The Official aweSurface Test Track

Comments

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

The Matriarch

...Canadian female-fronted power metal. You're welcome.

Cheers Sven

Those tips have helped.

Managed this - it's a pre-morning coffee effort though.

You might want to try a lower Fresnel on the cornea (around 1.3) to make the eyes less metallic-looking?

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

The Matriarch

Cheers! Pretty cool stuff:) Intro of the first one you linked to reminded me of early Iron Maiden;)

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited May 2020

Done this for a friend. I lacked Sven's patience, so this is with progressive enabled, 8x8 pixel samples and just 1024 samples. Along with some under the hood stuff. laugh

25 mins 3.44 secs

Although there's light from the outside, the setup actually uses three area lights (plus instances). The first is the big light with a falloff of one, this is the one that's casting the shadows into the room. A second area light is placed on the ceiling, with a very large scale and very low intensity scale. Last but not least, there's also another area light near the plant but with a smaller emitter and just enough intensity scale so it blends with the light coming from the other two.

I also disabled any specular/reflections on the ceiling/wall, mostly because it was very rough and set very low anyway (something like 5% with an IOR of 1.35).

25 minutes 3.44 seconds.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 666K
    Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:

Done this for a friend. I lacked Sven's patience,

Ah that's what it's called? I thought it was something else.

wowie said:

so this is with progressive enabled, 8x8 pixel samples and just 1024 samples. Along with some under the hood stuff. laugh

25 min is a nice result, even with progressive. And you have to look closely to see the grain, very cool!

wowie said:

25 mins 3.44 secs

Although there's light from the outside, the setup actually uses three area lights (plus instances). The first is the big light with a falloff of one, this is the one that's casting the shadows into the room. A second area light is placed on the ceiling, with a very large scale and very low intensity scale. Last but not least, there's also another area light near the plant but with a smaller emitter and just enough intensity scale so it blends with the light coming from the other two.

I also disabled any specular/reflections on the ceiling/wall, mostly because it was very rough and set very low anyway (something like 5% with an IOR of 1.35).

Nice working light scenarioyes

edited May 2020

So I had to try find a better hair for my matriarch, think she deserves it. This is kinda nice, but a REAL pain to render: https://www.daz3d.com/classic-updo-hairstyle-for-genesis-3-female-s. Testrender with 1024 hair samples, non progressive, over 2hsurprise

The Matriarch awe.png
    800 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on

The Matriarch

Cheers! Pretty cool stuff:) Intro of the first one you linked to reminded me of early Iron Maiden;)

Yeah, power metal in general is heavily inspired by Maiden, same as melodeath is to an extent. These days the genres are getting closer; UtA have basically started playing a blend on that album (more noticeable on other songs)

edited June 2020

Been tweaking this character for the last 24h. Think I learned a bit more about tonemapping, temperature and saturation. Also gave him a pair of GB brows and fibermesh stubble, both using AWE Hair shader. But that hair... I recall someone told me not every hair is worth salvaging,( yep I remember who it was LOL), and it looks like I have to find something else. Any tips? Gen4 up to G3 works fine. I like the style, but it just won't cooperate:)

Ulf 2 awe.png
    800 x 1067 - 1M
    edited June 2020

...hm...think this will do for now

Ulf 3 awe.png
    800 x 1067 - 1M
    edited June 2020

Been tweaking this character for the last 24h. Think I learned a bit more about tonemapping, temperature and saturation.

Just remember temperature with AWE Surface is not white balance. White balance works the other way around, which technically is a temperature adjustment or correction.

I've also added a tonemapping strength so you can blend between not using tone mapping and your chosen tonemapping settings. At one time, I even thought about adding very simple color grading tools (gain/gamma/lift) plus a complementary color adjustment. But after some thinking, those would be better suited to an imager/camera shader (along with other post process filters).

The upcoming color dodge/burn controls will only work when you saturate is above 0. Plus, saturation is basically vibrance now so no more over saturation.

Edit: Have this working now. A very nice way to quickly use the diffuse/base color texture as a metalness input.

I've dialed down the diffuse/specular depth to 0 for this setup. Since AWE Surface now intelligently adds an offset to specular depth for metal materials, the only specular/reflection you get with zero specular depth are with metals.

metal filter.JPG
    1366 x 741 - 156K
    Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:

Been tweaking this character for the last 24h. Think I learned a bit more about tonemapping, temperature and saturation.

Just remember temperature with AWE Surface is not white balance. White balance works the other way around, which technically is a temperature adjustment or correction.

Yep, tks! These skin textures seem to be to saturated and bright by default. So desaturating by 0.2 and setting temperature to a slightly colder value seemed to work. Also the lips were very red, again adding some temperature did the trick. Also reduced upper luminance for all skin a tad. Haven't played with diffuse gamma yet.

wowie said:

I've also added a tonemapping strength so you can blend between not using tone mapping and your chosen tonemapping settings.

That's very neat!

wowie said:

At one time, I even thought about adding very simple color grading tools (gain/gamma/lift) plus a complementary color adjustment. But after some thinking, those would be better suited to an imager/camera shader (along with other post process filters).

You're probably right about that, would make more sense.

wowie said:

The upcoming color dodge/burn controls will only work when you saturate is above 0. Plus, saturation is basically vibrance now so no more over saturation.

Ah ok, things are happening fast over there LOL!

edited June 2020

Karl got a new brow...

Cyclops Karl awe.png
    800 x 1048 - 1M
    edited June 2020

Played with diffuse gamma (1.5) and color correct threshold (0.2). Amazing! Easy to get very lost in there, but very powerful tools without having to import all those textures into an editor, make changes, hope for the best, save the stuff, reload textures etcyes. Rawart's Cyclops skin turned almost female haha!

Cyclops Karl 2 awe.png
    800 x 1048 - 1M
    edited June 2020
    wowie said:

Edit: Have this working now. A very nice way to quickly use the diffuse/base color texture as a metalness input.

I've dialed down the diffuse/specular depth to 0 for this setup. Since AWE Surface now intelligently adds an offset to specular depth for metal materials, the only specular/reflection you get with zero specular depth are with metals.

Clever! So what happens if you dial in only a small amount of metalness? Sorry had to asklaugh. Aaand please explain diffuse and transmission bias to me in short. Why would I want to use them? Face Without Mouth emoticon

edited June 2020

Clever! So what happens if you dial in only a small amount of metalness?

Well, what else do you expect? You'll have an interpolated value between dielectric and metal.

Seriously, this only affects the mask and follows the value set for Metalness. You can (still) have a metalness mask in the Metalness slider. This just makes use of the available info on the base/diffuse color map.

Still tweaking the default values. Basically, you're going to use hue value of the base/diffuse map for selection. There's an additional offset as well, which broadens the selection depending on the color ie 1 - offset > hue value > 1 + offset. So, technically a value of 0.5 and an offset value of 0.5 selects all color in the texture.

Aaand please explain diffuse and transmission bias to me in short. Why would I want to use them?

Bias is basically an offset used when shooting rays. In other renderers, this is usually called ray epsilon. The purpose is to avoid self collision, where rays are blocked by the originating mesh. Same as shadow bias in raytraced lights. Diffuse/transmission bias are bias set for each, mainly because sometimes you need/want different settings. Typical artifacts you see with incorrect bias is light leaking (too large) or darkening (too small).

I've actually made an error with the bias on the current build, which leads to light leaking in some scenarios. Turns out the default bias set by 3delight (0.01) was too large and caused light leaking in that room scene. Adjusting the (diffuse) bias to a smaller amount, which in this case is half the default value, fix the problem.

One specific example is the problem with Genesis 8 eye surface when you enable transmission. The fix will be to apply an adjustment to the bias until the artifact is gone.

Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:

Seriously, this only affects the mask and follows the value set for Metalness. You can (still) have a metalness mask in the Metalness slider. This just makes use of the available info on the base/diffuse color map.

Still tweaking the default values. Basically, you're going to use hue value of the base/diffuse map for selection. There's an additional offset as well, which broadens the selection depending on the color ie 1 - offset > hue value > 1 + offset. So, technically a value of 0.5 and an offset value of 0.5 selects all color in the texture.

A very elegant solution:)

wowie said:

Aaand please explain diffuse and transmission bias to me in short. Why would I want to use them?

Bias is basically an offset used when shooting rays. In other renderers, this is usually called ray epsilon. The purpose is to avoid self collision, where rays are blocked by the originating mesh. Same as shadow bias in raytraced lights. Diffuse/transmission bias are bias set for each, mainly because sometimes you need/want different settings. Typical artifacts you see with incorrect bias is light leaking (too large) or darkening (too small).

I've actually made an error with the bias on the current build, which leads to light leaking in some scenarios. Turns out the default bias set by 3delight (0.01) was too large and caused light leaking in that room scene. Adjusting the (diffuse) bias to a smaller amount, which in this case is half the default value, fix the problem.

One specific example is the problem with Genesis 8 eye surface when you enable transmission. The fix will be to apply an adjustment to the bias until the artifact is gone.

Tks for that! Bear with me while I ask all these stupid questions, trying to dig a bit deeper still into your shader. Still a lot of unknown territory to explore;)

edited June 2020

Playing around with two sided material combinations.

Making use of backside overrides to use separate backside diffuse color, specular strength and roughness. I still need to add a metalness override though. That should work with both diffuse and transmission, which in the case of transmission allows one way glass.

All done without resorting to making your own maps.

1.jpg
    386 x 600 - 94K
    2.jpg
    386 x 600 - 92K
    3.jpg
    386 x 600 - 87K
    4.jpg
    386 x 600 - 93K
    Post edited by wowie on
    edited June 2020
    wowie said:

Playing around with two sided material combinations.

Making use of backside overrides to use separate backside diffuse color, specular strength and roughness. I still need to add a metalness override though. That should work with both diffuse and transmission, which in the case of transmission allows one way glass.

All done without resorting to making your own maps.

Well how cool is that^^ Now we just need separate front- and back tiling and uv-projectioncheeky

edited June 2020

Some minor fixes to the skin and hair. Hands turned out too bumpy when rendered at larger resolution, don't know how to best deal with it, just cheat and dial down strength on the hands or modify the maps...

I used one of maclean's morphing primitives to make a ring...well tube light, nice built in morphs for easy light adjusting haha. https://www.daz3d.com/everyday-morphing-primitives

Ulf 4 awe.png
    1600 x 2133 - 5M
    edited June 2020

Another character update. Garibaldi hair and brows + fibermesh bodyhair with AweHair shader.

David awe.png
    1200 x 1600 - 2M
    edited June 2020

...and testing some pbr textures and lighting on this set...

Time Keeps Organ awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    edited June 2020

Using a 16bit png as backdrop...maybe worth exploring some more...

David2 awe.png
    1800 x 1200 - 2M
    edited June 2020

The coat layer is nice for enhancing tattoos, just have to make some masks to use in transmission color and thicknessenlightened (and SS color)

Will be interesting to see what kind of effects you can create with the new build...

Val Viola Gamba awe.png
    1200 x 1543 - 2M
    edited June 2020

A very rough Rama Drums conversion, needs some tweaking (after a good night's sleep)...impressive, rendered in just over 20 min, used 15 emitters...

A Big Drummer awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited June 2020

Decided to try a light setup with pure reflected diffuse light. The white emitter shoots rays at the orange plane with aweSurface applied. Both are invisible to the camera. I used 1024 adaptive samples and 512 SS samples on the skin, nowhere near enough, but should be doable with high sample values. Rendertimes are of course skyrocketing:) 1.5h non progrressive. What baffles me a little is that SSS totally takes over the show. Very interesting:)

reflector set up.png
    1386 x 904 - 887K
    Val reflector test awe.png
    1200 x 960 - 2M

Decided to try a light setup with pure reflected diffuse light. The white emitter shoots rays at the orange plane with aweSurface applied. Both are invisible to the camera. I used 1024 adaptive samples and 512 SS samples on the skin, nowhere near enough, but should be doable with high sample values. Rendertimes are of course skyrocketing:) 1.5h non progrressive. What baffles me a little is that SSS totally takes over the show. Very interesting:)

You should probably use a more complete scene for that scenario (with a ground plane and dome environment). If you want darker non lit areas, move the emitter closer while keeping the intensity or emitter size the same.

Plus, you can always dial down specular contribution of the light / set the emitter to only emit diffuse light.

wowie said:

You should probably use a more complete scene for that scenario (with a ground plane and dome environment). If you want darker non lit areas, move the emitter closer while keeping the intensity or emitter size the same.

Plus, you can always dial down specular contribution of the light / set the emitter to only emit diffuse light.

Tks, still experimenting...

• GafftheHorseGafftheHorse Posts: 567
    edited June 2020

Hello again.

Just been brought to my attention that the 3Delight.com site is gone. A new Daz Linux user was asking after it.

I managed to point him to the Wayback Machine entry. Where the package can still be picked up.

Here's the Windows exe  I think it's the most recent before the page disappeared, but I'm not certain (wayback machine is a tad unhelpful on whether it's save points actually have anything useful)

Post edited by GafftheHorse on
    edited June 2020

Hello again.

Just been brought to my attention that the 3Delight.com site is gone. A new Daz Linux user was asking after it.

I managed to point him to the Wayback Machine entry. Where the package can still be picked up.

Here's the Windows exe  I think it's the most recent before the page disappeared, but I'm not certain (wayback machine is a tad unhelpful on whether it's save points actually have anything useful)

Tks! I seem to have managed to DL the 3DL standalone for Mac, been searching high and low for it, but never thought of the wayback machinesurprise, now if I only knew how to utilize itblush...

3Delight standalone for Mac Windows and Linux download

• GafftheHorseGafftheHorse Posts: 567
    edited June 2020

Hello again.

Tks! I seem to have managed to DL the 3DL standalone for Mac, been searching high and low for it, but never thought of the wayback machinesurprise, now if I only knew how to utilize itblush...

3Delight standalone for Mac Windows and Linux download

It's not the friendliest beast

Go to Summaries (after entering the url you are looking for)

Then Explore urls

Enter the mime type of the file you are hoping to find (exe for windows, tar.gz for a linux package, etc.)

reorg the table to last date order

Should make it easier to find the last available download version.

When you do find the file, click

This brings up a calendar find the last highlighted date and click - Maybe it'll have a snapshot and not just a changelist.

Took me three or four tries to find 3Delight version 12.06.

More important question - when the heck this happened - Can't recall the last time I visited the site, but it probably last autumn, but random date picks back beyond 2016 come up with an empty site - and I didn't start using Daz until 2017.

Here's a 2016 link (prev one was 2014 and an old version)

Post edited by GafftheHorse on