Carrara Challenge 42 – PIONEERS – Dedicated to Eric Winemiller - WIP

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

thanks @diomede

you know you can tell the toon pro plugin not to line draw on the hair and brows if you want..

I've started on my next model...

I'll just post the WiP and see if it's recognisable to anyone.. ( Australians will have an advantage )

used toonwire pro on this one as well.

Sir Douglas Mawson - Ernest Shackleton’s 1907–1909 Nimrod expedition to Antartica, and the longest Antarctic man-hauling sledge journey of 122 days ?

Was wondering if it was the Nimrod or the Australasian Antarctic Expedition (AAE) that you were doing - poor Huskys....

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited September 2018

Been working on setting up the interior of my ship. I have one character done. I am going to work on setting up the exterior next.

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 4.14.26 PM.png
    3508 x 1718 - 714K
    test interior02.png
    1280 x 720 - 272K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited September 2018

A test planet. I used a seperate sphere for the planet, the cloud layer, and the "atmosphere." I used Fake Freznel in the glow channel and the alpha channel for the atmosphere sphere. I exluded the atmosphere sphere from the lights because it was making the rest of the planet look dark.

planet test.png
    1280 x 720 - 531K
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,411

A test planet. I used a seperate sphere for the planet, the cloud layer, and the "atmosphere." I used Fake Freznel in the glow channel and the alpha channel for the atmosphere sphere. I exluded the atmosphere sphere from the lights because it was making the rest of the planet look dark.

Beautiful effect!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited September 2018

@Evilproducer - that is an excellent planet effect and the ridge of the spaceship looks promising.  Can't wait to see this come together.

@Stezza - amazing that you already have an antry ready to go.  Wow.  

I've made a couple of changes that won't be obvious, such as improving the mustache portion of the beard, which had been too thin.  I also edited the uvmapping for the neck.  These and other changes are minor and probably can't be noticed for the moment.

The main thing in this update is the figure rigging.  I've made my customary empty correction morphs for the meshes and attached to a new skeleton.  I was a little worried about whether the animation group functions would remain active if I was using multple meshes franken-fitted together.  Very happy to report that it does not have to be a single mesh.  As long as there are no subgroups, and the meshes and the skeleton are attached before grouping, the NLA pose clip function seems to be working.  This was just a test of creating, saving, and applying a pose clip for the multi-mesh pioneer.

With a few adjustments to weightmaps, this fella will be ready to go. yes

To create a new clip, select the animation group level and the NLA tab will appear. Pose the figure and click the create button.  Newly created clips will appear in your instances tray under the clip tab.  You can load existing clips from your browser t the scene by dragging to your clip tab.

To apply a clip, drag from your instances tray (lower right) to the TRACK in the sequencer

ee02b save and apply master clip pose in NLA track.jpg
    1910 x 1015 - 193K
    ee04b animaiton group NLA menu.jpg
    1917 x 1003 - 228K
    ee05b clip created gets saved within the scene need t save to browser if want use later.jpg
    1920 x 1002 - 230K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • head wax said:
    It's a little known fact that the famous British Scientist Michael Faraday invented the party balloon.

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Well, that is a bit of a stretch (ouch), but a superb render and postwork.

• head wax said:

first go of the amazing shader gel. the cobblestones are projected from the spot light!

That is amazing!  My mind is officially blown.

• Been working on setting up the interior of my ship. I have one character done. I am going to work on setting up the exterior next.

Both are excellent!

• The lighting is minimal on the bridge because when the scene comes together, the POV will be the planet outside the front windshield. I'm putting the two scenes together seperately to save on resources, and then will merge them together for the final render. 

edited September 2018

Here is another test of the planet. I have three spline torusi with no thickness. I have one with a lot of rocks replicated on it. The second torus is lifted a bit above the first torus and has fewer rocks replicated on it. The purpose is so that there is some "depth" to the ring with some rocks above the plane so to speak. The third torus has a replicated cloud for the dust. I may play around and reduce the opacity of the clouds a bit. All of the spline torusi have their visibility off.

I'm imagining this is an exoplanet around Proxima Centauri, which is a red dwarf that a supposed earth sized exoplanet orbits. Not sure if I'll squeeze Centauri Prime or the other Centauri sun into the frame or not. Kind of depends on how it affects the lighting.

planet test02.png
    1280 x 720 - 713K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited September 2018

thanks ub , :) wow evil et al impressive - sorry quick visit will come back tomorrow and comment

here's a quick play with anything grooves using a render fromour first challenge with plants placed on a plain plane and using that render as the shader to drive the anything grooves - you can see this would be great for things like egyptian wall releifs rosetta stone and embossed floor tiles even pressed metal ceilings 

i jumped up the u and v parameters to 700 to get more detaill in the displacement'

serata-1.jpg
    2507 x 1085 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on

Here is another test of the planet. I have three spline torusi with no thickness. I have one with a lot of rocks replicated on it. The second torus is lifted a bit above the first torus and has fewer rocks replicated on it. The purpose is so that there is some "depth" to the ring with some rocks above the plane so to speak. The third torus has a replicated cloud for the dust. I may play around and reduce the opacity of the clouds a bit. All of the spline torusi have their visibility off.

I'm imagining this is an exoplanet around Proxima Centauri, which is a red dwarf that a supposed earth sized exoplanet orbits. Not sure if I'll squeeze Centauri Prime or the other Centauri sun into the frame or not. Kind of depends on how it affects the lighting.

wow that's a hugely good render evil - the fake fresnel does the trick beautifully

edited September 2018
    head wax said:

first go of the amazing shader gel. the cobblestones are projected from the spot light!

That is amazing!  My mind is officially blown.

thank you UB - the nbook I am winding up I am going back to some of the images and dirtying up the lighting by grabbing textures from the scene - just makes a wonderful difference as far as dirtying up the imagery and getting away from the cg look but still keeping an organic coherence in the style

thank you for your kind comment on the faraday balloon ;)

Post edited by Headwax on
    head wax said:

Diomede said:

@Evilproducer - that is an excellent planet effect and the ridge of the spaceship looks promising.  Can't wait to see this come together.

@Stezza - amazing that you already have an antry ready to go.  Wow.  

I've made a couple of changes that won't be obvious, such as improving the mustache portion of the beard, which had been too thin.  I also edited the uvmapping for the neck.  These and other changes are minor and probably can't be noticed for the moment.

The main thing in this update is the figure rigging.  I've made my customary empty correction morphs for the meshes and attached to a new skeleton.  I was a little worried about whether the animation group functions would remain active if I was using multple meshes franken-fitted together.  Very happy to report that it does not have to be a single mesh.  As long as there are no subgroups, and the meshes and the skeleton are attached before grouping, the NLA pose clip function seems to be working.  This was just a test of creating, saving, and applying a pose clip for the multi-mesh pioneer.

With a few adjustments to weightmaps, this fella will be ready to go. yes

To create a new clip, select the animation group level and the NLA tab will appear. Pose the figure and click the create button.  Newly created clips will appear in your instances tray under the clip tab.  You can load existing clips from your browser t the scene by dragging to your clip tab.

To apply a clip, drag from your instances tray (lower right) to the TRACK in the sequencer

terrific mini tut Diomede - thanks for that - so do you use this a lot for still scenes? - and I take it you get an image of the pose over on the instances tab - does that image render from camera 1?

do you use the puppett thingo much?

Stezza said:

Composited with postwork in PSE2018

Sir Douglas Mawson (1882–1958)

Antarctic achievements
    While undertaking a doctorate at Sydney University, Douglas Mawson joined Ernest Shackleton’s 1907–1909 Nimrod expedition as a geologist, his first Antarctic experience. Along with his mentor Professor T.W. Edgeworth David, Mawson completed the longest Antarctic man-hauling sledge journey of 122 days. Coping with hunger, hidden crevasses, frostbite and exhaustion, they received a hero’s welcome on their return.

that;s pretty wonderful stezza - lovely subtle shadows on the snow - now all you need do is use fluidos for the footsteps in the snow ;)

what was the snow tool you used? Nerd3D's "Blowin' in the Wind", ...  ?

@Alberto said 

I will add an use of Light Mangler from Shader Ops 2.

Carrara Subsurface Scattering cannot accept texture maps, thus some rendered faces could look unrealistic as a result of the SSS uniformity.

Some figures in Daz Store have SSS maps included. Light Mangler can help with this.

This is an example with Genesis 3 Tween Ryan character (thanks to Misty for let Carrara can use it)

This is the face shader. The highlights and bump maps are applied.

thanks for that tut! what else could you use the light mangler for do you reckon?

diomede said 

Love seeing these tests of the plugins. 

- You've got a cool planet going with the shoestring shader, @LightofHeaven.

double that - who needs hallucogens??

;)

thanks for the comment on the compelling cobblestones too diomede 

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

This beats my planet, imo.

is it possible to get rainbows from fresnel? i read somewhere that it is, but it didn't explain how.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    head wax said:
    Stezza said:

Composited with postwork in PSE2018

Sir Douglas Mawson (1882–1958)

Antarctic achievements
    While undertaking a doctorate at Sydney University, Douglas Mawson joined Ernest Shackleton’s 1907–1909 Nimrod expedition as a geologist, his first Antarctic experience. Along with his mentor Professor T.W. Edgeworth David, Mawson completed the longest Antarctic man-hauling sledge journey of 122 days. Coping with hunger, hidden crevasses, frostbite and exhaustion, they received a hero’s welcome on their return.

that;s pretty wonderful stezza - lovely subtle shadows on the snow - now all you need do is use fluidos for the footsteps in the snow ;)

what was the snow tool you used? Nerd3D's "Blowin' in the Wind", ...  ?

yep, that's the one.. very usefull as it not only does snow but leaves and flies and stuff ... with all the free awesome stuff for Carrara that's been released I'm getting brain explosion.. I'm still wondering what Incognito does lol

• A test planet. I used a seperate sphere for the planet, the cloud layer, and the "atmosphere." I used Fake Freznel in the glow channel and the alpha channel for the atmosphere sphere. I exluded the atmosphere sphere from the lights because it was making the rest of the planet look dark.

This beats my planet, imo.

is it possible to get rainbows from fresnel? i read somewhere that it is, but it didn't explain how.

Well, this is fake fresnel, so it is not "real" 3d fresnel. It is a cheat to get a fresnel like effect.

You can get a rainbow effect using caustics in your scene. You will need a true blue, true red, and true green light aiming in the same direction with the same intensity, let's say three spotlights. The resulting light should be white, but with caustics enabled, and shining through a refracting surface, the light will be broken into its component colors. It is not 100% physically accurate, but more like what I like to call artistically accurate.

head wax said:

thanks for that tut! what else could you use the light mangler for do you reckon?

Until now, I only used for the SSS map. DCG is a vast arsenal.

thanks Stezza and Alberto :) learning stufff all the time here

Great work everyone, will be joining in the fun tomorrow !!!!

Bunyip02 said:

We're waiting for you. smiley

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited September 2018

Every now and again Momma would get that look...

This is a bit of a kitbash.  Characters are both V4.  Wagon is a rendo freebie, and the V4 apron skirt is from sharecg (both very nice).  The V4 adult top is the Courageous tunic, and the child's dress is a modified Valiant Tabbard.  The steer is an amazing freebie I just discovered, but old-timers likely already know it well.  I looked at several muskets, but nothing could touch the one at rendo from dante78 (a terrific artist). 

Native processes include Carrara Realistic sky, Carrara terrain, Carrara Volumetric clouds, Carrara text, and aura.  I didn't create anything in the modeling room, but I modified virtually everything in the scene there.  GMIC provided the canvas texture, and some contrast.  Also, I applied the fake fresnel (Shader Ops) plugin, but not in a conventional way.  It was used to subtly alter the terrain and the text.  A setting is provided below.

Almost forgot.  No postwork.  Thanks Carrara!

Pioneers of American West 2.png
    1400 x 1041 - 2M
    Pioneer Fresnel settings for terrain 1.JPG
    636 x 417 - 41K
    Pioneer Carrara setup1.JPG
    1687 x 955 - 217K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • Thanks for the link to the bovines. I also found a moose model there. Sadly no squirrel. wink

edited September 2018

The background of my scene.

Pioneer exterior.png
    2000 x 1125 - 2M

Thanks for the link to the bovines. I also found a moose model there. Sadly no squirrel. wink

https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Chipmunk_/_Ground_Squirrel

https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Animals

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,119

UnifiedBrain:  American  Frontier  _very good

Alberto said:
    Bunyip02 said:

We're waiting for you. smiley

Went hunting for something I was interested in for one of my scenes, found this:- https://web.archive.org/web/20021019105729fw_/http://digitalcarversguild.com:80/tutorials/tutframe.htm

• Bunyip02 said:

Thanks for the link to the bovines. I also found a moose model there. Sadly no squirrel. wink

https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Chipmunk_/_Ground_Squirrel

https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Animals

A ground squirrel is not a squirrel. cheeky