "Difuse" or "Emmission" channels or for that matter, "Channels" at all.

Am I missing a tab?

• They would be under the editor 

The only reason I can think of them not being there is that the surface hasn't been uv mapped or assigned a material (name, screen ,table, chair etc)

I understand that your using Hex for modeling and unfortunately I can't help with that program as I was never able to get it to run long enough to do anything in it

The only reason I can think of them not being there is that the surface hasn't been uv mapped or assigned a material (name, screen ,table, chair etc)

I understand that your using Hex for modeling and unfortunately I can't help with that program as I was never able to get it to run long enough to do anything in it

I ran into the same issues. It crashed for me constantly

It was UV mapped, asigned a name and linked to the image and in Hexagon, it works fine.
    It's just DAZ that's bunging it up.
    That's not to say of course, that it's not me goofing up the load.