Carrara Challenge 42 – PIONEERS – Dedicated to Eric Winemiller - WIP

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

well hot damn - just love all this work

great image Bunyip02 - captures the moment

and Evil - it wouldnt be the same without an attractive woman on board - five stars :)  which is of course a quintenary system :)

UB that's a wonderous scene - really conjours up the idea of conquering the 'wilderness''  - great ecxample of kitbashing (poor kit)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

EP - final composite render looks awesome !!!

ed3D - hope you get the time to put an entry in & have some fun along the way

Alberto - when I chose to use the Genesis figure 3 times I prepared myself for the monster just in case it struck - still want to add more morphs to my Genesis figures but pay for that when I use them in Carrara, a de-bloater would be very, very, very welcome

UB - if I want the scene I make a point of redoing it as soon as possible after the monster strikes, that way the scene is still fresh im my head

HeadWax - thanks, used George Lamberts painting as inspiration but with my poetics licence on the scene

Still deciding if I will add some more minor details to the scene or to go ahead and use a combination of Toon, ToonPro, GMIC and postwork. If doing extra in postwork will blend the edges of the sand patches so they don't look so hard. Don't know if the Toon/GMIC will make a difference to the sand patches but will find out when I try a few combinations.

th3Digit said:

I actually started on an entry to this thread only to discover DEM data for ground control outside the US is hard to come by

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3863746/#Comment_3863746

If you click on the link for dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version1/ and in the Index click on Australia.

HeadWax is there a list/diagram that you know of that tells you which one for the part of the country that you are after ?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited September 2018
    Bunyip02 said:
    th3Digit said:

I actually started on an entry to this thread only to discover DEM data for ground control outside the US is hard to come by

If you click on the link for dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version1/ and in the Index click on Australia.

HeadWax is there a list/diagram that you know of that tells you which one for the part of the country that you are after ?

THx was actually Africa I was after and woah what a list

21.1255   -11.3070 Lattitude and Longitude 

this is a tif I found of what I wanted

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Terra_richat3.tif

too big to even embed in forum 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    th3Digit said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    th3Digit said:

THx was actually Africa I was after and woah what a list

21.1255   -11.3070 Lattitude and Longitude 

this is a tif I found of what I wanted

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Terra_richat3.tif

too big to even embed in forum 

Thanks to HeadWax !!!

Bunyip02 said:
    th3Digit said:

When I read Wendy's post I realised what I was looking for - excuse my Doooohhhh moment !!!

edited September 2018

I am actually thinking of doing something on the lost city of Atlantis 

with Aliens etc cheeky

this has been put forth as a possible location flooded after a Tsunami and massive earthquake 

on ipad at moment will look at downloading later

the city as described by Plato is an island with 2 outer rings of land, no reason it has to be actually surrounded by ocean can be in a bay of Africa 

0648AFB0-B2D7-4A95-9190-05F97AB22CA9.png
    1536 x 2048 - 6M
  • Wendy, that would be really cool!

@Bunyip)2 saideth 

HeadWax - thanks, used George Lamberts painting as inspiration but with my poetics licence on the scene

great choice - I Love Lambert's work.

Bunyip02 said:
    th3Digit said:

ah I just googled coordiinates of a place then tried to match it - fairly unsucessfully - becaue the coords you are downloading are the bottom left of a square (??) cant recall

Wendy, that would be really cool!

I second that Wendy, looking forward to what you come up with :)

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

how do i get my background to actually FIT my frame? its alwayrs way too big no matter what.

you might be able to tile it?

alternately you could map a texture to a vertical plane and position it appropriately (turn shadows etc off for the plane) put the texture in the glow channel with a mixer operator and a black colour in the other source plus a 0 - 100 slider in the blender channel

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,411

I created a thread in Art Studio forum and posted some of your works.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/277221/carrara-challenge-42-pioneers-dedicated-to-eric-winemiller

head wax said:

you might be able to tile it?

alternately you could map a texture to a vertical plane and position it appropriately (turn shadows etc off for the plane) put the texture in the glow channel with a mixer operator and a black colour in the other source plus a 0 - 100 slider in the blender channel

well, even on planes, i haven't had much luck. for some reason, t only shows half the image.

But for this, i'm using StarBrighft. i have 50000 stars and i can only see 2.

• head wax said:

UB that's a wonderous scene - really conjours up the idea of conquering the 'wilderness''  - great ecxample of kitbashing (poor kit)

Thanks HW!  I wanted it to look sparse, as in wide open spaces.

Alberto said:

Thanks Alberto!  Knowing that English is not your first language, I'm kind of stunned that - in the same month - you have managed to juggle becoming a new Daz PA along with running your very first Carrara Challenge.  You put us all to shame.yesyesyes

ugh, never mind.  i realized it was because i was zoomed in, rather than camera'd in.

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,411
    Alberto said:

Thanks Alberto!  Knowing that English is not your first language, I'm kind of stunned that - in the same month - you have managed to juggle becoming a new Daz PA along with running your very first Carrara Challenge.  You put us all to shame.yesyesyes

Did I do that? surprise

Oh, that explains why I feel exhausted now! laugh

Thank you!

Hey  @ light of Heaven, glad you got that fixed.

Yes great job @Alberto - I'm very excited about the genesis bloat solver!!

Pleasure @UB

As an aside I'm hoping some one will use Proximity or Location to do a cut away version of eg a steam engine

I;ve been fiddling with Proximity - the easiet way to get your head around it is to make a central object eg cube then 

add a spahere very close to the cube - and shade it with the proximity shader using the cube as the 'trigger' object

, then duplcate that sphere and move it a few steps away from the original and repeat till you have about ten

then do a test render and that will show you where the proximity shader is clicking  in

(i guess you could also use the carrara measurements by themselves ;) ) 

here's a video showing shader in action (not mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SN&hl=fr&v=Nh1fjYeiatU

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=22

I've also been playing with camera projection and found that it obeys the alpha channel of the projected texture map 

If You choose another camera apart from the rendering camera as the Camera Projection projector you can also use that to get interesting cutaways

sorry havent put much up I accidentally got a full time job.... (well 4 days a week ;) )

plus I have been busy finishing up a book (made with carrara) which my agent describes as 'phenomenal' (she never gives compliments) so hopefully I can get this one published. 

• meh 10 hours later ground control import Carrara still not responding and whited out

renamed file extension hgt dem

err, as a former prime munster said 'knife wasnt meant to be greasy'

Tom Raiders

Used anything grooves on the walls and columns, used it to make the sand by using a noise shader

Used The shader Gel in the lights to give the idea of the torch light

I made the floor 100 percent reflection then rendered with caustics onand reflection off to add a bit more of a glow

Put a cloud in the middle of the room to add atmopshere yhen added light beam in post

Feel free to click for big

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, night and indoor

• HW, so many interesting techniques and details!  However, the torch flames look odd to me.  For some reason, I think that the flames need to provide a more energetic focal point, if that makes any sense..

Glad to know that the book is going well!

• sadly been spending too long unsuccessfully trying to get ground control to work to enter this

am still going to do my Atlantis project but not for this competition 

edited September 2018

I had a thought the other day that inspired me ro do this.

What makes one a pioneer? The dictionary defines "pioneer" as "a person who is among the first to explore or settle a new country or area" and also as "develop or be the first to use or apply (a new method, area of knowledge, or activity". So, in a way, I think we are all pioneers,

You may not bump into some new uncharted land and give it some absurd name like Cappuccino Falls, but there is one "place" only you can explore -- your Self.. You may not invent the first mind-blowing machine or write about a fictional world inhabited by world things like hobbits, elves, cats, clowns, whatever, but there is something you can develop and share with the world -- your way and an infinity of ideas.

okay, I'll stop rambling. Hope that makes sense and hope this counts.

WIP. Used StarsBright

Doc6.jpg
    640 x 480 - 11K
    Post edited by VIArts on

HW, so many interesting techniques and details!  However, the torch flames look odd to me.  For some reason, I think that the flames need to provide a more energetic focal point, if that makes any sense..

Glad to know that the book is going well!

Hello HeadWax, love the render - and I spotted Stezza's Bin-chicken on the wall as well !!!! The flames that the two Indiana Jones are carrying look a bit too white to me, maybe they could do with some yellow-orange colours ?

Great news about the book - hope it gets accepted and does very well !!!

th3Digit said:

sadly been spending too long unsuccessfully trying to get ground control to work to enter this

am still going to do my Atlantis project but not for this competition 

cryingbroken heart Atlantis and Aliens - was looking forward to your entry, hope you still get it finished....

I had a thought the other day that inspired me ro do this.

What makes one a pioneer? The dictionary defines "pioneer" as "a person who is among the first to explore or settle a new country or area" and also as "develop or be the first to use or apply (a new method, area of knowledge, or activity". So, in a way, I think we are all pioneers,

You may not bump into some new uncharted land and give it some absurd name like Cappuccino Falls, but there is one "place" only you can explore -- your Self.. You may not invent the first mind-blowing machine or write about a fictional world inhabited by world things like hobbits, elves, cats, clowns, whatever, but there is something you can develop and share with the world -- your way and an infinity of ideas.

okay, I'll stop rambling. Hope that makes sense and hope this counts.

WIP. Used StarsBright

Glad you got it sorted.

Speaking of ramblers anyone heard from Dart lately ?

edited September 2018

well the Shoestring Super Mixer does enable me to create some interesting shaders using the tiff heightmap I have and various textures and colours

better add this

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/de/deed.de
    This image has been licensed by the German Aerospace Center (DLR).

as original was the greyscale heightmap from there

TerrainDiffuse0.jpg
    4000 x 4000 - 2M
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited September 2018
    th3Digit said:

I recall someone using GoogleEarth Pro to get a greyscale elevation info to use for a heightmap/displacement map as I don't think it can export a DEM directly. The resolution unfortunately was rather low.

Post edited by cdordoni on
    edited September 2018
    cdordoni said:
    th3Digit said:

I recall someone using GoogleEarth Pro to get a greyscale elevation info to use for a heightmap/displacement map as I don't think it can export a DEM directly. The resolution unfortunately was rather low.

yes Terrain party, I use that also at times

getting the heightmap is not the issue, I found a great one by the German Aerospace Centre that is CC share alike

it was using the DCG plugin and a dem that was

needed for challenge rules

but now I can use the Shoestring super mixer instead and am trying the terrain tools surf to add beaches too

render done so replaced image, cannot get beach wider for some reason and has issues with the water clarity, well technically its surf

atlantis terrain.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited September 2018

Great work, folks.  I have missed a lot, so I hope I can be forgiven for not commenting individually.  The variety of plugin applications is most impressive. I can really see the difference with the beach plugin.  Great job, Wendy (OK, I commented on one, so sue me).  

I did get a chance to do a little for my Appalachian frontier pioneer.  Plan to use the anything grooves plugin on the foreground tree trunks.  May use a shader plugin to muss up the axe head but I'm not sure it will be close enough to the camera to make a difference.  Will use anything grows for help with the foreground terrain.

Two stage render.

Stage 1 - background - create a distance background with some terrain objects, realistic sky, and volumetric clouds.  Duplicated some of the terrains, applied noise filters, textured green and then adjusted z axis to make look like distant vegetation.  Can reduce scale in z direction if want to remove effect from mountain peaks.

Stage 2 - main action - modeled an axe and some "Lincoln Logs" pieces to start the log cabin, but maybe only Americans played with those?  
    https://www.knex.com/lincoln-logs

Had to have a tree stump and a tree partially axed.  Customized some Carrara plants.

Stage 3 - more work to do... sad

bb01 background for pioneer scene.JPG
    1914 x 1010 - 203K
    bb02 slot render in background.JPG
    1730 x 941 - 285K
    bb03 some more pieces will use anything grooves on tree trunks.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
    Post edited by Diomede on