The Official aweSurface Test Track

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Hello again.

Just been brought to my attention that the 3Delight.com site is gone. A new Daz Linux user was asking after it.

I managed to point him to the Wayback Machine entry. Where the package can still be picked up.

Here's the Windows exe  I think it's the most recent before the page disappeared, but I'm not certain (wayback machine is a tad unhelpful on whether it's save points actually have anything useful)

Tks! I seem to have managed to DL the 3DL standalone for Mac, been searching high and low for it, but never thought of the wayback machinesurprise, now if I only knew how to utilize itblush...

3Delight standalone for Mac Windows and Linux download

It's not the friendliest beast

Go to Summaries (after entering the url you are looking for)

Then Explore urls

Enter the mime type of the file you are hoping to find (exe for windows, tar.gz for a linux package, etc.)

reorg the table to last date order

Should make it easier to find the last available download version.

When you do find the file, click

This brings up a calendar find the last highlighted date and click - Maybe it'll have a snapshot and not just a changelist.

Took me three or four tries to find 3Delight version 12.06.

More important question - when the heck this happened - Can't recall the last time I visited the site, but it probably last autumn, but random date picks back beyond 2016 come up with an empty site - and I didn't start using Daz until 2017.

Here's a 2016 link (prev one was 2014 and an old version)

Heh, tks a lot, but I meant the 3DL standalone, sorry for being vague:) Yeah I have installed it on my laptop and will look into how to use it, I'm sure there's some guidelines floating about in cyber space. Or I just go deep into the woods and whisper Mustakettu 12 times...laugh

• GafftheHorseGafftheHorse Posts: 567

Hello again.

Just been brought to my attention that the 3Delight.com site is gone. A new Daz Linux user was asking after it.

I managed to point him to the Wayback Machine entry. Where the package can still be picked up.

Here's the Windows exe  I think it's the most recent before the page disappeared, but I'm not certain (wayback machine is a tad unhelpful on whether it's save points actually have anything useful)

Tks! I seem to have managed to DL the 3DL standalone for Mac, been searching high and low for it, but never thought of the wayback machinesurprise, now if I only knew how to utilize itblush...

Then Explore urls

Enter the mime type of the file you are hoping to find (exe for windows, tar.gz for a linux package, etc.)

This brings up a calendar find the last highlighted date and click - Maybe it'll have a snapshot and not just a changelist.

More important question - when the heck this happened - Can't recall the last time I visited the site, but it probably last autumn, but random date picks back beyond 2016 come up with an empty site - and I didn't start using Daz until 2017.

Heh, tks a lot, but I meant the 3DL standalone, sorry for being vague:) Yeah I have installed it on my laptop and will look into how to use it, I'm sure there's some guidelines floating about in cyber space. Or I just go deep into the woods and whisper Mustakettu 12 times...laugh

Oopsie!

On linux, (after checking rib and collect and localise) I use the terminal to navigate into the collection folder and then run

#> renderdl -id ribname.rib

- but then I need to go into the folder as the ribfile outside the folder has windows filepaths.

Running scripted 3delight to rib, you'll need to run ribdepends first (there's a copy with the standalone but also one in Studio4/bin

Hello again.

Then Explore urls

Oopsie!

On linux, (after checking rib and collect and localise) I use the terminal to navigate into the collection folder and then run

#> renderdl -id ribname.rib

- but then I need to go into the folder as the ribfile outside the folder has windows filepaths.

Running scripted 3delight to rib, you'll need to run ribdepends first (there's a copy with the standalone but also one in Studio4/bin

Tks again for pointing me in the right direction! I installed it on my main rig and found the user's manual...will look into it:)

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited June 2020

Hello again.

That entry is very outdated. The linked file is 11.0.24. That's actually way older than the build used by DS 4.8 onwards (12.0.27). Even DS 4.7 is using 11.0.105, newer than that. The latest publicly avaiable download of 3delight 12 standalone (with RSL support) was 12.5.9.

Since RSL support have been deprecated for 3delight 13 or 3delight NSI, the 3delight site (which is still up and running) no longer provides a download link for 3delight with RSL support.

Use the 2016 link, which is 12.0.68, so at least you'll get 3delight 12 (and slightly newer than the one in DS).

Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:

Hello again.

That entry is very outdated. The linked file is 11.0.24. That's actually way older than the build used by DS 4.8 onwards (12.0.27). Even DS 4.7 is using 11.0.105, newer than that. The latest publicly avaiable download of 3delight 12 standalone (with RSL support) was 12.5.9.

Since RSL support have been deprecated for 3delight 13 or 3delight NSI, the 3delight site (which is still up and running) no longer provides a download link for 3delight with RSL support.

Use the 2016 link, which is 12.0.68, so at least you'll get 3delight 12 (and slightly newer than the one in DS).

Thanks Wowie

I knew the original link I provided was old - I had trouble locating a more recent capture on the Wayback machine - sometimes using Wayback feels like rumaging around with a lucky dip.

Just seems odd, 3delight.com domain is still there, comes up top of search results, even searching '3delight NSI' - there's no other site apart from 3delight.io, (3delight cloud) and that is hard to find.

Seems their marketing dept. has checked out.

Thanks Wowie

I knew the original link I provided was old - I had trouble locating a more recent capture on the Wayback machine - sometimes using Wayback feels like rumaging around with a lucky dip.

Just seems odd, 3delight.com domain is still there, comes up top of search results, even searching '3delight NSI' - there's no other site apart from 3delight.io, (3delight cloud) and that is hard to find.

No problem. At least Sven got his MacOSX standalone that way.

3delight.com is still online, which is why I was suprised to see your post and did a double check.

Their marketing efforts have always focused on studios rather than end users/free lancers though. They're doing great so far - comes bundled with Katana, supporting USD and now there's an official support for Houdini. 3delight 12 was the transition period between RSL / Renderman to Open Shading Language / NSI. With 3delight 13/NSI, they dropped RSL/Renderman support completely. Since 3delight 12 was from 2015 to 2017, they stuck with RSL as long as they can while giving studios the time needed to transition.

Unfortunately, I don't think DAZ/most third party vendors for DS have never really moved from REYES era shaders, From what I can see, all the available shader mixer/builder blocks have not keep up with even 3delight 11, not making use of new/advanced features.

Back to topic, I think my current dev build is almost good enough for public release. Just to re-iterate:

• Since I've found a way around the double shading override, Use Face Forward will be removed. Surfaces will always be rendered as double shaded. Unlike before, there is no performance penalty with such scenarios.
    • Because everything now renders as double shaded, I've added extra back shading overrides. Before it was limited to just diffuse colors, now it extends to diffuse strength, transmission strength/color, specular strength/roughness (for both specular lobe). These overrides accept textures. Cases when this is useful are one way glass (metalness/transmission), stained glass (different textures for each side), fabric with metal adornments on one side and the like.
    • There's also a way to use different metal colors (by using the first lobe specular color/edge tint for the second lobe. When this is enabled, the front facing will use the second lobe settings and the back facing side will use the first lobe settings.
    • New mask options such as transmission/metalness mask filtering, plus the ability to use a color filter for the base/diffuse texture as metalness.
    • Color correction for base/diffuse textures are now done so the correction gets applied when you enable the use of base/diffuse textures as metalness/transmission inputs.
    • Added a convenience control to control roughness for metalness in case you want metal areas to be less rough than non metal areas. There's also one for transmission as well. These don't accept textures though.
    • Added a new 'Thin Mode' switch. This should only be enabled on single sided objects (sheet of paper/glass/fabric etc). When enabled, this renders refraction properly when transmission is enabled on both sides.
    • When Thin Mode is off, diffuse translucency will now have absorption. Best used with translucency shadow strength enabled.
    • The coat layer now have separate bump layer options. WIthout a texture plugged in, enabling Coat Bump allows you to completely disable bump for the coat layer. With a texture plugged in and coat bump strength > 0, both the base bump and coat bump will be added together.
    • Complete rewrite of subsurface implementation. Render with and without subsurface should have roughly the same brightness now and thus, energy preserving. There's no more need to dial back diffuse or subsurface strength.
    • SSS Translucency boost will be removed. In it's place, there's now separate deep/shallow absorption color which will be enabled when 'Use Diffuse Texture with SSS' is above 0. Shallow absorption color have more influence on areas where SSS is more translucent, while deep absorption color controls areas that gets most light.

wowie said:

Thanks Wowie

No problem. At least Sven got his MacOSX standalone that way.

3delight.com is still online, which is why I was suprised to see your post and did a double check.

Their marketing efforts have always focused on studios rather than end users/free lancers though. They're doing great so far - comes bundled with Katana, supporting USD and now there's an official support for Houdini. 3delight 12 was the transition period between RSL / Renderman to Open Shading Language / NSI. With 3delight 13/NSI, they dropped RSL/Renderman support completely. Since 3delight 12 was from 2015 to 2017, they stuck with RSL as long as they can while giving studios the time needed to transition.

Unfortunately, I don't think DAZ/most third party vendors for DS have never really moved from REYES era shaders, From what I can see, all the available shader mixer/builder blocks have not keep up with even 3delight 11, not making use of new/advanced features.

Back to topic, I think my current dev build is almost good enough for public release. Just to re-iterate:

• Since I've found a way around the double shading override, Use Face Forward will be removed. Surfaces will always be rendered as double shaded. Unlike before, there is no performance penalty with such scenarios.
    • Because everything now renders as double shaded, I've added extra back shading overrides. Before it was limited to just diffuse colors, now it extends to diffuse strength, transmission strength/color, specular strength/roughness (for both specular lobe). These overrides accept textures. Cases when this is useful are one way glass (metalness/transmission), stained glass (different textures for each side), fabric with metal adornments on one side and the like.
    • There's also a way to use different metal colors (by using the first lobe specular color/edge tint for the second lobe. When this is enabled, the front facing will use the second lobe settings and the back facing side will use the first lobe settings.
    • New mask options such as transmission/metalness mask filtering, plus the ability to use a color filter for the base/diffuse texture as metalness.
    • Color correction for base/diffuse textures are now done so the correction gets applied when you enable the use of base/diffuse textures as metalness/transmission inputs.
    • Added a convenience control to control roughness for metalness in case you want metal areas to be less rough than non metal areas. There's also one for transmission as well. These don't accept textures though.
    • Added a new 'Thin Mode' switch. This should only be enabled on single sided objects (sheet of paper/glass/fabric etc). When enabled, this renders refraction properly when transmission is enabled on both sides.
    • When Thin Mode is off, diffuse translucency will now have absorption. Best used with translucency shadow strength enabled.
    • The coat layer now have separate bump layer options. WIthout a texture plugged in, enabling Coat Bump allows you to completely disable bump for the coat layer. With a texture plugged in and coat bump strength > 0, both the base bump and coat bump will be added together.
    • Complete rewrite of subsurface implementation. Render with and without subsurface should have roughly the same brightness now and thus, energy preserving. There's no more need to dial back diffuse or subsurface strength.
    • SSS Translucency boost will be removed. In it's place, there's now separate deep/shallow absorption color which will be enabled when 'Use Diffuse Texture with SSS' is above 0. Shallow absorption color have more influence on areas where SSS is more translucent, while deep absorption color controls areas that gets most light.

Found the problem.

Page seems not to be Firefox compatible (or Firefox on Linux) - don't think it's due to any plugins either, as about all I have is Adblock, and I switched that off and still got nothin'

Works in chromium. Seeing more of this lately (poor webpage testing), but I've never seen completely blank before - often captchas are dropped, making it impossible to sign onto some sites (ex. Otoy site), weird textual artifacts (ex. HDRI-haven).

I don't like the look of the new3Delight site either, it looks like one of those tatty sites with a lot of clickbait scams at the bottom "dunnykin divers really hate this" or "housewives in town near you earn $$$ skinning small animals with this one simple trick".

3delight_page_poortesting.jpg
    900 x 505 - 184K
    edited June 2020

Found the problem.

Page seems not to be Firefox compatible (or Firefox on Linux) - don't think it's due to any plugins either, as about all I have is Adblock, and I switched that off and still got nothin'

Works in chromium. Seeing more of this lately (poor webpage testing), but I've never seen completely blank before - often captchas are dropped, making it impossible to sign onto some sites (ex. Otoy site), weird textual artifacts (ex. HDRI-haven).

I'm using Firefox on Windows, with uMatrix enabled. As long as you don't block/whitelist the site (plus its dependencies), it works fine.

I don't like the look of the new3Delight site either, it looks like one of those tatty sites with a lot of clickbait scams at the bottom "dunnykin divers really hate this" or "housewives in town near you earn $$$ skinning small animals with this one simple trick".

Unfortunately, web devs 'overusing' js and relying on CDN is pretty much unavoidable.

sitelist.jpg
    565 x 541 - 110K
    Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:

Found the problem.

I'm using Firefox on Windows, with uMatrix enabled. As long as you don't block/whitelist the site (plus its dependencies), it works fine.

Unfortunately, web devs 'overusing' js and relying on CDN is pretty much unavoidable.

I'm not running noscript or anything with similar features, and it's most definitley a recent Firefox build, I'm on a rolling release.,

wowie said:

This looks fantastic! Will be a whole new experience together with with the updated environment and hair shader:) Can't really wait! Btw, did you ditch the plans of a simple(r) shader version?

edited June 2020

Btw, did you ditch the plans of a simple(r) shader version?

No. Here's the mockup - basically AWE Surface condensed to the bare essentials.

Is this easy/simple enough to understand?

awe Principled.jpg
    369 x 1261 - 108K
    Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:

Is this easy/simple enough to understand?

Awww it's so cuuute, little baby awe shaderlaugh

wowie said:

Seriously, it looks very cool:) Will the glossiness workflow convert to roughness automagically if you want to convert to aweSurface? Also how are Irradiance samples controlled?

edited July 2020

Seriously, it looks very cool:) Will the glossiness workflow convert to roughness automagically if you want to convert to aweSurface? Also how are Irradiance samples controlled?

Glossiness is basically 1 - roughness. Right now, there's no automatic conversion. There's an option to treat roughness maps as glossiness map (using the same process). But if you have an actual glossiness map (ala Unity), you can just plug it in as is. The added advantage of this arrangement is that DS viewport actually recognizes glossiness (along with diffuse/specular strength) so changes will also be visible in the viewport.

This isn't final though. There was talk/rumor about a new viewport, so we'll have to see what happens with that. Or I could make a new version and just flag this as beta/WIP.

Irradiance samples will be controlled via the AWE Environment light. If there's no such light in your scene, it will fall back to 1024 samples. As I noted, before, 1024 samples should be enough for most scenarios, particularly if you use AWE Area PT. If you rely on HDRIs via the environment sphere, it does depend on the HDRI. For interiors lit only by HDRI, even with 4096 or 8192 samples there will still be noise and you'll have much longer render times. An alternative solution would be to apply AWE Area PT to the environment sphere. It'll take longer but there will be less noise at the same samples. You can probably optimize the sphere by editing surface zones so only relevant parts are enabled. Bottom line, always use path traced area lights in your scenes.

Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:

Bottom line, always use path traced area lights in your scenes.

Haha good advice, been doing this for quite a while already;) Hm...was thinking the other day about selecting one poly of the env. sphere and apply the arealight shader...although can see a number of possible issues with that arrangement:)

edited July 2020

Ok had to do a quick one, selected one poly and created a new mat zone, applied PT area shader and bumped intensity to 8. The primitive plane and sphere just has def aweSurface. So yeah it kinda works but I'll stick with my method of adding a plane and using the poly blur feature;)

modified env sphere.png
    800 x 450 - 395K
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited July 2020

Built this set using DS primitives and a morphing primitive (by Mclean) for the walls (because it had some bevels). Selected 8 polys on the ceiling and 4 on the floor and made them emissive. Non progressive 10x10ps render, 3h, pretty cool:) But using emissive planes with poly blur would probably look even coolerlaugh Oh well...

The Probe awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    edited July 2020

A version with emissive polys on the sphere only, didn't count them, probably around 15. Rendertime with 12x12 ps, 2048 adaptive samples, 512 SS samples , non progressive, 2 h 44 min.

The Rundown Probe1 awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited July 2020

The Observation Deck 1 awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited July 2020

...working on the dropship (by Nightshift3D) interior...non progressive 10x10ps, 11h, can't really see a way to significantly cut rendertimes while still maintaining realistic lighting...8 emitting 1 poly planes and the environment with a jpeg, oldschool opacity on the windows.

Dropship interior1 awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited July 2020

Solitaire Bedroom by Meipe, revisited. Non progressive 10x10PS, 2048 adaptive samples. Total Rendering Time: 9 hours 6 minutes 7.17 seconds.

In the Solitaire Bedroom awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Or I just go deep into the woods and whisper Mustakettu 12 times...laugh

Don't forget, you need to go as deep as the local black metal bands filming videos would let you, and then some more.

edited July 2020

Don't forget, you need to go as deep as the local black metal bands filming videos would let you, and then some more.

I might just have to do this sooner than I thought, having some issues with the 3DL stand alone...will get back to it after some more testing:)

Hmm, while sipping my morning coffee I somehow got the idea of testing Marshian's Reflective Radiance with aweSurface. It actually workssurprise. Quick and dirty laptop render (progressive):

The plane uses default aweSurface, sphere has the RR3 emissive shader. I loaded the reflective light along with the aweEnvironment. The shadows samples in the reflective light seem to work as quality settings, just need to remove limits and up the samples. Here I used 512. Need to look into this some more...

RR3 awe.png
    800 x 450 - 425K
    RR3 settings.png
    351 x 622 - 86K
    RR3 emissive.png
    361 x 572 - 66K

I might just have to do this sooner than I thought, having some issues with the 3DL stand alone...will get back to it after some more testing:)

Hmm, while sipping my morning coffee I somehow got the idea of testing Marshian's Reflective Radiance with aweSurface. It actually workssurprise. Quick and dirty laptop render (progressive):

The plane uses default aweSurface, sphere has the RR3 emissive shader. I loaded the reflective light along with the aweEnvironment. The shadows samples in the reflective light seem to work as quality settings, just need to remove limits and up the samples. Here I used 512. Need to look into this some more...

Oooooo!!

Neato - I'm rather fond of RR, but usually have to replace it due to renders getting bogged down seemingly interminably.

Render a little less likely to get bogged down by replacing Uberenvironment with AoA ambient, but doesn't quite look as good.

I'd been meaning to try RR out with Awe on the off-chance, but I've not been feeling very creative the last month or two, and have had problems with Wine (staging) 5.10 and currently 5.12 (5.11 is ok, oddly).

Well after some further testing I have to say...forget itsmiley. May still be used for some special fx or the likes, but not for lighting up stuff, way too slow. No surprise reallylaugh.

Well after some further testing I have to say...forget itsmiley. May still be used for some special fx or the likes, but not for lighting up stuff, way too slow. No surprise reallylaugh.

That's a shame. RR (when I can actually get a finished render out), gives really lovely colours and having proper emissives in 3Delight is great. It'd be nice to have a light base that renders quicker or doesn't appear to need a cluster of supercomputers to finish inside a day.

That's a shame. RR (when I can actually get a finished render out), gives really lovely colours and having proper emissives in 3Delight is great. It'd be nice to have a light base that renders quicker or doesn't appear to need a cluster of supercomputers to finish inside a day.

Yep, I had a lot of fun with RR3 for a while after it was released, but never used after IBLM was introduced. And more or less forgot about IBLM after aweSurface showed up:)

I love the PT area light shader, you have to admit it renders blistering fast, as long as you stick to using 1 poly emitters. But I tend to run into trouble with these indoor environments with a lot of light panels and stuff. It's often more time consuming trying to place emitters cleverly, making emissive maps and whatnot, than giving up and applying the arealight shader and accepting the long rendertimes.

Yep, I had a lot of fun with RR3 for a while after it was released, but never used after IBLM was introduced. And more or less forgot about IBLM after aweSurface showed up:)

I love the PT area light shader, you have to admit it renders blistering fast, as long as you stick to using 1 poly emitters. But I tend to run into trouble with these indoor environments with a lot of light panels and stuff. It's often more time consuming trying to place emitters cleverly, making emissive maps and whatnot, than giving up and applying the arealight shader and accepting the long rendertimes.

Well, I do like IBLM, but for some cases, mostly to make use of emissives, I still prefer RR - uber ambient or pw just don't do it as well.

I really like the results from Awe, but setting everything up is always so much more work.

Uhm, I wouldn't rule out using the RR3 completely, have gotten some fun results when playing with the emissive shader:) Nothing to do with PBR rendering, though...

edited July 2020

The plants with the RR3 emissive shader, the RR3 reflective light and some ambient light from the environment sphere. 4096 RR3 occlusion samples, rendertime just under 90 min. with progressive raytracer final. So not exactly blistering fast, but (apparently) doable:) One good thing is that the emissive shader accepts all the usual specular- bump- displace- and normal maps. The weird thing is it says DAZ default shader, and you can choose the usual lighting models (glossy plastic, skin etc).  I simply put the base colormap in emissive color and used an SSS map for emissive strength.

RR3 TEST 1.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M